Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Dougal on November 15, 2009, 01:22:23 PM
no,i dont remember that slasher,when was that?i dont remember much before 06.

Ronan Fitz was manager the last time we put an amalgamation into the snr championship I Think, so I am going  to guess 2000/2001?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: put-it-up on November 15, 2009, 05:45:46 PM
Quote from: boojangles on November 14, 2009, 03:50:04 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on November 14, 2009, 01:48:04 PM
I hear a few of our 97 batch are getting involved with teams this year.

Forde and Ronan Carolan are in as selectors with the u21's along with Hyland and I think Jayo is in with the minors with Mickey along with Peter Donnelly.

I think its Forde and Peter Donnelly with the Minors Put-it-Up. Hadnt heard anything about Jayo. While I have great time for Ronan Carolan who is a great players man, I really don't know about this age old practice of throwing former county players into jobs. I would like to know what experience Anthony Forde has managing and coaching teams. Mickey Graham came the right road and won things, I think all ex-players should serve their time coaching with their clubs,doing courses etc before they are considered for County teams. Whats wrong with looking at clubs for selectors for our U-16 and Minor teams?

Sorry Boojangles, Forde is definetly in with the u21's. As far as I am aware it was his choice which team he went in with. And I would completely disagree with you on that point.

Forde, Carolan and Jayo have experienced sucess and know what it takes to win. At the at end of the day, they are in as selectors. The team has a trainer to train to them and a manager to deal with the bulk of managerial issues. I know I would rather someone that has played the game for years, seen and done it giving me advice come championship than a spoofer who has a badge from the GAA no? I appreciate that we need as many people as we can getting involved in coaching courses but from a players perspective who would you prefer in and around the camp?

It's half time in an Ulster QF, do you want Anthony Forde encouraging you and giving you tips or a lad from Arva or Kingscourt that is on level two in the coaching courses?

And Lawrence that wing-forward would be a brothers of Pauric. Is lightning quick and was very impressive when on the county minors for two years. Might play a role with the u21s this year.
Yes, deceptively fast but doesn't be in the game enough.
As for your analysis of the coaching set-up if you took your Ulster QF scenario and subbed Forde for Stephen King you might get a different answer. The point is, and you touched on it, is that you need a coach who has done the necessary courses etc. You need a manager with tactical awareness and you need selectors to back him up. If those selectors have a good wealth of experience of high level games then all the better but it doesn't necessarily make them good selectors. You could have an individual, for example, that doesn't speak his mind enough or doesn't like to step on people's toes which would be no addition. Not as black and white as you put it but from reading your other posts I'd assume that you didn't mean it come over that way?

put-it-up

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on November 15, 2009, 05:55:11 PM

Forde and Ronan Carolan are in as selectors with the u21's along with Hyland and I think Jayo is in with the minors with Mickey along with Peter Donnelly.

I think its Forde and Peter Donnelly with the Minors Put-it-Up. Hadnt heard anything about Jayo. While I have great time for Ronan Carolan who is a great players man, I really don't know about this age old practice of throwing former county players into jobs. I would like to know what experience Anthony Forde has managing and coaching teams. Mickey Graham came the right road and won things, I think all ex-players should serve their time coaching with their clubs,doing courses etc before they are considered for County teams. Whats wrong with looking at clubs for selectors for our U-16 and Minor teams?

Sorry Boojangles, Forde is definetly in with the u21's. As far as I am aware it was his choice which team he went in with. And I would completely disagree with you on that point.

Forde, Carolan and Jayo have experienced sucess and know what it takes to win. At the at end of the day, they are in as selectors. The team has a trainer to train to them and a manager to deal with the bulk of managerial issues. I know I would rather someone that has played the game for years, seen and done it giving me advice come championship than a spoofer who has a badge from the GAA no? I appreciate that we need as many people as we can getting involved in coaching courses but from a players perspective who would you prefer in and around the camp?

It's half time in an Ulster QF, do you want Anthony Forde encouraging you and giving you tips or a lad from Arva or Kingscourt that is on level two in the coaching courses?

And Lawrence that wing-forward would be a brothers of Pauric. Is lightning quick and was very impressive when on the county minors for two years. Might play a role with the u21s this year.
Yes, deceptively fast but doesn't be in the game enough.
As for your analysis of the coaching set-up if you took your Ulster QF scenario and subbed Forde for Stephen King you might get a different answer. The point is, and you touched on it, is that you need a coach who has done the necessary courses etc. You need a manager with tactical awareness and you need selectors to back him up. If those selectors have a good wealth of experience of high level games then all the better but it doesn't necessarily make them good selectors. You could have an individual, for example, that doesn't speak his mind enough or doesn't like to step on people's toes which would be no addition. Not as black and white as you put it but from reading your other posts I'd assume that you didn't mean it come over that way?

No I didnt mean to stereotpye there. Obviously everyone is different and there are exceptions. But from talking to people about Anthony Forde and knowing Ronan Carolan I would be pretty sure I would prefer to be  taking advice from them than a person that has coaching badges. I wasn't for one second saying that every ex county player would make a better selector than others but the right characters who have previous experience is a big help, would u agree?

No manager knows it all ( even though some think they do!) but the key is to have a backroom team that supplements areas in which the manager is not the best. Its a hard thing to do, to get the right blend and you never know if something is going to work until its tried.

At least this year TC and his team can give 100% to the seniors and Hyland and his gang can focus in on their team, rather than having one manager worring about two teams. Whether there is any sucess or not this year, I think that is a step forward.

Denn Forever

Well done Lavey again.  I hear they won today by a few points.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Think you kinda mis-read what I was saying. My point basically is that a County player does not necessarily make a good coach/selector/manager. Im not saying anything about lads with coaching badges should be given jobs either. My point is that there are plenty of Coaches and managers involved in clubs in the county who would have a far better knowledge of the Underage scene than some ex-county player who  may not have set foot at any underage games in the last 10 years.AFAIK he has not been involved in any Cavan Gaels underage teams.

Which would you prefer? A selector who has managed his club to success, with experience in dealing with young players or a former County player who never managed or coached at underage,who may or may not be effective with younger players.

mylestheslasher

Jaysus it is quiet about here. So does anyone have any news on who is on the panel, friendlies etc. Tyrone is a great game to start with imo. You go up against one of the best and guage where you are.  No doubt we are well short but hopefully the players will realise that and work hard to close the gap.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 20, 2009, 06:32:06 PM
Jaysus it is quiet about here. So does anyone have any news on who is on the panel, friendlies etc. Tyrone is a great game to start with imo. You go up against one of the best and guage where you are.  No doubt we are well short but hopefully the players will realise that and work hard to close the gap.
Well we'll gauge how good we are against their reserves with what will probably turn out to be some of our reserves with little or no training done so I'm not sure how relevant a gauge it is.

beer baron

Any chance of the goonies upsetting kingscourt today?On form i'd be thinking no but the goonies have some good footballers if it all clicks on the day.Desperate conditions but hopefully decent game.

Dougal

Goonies 1-01 to 0-0.goal frm mcnaly after 10 secs,frm bout 45m out!1-3 to 0-6 at half time,drumgoon dwn to 14 men.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

drici

Celt_Man

Flipping hell it's quiet around these parts the last week or so...

Congrats to Kingscourt, well deserving of the Division 2 title after the manner they went about the league the whole year through despite the huge lay off (3 months maybe) they had to play their final 3 games before the knockout stages...

On a similar note, very disappointing that Breffni wasn't made available for the final, players put in a lot of effort during the year and I don't think it is unreasonable to expect to play senior finals in the county grounds....  Sometimes it can be protected too much, Pairc Tailteann in Navan is a great example for others, they play all sorts of finals there right down to the Junior B, C and D Championship finals - so what if there are small crowds at such a game, it suggests a level of respect for the competitions which is missing in some quarters

Anyone been at any of the Under 21 competitions - have to say I haven't been at one of them, just didn't have the interest so far when my club wasn't involved this year at all (that fault lies at our own door unfortunately) 

3 of the semi finals are down for decision this weekend with Bailieboro playing the Goonies in Kingscourt on Friday night and Ballyhaise taking on Laragh in Bawnboy on Saturday in Division 2 and Redbridge against Belturbet on Saturday in Division 1

What are Ballyhaise like this year BHMan?  A walkover in the first round against Drumalee (what is that all about Boojangles) and a big win against Cornafean although I suspect that the Reds aren't very strong at all...   Laragh could be a slippery one, they had a strong minor team 2 years ago (think they won a Div 2 title) and had a super win over a fancied Lavey side

Bailieboro and Goonies - wouldn't have a clue to be honest so no point in idle expectation

Redbridge and Belturbet - I think I'd be right in saying that there would be a serious local derby factor to this game... I think Belturbet have a good few of their seniors involved with Bud Fitz being the standout name, although RedBridge would have a lot of useful ex county minors and 21s from the past couple of years - could be a cracker

Also best of luck to Lavey in the Ulster Final this Sunday, I can safely say there isn't a soul about Cootehill who would begrudge them the title and a 1 in 5 shot at an All Ireland Crown!!  Meanwhile we will have to contend ourselves with getting plastered at our Dinner Dance on Saturday night!!!

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on November 24, 2009, 06:02:43 PM

my club wasn't involved this year at all (that fault lies at our own door unfortunately) 

A walkover in the first round against Drumalee (what is that all about Boojangles)

Very very disappointing Celt Man. Again our own fault-mostly the players, although I really feel the County Board have to have a look at this competition(which IMO is a brilliant competition if run well) and where they want to go with it. 3 weeks before the 1st round the CB still couldn't give an exact weekend.Its squeezed in at the end of the year and they don't give one f**k about it.
We had a panel of 19 including lads who couldn't make our Minor team. 10-12 lads were very keen but 3 or 4 were not. Some lads are playing soccer and TBH the Gaelic unfortunately comes second fiddle. 3 lads had to do some course the day of the Ballyhaise game and we asked the CB to re-fix and they couldn't so that was that. We literally couldn't field without the 3. In hindsight we should have looked about amalgamating with somebody but by the time the management realised the predicament we were in it was too late.

It is a worrying sign when 2 clubs in the 2 biggest towns in the County can't field an Under 21 team- something which no other than Pat Spillane mentioned in his Sunday World column last weekend. Not sure which club he was talking about,I don't always agree with Pat but here he is 100%.

beer baron

Watched the goonies v drumlane game a week or 2 back,Drumgoon only won by a point but were a lot better team.Drumlane were poor,the goonies had solid enough defence,Eamon Mc Cluskey full back read the game brilliantly-didn't even know the lad played ball.Pauric Mc Gorry hit some sweet scores despite breaking his nose early in the game.The lad that i thought would be Drumgoons main dangerman that day Dean Hand wasn't at the races at all,if he was on form he could cause the Bailieboro defence some serious headaches.

Dougal

anyone planning on making the trip to brewster to support lavey?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!