Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: Dougal on January 19, 2010, 11:36:56 PM
well,if its too improve standard regardless of the weaker players then i feel amalgamations are the way forward.infact i feel the're the way forward,without leaving out the weaker players.just realised i jumped the gun a bit,seeing as an A team cant go down to junior B its not really a problem(apart from weaker players,as mentioned before),unless of course you believe in burnout.

It is gonna take another few years before the amalgamations will work I feel. I'm not sure what point your making about weaker players. The Junior Championship is ideal to bring good young players through who are just not ready for Senior football,Cavan Gaels obviously being an example. Cavan Gaels had a strong Junior team this year with lads who had played Senior football but Butlersbridge put them out. IMO there are a few Junior clubs who spend too much time giving out about having to play against clubs 2nd teams and not enough time trying to improve themselves or their Underage.

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on January 20, 2010, 07:28:35 AM
well,if its too improve standard regardless of the weaker players then i feel amalgamations are the way forward.infact i feel the're the way forward,without leaving out the weaker players.just realised i jumped the gun a bit,seeing as an A team cant go down to junior B its not really a problem(apart from weaker players,as mentioned before),unless of course you believe in burnout.

It is gonna take another few years before the amalgamations will work I feel. I'm not sure what point your making about weaker players. The Junior Championship is ideal to bring good young players through who are just not ready for Senior football,Cavan Gaels obviously being an example. Cavan Gaels had a strong Junior team this year with lads who had played Senior football but Butlersbridge put them out. IMO there are a few Junior clubs who spend too much time giving out about having to play against clubs 2nd teams and not enough time trying to improve themselves or their Underage.

Couldn't agree more with ya Boojangles.  If I am right and last year's league structure has been done away with, it's a step backward.

Take our junior team, narrowly avoided relegation in 08 and were relegated to division 6 last year but now (if I'm right) we are now in Division 2A - effectively avoiding relegation.

Maghera is another example, relegated in 08, in Division 4 last year and fared badly but now they are just thrown back into Division 3 and can't be relegated from there. 

So Maghera were basically promoted and we avoided relegation without merit....  :-\
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Lawrence of Knockbride

From Hoganstand. Doesn't anbody think that this is all bullshit and was done to avoid the mess created by the Gowna suspension. The bit I can't figure is why all the clubs went for it. There's no mention of the two groups in division 1 so we're going to end up playing more games than this year which wasn't completed and the worthless semi-final & final approach is still being followed.
Somebody please shed some positive light on this for me.

Shannon Gaels Proposal - Passed at County Board Meeting

Div 1 16 teams,
Denn , Lavey, Kingscourt ,Killeshandra, Belturbet , Redhills ,Cavan Gaels ,Castlerahan ,Gowna ,Mullahoran ,Cuchulainns ,Ramor Utd, Crosserlough, Ballinagh, Lacken and Killygarry

Div 2 13 teams,
Butlersbridge, Bailieboro, Drumlane, Knockbride, Cavan Gaels, Cootehill, Kill, Drung, Shercock, Killinkere, Drumalee, Ballyhaise and Drumgoon.

Div 3 14 teams, Mountnugent ,Killygarry ,Muntirconnacht ,Kingscourt ,Corlough ,Laragh Utd., Maghera ,Ballymachugh ,Kildallan ,Arva ,Shannon Gaels ,Swanlinbar ,Cornafean ,and Templeport.

Reserve Div 1, 13 teams,
Denn , Lavey, , Belturbet , Redhills ,Cavan Gaels ,Castlerahan ,Gowna ,Mullahoran ,Cuchulainns ,Ramor Utd, Crosserlough, Ballinagh, Lacken.

Reserve Div 2, 12 teams
Butlersbridge, Bailieboro, Drumlane, Knockbride, Cootehill, Kill, Drung, Shercock , Killinkere , Drumalee ,Ballyhaise and Drumgoon.

Reserve Div 3, 16 teams,
Mountnugent ,Killygarry ,Muntirconnacht ,Mullahoran, Corlough ,Killinkere ,Laragh Utd., Maghera ,Ballymachugh ,Kildallan ,Arva ,Shannon Gaels ,Swanlinbar ,Killeshandra ,Cornafean ,and Templeport.

If there are any other clubs wishing to enter a third team this will be acceptable and that team will be placed in Reserve Div 3.
Reserve league Div 3 will be 13 a side.

Div 1
Bottom 2 teams on points in Div 1 relegated to Div 2
Top 4 teams qualify for league semi finals.

Div 2
Top 2 teams on points are promoted to Div 1
No relegation for 2010

Div 3
Top 3 teams on points are promoted to Div 2. (Top 3 is for 2010 only, top 2 from 2011)
No relegation unless Kingscourt or Killygarry finish in the bottom 2 positions and either Killygarry or Kingscourt or both will be relegated to reserve Div 1.depending on what position they finish. No other team can be relegated.

Reserve Div 1
Promotion from reserve Div 1 is on request from the team that finishes in 1st position.

Relegation in the Reserve leagues Div 1 v to Div 2 and Div 2 to Div 3 is optional.
Double fixtures will be played where possible.
Each year before a specified date clubs participating in division 1 and 2 shall submit a list of Twelve players and in the case of division 3 a list of ten and these are to be reviewed after three games by the CCC. Any Club with a third team will play in division 3A and the club will need to name a further ten players.

Lawrence of Knockbride

1-12 to 1-08 lads and man was that second half performance woeful. Medals should be given for anyone travelling to omagh on Saturday night. More later when it sinks in.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on January 20, 2010, 09:20:43 PM
1-12 to 1-08 lads and man was that second half performance woeful. Medals should be given for anyone travelling to omagh on Saturday night. More later when it sinks in.

win or lose?

Denn Forever

Them.

Smith looked quite good in the first half, demanding ball and a few nice points.

St Marys were much better at picking off points and keedping things ticking over.  Cavn very sparodic and really out played.  We can take comfort that St Marys have been  going since October and are gearing up for the Sigerson.

God it was cold on a dark and misty night (sound like Hardstation).
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 20, 2010, 10:10:06 PM
Them.

Smith looked quite good in the first half, demanding ball and a few nice points.

St Marys were much better at picking off points and keedping things ticking over.  Cavn very sparodic and really out played.  We can take comfort that St Marys have been  going since October and are gearing up for the Sigerson.

God it was cold on a dark and misty night (sound like Hardstation).

I know its only McKenna cup but didn't Tyrone just trounce St Marys on Saturday. I'd be afraid what this team will get of Tyrone. Winning is a habit and getting a hammering of Tyrone would be bad news for the start of the League imo.

Dougal

Quote from: boojangles on January 20, 2010, 07:28:35 AM

ye,it will surely take years for them to work,but i do think they'll work in the long run.ah just ignore me boo,the more i think of it the more i realise im wrong.

nesty good again tonight,1-04 i think it was.first half we played decent but as denn forever said,2nd half was woeful.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

handballer09

www.anglocelt.ie

Cavan 0-8
St Mary's 1-12

A dire second half performance saw Cavan slip to a disappointing defeat to a fired-up St Mary's side last night (Wednesday) at Breffni Park.
Cavan led at half-time by 1-5 to 0-6, their scores coming from Gareth Smith (two frees, two from play and a superb penalty) and Donal Thomas.
However, they were to rue their incredible first half tally of 11 wides, as St Mary's made all the running after the break and deservedly pulled level midway through the half.
Cavan rallied with a good point from sub Mark McKeever but the students buried a late, late goal to put the result beyond doubt.
Cavan manager Tom Carr admitted after the match that some players have played themselves off the side over the past two matches, but was bullish about Saturday's trip to Omagh, stating that he was 'looking forward to the challenge'.
Among those to impress in an experimental Cavan line-up were Gareth Smith (who was withdrawn at half-time due, revealed Carr, to a packed schedule), Eoin McGuigan and Martin Cahill, who lined out at wing-forward.

Full coverage in next week's Anglo-Celt.

BallyhaiseMan

Doesnt sound good at all,seeing as Tyrone annihilated St Marys at the weekend.
What was the team that lined out lads?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Team was:
Murphy
Lynch
Corr
Declan Reilly
Johnston
Joey Jordan
Padraig Reilly
McGuigan
Durkan
Nesty
Madden
Cahill
Bud Fitz
Thomas
McCabe

McKeever came on for Nesty at half-time. Conor Smith,O'Dowd,Walsh and Hannon came on for McCabe,Lynch,Durkan and Declan Reilly in the second half

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on January 20, 2010, 06:37:24 PM

Reserve Div 2, 12 teams
Butlersbridge, Bailieboro, Drumlane, Knockbride, Cootehill, Kill, Drung, Shercock , Killinkere , Drumalee ,Ballyhaise and Drumgoon.

That better not be true.

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on January 21, 2010, 11:15:30 AM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on January 20, 2010, 06:37:24 PM

Reserve Div 2, 12 teams

That better not be true.

Yea exactly, drumalee finished 5th in Division 4 and you're rewarded is being relegated.....   Knockbride didn't finish bottom and shouldn't go down either

BallyhaiseMan

Maghera who only survived in Division 4 because Drumlane always seem to struggle at junior level,are promoted to Division 3!!!
Yet Drumalee and Knockbride juniors who were both far better last year are relegated to Division 5.

Only in Cavan.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 21, 2010, 02:04:48 PM
Maghera who only survived in Division 4 because Drumlane always seem to struggle at junior level,are promoted to Division 3!!!
Yet Drumalee and Knockbride juniors who were both far better last year are relegated to Division 5.

Only in Cavan.

Exactly and I'll wager a good number of junior games will go the way they did a couple of years ago... they will be played after senior games and the ref wants to get home and says "right, I'm only gonna play 20 minutes a side"....

Holy jaysus if there is something I hate more in the GAA than hearing that...