Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal

galligan just isnt good enough for county.a place on the panel is all he should have,no way should he be starting matches.

that rant bout the three lads was totally uncalled for,ye,they wernt saints,but no need for that ****.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Celt_Man

Quote from: descartes on October 30, 2009, 06:44:49 PM
QuoteNot gonna comment on most of that rant... but as for the bit highlighted - look there is no need to start running down the three boys like that.  All of them have given Cavan unbelievable service over a long number of years through the good and bad times.

I realise that the three of them are not perfect and have sinned in the past but I can remember so many games where one of them have pulled us out of the fire.  There is no need for smart asred comments like that, if anyone didn't know better reading your comment you'd think the three of them were three Rab C Nesbit characters who never done any good at all

eh.. what you on about? those three names are all fictitious... is that smart arsed enough for ya!!
Why are you trying to make it personal?  Seen as how you think you know who I am
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Drung

Quotegalligan just isnt good enough for county.a place on the panel is all he should have,no way should he be starting matches.

What's the point being on the panel if you're not good enough to start matches? Just for the sake of it?
What an idiotic comment.

Celt_Man

Quote from: descartes on October 30, 2009, 07:11:38 PM
QuoteWhy are you trying to make it personal?

trying to make it personal???? Maybe you made this personal months and months ago!!!!

ooooh, and here comes the irony

QuoteThere is no need for smart asred comments

hmmmm, i'd be taking your own advice from now on celt man.
How did I make this personal?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

put-it-up

Quote from: descartes on October 30, 2009, 06:51:50 PM
Quotegalligan just isnt good enough for county.a place on the panel is all he should have,no way should he be starting matches.

ok so, if not galligan then who should play midifield?

Fair enough he is not the worlds ultimate footballer, but I think we are all in agreement that our team over the last few years has been a little bit small. So if we run Galligan out, where are you all planning to find a 6,4 footballer that can kick, catch, and is athletic??? Fact is, there are feck all of them. So will we play Cullivan midfield, who is what 5'10, because he is a better all round player? He would be outjumped by every other IC midfielder in the country.

It really pisses me off when people say he is just not good enough. Every player has good and bad points. The trick is to coach the player and make the best of him. Galligan will never be a brilliant all-round player but he can improve and do a job with the right coaching and education. He is well capable of being competitive and getting the job done. He is only 23 or 24, he will improve in time.

GAA is not like soccer, you can't just buy in a new players. You've got to coach what you got and make the most out of them. Help them improve individually to help the team improve that's what I say.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: put-it-up on October 30, 2009, 07:24:47 PM

Fair enough he is not the worlds ultimate footballer, but I think we are all in agreement that our team over the last few years has been a little bit small. So if we run Galligan out, where are you all planning to find a 6,4 footballer that can kick, catch, and is athletic??? Fact is, there are feck all of them. So will we play Cullivan midfield, who is what 5'10, because he is a better all round player? He would be outjumped by every other IC midfielder in the country.

It really pisses me off when people say he is just not good enough. Every player has good and bad points. The trick is to coach the player and make the best of him. Galligan will never be a brilliant all-round player but he can improve and do a job with the right coaching and education. He is well capable of being competitive and getting the job done. He is only 23 or 24, he will improve in time.

GAA is not like soccer, you can't just buy in a new players. You've got to coach what you got and make the most out of them. Help them improve individually to help the team improve that's what I say.

Agree with that. For years we have being relying on McCabe to catch every kick out because we know that if the ball goes loose McCabe hasn't the legs to chase it down. For years we have been destroyed by running midfielders able to run up and down the field all day. Galligan gives us a bit of that. There is not one other midfielder on the panel last 5 years that was a runner. Galligan does a lot of work that is not appreciated mainly by people that don't have a clue. Its not all about making the big catch or kicking a point if the rest of the game you are getting eaten. It is also easy to say a lad isn't good enough for IC football but even if that statement were true it misses the point. All that matters is that we get the best players in Cavan on the panel training hard. If Galligan isn't IC standard is Mulvey, Walsh, Cullivan?? Maybe none of players are IC standard, should we just stop fielding a team?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 30, 2009, 08:44:37 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on October 30, 2009, 07:24:47 PM

Agree with that. For years we have being relying on McCabe to catch every kick out because we know that if the ball goes loose McCabe hasn't the legs to chase it down. For years we have been destroyed by running midfielders able to run up and down the field all day. Galligan gives us a bit of that. There is not one other midfielder on the panel last 5 years that was a runner. Galligan does a lot of work that is not appreciated mainly by people that don't have a clue. Its not all about making the big catch or kicking a point if the rest of the game you are getting eaten. It is also easy to say a lad isn't good enough for IC football but even if that statement were true it misses the point. All that matters is that we get the best players in Cavan on the panel training hard. If Galligan isn't IC standard is Mulvey, Walsh, Cullivan?? Maybe none of players are IC standard, should we just stop fielding a team?
Exactly. Like the time Joe Brolly said that our players weren't even first cousins of IC players and Michael Lyster put him right by saying that it's the best that they've got.
I would agree with the original point in relation to Walsh though as I don't think he offers a whole lot and there are better players than him. I'd agree to bring in some strong competition for Miller to see how he reacts but to leave Flanagan out because he hasn't put in a MOTM performance beggars belief. We haven't had too many of them in the last few years.

Dougal

Quote from: Drung on October 30, 2009, 07:14:32 PM

What's the point being on the panel if you're not good enough to start matches? Just for the sake of it?
What an idiotic comment.

i meant hes not good enough to start all or even most matches.also i meant not good enough at the minute,hes got a good work rate and is one of the tallest lads we have,so with a good bit of work he could be a decent IC footballer,so thats why id have him on the panel.

heard miller has quit,anyone else hear about it?

beer baron

In fairness lads when does Miller be involved at this time of the year,i'd safely say he'll be about come Championship time.Maybe if hewas with the squad this time of the year he could lose some of his arse and move out quicker to get a ball.

the salmon of knowledge

Quote from: descartes on October 30, 2009, 06:19:02 PM

Quotei know these views might annoy a few people but that is the way i see it.

ur right there

Quotegalligan for all his dedication just is not good enough, mckenna served him a lesson in midfielding this year.

I remember reading this on this message board at the time and being a bit bemused. i was at that match and actually thought Galligan played quite well. People seem to be getting carried away with the fact that McKenna caught three balls in the first half from kickouts. that hardly amounts to giving a lesson to his opponent especially in light of what Galligan contributed himself that day. He kicked three points from play (out of 7 for his team i think). Won another free that was converted. He burned McKenna on quite a few occasions on some solo runs notably in the first half, at one stage McKenna lunged out at him to rugby tackle him as galligan flew past earning a yellow card.. Later in the 2nd half  McKenna got sent off for picking up his 2nd yellow. Drung won by a point. And McKenna gets lauded for a virtuoso performance?? Galligan caught one ball himself, and broke ball down to his half forward line in particular all day long. This is not meant to be a sleight on McKenna by the way, in fact i reckon if he wanted he could still do a job at intercounty level for cavan. i'm just pointing out what i perceive to be a lack of appreciation as to what Ciaran Galligan brings to the table. Galligan in my opinion is improving all the time.. come to think of it, he's quite similar to McKenna in that respect who was floating around the panel for a few years but didn't really start making a difference untill he was 26/27/28 ...and then he retired...
I reckon Galligan will be making a difference before he's 26. what is he? 23? just gone 24 maybe?

So what we are getting now is a big call to invest in the primary schools, invest in the secondary schools, invest in the minors, invest in the u21s. yes. of course. not that i trust our county board to do this effectively, they've been doing coaching now for ten years or so, what has it brought us? invest in the educators i say. invest in coaches/managers equip them to teach young lads not just technical but tactical skill sets too. cavan are so far behind in this regard its scary.

but just as important, lets bloody well invest in Ciaran Galligan. Right now investing in a player like him is just as important as investing in a prodigious 18 year old. because when that fella reaches 22 (realistically the youngest age that you can rely on him to consistently produce high performances) he's going to need a Ciaran Galligan beside him, influencing him, showing him dedication, and not a Laurence, or a Dermot, or a jason, showing him how to drink pints/eat pizza/complain/demoralise others around the panel/and fall out of shape... or what ever else was rumoured to have occurred over the past 10 years..

note to lawyers
(Laurence Dermot and Jason are totally fictious names, any resemblance to real people is totally coincidental and accidental)

well... its just a thought...

sorry, on reading things back, i did not make myself clear enough in my point about galligan/mckenna. to the best of my knowledge mckenna is 34/35, now if our first choice championship midfielder cannot outfield a man 10 years his senior then i am worried. you are right about all the good things galligan did, but you fail to mention how everything good that kill did that day went through mckenna, his distribution and general play was the bet of any kill player on show(now thats not saying much as the game was terrible)

on another point i do agree 100% with investing in the coaches for the schools and equipment, i know for a fact in my  local national school the kids are not allowed KICK a football, yes kick one!! they can play basketball at lunchtime and only kick a ball when the GAA coach comes in. this, in years to come will hamper my clubs players as they will have missed out on 5 of theyre most formative years as a gealic footballer!  its madness.

the salmon of knowledge

Lawerence, Flanagan has not even played well for his club in 2 years, i just expect IC footballers to be the standout men on show for their clubs sorry, i am showing a very negative attitude to the whole thing suppose its cause i am so pissed off with the CB, have to go and play a bloody game now at 2 o clock, on the last day of Oct, its a disgrace, and all the weekends of the summer i did nothing.

on the subject of midfielders actually fielding the ball, did anyone notice the ease  at which Tyrone changed their game plan when they played Antrim. they never attempted to contest the kickouts with antrim instead waited till mccann landed and swarmed him and dispossed him. from all the champ matches i have been at this summer i dont think i seen anyone who can field the ball well enough and is good enough to play at IC.

put-it-up

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on October 31, 2009, 11:37:57 AM
Lawerence, Flanagan has not even played well for his club in 2 years, i just expect IC footballers to be the standout men on show for their clubs sorry, i am showing a very negative attitude to the whole thing suppose its cause i am so pissed off with the CB, have to go and play a bloody game now at 2 o clock, on the last day of Oct, its a disgrace, and all the weekends of the summer i did nothing.

on the subject of midfielders actually fielding the ball, did anyone notice the ease  at which Tyrone changed their game plan when they played Antrim. they never attempted to contest the kickouts with antrim instead waited till mccann landed and swarmed him and dispossed him. from all the champ matches i have been at this summer i dont think i seen anyone who can field the ball well enough and is good enough to play at IC.

To get a complete midfielder lads is an extremely hard thing to do. How often are they produced? A lad from my club has a serious pair of hands, arguably the best in the county, but he would be very raw in other dimensions of the game. But you have to maximise what you have got. So he got told to catch it and give it off to somone else by a fist pass!

Thats why you can't be so critical of Galligan. He has his good points, now all he needs is coaching to develop other parts of his game. I think coaching players individually has become a bit of a lost art..

And let's face it, out of the midfielders we had last year, Galligan would be my first choice everytime.

With regards to Miller has he not said he is quitting for the last three or four years and then just strolls back after the McKenna Cup and the pre-season training? I might be wrong but no matter how could you are, thats not on and is bad for morale in the camp. Personally I dont think there is a need for him to play in the McKenna Cup but he should be training and getting into shape.. He could be the best keeper in the country if he wanted too

Lawrence of Knockbride

Fair enough SOK it's hard not to be negative but I think the likes of Flanagan need to get a bit of confidence and a fixed position rather than to be omitted.
Was in Drumalee watching Drumgoon going through to the division 2 final. They won by 3 with Fanin running riot again, this time at full forward. Now could one of the 99% of football people in the county tell Tommy Carr to try this man anywhere ahead of the full-back line. Killeshandra were missing two big players, had another two go off and injured and had Declan McKiernan playing on one leg at full forward where he still had a decent game.

Dougal

laurence,roper was immense  today wasnt he,think he should be tried in the forward line at county level.ye we were missing quite a few today,and its not easy when you have such a small pick of players,but thought the players that stepped in wernt too bad.

boojangles

Quote from: Dougal on October 31, 2009, 06:54:53 PM
laurence,roper was immense  today wasnt he,think he should be tried in the forward line at county level.ye we were missing quite a few today,and its not easy when you have such a small pick of players,but thought the players that stepped in wernt too bad.

Who??