Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drung

In fairness, Lynch did extremely well with Virginia but the standard was dire. Very few Virginia College players even made good county minors - Conor Smith scored something like 3-4 in the final one year and flopped for the county.
Wasn't Darren Costello of Denn captain one year and couldn't make the county minors?

The jury is still out on him, his first year with the seniors (he got the job after being overlooked for the minors, figure that out) was an unmitigated disaster. Hopefully he, and everyone else, will pull their socks up this year.

Fill the team with Gaels lads I say. They are the benchmark and many of the Cavan panellists wouldn't make their first 15, strange as it sounds.
Think about it. Their senior team v the Cavan team, the Gaels are stronger in a lot of positions.
Sean Reilly over Ciaran Galligan, Nelligan over Givney, Crotty over Brides, Rabbitt over whoever Cavan put full-back...
That's not to mention Collins, Forde, Lyng etc...

beer baron

Thastheball

View Profile

Re: Official Cavan GAA Thread
« Reply #6328 on: Today at 12:30:17 PM »

Lads until our clubs start putting serious work on a year by year basis into our uder 10s, 8s and 6s we will be talking the same shit for nex 50 yrs. We're rubbish, we will not improve because we have not the players. Also we have to have small club joining togethr to strengthen our senior leagues. Our curent systems are not producing county players, so lets change it rather than doing the same all over again and again and again and again and again

Fair enough we may not have a team that is going to win all round,but if the right training is put in place and players are in peak condition and we have a good gameplan and back up plan and players sticking their head in where others wouldn't put in their foot we can progress and get a few more days out next summer at least.

beer baron

Yes there is lot of work being done underage with the club though i haven't been invoved in the past 2 seasons with living away from home.

Celt_Man

Quote from: beer baron on October 16, 2009, 03:32:07 PM
Yes there is lot of work being done underage with the club though i haven't been invoved in the past 2 seasons with living away from home.
Quote from: Thastheball on October 16, 2009, 12:54:01 PM
question for your beer belly :D, is your club busting a gut at u6, u8 and u10 level, getting your coaches trained as well as your underage teams coached properly for 11 months of the year, are you helping to do it also?

Hmmm.....

Anyway, definitely across the county we need to get proper coaching in at the earliest levels in the club and maintain it right through the age groups.  The two touch football for the U 12s and U 14s introduced this year is a giant leap forward and some of the sounds coming from the Coaching and Games Development committee are encouraging...

But having said all that, there's no point in trying to draw a line through our senior squad.. plenty of talent there - just the whole squad needs to be moving in the one direction with a good winter of hard work done - ie the appropriate strength and conditioning work the boys were on about earlier

Personally if we showed some signs of improvement in the vital areas (passion, pride and a wee bit of steel in the key positions) during the league, I think I would be happy enough to a certain extent...  While getting involved in a promotion race would be a benefit in the experience stakes but not essential... anyway here's hoping...

In case anyone looking in was thinking of going (doubtful but the Baron might be about), our match at home against Drumlane in the league tomorrow is changed to 2 p.m.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

Quote from: beer baron on October 16, 2009, 03:32:07 PM

A lot of work going in alright but it's in an awful mess... don't want to use the word shambles but...

put-it-up

I see morale is low at the minute amongst us die hards lads but don't give up on them yet.

From what I gather, the management team have been putting in quite a bit of work and are going to be working very hard from now until January to improve things. Think they are doing boxing training for two months and going to have a charity fight night around Christmas. Just because TC is not in the Celt, saying what he is doing does not mean he is not doing anything!

Getting Connolly to lend his expertise is also a big scoop and I congratulate them on that. We all know we have nice footballers, but we struggle at times to break the tackle and rough people up. We are too nice, we need to develop a mean streak, a determination to win....

Now I know we are not world beaters but the question we have to ask ourselves is are we as good as we can be? Are we maximising our potential. The answer is no. There is far more in the u21's and seniors and it is the players themselves that need to change the fate of Cavan football. The players need to sit down together and say f*ck this, I am sick of being a loser.

I think the core of the players next year will be the same, and so it should be but I think a big push should be made to get chesty back in as well as Rabbite. If TC cuts the dead wood and the negative influences on the squads and brings in new faces who are eager to impress, that would shake things up a bit. Over the last year fews a few in the starting team have been too comfortable. For their own sakes, they need a kick up the bum to get them back to the top of their game.

Denn Forever

Well said.

Won't be at the epic Crosserlough - Denn match.  How do I get the result?  Any kind souls out there that could post the result?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up on October 17, 2009, 12:54:21 PM
I see morale is low at the minute amongst us die hards lads but don't give up on them yet.

From what I gather, the management team have been putting in quite a bit of work and are going to be working very hard from now until January to improve things. Think they are doing boxing training for two months and going to have a charity fight night around Christmas. Just because TC is not in the Celt, saying what he is doing does not mean he is not doing anything!

Getting Connolly to lend his expertise is also a big scoop and I congratulate them on that. We all know we have nice footballers, but we struggle at times to break the tackle and rough people up. We are too nice, we need to develop a mean streak, a determination to win....

Now I know we are not world beaters but the question we have to ask ourselves is are we as good as we can be? Are we maximising our potential. The answer is no. There is far more in the u21's and seniors and it is the players themselves that need to change the fate of Cavan football. The players need to sit down together and say f*ck this, I am sick of being a loser.

I think the core of the players next year will be the same, and so it should be but I think a big push should be made to get chesty back in as well as Rabbite. If TC cuts the dead wood and the negative influences on the squads and brings in new faces who are eager to impress, that would shake things up a bit. Over the last year fews a few in the starting team have been too comfortable. For their own sakes, they need a kick up the bum to get them back to the top of their game.

Well said surely.I admire your optimism.The boxing mite be what we need but in fairness its the execution of the basic skills like kicking the ball over the bar when under pressure is what we really need to be working on.
I agree about getting Chesty back in,this is a must but I don't agree about Rabbitte.he will be 29 this year and I think we would be better chancing Eoin Smith.He showed alot better than Rabbitte from what I seen in the championship this year. Young Costello had the beating of Rabbitte in the County final.2 or 3 years ago Darren Rabbitte would have been taking a lad like that to the cleaners.No disrespect to Costello but he is not Inter-County standard and Rabbitte should have been dominating him.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on October 17, 2009, 05:02:11 PM

Well said surely.I admire your optimism.The boxing mite be what we need but in fairness its the execution of the basic skills like kicking the ball over the bar when under pressure is what we really need to be working on.
I agree about getting Chesty back in,this is a must but I don't agree about Rabbitte.he will be 29 this year and I think we would be better chancing Eoin Smith.He showed alot better than Rabbitte from what I seen in the championship this year. Young Costello had the beating of Rabbitte in the County final.2 or 3 years ago Darren Rabbitte would have been taking a lad like that to the cleaners.No disrespect to Costello but he is not Inter-County standard and Rabbitte should have been dominating him.
Why not bring both in at the start and see how it goes? It's not like we have any sort of cover for FB from anywhere else.

put-it-up

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on October 17, 2009, 06:16:59 PM
Quote from: boojangles on October 17, 2009, 05:02:11 PM

Why not bring both in at the start and see how it goes? It's not like we have any sort of cover for FB from anywhere else.

Bring in both of them surely. If Rabbite is past it, then he doesn't make the panel. Simple as. Also, I have a lot of time for Darren Smith of Lavey. Dermot Sheridan has a lot of positive attributes and I would defo have him in my panel but I don't think you get the best out of him at FB.

I was abit optimistic in my last post alright but lads complaining all the time and giving out just pissed me off. We are we are, we all know that. Constructive critiscism is fine, and maybe a bit of it from withing the Cavan Camp would do the world of good too.

Now we got to do what we can to improve in any department what so ever.

And I know we are lacking in basic skills in certain areas, but lets be honest Lawrence, the boxing can do no harm what so ever (bar a few broken noses..haha). There is no collective training allowed anyway over the next 2 months but lets be honest, all the basic skills can be worked on and improved individually!

That's where the pressure from within comes into the equation.

whats my name

just heard some of the new faces that were at the county training this morning alan durkin,alan curran,bud fitzpatrick,eoin mc philips just thought id let you's know training was taken by andrew murray and his trainer and they done circut training aswell

Lawrence of Knockbride

I don't think I knocked the boxing did I?

put-it-up

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on October 17, 2009, 10:20:00 PM
I don't think I knocked the boxing did I?

No no, but I was just saying there is no harm in focusing in on it and seeing if it of benefit. I was just saying basic skills can be worked on individually, between collective trainings you know?

What you think of those lads that were called in Lawrence? Not really names I was hoping to see called in to be honest..

Celt_Man

Crosserlough 0 - 13 Denn 1 - 7   according to teletext anyway... we beat drumlane and goonies beat knockbride... so the last 2 semi final spots in div 2 will go down to the last games...

beer baron

Quote from: Celt_Man on October 17, 2009, 11:48:44 PM
Crosserlough 0 - 13 Denn 1 - 7   according to teletext anyway... we beat drumlane and goonies beat knockbride... so the last 2 semi final spots in div 2 will go down to the last games...
So we're not there yet?Doury the boyo lyin to me.