Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: CavanCola on October 14, 2009, 11:50:44 PM
I'm so disillusioned with Cavan football that I have defected to the Meath thread! How bad is that?

Just to give them abuse I hope!

CavanCola

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 14, 2009, 11:54:14 PM
Quote from: CavanCola on October 14, 2009, 11:50:44 PM
I'm so disillusioned with Cavan football that I have defected to the Meath thread! How bad is that?

Just to give them abuse I hope!
In true cavan fashion its a money making venture...
Have a few quid on oldcastle for the intermediate at 12/1.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 14, 2009, 11:53:11 PM
OK - let me just come out and be full negative. When I said the spine of our team is weak here is what I mean...

Goals - Miller has ability but is too dozy and lazy to train properly or to better himself. Waste of time having a hanger on on the panel if you want success.

FB - Rabbitte? Come on, how long have people been beating that drum. Hasn't kicked a ball for Cavan to the best of my knowledge since a McKenna cup game in Derry 3 yrs ago. Is he even up to it anymore? I don't see or hear of anyone else.

CB - For me we need a big strong man and a good reader of the game. We have some guys nearly all of these but none that 100% fit the bill. For me we are trying good WB's out of position at ctr back.

Midfeild - We have Galligan who works hard but lacks a little in ability but who is going to partner him.

Ctr Forward - Lyng would do a job but can he stay fit. If he can't who plays there.

FF - No ball winner in the county that I have seen

Where anyone can see optimism is beyond me. Underage where I hope to see something. I'll probably go to my fair share of stupid journeys around the country when the time comes as my negativity get absorbed by some optimistic madness in February but at the back of it I expect nothing much.

Patrick Galligan Goalkeeper(Killygarry)

Eoin or Darren Smith(Lavey) for fullback

Centre Back,Best club centre half is Chesty,He wasnt great the last time he was centre half for the county?maybe worth another try?
probably too soon for Oisin Minagh,but hes going to be a very good player for Cavan in my opinion probably at Centre Back.

Midfield, Could try Givney here,or you could go with lads like your fellow clubman Thomas Reily,
Sean Reily(Gaels)Thomas Corr(Denn),some of these may not be up to it,but i hope some of them are at least tried in the McKenna Cup.

Centre Forward,other than Lyng,Cullivan maybe,why not try someone like Keith Fannin there and let him roam and get on the ball,These things need to be tried.

Full Forward,Givney,Galligan,Cullivan,theres a few options.

Theres better available for the county than what was on show in Clones last June/July,but Myles is correct in that its hard to overly optimistic about the whole thing.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I agree with BH Man Myles. Rabbitte is most definitely up to it and so is Eoin Smith if TC would pick the right men or if they're interested. I'm going to make the assumption that he'll try Eoin Smith there this year after having him in last year.
I agree with Myles about CB. Chesty is the best going at club level by a distance but he's had a couple of goes at county level. I'd still bring him in though.
I'd say the other Killeshandra midfielder could give options at MF and FF. Has class but lacking badly in pace for this level.
Lyng is a cert for CF if fit and I think Colin Kiernan should be in there too.
Along with McKiernan I'd hope that Givney would have come on and I'd also have Cullivan as an option here.
So loads of reason to be optimistic if the players were motivated enough.

beer baron

Full Forward,Givney,Galligan,Cullivan,theres a few options.

Galligan full foward? think not!

PhilsJemmysField

This is coming from county board minutes send out by our secretary, so looks like they are trying to shake up the strength side of things. Also looks like divisions or something might be going to change

Performance Facilitation Group.(Niall Lynch).
Niall spoke about the need for a strength and conditioning coach in Cavan . With this in mind Phil, Martin and Niall met with Fergus Connolly who is the strength and conditioning coach for Welsh Rugby.Fergus would train Cavan personnel to become aware of this type of training and would help in any way possible. This could be used by clubs also and would develop players to become possible County players.Niall stressed that this wasn't just for the term of the present team management but would continue with whatever management was in place.Phil thanked Niall for his contribution to the meeting.

Fixtures Task Force.
Phil spoke about the fixtures task force. Tony Brady said the presentation of this document was poor and we needed to be more professional inn this department.
Liam read out the points for discussion  and the main fear was the relegation fromm Division 3 to 4.
The first 10 and 12 names were not working and something was needed to improve this.
Some members felt that it was wrong of some clubs to organize a meeting among themselves. It was asked why clubs couldn't ask the County Board to facilitate such a meeting.
Phil said he would set up a committee and there would be another County Committee meeting to decide on the way forward.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 14, 2009, 10:38:59 PM
CM,thats a bit too emotional for this time of night!!! have you been on the beer?  :o
im hearing rumours and stories and someone on here already said something likewise that Carr has picked most of his panel already,MOST being the important word.
Anyone any info as to newcomers to the panel?

:D Ha Ha well there were a few sherries taken alright but I still stand over what I said. If I was typing it again I might be just a bit less Oprah Winfrey about it though! :'(

jonb_cúl

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on October 15, 2009, 05:45:13 PM
This is coming from county board minutes send out by our secretary, so looks like they are trying to shake up the strength side of things. Also looks like divisions or something might be going to change

Niall spoke about the need for a strength and conditioning coach in Cavan . With this in mind Phil, Martin and Niall met with Fergus Connolly who is the strength and conditioning coach for Welsh Rugby.Fergus would train Cavan personnel to become aware of this type of training and would help in any way possible. This could be used by clubs also and would develop players to become possible County players.Niall stressed that this wasn't just for the term of the present team management but would continue with whatever management was in place.Phil thanked Niall for his contribution to the meeting.

Fixtures Task Force.
Phil spoke about the fixtures task force. Tony Brady said the presentation of this document was poor and we needed to be more professional inn this department.
Liam read out the points for discussion  and the main fear was the relegation fromm Division 3 to 4.
The first 10 and 12 names were not working and something was needed to improve this.
Some members felt that it was wrong of some clubs to organize a meeting among themselves. It was asked why clubs couldn't ask the County Board to facilitate such a meeting.
Phil said he would set up a committee and there would be another County Committee meeting to decide on the way forward.

Meetings to organise meeting, ah bless!!! I wonder was that why McCabe travelled to cardiff back in March!! ha Ha
You can't win derbies with donkeys.
Babs Keating
Before Tipp played Cork in 1990.

boojangles

Quote from: jonb_cúl on October 15, 2009, 07:39:58 PM
Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on October 15, 2009, 05:45:13 PM

Fixtures Task Force.

Meetings to organise meeting, ah bless!!! I wonder was that why McCabe travelled to cardiff back in March!! ha Ha

I don't get your point here Jon?? What has any of that got to do with McCabe?
Anyway I have heard some excellent stuf about Fergus Connolly.Hopefully he can pass on plenty of useful tips and skills.
I wonder who is the 'Cavan personnel' they hope to train in these methods? Obviously all County Coaches and managers and development coaches.
They should really organise a few workshops or Coaching weekends for all clubs with this Connolly fella. Conditioning seemed to be a big problem with alot of players last year. The Antrim game springs to mind ,where we looked dead on our feet.

jonb_cúl

Sorry boojangles, a bit of tongue in cheek stuff there. I was only having the craic there with regards the time McCabe was meant to have travelled to watch a rugby match in Cardiff back in March while Cavan played a NFL match.

But yea its fairly impressive stuff getting a professional strength & fitness coach in to get ideas from, here's hoping that we get something constructive from this venture. I think it should be geared greatly towards the minor & U21 squads.
Babs Keating

jonb_cúl

Interesting stuff here...................

Renowned fitness trainer Mike McGurn is looking forward to his new role with the Armagh footballers.
The former Ireland rugby strength and conditioning coach, who recently ended his involvement with the Ospreys rugby club in Wales, will be a key figure in new manager Paddy O'Rourke's backroom team as the Orchard County bid to regain winning ways in 2010.

..........I suppose thats the difference right there, we get a guy in on a consultancy basis & Armagh get the same type of coach in as part of their backroom team!!!! ???
Babs Keating

BallyhaiseMan

Fergus Connolly is a world class Stength and Condtioning coach,who has worked with the WRFU consulted with Manchester United Football Club and worked with Bolton Wanderers in the past,
As he has profesional teams from all over the UK queing demanding his services,i cant imagine any  GAA county  would be able to afford a man like this for his services over a 10-12 month period,so to be fair to Cavan County Board,getting him in to consult is good work,as hes also in demand from other County GAA teams in consultancy roles aswell.
Mike McGurn is a terrific appointment for Armagh,hes one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in Ireland.
Niall Lynch is a PE teacher with third level qualifications from Strawberry Hill in London,he would be fairly knowledgeable in this area so we should be ok.

jonb_cúl

Fair point BHM, I wasn't getting at Niall Lynch or anything or like that. I was making the remark of how things are set up different in various counties. It seems that there is still an abundance of stg in armagh!!!!
Babs Keating

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: jonb_cúl on October 16, 2009, 12:23:50 AM
Fair point BHM, I wasn't getting at Niall Lynch or anything or like that. I was making the remark of how things are set up different in various counties. It seems that there is still an abundance of stg in armagh!!!!

know you werent jon, i didnt mean to insinuate you did,Sorry for that
Christ i wish we could get Fergus Connolly as our strength and conditioning coach,he would take us to another level,Ive been told an awful lot about him,by guys who know all about the very best exponents in the field of S and C and i just think hes nearly above GAA unless he was say appointed as Ulster Council or overall GAA Strength and Conditioning Co-ordinator/manager. I know hes a GAA mad man,but i think he would be mad to comeback as hes be wanted by an awful lot of professional organisations for his expertise.
Alongside the likes of All Blacks legendendary Strength and Condtioning coach Ashley Jones,hes rated as one of the best in the world.
I hope Connolly's input will help,because as you say none of us have criticised Lynch ,but we didnt look at all sharp like a championship team should against Antrim last summer.
Armagh didnt look championship fit this year and looked very sluggish,McGurn will have them Conditioned to the last,Hes also big into his powerwork with weights,(Not going to bore anyone with the details,of lifts etc anyone who wants to know can PM me)so like other years under Grimley/Kernan,they will be a big and extremely strong team.
Wouldnt fancy meeting them next year in Ulster.

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 15, 2009, 11:36:38 PM
Fergus Connolly is a world class Stength and Condtioning coach,who has worked with the WRFU consulted with Manchester United Football Club and worked with Bolton Wanderers in the past,
As he has profesional teams from all over the UK queing demanding his services,i cant imagine any  GAA county  would be able to afford a man like this for his services over a 10-12 month period,so to be fair to Cavan County Board,getting him in to consult is good work,as hes also in demand from other County GAA teams in consultancy roles aswell.
Mike McGurn is a terrific appointment for Armagh,hes one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in Ireland.
Niall Lynch is a PE teacher with third level qualifications from Strawberry Hill in London,he would be fairly knowledgeable in this area so we should be ok.

You would have thought so.Lets hope we really see what Niall Lynch is made of this year.I always felt he would make a great coach,and obviously did dome fantastic work with Virginia but now is the time to get the best out of the Seniors. I know he is doing it for the good of his county and probably getting damn all in return but it was very disappointing to see the manner in which we physically folded against Antrim last year. The Team looked drained. Lets hope he learns from this.