Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Pain

It's seems that as soon as Mr. Pain turns his back fanny-fits start everywhere. Get it together or the Pain gonna come down on you with an iron fist!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

big balla

Quote from: RednBlack on September 16, 2009, 01:54:25 PM
Quote from: Drung on September 16, 2009, 12:39:27 PM
Hang on, just so we're straight on this:
you are comparing a player having an injury to a player representing his club, county and country at a worldwide GAA event?

Remember, there is no prize money for this. This is for sheer pride.
Shame on you if you call yourself a GAA man and would deny someone a chance to play in a county final because they are representing Cavan and Ireland at the World Handball Championships.
It's not like he's going to make up the numbers, either. The man is arguably the greatest player ever.
With all of the problems, all of the f**king mess that the GAA is in in this county, your attitude is absolutely typical. Forget the bigger picture, mind your own little agenda.
I expected more from you.
one question: where was Paul when Cavan played Fermanagh in the Ulster championship this year. Every player makes a personal choice as to what his first love is. Fair play to the lad as he is true class but it is his choice to prioritise his handball over his football and hopefully he wins another World Champ. That is HIS choice and he is right to make it if that is the sport he loves most. Should everything else be put on hold because of this?
in fairness, he is representing Cavan and Ireland at the highest possible level in handball and they have every right to ask for the game to be put off. And its the club who want it done, you make it sound like Paul Brady personally asked the county board to postpone it so that he could have the best of both worlds. He is paying his own way to go out and represent us in a GAA sport. I totally agree with Drung, we should be delighted to have someone who gives that much commitment to Cavan and we should try to support them wherever possible

descartes

come on now RnB, where was paul when cavan played fermanagh?? so what if he was in america playing handball... As i understand it he makes it clear to the management team at the start of the year about when he will and will not be available, (of course you weren't in there doing stats last november when paul met with the management team so you mightn't be privy to that information,) and if they dont want him to join the panel then he will not do so, so dont come on here crying about his first love... If Sean Johnston had made the international rules panel last year the county board were going to put back the county final to accomodate that achievement, now we have a player who is captaining his countrys team at a world championships and you equate that to killygarry having a player injured...   ??? ??? ???

anglocelt39

anybody got a spare ladder there, Drung man needs to climb down off his pulpit
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

big balla

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 16, 2009, 08:26:23 PM
thanks for your input there anglocelt,

space rabbit

Whats your opinion of it?

Drung

Oops... Red n Black seems to have deleted his account...
Was it something someone said? ???

anglocelt39

Quote from: space rabbit on September 16, 2009, 10:06:25 PM

Whats your opinion of it?

Like many of these things it sure is not black and white and your opinion on the matter tends to depend on how it affects your position directly. Personally if I thought we could get the Ulster Council to buy in and put back any of our championship games because Paul is away playing handball I'm all for it. Can't ever see that happening mind, wonder why

space rabbit

Quote from: Drung on September 16, 2009, 10:52:17 PM
Oops... Red n Black seems to have deleted his account...
Was it something someone said? ???

He may have deleted a couple of posts but his account is still there.

shotstopper1

I do believe that Mullahoran asked the CB before the Championship started if they would agree to defer the final if the club reached it, and the CB agreed.It only seems to be an issue now that Killygarry have got to the semi's. The Gaels don't seem too concerned.

I really can't see how any GAA person in the county could deny probably our greatest ever GAA sportsman a chance to not only win a county medal with his club (if they beat Denn) but also defend his world Handball title, both GAA games.As far as I'm concerned it's proper order that Paul Brady can go to the World Championships with a clear head,and not have the dilema of whether to put club or country first.

Babe Ruth 47

This whole thing has really been taken out of context. Its hardly the opinion of the whole of Killygarry, just one single poster. I really doubt people would mind it being put back by 1 week, it would only add to the build up.

Drung

The county board were also planning to put back the final last eyar if Johnston had made the Int Rules squad, remember. He looked a certainty at one point.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Drung on September 17, 2009, 06:49:29 PM
The county board were also planning to put back the final last eyar if Johnston had made the Int Rules squad, remember. He looked a certainty at one point.

Well that's sorted so. I see hurling is making a bit of an emergence in Cavan again, including at my long lost home club. So if at some stage one of the lads is afforded the honour of being selected to play against Scotland in the annual Shinty internationals we have a precedent for more postponements. What about the under 17 International Rules tours to Australia? we usually have a few lads involved

I have great admiration for Paul Brady, but it's all about precedent, we will end up playing finals on Christmas Eve if we're not careful.

County Waterford is an interesting example of how things can be done. A few years ago County football champions missed first Round of Munster club because competitions ran late. This year, hurling and football championship at all grades is totally up to date. The reason, new County Board Chairman who takes no shit and publishes a fixture list which is the bible.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I agree with Anglo Celt. It's not about who minds and who doesn't. Paul Brady has selected handball as his number one sport. He knows that comes before everything else which is fine. The point is that you can't start moving games because of one player. If it was a case that half the team wasn't available as it was with the Down minors then there'd be a case. I'm not going to make comparisons that can be shot down. I just think in principle that Mullahoran knew this might happen and should put up with the possible consequences.

big balla

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 17, 2009, 08:04:41 PM
Quote from: Drung on September 17, 2009, 06:49:29 PM

Well that's sorted so. I see hurling is making a bit of an emergence in Cavan again, including at my long lost home club. So if at some stage one of the lads is afforded the honour of being selected to play against Scotland in the annual Shinty internationals we have a precedent for more postponements. What about the under 17 International Rules tours to Australia? we usually have a few lads involved

I have great admiration for Paul Brady, but it's all about precedent, we will end up playing finals on Christmas Eve if we're not careful.

County Waterford is an interesting example of how things can be done. A few years ago County football champions missed first Round of Munster club because competitions ran late. This year, hurling and football championship at all grades is totally up to date. The reason, new County Board Chairman who takes no shit and publishes a fixture list which is the bible.
the aussie rules is only a mongrel game that was invented as a money spinner, the handball Paul Brady will be playing is exactly the same as he plays here. you cant compare the two. fair enough it sets a prcedent, that any team with a  player captaining ireland at a world championship in a gaa sport should be allowed have a game postponed by one week.i doubt it will turn into an epidemic