Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Swad
Cootehill
Gaels
Those are my predictions.
Celt Man, if im not on before Sunday,Best of luck.

boojangles

Quote from: space rabbit on September 22, 2009, 02:48:01 PM
Quote from: boojangles on September 22, 2009, 02:18:44 PM
Mickey Lee has been chosen to referee at the Junior Final on Sunday. Didnt hear who got the Intermediate,Im sure Celtman could fill us in?

Gerry Sheridan

Will have to pack the ear plugs for the first game  :D

Mickey can be hard on the ear alright,he gets horrid excited with the whistle!! But he is one of a small band of 'Good' referees in Cavan who can actually control a game and use common sense.

Predictions:
The Bridge
Lavey
The Gaels

with Ballyhaise in the Minor

Celt_Man

Quote from: space rabbit on September 22, 2009, 01:55:08 PM
Whats the craic around Cootehill leading up to the final Celt_Man, is there a good buzz around?  Any other members have clubs in any of the finals?

It's been 38 years since Cootehill were in a championship final so there is a great buzz about the place in general.  Loads of flags, signs, banners and bunting up the main street - great to see really.  Not that inspiration is needed but some of the sights couldn't but spur you on.

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on September 22, 2009, 05:17:25 PM
Swad
Cootehill
Gaels

Cheers boss. Much appreciated...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Lawrence of Knockbride

Very little comment on the weekend semis lads? Did ye not go?
I agree that Mickey Lee is one of the best in the county. Someone said that Jimmy was good in the other game at the weekend. I'd have to disagree STRONGLY.
Best of luck Celt Man. If winning helps bring on a big town team then it's good for all of us.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Celt_Man on September 22, 2009, 07:36:03 PM
Whats the craic around Cootehill leading up to the final Celt_Man, is there a good buzz around?  Any other members have clubs in any of the finals?

It's been 38 years since Cootehill were in a championship final so there is a great buzz about the place in general.  Loads of flags, signs, banners and bunting up the main street - great to see really.  Not that inspiration is needed but some of the sights couldn't but spur you on.

Swad
Cootehill
Gaels

Is that right? Hard to believe. Good luck at the weekend.

Celt_Man

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 22, 2009, 08:51:29 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on September 22, 2009, 07:36:03 PM

Swad
Cootehill
Gaels

Is that right? Hard to believe. Good luck at the weekend.

Yea been to two senior semi finals since and handful of intermediate ones.  only 2 senior and two div 2 leagues and that's it.  Cheers
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

North Longford

Was at the semis on Saturday...........
Brief thoughts.
Denn well organised and took scores on the break very well. Mullahoran......as bad as I've ever seen them and wouldn't pick their county players out too easily.
Killygarry too dependent on Martin Reilly and when Collins went back in front of him, that was that.
Gaels, Walsh is a complete waste at fullforward and Johnston to be honest not much better on the 40. Always has to play the ball and not brilliant at picking out a pass. For the good of their squad comraderie I would have taken Johnston off sooner. I would have moved Walsh from full forward much sooner. Reckon if they want a big man at full forward they would be better with Sean Reilly. Great pair of hands and looks a beter footballer than Walsh. To be brutally honest its hard to see how Walsh is on the county team because I'd say he's just barely good enough for the Gaels team. Certainly not at full forward the couple of times I've seen him. Maybe he is a lot better in the middle of the field (which I think he is) and the Geals might improve things a bit better by rejigging their team. Even Walsh on the 40 and Johnston and Dunne inside would be better. A team is going to need 2 exceptional corner backs to manage those 2.

PhilsJemmysField

Denn had a very strong defence system as soon as the lost the ball moved straight back into a packed defence mode and made Physical, Hard but fair contact. Full Back walked all over Eddie both for Clean and Dirty ball in second half. Full foward and corner foward for Denn looked good on the break with Cahill helping out but everything worked down one wing in second Half so not going to be hard to work out how denn play. Mullahoran scored once from play, subs they brought on were no impact, certainly would think a few players may never be seen again in Breffni, but you never know. Could be the start of a long cruel drop for Mullahoran, the Gunner came on but was badly injured really and had to go off. Mickey lee the little corner foward did well also but would'nt shut up is there any way the 4th official could give him a card for verbals

Killygarry played everthing to M Reilly and even though they got a good start it was always looking bad once the Gaels started running from Half Back. Forde kicked a good bit of aimless high ball at Walsh in first half but Smith ate him out of it both for Clean and Dirty Ball. Reilly looked fairly good at the middle as did Thomas but Killygarry defensively were very naive did not really funnel back so let Gaels Half Back line break. Once they got moving then it looked all over, Johnston was not at his best but still tied Killygarry up in knots a couple of times. Then at half time Forde gave J Galligan a really good lecture about how to referee with Chesty. Was incredible that two players could ignore going back in with their team like that for 5 minutes and lecture a ref at the 45. So amazingly after half time the Gales back line could then drag Reilly around the place and so he never got a smell of the ball and thus ended Killygarry's hope. As soon as the Gaels were on top they effectively had Collins and Chesty as sweepers brough Walsh to Midfield and Dunne ran riot for a few minutes kicking some lovely scores. Then got a lucky goal end of story

No crowd no atmosphere at all in Breffni, the gates are down 20% on last year in breffni even though we had more games in Championship. So that says it all. Hope Lavey do it at the weekend but think Cootehill have better scoring fowards so will be interesting. Junior final would not have a strong opinion. The Gaels team is not a patch on the team of  years ago from a pure football look but are still too good for Denn. Though Denn will make them work extremly hard  would suspect though that Joe McQ always gives everything to the County lads so the habit of a lifetime will not change now. So even that will help the Gaels

Denn Forever

Listened to the Games on the weekend on Northern Sound.  The commentator obviously tried to take a leaf from Michael O' book of commentating i.e.some background info and talking about it for a while.  I can't even articulate show bad he is.  And I'll have to do it again!

Was pleased to hear that Jerome Kiernan was mentioned a lot.  He seemed to have a good game.  Mullaghoran didn't seem to be at the races.  Was it bad day at the office or did we police them well. 

Now the big one.  How can we beat CG?  I would hope that we play our own game and let CG try and stop us.  Easier said than done but Trying to tie down CG and playing to minimise their effectiveness hasn't worked before and I would imagine will not work this time.  Let them worry about us and give it a go.

I see that Joe McQuillan will be reffing the final.  Would appear to be a bit officious but if we can be disciplined, no bother.

Will be hoping that Lavey can do the business on Sunday (neighbours and all that) and Swanlinbar.  Hope the games are good and would imagine that it will be better day of football than the Senior Final Day. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 22, 2009, 07:42:02 PM
Very little comment on the weekend semis lads? Did ye not go?
I agree that Mickey Lee is one of the best in the county. Someone said that Jimmy was good in the other game at the weekend. I'd have to disagree STRONGLY.
Best of luck Celt Man. If winning helps bring on a big town team then it's good for all of us.

Id have to second that.I thought he was more of a man Jimmy,I thought wrong.Let Forde and Chesty dictate to him. Yellows should have been dished out at HT.Let Chesty away with over the top tackle in 2nd half too.
RedNBlack had mentioned McKenna as possible county material,after seeing him on Saturday I would have to disagree.Gave Dunne far too much room and looks sluggish.Didnt get physical enough either. As mentioned by Put it Up, I was impressed with BBoro Centre Half,Declan Reilly,looks very strong.May not have the pace for corner back but definitely looks like a nuisence. Rooney looks very erratic,can do some great things but doesnt look very depenable.
Hard not to be impressed with Gavin Duffy from the Gaels.Very fit,strong and comfortable on the ball.
Best of Luck to Celt Man,should be an enjoyable game and I can enjoy it as a neutral. If Cootehill get any change out of a very mean Lavey defence they could do it.But IMO thats a big IF.

space rabbit

I think it could be a low scoring game, neither side are blessed with great forwards.  If Lavey can keep Smith quiet i will go for Lavey by 3.

boojangles

Quote from: space rabbit on September 23, 2009, 04:44:53 PM
I think it could be a low scoring game, neither side are blessed with great forwards.  If Lavey can keep Smith quiet i will go for Lavey by 3.

No prizes there,the majority of games in Cavan are low scoring.A fair reflection on the bad standards. Would tend to agree about keeping Smith quiet,which I think Joey Jordan may just do.But it always leaves it for somebody not so well known to make a name for himself on the Big day. CeltMan could be making the headlines next week!!!

PhilsJemmysField

was over in Kingscourt last night where Killinkere came back from the dead to draw with BBoro in a C Championship final. Was good to see in that BBoro had about 30 lads in the dugout so with first team players. That must mean that BBoro have in the region of 48 ~ 50 lads involved which is good to see. Maggie Farrelly nearly ran out of wind she was blowing the whistle that much but she called it ok over all. Charlie Clarke still has a lot to offer at that level. would b good to know what the Clinch said to Francis when he was took off with 10 minutes of first half to go. Hopping Mad as they say

PhilsJemmysField

Cartman Said "My Mama said if you wanna b a good -----------  then you gotta learn to lick Carpet"

anglocelt39

Brady pulls out of U21 race
by Paul Fitzpatrick
Comments (0) |  Print |  Email

Former Cavan defender Ciaran Brady has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant county Under 21 manager's position.

The Gowna clubman was originally offered the position, as revealed in The Anglo-Celt two weeks ago, but has since decided to opt out after failing to reach an agreement with senior management over access to players.

Brady had insisted that Under 21 players be allowed train separately from the senior squad and be available for all Under 21 matches in the build up to the Ulster Championship in March, a proposal which was rejected by senior manager Tom Carr.

"I would have been very interested in the position, I would have been honoured to be in charge of the Under 21 team but the condition that I had was that the Under 21 players that were on the senior panel would train with the Under 21 team and be available to the Under 21s," stated Brady.

"I didn't want a situation where the Under 21 players that were on the senior team were training with the senior team, playing senior matches and only returning to the Under 21 team a week or two before the Ulster Under 21 championship in March.

"That was the condition that I put at the very start when the county board approached me to see would I be interested in becoming Under 21 manager. However, senior management have refused to allow that, they want those players training with the senior team and they want them available for McKenna Cup and National League games.

"I just feel that as potential Under 21 manager, I couldn't prepare a team without having access to eight or nine members of the panel," he said.

It is understood the the county board had originally agreed to the conditions proposed by Brady only for the suggestion to be ruled out by senior manager Tom Carr.

"I'm disappointed that we couldn't reach an agreement on that condition but I feel that there is no way I could train a team and achieve the maximum potential of the team unless due consideration was given to the under 21 set-up," said Brady, who led Colmcille to their first Longford senior title in 50 years in his first managerial role last season.

"To me, you can't do that. That's just throwing everyone into a field and seeing what comes out of it without the organisation required."

Senior manager Tom Carr made little comment on the issue in an interview with The Anglo-Celt.

"I haven't heard and I'm not going to make a comment on it for something I don't know anything about or what way it has gone but certainly I did express my opinion to the county board on the way it should be done, but more than that I've nothing to say about it at this stage," he said.

Asked if his opinion was that the seniors should have first call on Under 21s, Carr stated that the issue was "not that cut and dry".

Meanwhile, the manager said that he is looking forward to getting back to work with the Cavan squad in the coming weeks.

"The next step is to get stuck in and start planning the training and put together all the bits and pieces, the backroom team and the various support staff," he said.

"I just think there is a good bit of stuff that we can cover that we didn't get to cover last year, and maybe get three months of work done that we weren't able to get done last year," said Carr, who confirmed that he will be naming a new panel in the coming weeks and there there will be some changes among his selectors
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds