Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Drung on January 18, 2010, 11:29:31 AM
BallyhaiseMan,

Have you ever seen Eoin McGuigan before? He's about 6 foot 2, I'd say about 15 stone. That's big.

Anything else emerge from saturday's match? I hear Nesty was good. Any of the Under 21s look like making the step up???

Back to hibernation for me.
6'2 is not BIG for Senior inter county midfield Drung,
Its a good size and you can get away with it,if you're an exceptional  Footballer like Sean Cavanagh or Darragh O Se or even a good player like,Fergal Doherty,Marty McGrath,Paddy Keenan and own Dermot McCabe.
We have no footballers at midfield good enough under or around 6'2 who can compete with good opposition Midfielders in this county.
what do the following midfielders at IC level have in common,most of whom are fairly decent players  ;)
Nicholas Murphy
John Galvin
Neil Gallagher
Ross McConnell
James Stafford
Thomas Walsh
Dermot Early
Ronan McGarrity
Any of the Galway contingent,such as Barry Cullinane and Niall Coleman
Brendan Quigley
Dan Gordon
Kieran Toner
Eoin Lennon

Have you got it yet?
if not,Here it is they are all 6'3 or over.
Lastly Eoin McGuigan is only around 6'1,hes a good player,whom ive played against and deserves a place on the county panel,not at Midfield though.

Denn Forever

I hear Nesty was good

Undersatement that.  7 points from a total of 9!  Wasn't at the game but a new free taker.  Is he rigt or left footed?  A tandom pair of left/right footed free takers would be good.

A good Denn contingent.  Where would you play Tomas Corr?  If he was in the half back line, it might be a powder keg with him and Cahill.  Passion in abundance but can they do controlled aggression?

Is it St Marys in the park n Wednesday at 8.00?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Lawrence of Knockbride

7:30 in the park according to aertel and Nesty kicks with the left. Tyrone away next weekend but not sure if it's Saturday or Sunday.

BallyhaiseMan

Raymond Galligan was the star of the show as Athlone IT beat Carlow 0-12 to 0-8
He scored 0-5(0-2 from frees) at full forward.
Martin Reily was playing with DIT.
Dermot Sheridan and Seanie were playing with DCU.
Eugene Keating and David Givney comprised the midfield for Sligo IT.

Denn Forever

Economic downturn affects Cavan Team.  The search for the new Cavan goalkeeper starts.

Best of luck James.

Carr confirms Reilly departure

Cavan keeper James Reilly
19 January 2010

Cavan manager Tommy Carr has confirmed that the county's All-Star nominated goalkeeper James Reilly is unlikely to be involved this year.

Reilly, who has represented Ulster in the Inter-provincial series and was nominated for an All-Star in 2008, is considering a move to England in search of employment.

Carr said: "James indicated that he didn't think he would be able to give the commitment. He was talking of going to England in search of work."

In Reilly's expected absence, Redhills' Fintan Reilly and Drumlane's Darren Murphy - a brother of Fermanagh midfielder Mark Murphy - are set to battle it out for the number one jersey.

Meanwhile, Carr has praised the impact of Dublin-born player Gareth 'Nesty' Smith since he joined the Breffni County set-up. Smith, who qualifies to play for Cavan through his Mountnugent-born parents and has been a leading performer for St. Oliver Plunkett's/Eoghan Ruadh in the Dublin SFC for a number of years, marked his inter-county debut by scoring 0-7 in last Saturday night's McKenna Cup defeat to Donegal.

"He's a good forward who knows what to do with the ball," the former Dublin and Roscommon manager added.

means what he says...

Dougal

denn and lavey have not been relegated from div1.this year there will be two groups of 8 teams in div1.also,at the county meeting last night,gowna put forward a motion that for championship,all teams name 15 players and 2 subs,all other players are eligeble for junior championship.seemingly a good few clubs agreed (mainly senior),i personally think it would be a disgrace if this happened.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Lawrence of Knockbride

Heard that this morning and let me start the conspiracy theories.
As I hear it, Gowna won their appeal against their suspension last year. So the county board are left with the scenario that Gowna's games need to be played the impact of which may have an affect on the relegation battle with possible appeals from Lavey & Denn on the horizon. So what better way to brush everything under the carpet than to allow both relegated teams to stay in the division so nobody has a gripe.
Of course this isn't the case but I just thought I'd be a divil.  ;)
Coincidentally, I hear that it was our new County Chairman's club that put forward this proposal which was passed comfortably.

boojangles

Quote from: Dougal on January 19, 2010, 12:09:55 PM
denn and lavey have not been relegated from div1.this year there will be two groups of 8 teams in div1.also,at the county meeting last night,gowna put forward a motion that for championship,all teams name 15 players and 2 subs,all other players are eligeble for junior championship.seemingly a good few clubs agreed (mainly senior),i personally think it would be a disgrace if this happened.

Why?

Dougal

lets take the gaels for example,they could not name sean johnston in their starting 15 and 2 subs,so he could play junior.unless of course ive picked it up wrong (which is quite possible)

Lawrence of Knockbride

Any idea how the two groups would work Dougal?

Dougal

i didnt question the messenger just yet,im going to ask him tomorrow though,so il keep you informed.i heard the phone bill in breffni last year was into 10's of thousands,surely that cant be normal?not much of a stand going up for the 3G pitch either.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Dougal on January 19, 2010, 07:43:17 PM
i didnt question the messenger just yet,im going to ask him tomorrow though,so il keep you informed.i heard the phone bill in breffni last year was into 10's of thousands,surely that cant be normal?not much of a stand going up for the 3G pitch either.

Aye heard the same about Lavey and Denn getting out of jail - handy one that alright...  No harm in keeping them up there either  :P :P

No need for a stand on the 3 G pitch either, that's not what it is for.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

Well Damian has to plan for division 1.  We can't be as bad as last season (but I could be wrong).

Thank you Gowna (never thought I'd be saying that!!).
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: Dougal on January 19, 2010, 06:40:03 PM
lets take the gaels for example,they could not name sean johnston in their starting 15 and 2 subs,so he could play junior.unless of course ive picked it up wrong (which is quite possible)

Im sure like the way the first 12 for League is checked a first 17 (or whatever the case may be) would have to be checked also. No hope Sean Johnston or the like could be ommitted.Is the Re-Grading of players still necessary?
The way I see it is that if it improves the standard of the Junior Championship then it will improve the standard of Cavan football in general. Junior clubs will just have to step up to it if this is passed.

Dougal

well,if its too improve standard regardless of the weaker players then i feel amalgamations are the way forward.infact i feel the're the way forward,without leaving out the weaker players.just realised i jumped the gun a bit,seeing as an A team cant go down to junior B its not really a problem(apart from weaker players,as mentioned before),unless of course you believe in burnout.