Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up

Quote from: boojangles on December 05, 2009, 06:46:05 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on December 05, 2009, 06:11:42 PM
yeah it went ahead, Bailiebrough won by 3-03 to 0-4 to set up a final with Ballyhaise.

Awful time of year to have young lads playing ball. Not helping the standard of football or the participation levels. Why is it not played before the senior championships commence? It all be done and dusted in 4-5 weeks if ran well in April or so.

My own club have a motion in for convention to change the time of the U-21 Championship.Any of yous with a voice in the club might get on to your Reps to try and get some backing for it. It only makes sense in my eyes and anybody I talk to seems to agree.

Completely agree Boojangles. If it was ran in  or around April that gives young lads an incentive to get back involved, get fit and then when thats over to try and kick on and make your senior team for the summer.

At the moment most u21's just arse around all year, and come back after the seniors are out for a kick about. Saying that because it is freezin cold and pitches are shit I know a lot that just dont bother. The current format does not encourage the young lads  to stay involved throughout the year with their clubs.

And as I mentioned before, because it has been ran at this time of year anyone that plays county u21 gets no rest whatsoever and then throw Sigerson commitments and the likes of that on top. Lads do need a month off just to chill out, you agree?

Hope that motion gets passed Boojanles

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on December 05, 2009, 06:50:57 PM
yeah it went ahead, Bailiebrough won by 3-03 to 0-4 to set up a final with Ballyhaise.

Awful time of year to have young lads playing ball. Not helping the standard of football or the participation levels. Why is it not played before the senior championships commence? It all be done and dusted in 4-5 weeks if ran well in April or so.

My own club have a motion in for convention to change the time of the U-21 Championship.Any of yous with a voice in the club might get on to your Reps to try and get some backing for it. It only makes sense in my eyes and anybody I talk to seems to agree.

I agree to changing the time of it in principle Boojangles.  Any suggestions to when?

Good to see a local team doing well :D :D

Could be a decent enough final - again weather permitting

Everything going well, in April,but if not then even in February or March when it used to start.Anything would be better than the situation we have-for the reasons that Put-it-Up has mentioned.
Ideally all Under-21s should be training and playing with their 1st or 2nd team but that isn't the case in alot of clubs.The more lads participating the better so if we can get U-21s out at the start of the year we have a better chance of keeping them until after the summer anyway.

put-it-up

Quote from: boojangles on December 05, 2009, 07:08:18 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on December 05, 2009, 06:50:57 PM

I agree to changing the time of it in principle Boojangles.  Any suggestions to when?

Good to see a local team doing well :D :D

Could be a decent enough final - again weather permitting

Everything going well, in April,but if not then even in February or March when it used to start.Anything would be better than the situation we have-for the reasons that Put-it-Up has mentioned.
Ideally all Under-21s should be training and playing with their 1st or 2nd team but that isn't the case in alot of clubs.The more lads participating the better so if we can get U-21s out at the start of the year we have a better chance of keeping them until after the summer anyway.

Really hope that is well backed at the meeting and to be honest I don't see how anyone can defend it's current time! Today is the 5th of December and my club played a semi-final. Absolute Joke. I don't think any u21 would object to a championship being run in March and April.

I really do think it would boost numbers and most lads would probably stay involved until their club is out of the championship.

In my opinion there should be no games in Nov and Dec but I understand it is a fairly hard task to organise. But what is the point of a GAA training ban on county teams if our Division 1 league still isn't finished and a christmas tree is lit up across my front room!!!!

County Boards all over the country should be fined for not organising fixtures properly and gettin things wrapped up on time- that would fairly whip them into shape.

boojangles

Ramor won the U-21 Final today beating Belturbet,1-9 to 0-7 I believe.

boojangles

Quote from: descartes on December 07, 2009, 11:12:29 AM
QuoteEverything going well, in April,but if not then even in February or March when it used to start.Anything would be better than the situation we have-for the reasons that Put-it-Up has mentioned.

definitely agree it should be played some other time of the year but how many of you had minors playing u21 for your clubs in the past few weeks? the minor leagues are running in feb/march/april. the alot of lads are involved in sigerson cup areound this time too, and the county u21 team are at the height of their preparations too.  the thing to do would play the u21 championship in summer. everyone seems to complain about the break every summer because of cavan playing in the championship/qualifiers. well play the u21s durning this time period. sure some lads will be away traveling, or in america, one or 2 mght be involved with cavan, but at least it gives clubs something to focus on for a few weeks. good weather, good pitches, it'd bring on the u21 players alot and when the senior/intermediate/junior chapionships recommence they would be ready to make a bigger contribution to their clubs. you could even play the games mid week because 90% of young lads will be home for the summer. as someone said, the whole thing could be run off over 4/5/6 weeks. less if they played mid week. this is what happened in monaghan this year and apparently it was a success.

By alll means if they can fit it in during the summer it would be great.Everythin you said makes sense.But I don't see the CB going for it.
I was down at the full-size 3G pitch at Breifni the other day,it is coming on well. Should be ready for February Id say.

Celt_Man

Just in case any man hasn't seen them yet...

Bouts for 'Battle of Breffni' revealed
The Battle of Breffni GAA Fight Night
07 December 2009

1 Mark McKeever v Ronan Flanagan

2 Ray Galligan v Tomas Reilly

3 Conor Smith v Martin Reilly

4 John McCutcheon v Gearoid McKiernan

5 Brendan Fitzpatrick v Gareth Smith

6 John Cunningham v Eoin McGuigan

7 Alan Clarke v Ray Cullivan

8 Martin Cahill v Cian Mackey

9 Nicholas Walsh v Maclean Burke

10 Mark Johnson v Michael Lyng

11 Eoin Smith v Dane O'Dowd

12 Ciaran Galligan v David Givney

13 Allen Durkin v Eugene Keating

14 Padraic O'Reilly v Dermot Sheridan

This Friday, December 11th, the Imperial Bar, Cavan Town, will open its doors at 8pm and the first fight is at 8.30pm sharp, with three by 1.5 minute rounds for each fight.

Tickets priced at 25 euro each. Over 18's only, neat dress essential and entry to the night club is included in the cost of the ticket.

Tickets are available from players in the county squad or local outlets.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

Quote from: Celt_Man on December 08, 2009, 06:40:40 PM
Just in case any man hasn't seen them yet...

Bouts for 'Battle of Breffni' revealed
The Battle of Breffni GAA Fight Night
07 December 2009

1 Mark McKeever v Ronan Flanagan

2 Ray Galligan v Tomas Reilly

3 Conor Smith v Martin Reilly

4 John McCutcheon v Gearoid McKiernan

5 Brendan Fitzpatrick v Gareth Smith

6 John Cunningham v Eoin McGuigan

7 Alan Clarke v Ray Cullivan

9 Nicholas Walsh v Maclean Burke

10 Mark Johnson v Michael Lyng

11 Eoin Smith v Dane O'Dowd

12 Ciaran Galligan v David Givney

13 Allen Durkin v Eugene Keating

14 Padraic O'Reilly v Dermot Sheridan

This Friday, December 11th, the Imperial Bar, Cavan Town, will open its doors at 8pm and the first fight is at 8.30pm sharp, with three by 1.5 minute rounds for each fight.

Tickets priced at 25 euro each. Over 18's only, neat dress essential and entry to the night club is included in the cost of the ticket.

Tickets are available from players in the county squad or local outlets.

Anyone else think that the highlighted parts are funny???  ;D

Denn Forever

The clash of the Maroons.  Come on Martin.

Don't you just think that boxing is just barbaric.

I wonder will it be 2008 or 2009 captain that will prevail?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

The County Convention is on in the Drumavaddy Community Centre in Crosskeys tonight... Just after hearing that the lights have gone out and the whole crowd are sitting in darkness!!! 

What an opportunity to nail a few boys at the top table or referees in attendance and get away scot free!!!!

Denn Forever, you're hardly a local electrician by any chance??  :D

handballer09

www.anglocelt.ie

Shannon Gaels' Tom Reilly is the new chairman of the Cavan county GAA board following tonight's convention in Drumavaddy Hall, writes Paul Fitzpatrick.
Reilly defeated Packie McKiernan by 95 votes to 44 after Mark Gillick (Cavan Gaels) was eliminated in the first round of voting.
Paddy Reilly (Shercock) had a one-sided win over incumbent John Argue in the election for Youth Board chairman while Mark O'Rourke (Ballyhaise) defeated Killygarry clubman Enda Mulvany 93-46 for the Youth Officer position.
John Cassidy completed a good night for Shannon Gaels by taking the Youth Board secretary position, beating John Emo of Butlersbridge by 81 to 58.

Swadman

"The Wests awake" Congrats to my neighbours Tom & John though I wouldn't put it past Tom to have poured all Mark Gillics first round votes into his own bucket during the "lights out" moment. 

sheelinside

any results/points of interest from the imperial friday night?

whats the story on Tom Reilly? can we expect any changes or new direction in board policy?

boojangles

Ballyhaise won the Div 2 Under 21 Championship today 1-12 to 1-5. Ray Cullivan gave an exhibition of high fielding,and he rightfully picked up the MOTM award. The experimental 'Mark' rule will definitely be an advantage to Ray.

boojangles

No word out of BallyhaiseMan,he must be still on the sauce. He is staying very quiet lately,I believe he mite be leaving these shores for DownUnder,he is probably trying to ween himself off GAABoard.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: boojangles on December 14, 2009, 04:23:28 PM
No word out of BallyhaiseMan,he must be still on the sauce. He is staying very quiet lately,I believe he mite be leaving these shores for DownUnder,he is probably trying to ween himself off GAABoard.

Maybe, like me, he is trying to forget last year so when January comes and the McKenna cup starts I can pretend there is some hope for the future :-[