Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Tyrone 2-17 Cavan 1-4

A great confidence boost heading into the league.

Am I the only one thing Carr has made a serious f**k up of pre season sending out a team with effectively no 1st team players. He talked shite about regional games and they never happened and so instead he used the McKenna Cup for trials with embarrassing results. What good will this result be to new players?

From BBC Sport (since Aertel still has the score at 0-2 each, the score after 15 minutes, 1 hour after the match finihsed)

The throw-in for Tyrone's game against Cavan was delayed by 30 minutes because of fog at Healy Park.
Tyrone led by 1-8 to 0-3 at half-time, thanks to Donnelly's 33rd-minute goal and two points each from Niall McKenna and Eoin McCusker.
Donnelly added a second goal 15 minutes from the end as the Red Hands, with five members of the 2008 All-Ireland winning team on duty, ran out comfortable winners, despite Clarke's late goal.
Mattie Donnelly (0-3) and Peter Harte joined McKenna in the Tyrone half-forward line.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 23, 2010, 09:43:16 PM
Tyrone 2-17 Cavan 1-4

A great confidence boost heading into the league.

Am I the only one thing Carr has made a serious f**k up of pre season sending out a team with effectively no 1st team players. He talked shite about regional games and they never happened and so instead he used the McKenna Cup for trials with embarrassing results. What good will this result be to new players?

From BBC Sport (since Aertel still has the score at 0-2 each, the score after 15 minutes, 1 hour after the match finihsed)

The throw-in for Tyrone's game against Cavan was delayed by 30 minutes because of fog at Healy Park.
Tyrone led by 1-8 to 0-3 at half-time, thanks to Donnelly's 33rd-minute goal and two points each from Niall McKenna and Eoin McCusker.
Donnelly added a second goal 15 minutes from the end as the Red Hands, with five members of the 2008 All-Ireland winning team on duty, ran out comfortable winners, despite Clarke's late goal.
Mattie Donnelly (0-3) and Peter Harte joined McKenna in the Tyrone half-forward line.
Myles I agree that the preparation of the panel was poor but he has most of last year's panel this year that's available to him but the colleges set-up has crippled us. Apart from Galligan and Lyng everybody else available was used.
I was at the game and in the second half it was pretty embaressing. One good point was Conor Smith who won a lot of ball but had no support as we basically were playing in our own half. Sean Brady was very poor at full-forward and will be lucky to stay on the panel in my opinion.

tierworker blue

Could'nt travel meself...did'nt sound pretty.
On a totally different subject, I heard that the great Mick Higgins passed away last night. It was told to me as a 'rumour' though...anyone have any better info on whether it's true or not?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tierworker blue on January 24, 2010, 10:13:49 PM
On a totally different subject, I heard that the great Mick Higgins passed away last night. It was told to me as a 'rumour' though...anyone have any better info on whether it's true or not?

I really hope that is not true. I have been reading quite a bit on Mick Higgins of late in one book or another and it would be very sad to hear the last surviving member of the polo grounds team had died. I'll say no more until we know some more.

tierworker blue

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 24, 2010, 10:46:59 PM

I really hope that is not true. I have been quiet a bit on Mick Higgins of late in one book or another and it would be very sad to hear the last surviving member of the polo grounds team had died. I'll say no more until we know some more.

Hopefully there's no truth to it. I'll put some other feelers out...

boojangles

Quote from: tierworker blue on January 24, 2010, 11:11:27 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 24, 2010, 10:46:59 PM

I really hope that is not true. I have been quiet a bit on Mick Higgins of late in one book or another and it would be very sad to hear the last surviving member of the polo grounds team had died. I'll say no more until we know some more.

Hopefully there's no truth to it. I'll put some other feelers out...

I know that he was quite poor last week. Didnt hear anything since.

Dougal

there was a rumour going round,but as of sat nite it was untrue.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

North Longford

Went to the U21 game on Saturday. Serious fog and didn't know any of the Cavan lads. Think Rory Dunne might have been full back and Givney midfield just going on the chat beside me.
Givney was very good as was his midfield partner. Longford had to change there 2 midfielders after 20 minutes. They brought on what would be there normal midfielder at half time and it evened things up a bit. Cavans 2 lads were very mobile as well as being good in the air.
Despite the 13 to 2 scorline the game was a good bit closer possession wise just Cavan were much more clinical up front and when the chances presented themselves they generally took them. Dunne struggled a bit at full back. Believe it or not the Longford full forward missed 4 1 on 1's with the keeper, 3 were saved and one wide. The keeper actually saved a 5th 1 on 1 and seemed to be a very good shot stopper. Smallish guy though.
As I say not sure how near to full strength Cavan were. Longford wouldn't have been full strength but would have a good few of the lads that would be starting. Had a few brainless bucks which didn't help there cause. Why pass the ball 20 yards to a team mate when you can kick it to the opposition 50 yards away!!!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: North Longford on January 26, 2010, 12:02:57 PM
Went to the U21 game on Saturday. Serious fog and didn't know any of the Cavan lads. Think Rory Dunne might have been full back and Givney midfield just going on the chat beside me.
Givney was very good as was his midfield partner. Longford had to change there 2 midfielders after 20 minutes. They brought on what would be there normal midfielder at half time and it evened things up a bit. Cavans 2 lads were very mobile as well as being good in the air.
Despite the 13 to 2 scorline the game was a good bit closer possession wise just Cavan were much more clinical up front and when the chances presented themselves they generally took them. Dunne struggled a bit at full back. Believe it or not the Longford full forward missed 4 1 on 1's with the keeper, 3 were saved and one wide. The keeper actually saved a 5th 1 on 1 and seemed to be a very good shot stopper. Smallish guy though.
As I say not sure how near to full strength Cavan were. Longford wouldn't have been full strength but would have a good few of the lads that would be starting. Had a few brainless bucks which didn't help there cause. Why pass the ball 20 yards to a team mate when you can kick it to the opposition 50 yards away!!!
Thanks for that NL
not good to hear about the problems at full back on the under 21's aswell.
Good to hear the midfield played well.
wonder was it Gearoid McKiernan/Tomas Reily alongside him there?

North Longford

Not sure about the midfielders. The centre forward was a big guy. Very blonde hair and did quite well too. Could have been Declan something. Got himself sent off in the middle of the second half very stupidly though. 2 Yellows in a minute both deserved.
Very fast game. Think the pitch has something to do with that. No bad bounces there. One of the Cavan corner backs was very impressive. Wasn't even sure who the Longford corner forward was but the corner back was very sticky and got a hand in an awful lot.. Wing backs like to bomb forward and support the play a lot too. Daniel something was one of them I think.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: North Longford on January 26, 2010, 12:33:00 PM
Not sure about the midfielders. The centre forward was a big guy. Very blonde hair and did quite well too. Could have been Declan something. Got himself sent off in the middle of the second half very stupidly though. 2 Yellows in a minute both deserved.
Very fast game. Think the pitch has something to do with that. No bad bounces there. One of the Cavan corner backs was very impressive. Wasn't even sure who the Longford corner forward was but the corner back was very sticky and got a hand in an awful lot.. Wing backs like to bomb forward and support the play a lot too. Daniel something was one of them I think.
Declan McKiernan,Dougal and Myles,clubmate,big strong lad with all the skills would have been the centre forward.
corner back could have been Damien Barkey of Ramor who is highly rated within the county,not sure.
Thanks of the info anyway NL.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 26, 2010, 12:38:45 PM
Quote from: North Longford on January 26, 2010, 12:33:00 PM
Declan McKiernan,Dougal and Myles,clubmate,big strong lad with all the skills would have been the centre forward.
corner back could have been Damien Barkey of Ramor who is highly rated within the county,not sure.
Thanks of the info anyway NL.

Not like Declan to be stupidly sent off ::)

Dougal

when i saw declan,thought it might of been the gaels lad,then saw he got sent off,be a safe bet it was mckiernan.thomas reilly wasnt playing from what i heard.would of thought givney wouldnt of been playing either,him having a game with sligo the next day.do they have any games this weekend??

Dougal

first round of the league starting first weekend in april.hopefully il be able to get my hands on the master fixture list tomorrow.