Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonb_cúl

I heard that lacken & ballinagh agreed to join this year for the u21 competition? but according to the fixtures above this isn't the case, anyone hear any different?
You can't win derbies with donkeys.
Babs Keating
Before Tipp played Cork in 1990.

put-it-up

I know it is still early days and next year's panel is not even picked yet but do you guys think promotion is a realistic option this season?

If TC maximises our potential, and gets the team working hard (easier said than done ;D) I don't think we have anything to fear.

I definetly think we have the guts of a good team, they just need more belief instilled in them and they need to accept themselves that they will have to work harder to make a breakthrough. Find that hunger and desire to win....

Otherwise we will be stuck where we are for years to come.

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on October 13, 2009, 01:55:33 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on October 13, 2009, 11:31:49 AM
The Draw for the Under 21 Championship was made last night... a few interesting games there

Hotel Kilmore Under 21 Championship Division 2
Laragh Utd v Shannon Gaels Team 1
Mountnugent v Lavey Team 2
Drumlane v Knockbride Team 3
Drumgoon v Shercock Team 4
Bailieboro v Cootehill Team 5
Ballyhaise v Drumalee Team 6

Quarter Finals:

Cornafean v Team 6
Team 5 v Killinkere
Team 1 v Team 2
Team 4 v Team 3
Boojangles, what would Drumalee be like at this age group?  I would expect Ballyhaise to be strong, depending on Drumalee that could be a cracking game, local derby and all.
Drumgoon and Shercock should be a very competitive game too - definitely no love lost there
Would know much about the others teams apart from Drumlane who I know would be strong enough

We would not be that strong TBH.We struggled to field a team at Minor level for this age group. We would have 5 or 6 lads who have played Senior football which couldn't be a bad thing but most of them would be underage for another 2 years.
Lavey will be very strong I believe.Drumlane will be very hard bet too,we played them in the League last week and they had alot of Under-21s playing. While Ballyhaise should be there or there abouts. Ray Cullivan is a daunting prospect at that level.
You Under-21 yourself Celt Man? What sort of an outfit have you's?

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on October 13, 2009, 06:25:56 PM
The Draw for the Under 21 Championship was made last night... a few interesting games there

Quarter Finals:

Cornafean v Team 6
Team 5 v Killinkere
Team 1 v Team 2
Team 4 v Team 3
Boojangles, what would Drumalee be like at this age group?  I would expect Ballyhaise to be strong, depending on Drumalee that could be a cracking game, local derby and all.
Drumgoon and Shercock should be a very competitive game too - definitely no love lost there
Would know much about the others teams apart from Drumlane who I know would be strong enough

We would not be that strong TBH.We struggled to field a team at Minor level for this age group. We would have 5 or 6 lads who have played Senior football which couldn't be a bad thing but most of them would be underage for another 2 years.
Lavey will be very strong I believe.Drumlane will be very hard bet too,we played them in the League last week and they had alot of Under-21s playing. While Ballyhaise should be there or there abouts. Ray Cullivan is a daunting prospect at that level.

Ahh hard to know, there is the potential there to be a half decent side but it's a funny grade - anything can happen... Whatever about ourselves, I would expect Bailieboro to be a very good side - tough opening game
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Quarter Finals:

Cornafean v Team 6
Team 5 v Killinkere
Team 1 v Team 2
Team 4 v Team 3

The Celt Man never gives much away does he?!! :D Il take that as a Yes?
Wouldn't know much about Bailieboro TBH,but I suppose most of them would have been playing Division 1 or 2 Football at Underage which augurs well.
One more Ceist for ya Celt Man, any truth in the rumours yas mite have 1 or 2 new recruits next season???

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on October 13, 2009, 09:19:17 PM

Quarter Finals:

Cornafean v Team 6
Team 5 v Killinkere
Team 1 v Team 2
Team 4 v Team 3

The Celt Man never gives much away does he?!! :D Il take that as a Yes?
Wouldn't know much about Bailieboro TBH,but I suppose most of them would have been playing Division 1 or 2 Football at Underage which augurs well.
One more Ceist for ya Celt Man, any truth in the rumours yas mite have 1 or 2 new recruits next season???
Oh sorry, honestly didn't see that first bit.  No not Under 21, not in a few years - was involved in a few battles against Ballyhaise and your own club in that grade.
Jaysus I would have my ear to the ground to most things in the club (I think) but haven't heard a thing about any new recruits?? Care to enlighten me PM or otherwise - dying to hear the gossip now!!!  :P
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

PhilsJemmysField

DO any of you think that U21 is of any real purpose ?

Talk of it being replaced with U20 competition next year so will be a better option for understanding who plays on county u21

What do ye think

put-it-up

With regards to the U21's, our lot basically have the same team as last year. Will be a tight enough game against Cootehill. Doubt there will be a lot in it.

Our team will be without 3 or 4 older players through injury. Luke Sheridan, O'Mara and Damien O'Reilly are all out anyway so I would say a few of the minors will be called upon..

mylestheslasher

Looking at the National League draw from last year I think we have to be happy with the draw. Unfortunately I am not optimistic about our chances. Honestly, I think we will be doing well to stay in Div 3. I think the whole spine of our team is weak and from what I am hearing from lads  that were out and about at games more than me there is not a lot coming through. As someone else said, the focus needs to be on underage and that is why insisting the U21's train with the seniors is short sited. We will now end up with the usual half arsed preperation for the U21 championship. I am not hearing the right noises from Tommy Carr, county board or the supporters on the ground to have any real optimism. Sorry!

BallyhaiseMan

As for the underage Myles
it will be interesting to see how St Pats peform in the McRory and other levels this year with Peter Donnelly, Shaun Doherty  and Nicholas Walsh all working with them nearly fulltime now.
They start against  MacCartans on Saturday.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 14, 2009, 09:21:09 PM
Looking at the National League draw from last year I think we have to be happy with the draw. Unfortunately I am not optimistic about our chances. Honestly, I think we will be doing well to stay in Div 3. I think the whole spine of our team is weak and from what I am hearing from lads  that were out and about at games more than me there is not a lot coming through. As someone else said, the focus needs to be on underage and that is why insisting the U21's train with the seniors is short sited. We will now end up with the usual half arsed preperation for the U21 championship. I am not hearing the right noises from Tommy Carr, county board or the supporters on the ground to have any real optimism. Sorry!

That's what I was going to post. Even I can't summon any optimism from anywhere. From what I can gather, the local championships haven't thrown up a hell of a lot, Tommy Carr hasn't made any noises to the effect that he is more determined/ramping it up/going to change anything too fundamentally from year one (other than get the training going a bit earlier) and the continuing loading of resources into a dead-loss senior setup at the expense of underage (where the key to any rebuilding process down the road lies) is very discouraging and oh-so-typically shortsighted.
TC himself seems to be going through the motions and looks to have very little missionary zeal or drive about him at all.

I've practically retired from giving a shite about the county team, it just gives nothing back. Support, interest and passion is tapering off right across the board in a county where a sniff of an Ulster final would at one time bring 20,000 hopefuls charging but not now. I too am at the end of my tether. I've done quite enough supporting through the thin times, we could be doing a lot better if people of any vision or inspirational quality were in charge, but they're not and I'm forced to ask why I should pay money and buy tickets/support fundraisers etc. for something that just takes, takes, takes and never gives anything back. Sometimes you wonder if a basic like the players even training as hard as other counties is in place, for God's sake. The day is quickly approaching when other stalwarts feel the same, you can sense the thing fraying at the edges as the years go by and the team sinks lower and lower.

I don't even know why I bothered my arse typing this much, who actually gives a f**k really?

Good luck to the whole lot of it, it'll hardly die without me, but I'll live without it too.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 14, 2009, 10:23:31 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 14, 2009, 09:21:09 PM

That's what I was going to post. Even I can't summon any optimism from anywhere. From what I can gather, the local championships haven't thrown up a hell of a lot, Tommy Carr hasn't made any noises to the effect that he is more determined/ramping it up/going to change anything too fundamentally from year one (other than get the training going a bit earlier) and the continuing loading of resources into a dead-loss senior setup at the expense of underage (where the key to any rebuilding process down the road lies) is very discouraging and oh-so-typically shortsighted.
TC himself seems to be going through the motions and looks to have very little missionary zeal or drive about him at all.

I've practically retired from giving a shite about the county team, it just gives nothing back. Support, interest and passion is tapering off right across the board in a county where a sniff of an Ulster final would at one time bring 20,000 hopefuls charging but not now. I too am at the end of my tether. I've done quite enough supporting through the thin times, we could be doing a lot better if people of any vision or inspirational quality were in charge, but they're not and I'm forced to ask why I should pay money and buy tickets/support fundraisers etc. for something that just takes, takes, takes and never gives anything back. Sometimes you wonder if a basic like the players even training as hard as other counties is in place, for God's sake. The day is quickly approaching when other stalwarts feel the same, you can sense the thing fraying at the edges as the years go by and the team sinks lower and lower.

I don't even know why I bothered my arse typing this much, who actually gives a f**k really?

Good luck to the whole lot of it, it'll hardly die without me, but I'll live without it too.
CM,thats a bit too emotional for this time of night!!! have you been on the beer?  :o
im hearing rumours and stories and someone on here already said something likewise that Carr has picked most of his panel already,MOST being the important word.
Anyone any info as to newcomers to the panel?

Lawrence of Knockbride

I'm interested in what Put-It-Up (I think) said a few pages back about the development games not going ahead. Any truth in that? That would lend itself to what BH man just said as TC wasn't at a whole lot of championship games, if any.
I'm not as pessimistic only because I think with our best team on the pitch and totally motivated I think we have a decent team. There are weak spot esp corner-back and midfield but I think if we got Lyng, Rabbitte and Pierson back in the team and firing as they can then it would shore up a lot of the problems. Most of the rest of it is in the head and TC just doesn't inspire me. So I guess in summary I've just contradicted myself. Sorry, just back from a few with the maniac. ;D

CavanCola

I'm so disillusioned with Cavan football that I have defected to the Meath thread! How bad is that?

mylestheslasher

OK - let me just come out and be full negative. When I said the spine of our team is weak here is what I mean...

Goals - Miller has ability but is too dozy and lazy to train properly or to better himself. Waste of time having a hanger on on the panel if you want success.

FB - Rabbitte? Come on, how long have people been beating that drum. Hasn't kicked a ball for Cavan to the best of my knowledge since a McKenna cup game in Derry 3 yrs ago. Is he even up to it anymore? I don't see or hear of anyone else.

CB - For me we need a big strong man and a good reader of the game. We have some guys nearly all of these but none that 100% fit the bill. For me we are trying good WB's out of position at ctr back.

Midfeild - We have Galligan who works hard but lacks a little in ability but who is going to partner him.

Ctr Forward - Lyng would do a job but can he stay fit. If he can't who plays there.

FF - No ball winner in the county that I have seen

Where anyone can see optimism is beyond me. Underage where I hope to see something. I'll probably go to my fair share of stupid journeys around the country when the time comes as my negativity get absorbed by some optimistic madness in February but at the back of it I expect nothing much.