Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Quote from: Drung on September 18, 2009, 04:12:32 PM
Still disgusted over last weekend, Drung made Cootehill look like Tyrone.
Colm Smith was very good though, worth a run with Cavan.
On this weekend's games, I'm tipping Shamrocks and Lavey to draw, Denn to win narrowly and Gaels to win by about 12 points.

What was that about back-heeling 45s?!

Celt Man might correct me on this but Colm Smith may be in college in England which would work against a run with the County. Good to see Cootehill re-emerge after so long, we need teams like that to be coming good for the sake of the County. How, in your opinion, did the County players perform Drung. Did Galligan get stuck in?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

space rabbit

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 18, 2009, 08:25:41 PM
On this weekend's games, I'm tipping Shamrocks and Lavey to draw, Denn to win narrowly and Gaels to win by about 12 points.

Celt Man might correct me on this but Colm Smith may be in college in England which would work against a run with the County. Good to see Cootehill re-emerge after so long, we need teams like that to be coming good for the sake of the County. How, in your opinion, did the County players perform Drung. Did Galligan get stuck in?

I wouldnt say Cootehill are coming good.  They have had a good run this year but would be an old enough team, be good to see how they get on against Lavey.

boojangles

Lavey win by 3 points.If Bailieboro had have had any forwards they could have won it.Couldn't believe how they left 14-Paddy Bird out the field for so long when he clearly looked like the only forward who might get a score.He scored a cracking goal in the 1st half but was very quiet for a long spell after that.Darren Smith had it all his own way until 7 minutes to go when they finally put Bird inside and the only good ball he got he skinned Smith and stuck it over.
Neither team looked outstanding but Laveys better use of the ball was the difference.Lavey are missing a real outstanding forward.Declan Murphy had a good 1st half and scored 2 nice points and Kevin Brady scored a cracking point in the 2nd half but I wouldnt like to be relying on either men to win a game for me.
1 dubious decision by Mickedy with 2 or 3 minutes remaining and Lavey a point up.I and most of the stand felt Bailieboro should have had a free in around the 20 yard line,he didnt give it and Lavey went straight down and scored.
Lavey-Cootehill final.Who knows what will happen.Lavey will be slight favourites but favourites don't always win Finals, especially at Intermediate.No disrespect to CeltMan but I definitely wouldn't begrudge Lavey a win.They have been knocking on the door for a while now and have reached a final without arguably their 2 best footballers. But none of that will matter on the day.

Celt_Man

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 18, 2009, 08:25:41 PM

Aye Colm is in college in Manchester for the next 3 years anyway so that would be awkward enough to be in the county set up but he is worth a shot anyway.  Thought John had a very solid game, rarely takes the wrong option and rarely loses the ball either.  Galligan, I'm sure, wouldn't have been happy with his perfomance.  I'm not saying he played bad but he would have liked to get on the ball a bit more.  Waters wasn't near fit but still didn't played badly either

As for teams like ourselves coming good for the sake of the county, I think I understand your point.  In a county like Cavan you probably need the bigger urban areas (towns) to be strong.  Simply put, the odds are the County would have a better chance of doing well if the likes of Bailieboro, Kingscourt, Belturbet, Virginia (Ramor), Cootehill and Cavan had good strong teams than if all those places had weak teams.  I'm definitely not saying the two things go hand in hand but you would have a better chances with a stronger pick
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on September 18, 2009, 11:29:44 PM
Lavey win by 3 points.If Bailieboro had have had any forwards they could have won it.Couldn't believe how they left 14-Paddy Bird out the field for so long when he clearly looked like the only forward who might get a score.He scored a cracking goal in the 1st half but was very quiet for a long spell after that.Darren Smith had it all his own way until 7 minutes to go when they finally put Bird inside and the only good ball he got he skinned Smith and stuck it over.
Neither team looked outstanding but Laveys better use of the ball was the difference.Lavey are missing a real outstanding forward.Declan Murphy had a good 1st half and scored 2 nice points and Kevin Brady scored a cracking point in the 2nd half but I wouldnt like to be relying on either men to win a game for me.
1 dubious decision by Mickedy with 2 or 3 minutes remaining and Lavey a point up.I and most of the stand felt Bailieboro should have had a free in around the 20 yard line,he didnt give it and Lavey went straight down and scored.
Lavey-Cootehill final.Who knows what will happen.Lavey will be slight favourites but favourites don't always win Finals, especially at Intermediate.No disrespect to CeltMan but I definitely wouldn't begrudge Lavey a win.They have been knocking on the door for a while now and have reached a final without arguably their 2 best footballers. But none of that will matter on the day.

If it wasn't ourselves, I wouldn't begrudge Lavey anything either but knocking on the door could have feck all effect next Sunday (Please Jaysus!)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

put-it-up

In fairness to Lavey, although we could have won the game they were the better team. There was some hard hits and strong tackling and even thought it was relatively low-scoring, I thought it was a good championship match with a lot of hunger and passion.

Wish them all the best in final.

I Like Darren Smith a lot and I have mentioned our number six Declan Reilly before, I think he has the makings of a very good county corner-back if he was given the chance. He is a nuisance

Lawrence of Knockbride

Repeat of last year's final lads. That's the first time I've seen Mullahoran this year and unless that was a one off then it's the worst team I've seen them put out ever. They didn't even have the heart to try to the end, or so it appeared. Their forwards really were shockingly bad, both in winning ball and executing a shot, although credit must go to the Denn backs who again played very well collectively.
Colin McKiernan was again the scoring hero and three of his points could have been goals only for him to take the correct decision in a low scoring game.
The second game was strange with hardly any atmosphere. Great start by Killygarry going 4 ahead early on but the atmosphere may be explained by a sense of inevitability that when the gaels got in front they wouldn't be stopped and so it proved.
Eoin Smith had a good game on Walsh (TC was hardly there?) and the victory was sealed when the took Walsh away from the square to allow Dunne to run riot in a 5 minute spell.
Martin Reilly did well on Crotty first half but Collins proved effective as the extra man in front of their one true target.
I'd have thought Nelligan wouldn't be to happy losing his place to Johnston.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Drung on September 18, 2009, 12:28:30 PM
What message would is send out to young fellas who want to play other GAA sports? The message would be that football is king here, rules are rules and f**k anything else.
This narrow-mindedness and failure to see the big picture is typical of Cavan 'GAA' supporters.

Ah Drung, it is indeed a difficult path in life you have chosen getting down and dirty on the GAA Discussion Board with the narrow minded neanderthals that make up the typical  body of Cavan GAA support. I want to be the first to thank you for your efforts to raise the tone of discussion to a more lofty and broad minded level. Keep it up mate

space rabbit

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 20, 2009, 01:27:39 PM
Quote from: Drung on September 18, 2009, 12:28:30 PM
What message would is send out to young fellas who want to play other GAA sports? The message would be that football is king here, rules are rules and f**k anything else.
This narrow-mindedness and failure to see the big picture is typical of Cavan 'GAA' supporters.

Ah Drung, it is indeed a difficult path in life you have chosen getting down and dirty on the GAA Discussion Board with the narrow minded neanderthals that make up the typical  body of Cavan GAA support. I want to be the first to thank you for your efforts to raise the tone of discussion to a more lofty and broad minded level. Keep it up mate

Two days later  ::)

anglocelt39

Quote from: put-it-up on September 19, 2009, 12:57:52 PM
In fairness to Lavey, although we could have won the game they were the better team. There was some hard hits and strong tackling and even thought it was relatively low-scoring, I thought it was a good championship match with a lot of hunger and passion.

Wish them all the best in final.

I Like Darren Smith a lot and I have mentioned our number six Declan Reilly before, I think he has the makings of a very good county corner-back if he was given the chance. He is a nuisance

Commiserations Put it Up. Mind you from speaking to Francis Clark on my annual visit to the home place I got the feeling that the main priority was to get back up into Intermediate league and get a few more young lads through, he gave the impression that the Championship was a (very welcome) bonus. Wouldn't begrudge either Lavey or Cootehill  a win in the final. Celt  Man I remember some of your comments about the battles you are having keeping the thing moving forward at underage level. You'd hope that this might be some small bit of help in getting the younger lads interested.

Drung

QuoteWhat message would is send out to young fellas who want to play other GAA sports? The message would be that football is king here, rules are rules and f**k anything else.

Eh? Didn't you already reply to that a couple of days ago?
For future reference, here's how it works: You're supposed to then reply to my reply, not have a couple of days to think and then have another stab at trying to say something smart in response to the original post!
Less of this arse-boxing and back to the topic at hand. Let's call the finals lads - I'm going:

Bridge
Lavey
Gaels

anglocelt39

Ah Drung, your development on this board has been quite interesting. Started off as quite an internet warrior, in fairness to you became quite a reasoned and informed poster there a few months ago. Think your change may have been timed to coincide with getting an invitation to a face to face meeting from one of our fellow thread members, a no-nonsense type from the famed Drumalee club if I remember correctly.  ;)  Looks like the change was only temporary but I'm sure you'll be a bit more careful as to who you pick your arguments with in future.

Hard to argue with your final picks.

space rabbit

Whats the craic around Cootehill leading up to the final Celt_Man, is there a good buzz around?  Any other members have clubs in any of the finals?

boojangles

Mickey Lee has been chosen to referee at the Junior Final on Sunday. Didnt hear who got the Intermediate,Im sure Celtman could fill us in?

space rabbit

Quote from: boojangles on September 22, 2009, 02:18:44 PM
Mickey Lee has been chosen to referee at the Junior Final on Sunday. Didnt hear who got the Intermediate,Im sure Celtman could fill us in?

Gerry Sheridan

Will have to pack the ear plugs for the first game  :D