Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

On another note, Boojangles what do you make of your clubman's bid for Chairman of the county board?  I was surprised when I heard to say the least...

Would he be as good a chairman as he was a ref?  :-\
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on November 14, 2009, 04:08:47 PM
On another note, Boojangles what do you make of your clubman's bid for Chairman of the county board?  I was surprised when I heard to say the least...

Pass no remarks on that Celt Man.If he hasnt pulled out of the race already,he will have pulled out before the meeting,you can be sure of that.
Il give Tommy his dues,if he sets out to do something he would do it. As Chairman last year he organised a corporate night for the Club,at 100 quid a ticket. It was his idea and he did most of the work himself,selling all over the county and the club made good money off it.It definitely wasn't easy trying to push tickets at that price,but he did it.
But then he had a small argument over something stupid and resigned,and hasn't been seen around the club since.

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on November 14, 2009, 04:59:42 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on November 14, 2009, 04:08:47 PM

Pass no remarks on that Celt Man.If he hasnt pulled out of the race already,he will have pulled out before the meeting,you can be sure of that.
Il give Tommy his dues,if he sets out to do something he would do it. As Chairman last year he organised a corporate night for the Club,at 100 quid a ticket. It was his idea and he did most of the work himself,selling all over the county and the club made good money off it.It definitely wasn't easy trying to push tickets at that price,but he did it.
But then he had a small argument over something stupid and resigned,and hasn't been seen around the club since.

Aye heard that that corporate night was a good night and a good success - and they are a hard sell too.  Fair play to him, just read a few of his comments in the Celt, didn't make for good reading to be honest.  But not too worry then.
That falling out over small shite sickens me too, happens all the time and if my club is anything to go by it is usually matters off the field.

By the way, I was in Drumalee a couple of weeks ago for an underage match which needed the floodlights for the last ten minutes or so.  The new lights are a great job - fair play to ya.  Although I'm surprised you don't have some on the side opposite the stand that would leave it well set up for good games under lights (maybe not to the competitive standard but a fairly useful addition to the club all the same)
Would you know much about the process behind putting them up?

boojangles

The lights are a massive addition alright.Now all we need to do is make the business end of the year and we'l get full use of them. In 04,05 and 06 we were training in darkness at this time of the year,and giving out stink. TBH the way they are at the moment we would get away with training on the full field with them.We decided not to put lights the other side for the time being. One of the reasons being,the pressure from the CB for use of the field etc.It is a new field and it takes looking after.
Most of the work was done locally.A local builder dug the trenches to lay all the lines,and then he poured the bases for the lights. We got an Electrician who organised the rest of it,with the help of one of the Senior players who is also an electrician.I can't remember the exact figures but I think 50 grand covered it. The fundraising is the big job but I think we qualifed for a grant to cover a small amount.
Its a step by step process but we have a good field,good lights now the aim has to be a big Club house.
Are Cootehill thinking of getting lights?
Any truth in the rumour that your manager walked after the Ballyhaise game??

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on November 14, 2009, 06:02:58 PM
The lights are a massive addition alright.Now all we need to do is make the business end of the year and we'l get full use of them. In 04,05 and 06 we were training in darkness at this time of the year,and giving out stink. TBH the way they are at the moment we would get away with training on the full field with them.We decided not to put lights the other side for the time being. One of the reasons being,the pressure from the CB for use of the field etc.It is a new field and it takes looking after.
Most of the work was done locally.A local builder dug the trenches to lay all the lines,and then he poured the bases for the lights. We got an Electrician who organised the rest of it,with the help of one of the Senior players who is also an electrician.I can't remember the exact figures but I think 50 grand covered it. The fundraising is the big job but I think we qualifed for a grant to cover a small amount.
Its a step by step process but we have a good field,good lights now the aim has to be a big Club house.
Are Cootehill thinking of getting lights?
Any truth in the rumour that your manager walked after the Ballyhaise game??

Nope, not that I'm aware of it... Got a new scoreboard which is a good addition but it takes time to get everyone on board with some ideas
No he didn't walk after the Ballyhaise game, he walked after the Kingscourt game....

Dougal

tommy seems to have some good enough ideas, dont know about all the amalgamations at senior (12 seems a bit much) but i think there should be alot more at u16 minor and u21.it would be great to get the u21 played in spring aswell.

celt man,when was the kingscourt game?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Celt_Man

Quote from: Dougal on November 14, 2009, 06:25:06 PM
tommy seems to have some good enough ideas, dont know about all the amalgamations at senior (12 seems a bit much) but i think there should be alot more at u16 minor and u21.it would be great to get the u21 played in spring aswell.

celt man,when was the kingscourt game?

Amalgamations are great when they work and a disaster when they don't.... We had in our club for 2 years and it nearly crippled us - we're still getting over it and I don't think an amalgamation would ever work for us....
Personally I don't think having a load of amalgamations at underage level is the way forward, we should be trying to maximise the numbers playing the game not limit them

Kingscourt game was bank holiday sunday

Dougal

well maybe its just that our amalgamations with cornafean and arva have been working very well.i know what you mean,but from my experience it can give 2 small teams with a few good players each,a chance to play at a higher level.i suppose theres a happy medium.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Dougal on November 14, 2009, 07:30:37 PM
well maybe its just that our amalgamations with cornafean and arva have been working very well.i know what you mean,but from my experience it can give 2 small teams with a few good players each,a chance to play at a higher level.i suppose theres a happy medium.

It may be before your time but when I was playing we used to amalgamate with Cornafean and Arva and enter the senior championship. Mr King was the trainer and he used to organise trainings for the amalgamation at the same time & days as the 3 clubs had their own training. The clubs then had feck all at training and all the "elite" players were minded from playing with their clubs to play on the amalgamated team. The biggest joke of it was that they never won a game at senior level.

I don't like amalgamations unless a club is unable to field a team. I think football should be an inclusive sport and should aim to keep as many as possible involved for as long as possible. Amalgamtions are elitist and while they may raise the levels of the better players they will often force youngsters to quit for lack of games.

Dougal

no,i dont remember that slasher,when was that?i dont remember much before 06.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I tipped up to Terry Coyle for Gaels v St. Joseph's game. Couldn't tell you the score but the Gaels won by approx 3/4 points. They were about 8 up at HT and joes missed a penalty before staging s mini-comeback. Tomás Reilly only last about 10 mins before going off injured and Declan McKiernan came on at HT to change the game.
Daniel Graham had a good first half but I think he fancies himself to be a better player than he is. Maloney-Derham & Levi Murphy were a great counter-attacking outlet and I think it's Padraic Smith's brother Niall (?) was playing wing-forward and he looks a really good prospect.

Dougal

lawrence,you starting to follow killeshandra? :)
think the score was 0-2 to 0-10/11 at halftime.thomas comming off made a big difference,and even a injured declan made quite a difference when he came on.should have a very strong team next year,only losing 3 or 4 starters.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I have a soft spot for them Dougal-family links but I'll say no more.
McKiernan has made a huge impression on me this year and if he can block out his ould boys instructions he could be a great asset to club and county.

Dougal

spot on,if he cuts out the nonsense he could go far.

put-it-up

Quote from: boojangles on November 14, 2009, 03:50:04 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on November 14, 2009, 01:48:04 PM
I hear a few of our 97 batch are getting involved with teams this year.

Forde and Ronan Carolan are in as selectors with the u21's along with Hyland and I think Jayo is in with the minors with Mickey along with Peter Donnelly.

I think its Forde and Peter Donnelly with the Minors Put-it-Up. Hadnt heard anything about Jayo. While I have great time for Ronan Carolan who is a great players man, I really don't know about this age old practice of throwing former county players into jobs. I would like to know what experience Anthony Forde has managing and coaching teams. Mickey Graham came the right road and won things, I think all ex-players should serve their time coaching with their clubs,doing courses etc before they are considered for County teams. Whats wrong with looking at clubs for selectors for our U-16 and Minor teams?

Sorry Boojangles, Forde is definetly in with the u21's. As far as I am aware it was his choice which team he went in with. And I would completely disagree with you on that point.

Forde, Carolan and Jayo have experienced sucess and know what it takes to win. At the at end of the day, they are in as selectors. The team has a trainer to train to them and a manager to deal with the bulk of managerial issues. I know I would rather someone that has played the game for years, seen and done it giving me advice come championship than a spoofer who has a badge from the GAA no? I appreciate that we need as many people as we can getting involved in coaching courses but from a players perspective who would you prefer in and around the camp?

It's half time in an Ulster QF, do you want Anthony Forde encouraging you and giving you tips or a lad from Arva or Kingscourt that is on level two in the coaching courses?

And Lawrence that wing-forward would be a brothers of Pauric. Is lightning quick and was very impressive when on the county minors for two years. Might play a role with the u21s this year.