Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

That's a fair point Drung, I was only commenting on the post you'd just written, I'm not about to go back trawling through your entire posting history! But fair point, yes.

I still think you're way, way too harsh on them and giving them absolutely no credit for what I think are some very laudable aspects to their performance though. Take the petulant sniping stuff out of it and I'd be more than happy to see a county team applying themselves as vigorously for the rest of the year. But I doubt we'll see it.

RacingPost09

Cavanmaniac... I would like to know how you could praise any aspects of the Gaels performance when they got 4 men sent off in 80mins of football...thats just not acceptable.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: RacingPost09 on October 19, 2009, 06:24:33 PM
Cavanmaniac... I would like to know how you could praise any aspects of the Gaels performance when they got 4 men sent off in 80mins of football...thats just not acceptable.
If I may maniac........simple, you concentrate on the things they did well and praise them, which he did.
Quote from: Celt_Man on October 19, 2009, 04:35:46 PM
I think it is very harsh to concede a penalty for a technical foul in the small square.  Something like the keeper over carrying it or throwing the ball should be just a 13 m in my opinion but the rules are that a penalty should be awarded.

As for the yellow cards, my understanding is that if a player gets two yellows and then a red during a game, that the team can introduce a sub for that player at the start of extra time although the same player can't be re-introduced.

Also a yellow card received in the first 60 minutes has no bearing on extra time, it is essentially a new game so a player has to receive two yellows in extra time to get the line.   I think I can remember Forde getting a yellow early on in the first few minutes of extra time but am open to correction on that.
I found it strange too Celt Man but as I said this new rule about the yellows carrying over is supposed to be about 2 weeks old. I can't see the logic myself.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on October 19, 2009, 07:17:19 PM
If I may maniac........simple, you concentrate on the things they did well and praise them, which he did.
I think it is very harsh to concede a penalty for a technical foul in the small square.  Something like the keeper over carrying it or throwing the ball should be just a 13 m in my opinion but the rules are that a penalty should be awarded.

As for the yellow cards, my understanding is that if a player gets two yellows and then a red during a game, that the team can introduce a sub for that player at the start of extra time although the same player can't be re-introduced.

Also a yellow card received in the first 60 minutes has no bearing on extra time, it is essentially a new game so a player has to receive two yellows in extra time to get the line.   I think I can remember Forde getting a yellow early on in the first few minutes of extra time but am open to correction on that.
I found it strange too Celt Man but as I said this new rule about the yellows carrying over is supposed to be about 2 weeks old. I can't see the logic myself.

If you ask me they were only putting right what was a stupid rule in the 1st place. The idea that red and yellow cards could be written off when going into extra time is crazy and encourages all sorts of dirty acts in the final minutes of a tight game.

JMohan

I don't think anyone can accept or defend that

milltown row

Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 19, 2009, 03:33:30 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 19, 2009, 12:40:28 PM
Now that's one side of the argument, the other of course is that their traditional headlessness cost them dear again...It's incredible for a team of their pedigree and experience that you have seasoned performers like Chesty, Walsh, Forde and Crotty all spitting the dummy or doing ridiculous, volatile, brainless things on the field in a vital game. Simply unbelieveable.

You might read that above passage I wrote before delivering any more sermons Drung.

Gaels let themselves down very badly in the end, I agree and said as much, but for the better part of the match and until they let their discipline go entirely, they were clearly full of determination and spirit, and stuck rigidly to the gameplan they had. I thought they defended very well at times, there were frequent turnovers and good dispossessions and they clipped some nice scores at times also. Until Galls started using their strong runners more in the second half, it was notable how the shadowing and marking employed by the Gaels defence forced them into playing raking balls crossfield in an effort to find space, way out wide, which contributed to the Galls wides tally when they did everntually shoot. Whatever about the nonsense later, there's a huge element of discipline involved there and at that stage, they were keeping the foul count down too.
They forced extra time with a man less on a day when they had 15 defenders covering every blade of grass , were unlucky to hit the post with a goal chancew when STILL only two down in extra time despite all, and they certainly never rolled over and meekly accepted defeat like a lot of Cavan teams I've been seeing in recent seasons.

There was still plenty to admire in the Gaels performance even if they let eventually themselves down very badly with the stupid stuff and if the county team employed the better aspects of the Gaels display we'd be a hell of a lot better off.

As for your simplistic aside about 'pushing the self destruct button' you might consider how Galls totally revamped their game and switched to running at the heart of the Gaels defence when they went six down and brought their wing backs into it (especially number seven) and also how their targetman gave them a whole new dimension from which a lot of key scores came from, but instead you're just interested in ragging on the Gaels while refusing to ackowledge they were playing a very good team as well.
I'm not a Gaels clubman or anything close but the petty refusal by a lot of football-watchers in the county to give them any credit whatsoever for anything they do beggars belief at times.

as you know the weather played a big part in the game, lads were falling all over the place, dropping balls and poor passes. our lads lost their confidence in playing the ball in. it kept coming out and we could not score simple frees. Big Darren give the players something to hit. He caused problems and the forwards work off the scraps.

sometimes the old fashion tactics can win you matches

as the Gaels lost their way then we simply over ran them with the half back line. anto Healy and Sean Kelly were great for st Galls

cavanmaniac

Quote from: JMohan on October 19, 2009, 07:54:24 PM
I don't think anyone can accept or defend that

I despair sometimes I really do. I can't figure out, is it that people just don't read what others write, or if they do actually read it, do they twist what's there into something it's not just so that they can get up on some sort of moral high horse and "put people in their place" like some sort of thread police.

I've consistently condemned the Gaels in no uncertain terms for losing their heads. Look back. It's there. I know because I've typed it twice or three times now.
All I praised, like the man pointed out above, was that leaving the nonsense aside (just in case anyone misses it this time) there was some laudable and admirable aspects to the Gaels play that I think would benefit the county team if they looked at it and decided to do likewise. Specificially the high energy, everyone working hard, refusing to die aspect to the Gaels on Sunday. That's what I meant by the "balls and gumption" reference that Drung took such exception to.

It's very easy lads, I don't know what all the cribbing is for.  ::)

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 19, 2009, 07:39:19 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on October 19, 2009, 07:17:19 PM

If you ask me they were only putting right what was a stupid rule in the 1st place. The idea that red and yellow cards could be written off when going into extra time is crazy and encourages all sorts of dirty acts in the final minutes of a tight game.
The problem I have with it Myles is that they still let you go back to 15 men in ET so it's one rule for the red card and another for the yellow.

jonb_cúl

just a note here lads (apologies if it has already been mentioned) but the club semi finals in meath between o'mahoneys Vr Wolf tones had the same issue were wolf tones had a man red carded in extra time after receiving a yellow in normal time & one in extra time. this was overturned before the replay last weekend were he was allowed to play as far as i am aware.

Also, I heard a rumour that the man in charge on sunday with gaels/galls game is in employment in a large insurance company in the town. this has to be wrong on two levels;
A. He works in the area of one the teams
B. he works with a member of the geals teams (who may have been sent off!!!!)

On another note with the league campaign nearing its end for the year, who do you feel will be heading for division 2.
i think Cuchulainn maybe heading that way with Denn.
You can't win derbies with donkeys.
Babs Keating
Before Tipp played Cork in 1990.

Celt_Man

Quote from: jonb_cúl on October 20, 2009, 12:23:25 PM
just a note here lads (apologies if it has already been mentioned) but the club semi finals in meath between o'mahoneys Vr Wolf tones had the same issue were wolf tones had a man red carded in extra time after receiving a yellow in normal time & one in extra time. this was overturned before the replay last weekend were he was allowed to play as far as i am aware.

Also, I heard a rumour that the man in charge on sunday with gaels/galls game is in employment in a large insurance company in the town. this has to be wrong on two levels;

On another note with the league campaign nearing its end for the year, who do you feel will be heading for division 2.

Nope I don't think that is correct.. what happened, as far as I know, was that the Wolfe Tones midfielder Stephen Sheppard got a straight red card in extra time in the drawn game last Sunday week.  Wolfe Tones made an appeal stating that extra time shouldn't have been played and so Sheppard's red card was null and void.  They were successful with this appeal and Sheppard played in his side's 3 point win over O'Mahony's last Sunday.
By the way, there is also a dirty rumour going around that O'Mahony's are going to appeal the fact that Sheppard was fit to play and consequently the result of the game.... some mess
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

jonb_cúl

christ, some mess as right celt man, aren't we bless that we have such well run CB!!!! :P
Babs Keating

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: jonb_cúl on October 20, 2009, 12:23:25 PM

Very subtle and you're correct on all points. I spoke to one of the gaels players who confirmed he was going to have a word with the ref on Monday morning. It shouldn't be hard to guess from that last sentence as to which player it is.

Celt_Man

Quote from: jonb_cúl on October 20, 2009, 12:52:06 PM
christ, some mess as right celt man, aren't we bless that we have such well run CB!!!! :P
Just heard that the Meath Senior Final is off this Sunday because O'Mahony's are going through with their appeal...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

jonb_cúl

That'll mean that Meath won't be represented in this year's leinster club championship!!! its a pity because I saw Seneschalstown play there not so long ago in the championship & thought the played a lovely style of football, i.e good strength on the ball balanced with nice skill. Those Sheridan brothers would be a god send to any club!!

Is it true that the county panel at doing some boxing training, heard there was some sort of a boxing charity event taking place in the Imperial in December, if this is the case does any of the posters here know who is back in & who are new to the panel?
Babs Keating

Lawrence of Knockbride

Well a few were mentioned in a previous post and I was talking to a lad from Killeshadnra who said Tomás Reilly was training with them last week too.