Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonb_cúl

any sign of Thomas Carr in the park today?
You can't win derbies with donkeys.
Babs Keating
Before Tipp played Cork in 1990.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: jonb_cúl on September 27, 2009, 08:58:11 PM
anyone hear how the d2 minor semi final went today in ballyjamesduff?

Knockbride beat Castlerahan by about two or three points, I heard from a Lavey man who knows these things. Think they play Knockbnride in the final now.

Not posting much here lately but just want to say I'm also a bit dismayed that Ciaran Brady didn't get his way with the U21s. Boojangles had it spot on, there's no point investing the lion's share of resources into the seniors as they're going nowhere in a hurry, Cavan need to rebuild from the bottom up instead of worrying about our glorious seniors all the time. Heaven and earth has been moved for the seniors in recent years and we get damn all back in return. The seniors could get ample and adequate enough attention to keep them ticking over without pulling rank on the U21s who'd be better off in a healthy setup under Brady where there'd be some chance of actually competing.

And Tommy Carr not attending the hard-bite championship games in favour of watching meaningless development games where the commitment is debatable to say the least, well that beggars belief altogether. It's a big year for Tommy and this doesn't give me much confidence.

ac39 - I looked at those youtube clips of 1997. It'd break your heart.

space rabbit

Lavey deserved their victory yesterday.  They were on top all over the field and made Cootehill look very poor. Lavey had a harder run to the final and these games would have stood to them.  Colm Smith is not County Standard on yesterdays perfomance but he was well marked and didnt have a whole pile of help.

In the Junior the bridge deserved the win, swad kicked a few lovely long range scores but the goals were the difference.  Felt sorry for the Swad sub keeper he was only on and was picking the ball out of the net.  Dont think he was at fault for any of the goals.  The man of the match was totally wrong.  Whoever picked it should be ashamed, Mulvey did very little the whole game and only really got on the ball in the last few minutes when the game was won. 

space rabbit

Keoghan had his buddy Martin McHugh and Jack O'Connor out on the town Saturday night.

put-it-up

Quote from: space rabbit on September 28, 2009, 11:32:16 AM
Keoghan had his buddy Martin McHugh and Jack O'Connor out on the town Saturday night.

I was on the town with my friends, you don't hear me shouting about it :)

Really was not impressed with either final and found it hard to pick some one out that looked county standard.

Smith and Jordan from Lavey were the only ones that looked liked they would be worth a shot.

I am a big fan of McCutcheon and he would definetly get playing wing-back on my county team - but he looked like he was trying to run the ball into the goals himself yesterday.

Colm Smith is nowhere near ready for it yet either.

My heart went out to the Swad sub keeper,  I'd say when the rest of the lads got pints into them, they handed out a fair bit of guff :)

space rabbit

Quote from: put-it-up on September 28, 2009, 12:03:38 PM

Good man you have friends.

put-it-up

Quote from: space rabbit on September 28, 2009, 12:14:59 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on September 28, 2009, 12:03:38 PM

Good man you have friends.

Yeah I have a few. Whenever I go on the beer with them I will let you know from now on :)

Ah I am only messing, I am sure you have some too! What club are you from SR?

boojangles

Lord oh Lord we can't even get the MOTM Awards right in this County. Noel Mc Phillips or Mickey Fitz were the 2 outstanding men on the field.Neither put a foot wrong all day. Cunnigham gave Mulvey the run around in the 1st half.
Second decision wasnt quite as bad but I felt for the important job he did,Joey Jordan deserved it.Declan Murphy would have been in the running only for the sending off.
2 Poor finals but finals are rarely great spectacles.Goals win games and that was proven especially by the Bridge,who up until the 1st goal were very poor.
From the 4 teams it would be hard to pick out too many potential county men. Michael Cunnigham still has something to offer IMO. There wasnt anyone else in the Junior final.
Having watched alot of the Intermediate Championship Darren Smith definitely deserves a call-up andf if right is right he will get Intermediate Player of the Year.Joey and Stephen Jordan may also be worth a call.
I wouldn't envy Tommy Carr because the brutal truth is we do not have the footballers in Cavan to make any sort of a breakthrough.No midfielders,No Full-Back. He is aiming at Top 12 in the country,He is dreaming. But he will walk away at the end of next year with the cash in hand and Cavan football will still be no further on.

BallyhaiseMan

Disagree with you about Joey Jordan being worth a call up boojangles,
Kevin Tierney destroyed him in the first half in the quarter final,He would be found out at IC level against real pace.
Stephen Jordan is well worth a shot at wing back or wing forward, as is Darren Smith at corner or full back.
Karl Duke is going to be a good one even if he didnt play aswell as ive seen him play yesterday(i think he could be still minor next year)
Stephen Tierney is a class act,who should be on the county under 21's next year IMO.
Kevin Brady is a very talented player but he has no consistency whatsoever
What do you think of Darren Jordan, Boojangles?worth a shot in McKenna Cup aswell?

Commiserations to Celt Man and Cootehill,but Celt Man just look at it this way,i know you're hurting and either drunk or hungover about now(know the feeling from last year :P),but,Lavey,Drumalee,Ballinagh all lost intermediate finals before they won one,
It was a good learning experience for an ever improving young team,who will be there or thereabouts next year again.

space rabbit

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on September 28, 2009, 05:14:58 PM

Commiserations to Celt Man and Cootehill,but Celt Man just look at it this way,i know you're hurting and either drunk or hungover about now(know the feeling from last year :P),but,Lavey,Drumalee,Ballinagh all lost intermediate finals before they won one,
It was a good learning experience for an ever improving young team,who will be there or thereabouts next year again.

McGahan  34/35
David McCarney 33 ?
Nulty 31
Brian Sherlock 31
Paul Mc Carney 30
Fox 33/34
Kelly 29/30
Christopher Sherlock 30
McCrudden 30

Lads like Smith, Hayes and Connolly will be about for a long time yet and are good players, but i dont think they have enough coming on to challenge for Intermediate in the near future. Yesterday was their big day out and unlucky for them they came up against a Lavey team who had better players all over the park. 

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: space rabbit on September 28, 2009, 05:42:53 PM

McGahan  34/35
David McCarney 33 ?
Nulty 31
Brian Sherlock 31
Paul Mc Carney 30
Fox 33/34
Kelly 29/30
Christopher Sherlock 30
McCrudden 30

Lads like Smith, Hayes and Connolly will be about for a long time yet and are good players, but i dont think they have enough coming on to challenge for Intermediate in the near future. Yesterday was their big day out and unlucky for them they came up against a Lavey team who had better players all over the park.
+
David Clegg
Mark Mullan
Eoin Roche
Sean Fitzpatrick are also good young players.
Plus Stephen Dempsey if hes able to give the commitment

alot of those lads you named have a few more years in them yet.

space rabbit

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on September 28, 2009, 05:51:29 PM
Quote from: space rabbit on September 28, 2009, 05:42:53 PM

McGahan  34/35
David McCarney 33 ?
Nulty 31
Brian Sherlock 31
Paul Mc Carney 30
Fox 33/34
Kelly 29/30
Christopher Sherlock 30
McCrudden 30

+
David Clegg
Mark Mullan
Eoin Roche
Sean Fitzpatrick are also good young players.
Plus Stephen Dempsey if hes able to give the commitment

alot of those lads you named have a few more years in them yet.

Some of them would have a few years left alright and they may get back to a final, intermediate is very weak

Ballyhaise, Killeshandra, Crosserlough or Ballinagh would be the teams that i would expect to challenge next year.  Maybe Drumalee if they can get their act together.

Drung

QuoteNoel Mc Phillips or Mickey Fitz were the 2 outstanding men on the field.Neither put a foot wrong all day. Cunnigham gave Mulvey the run around in the 1st half.

Senan Flanagan was MOTM by a long way. He scored 1-4 (1-3 from play) and set up the second goal by winning a great ball around the middle from three Swad men and delivering a perfect pass.
I thought Mickey Fitzpatrick was very quiet actually!
Noel McP had a great game alright.
Michael Cunningham was good for a while but faded out of it.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I'd have to disagree with you re Tom Carr Boojangles. I think he called it right when he said we're not going to win an All-Ireland but we have roughly the same ability as a lot of counties and it's just a matter of getting a motivated, focused and committed team. At Full-Back there's the possibiliy of Darren Rabbitte and Eoin Smith battling it out. Midfield is a definite problem as is corner-back but if we could just get everyone fit and playing for each other I don't think it's so gloomy. Unfortunately I do think the reality is that between the players' attitude and the management we currently have that there's not much ground for optimism.

mylestheslasher

I made it to my first club game in a long time on Saturday where the leaguers played kingscourt. All I have to say is that if they are the top 2 teams in div 2 then the standard of football is very poor indeed.