Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Quote from: Dougal on October 29, 2009, 01:42:45 PM
they lost,not sure of the score,galligan from killygary in goals 1st half,2nd half andrew "taz" smith fom cornafean in goals,cunningham from swad fullback,barry mcmenamin from kill corner back.thats what ive heard so far.

That can't be right
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on October 27, 2009, 08:44:44 PM
Well I would've thought the same but having spoken to a few involved they feel like they might as well go for the trophy with only two games left. Intersting to hear whaty Celt Man and Ballyhaise Man think.

yeh i dont mind,From a personal point of view its good to be playing at this time ,hopefully if we beat Celts on Saturday,we can get a few more weeks football.
It beats going to the gym to keep fit in the offseason anyway!!

boojangles

they lost,not sure of the score,galligan from killygary in goals 1st half,2nd half andrew "taz" smith fom cornafean in goals,cunningham from swad fullback,barry mcmenamin from kill corner back.thats what ive heard so far.

Neither can that??

put-it-up

Quote from: boojangles on October 29, 2009, 04:22:35 PM

Neither can that??

God, what kind of a team was out! Be interested to hear a few more names if anyone knows

Dougal

taz isnt too bad at all,was he not on the u21s last year or the year before?
i thought mcmenamin was a centre half back,or are you questioning him being there at all(never got to see him play,so dont know how good he is)?
forgot to mention,mckeever was playing but i heard he didnt play like he was bothered at all.damian reilly from belturbet is on the panel,not sure if he was playing though.bud fitz from belturbet aswell,heard he had a decent game and scored 2 lovely points.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

put-it-up

Quote from: Dougal on October 29, 2009, 06:24:56 PM
taz isnt too bad at all,was he not on the u21s last year or the year before?
i thought mcmenamin was a centre half back,or are you questioning him being there at all(never got to see him play,so dont know how good he is)?
forgot to mention,mckeever was playing but i heard he didnt play like he was bothered at all.damian reilly from belturbet is on the panel,not sure if he was playing though.bud fitz from belturbet aswell,heard he had a decent game and scored 2 lovely points.

Ah he is alright but there would be a few keepers that would be better than him. I presume the game was for lads that had nothing to do with the set-up last year??

If it is, then no harm to giving lads a go, worst thing that they can find out is that they are not good enough. I'd say TC is looking for a round 5-10 new players to come into panel. How is Paddy Gumley these days, playing wise?

Bud Fitz has a sweet boot on him. I would imagine he will play a role with the u21's this year aswell

Dougal

ye,id say hes just trying out new players.walsh was at the game but wasnt playing.
only saw paddy once this year,was as good as he was last year,but hopefully he can find his form again.
id say bud will play a big enough part this year alright.

Carr seems to be putting in a good bit of effort this year,hopefully he has a brain to go along with the effort because he had neither last year.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

the salmon of knowledge

heard joey jordan was asked to go in but declined.
garreth smith played on the 40 and kicked a point.
they might not be going anywhere with that taz lad in goals, biggest liability since the drumalee goalie in the lavey/drumalee match in breffni this year

the salmon of knowledge

and anyway to be honest alot of lads could go. walsh did nothing all year including the 2nd half of the galls game where he was terrible. Flanagan has not put in a man of the match preformance for club or county in years everyone praises miller, yet he was the cause of almost every goal cavan conceded in the league this year, apart from longford when fintian was in nets.galligan for all his dedication just is not good enough, mckenna served him a lesson in midfielding this year.
i know these views might annoy a few people but that is the way i see it. too many small men on the team. I, for one am glad to see mckeever back but  not going to get carried away as he has let the side down before.

in short getting out of div 3 and doing slightly better in the back door will be a good year for cavan.  suit the county board better to focous on football in primary school and getting some good sctructures in place to bring these kids on. does anyone think it was a coidence that a year after contesteing the AI u21 final that we won ulster. until we start winning at underage again we will not be competitive at senior

BallyhaiseMan

Andrew Smith wasnt great from what i heard of his trial on the under 21's,unless he was improved greatly he wont be up to it at IC level.
Celt Man,a heads up,if you dont know already, im  sure our game tommorow will be off as Charlie Reily(RIP)a brother of our club chairman died today after a long battle with cancer.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on October 30, 2009, 03:09:39 PM
and anyway to be honest alot of lads could go. walsh did nothing all year including the 2nd half of the galls game where he was terrible. Flanagan has not put in a man of the match preformance for club or county in years everyone praises miller, yet he was the cause of almost every goal cavan conceded in the league this year, apart from longford when fintian was in nets.galligan for all his dedication just is not good enough, mckenna served him a lesson in midfielding this year.
i know these views might annoy a few people but that is the way i see it. too many small men on the team. I, for one am glad to see mckeever back but  not going to get carried away as he has let the side down before.

in short getting out of div 3 and doing slightly better in the back door will be a good year for cavan.  suit the county board better to focous on football in primary school and getting some good sctructures in place to bring these kids on. does anyone think it was a coidence that a year after contesteing the AI u21 final that we won ulster. until we start winning at underage again we will not be competitive at senior

dont know why anyone would be annoyed at those comments,you're 100% spot on with everything you posted there. We do not have enough big men on the team.
I rate Miller very highly but he did not have his best year last year,Paddy Galligan of Killygarry is the man that should be brought in to challenge him for the number 1 jersey in my opinion.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 30, 2009, 03:28:38 PM
Andrew Smith wasnt great from what i heard of his trial on the under 21's,unless he was improved greatly he wont be up to it at IC level.
Celt Man,a heads up,if you dont know already, im  sure our game tommorow will be off as Charlie Reily(RIP)a brother of our club chairman died today after a long battle with cancer.
Fair enough, sorry to hear about the man... that'll push the league back another week so middle of November when it's over now.. Madness when you consider it started the last weekend of February

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on October 30, 2009, 04:49:07 PM
Fair enough, sorry to hear about the man... that'll push the league back another week so middle of November when it's over now.. Madness when you consider it started the last weekend of February

Havent heard any news about the cancellation just yet,but i cant see it going ahead.
League could and should have been over months ago.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 30, 2009, 05:42:36 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on October 30, 2009, 04:49:07 PM

Havent heard any news about the cancellation just yet,but i cant see it going ahead.
League could and should have been over months ago.
Yea well I don't know about Laragh but the downpour that was coming down for about a solid hour here around half 4 or so was unbelievable.... there'll be some slipping and sliding going on if it does go ahead

Celt_Man

Quote from: descartes on October 30, 2009, 06:19:02 PM

Quotei know these views might annoy a few people but that is the way i see it.

ur right there

Quotegalligan for all his dedication just is not good enough, mckenna served him a lesson in midfielding this year.

I remember reading this on this message board at the time and being a bit bemused. i was at that match and actually thought Galligan played quite well. People seem to be getting carried away with the fact that McKenna caught three balls in the first half from kickouts. that hardly amounts to giving a lesson to his opponent especially in light of what Galligan contributed himself that day. He kicked three points from play (out of 7 for his team i think). Won another free that was converted. He burned McKenna on quite a few occasions on some solo runs notably in the first half, at one stage McKenna lunged out at him to rugby tackle him as galligan flew past earning a yellow card.. Later in the 2nd half  McKenna got sent off for picking up his 2nd yellow. Drung won by a point. And McKenna gets lauded for a virtuoso performance?? Galligan caught one ball himself, and broke ball down to his half forward line in particular all day long. This is not meant to be a sleight on McKenna by the way, in fact i reckon if he wanted he could still do a job at intercounty level for cavan. i'm just pointing out what i perceive to be a lack of appreciation as to what Ciaran Galligan brings to the table. Galligan in my opinion is improving all the time.. come to think of it, he's quite similar to McKenna in that respect who was floating around the panel for a few years but didn't really start making a difference untill he was 26/27/28 ...and then he retired...
I reckon Galligan will be making a difference before he's 26. what is he? 23? just gone 24 maybe?

So what we are getting now is a big call to invest in the primary schools, invest in the secondary schools, invest in the minors, invest in the u21s. yes. of course. not that i trust our county board to do this effectively, they've been doing coaching now for ten years or so, what has it brought us? invest in the educators i say. invest in coaches/managers equip them to teach young lads not just technical but tactical skill sets too. cavan are so far behind in this regard its scary.

but just as important, lets bloody well invest in Ciaran Galligan. Right now investing in a player like him is just as important as investing in a prodigious 18 year old. because when that fella reaches 22 (realistically the youngest age that you can rely on him to consistently produce high performances) he's going to need a Ciaran Galligan beside him, influencing him, showing him dedication, and not a Laurence, or a Dermot, or a jason, showing him how to drink pints/eat pizza/complain/demoralise others around the panel/and fall out of shape... or what ever else was rumoured to have occurred over the past 10 years..

note to lawyers
(Laurence Dermot and Jason are totally fictious names, any resemblance to real people is totally coincidental and accidental)

well... its just a thought...

Not gonna comment on most of that rant... but as for the bit highlighted - look there is no need to start running down the three boys like that.  All of them have given Cavan unbelievable service over a long number of years through the good and bad times. 

I realise that the three of them are not perfect and have sinned in the past but I can remember so many games where one of them have pulled us out of the fire.  There is no need for smart asred comments like that, if anyone didn't know better reading your comment you'd think the three of them were three Rab C Nesbit characters who never done any good at all