Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up

Well lads, was away over the weekend. Decided to avail of the sunshine after the Bboro game was called off ;D ;D ;D

On behalf of the entire club however, can I extend my sympathies to the Lavey goalkeeper and anybody else connected with the family.

Hopefully, we get a good competitive game on Friday.

Heard the Cootehill result and have to say - fair play to them. Seen them play in the groups and was not impressed but clearly they have improved a lot. Where was McCutcheon playing?

Couldnt agree with your more R'nB with regards to the corner back situation. It something I have highlighted a good bit.

Also the gk situation is fairly open as well. After James, there would be a handful of keepers in and around the same ability levels who deserve a shot.

BigMac

Its very sad what happened to the young Lavey gaolies mother. I know him and his brothers a bit and its all very sad.
However I dont really know the procedure here but I cant imagine Conor will be playing on friday against Baileboro, and with Finbar Jordan and Sean Maguire missing aswel, Lavey would be very depleted. Baileborough would probably be favourites now. Maybe even for outright honours. Ive also heard rumours that Kevin Brady has missed a few training sessions with a bit of an injury. Im sure he will play some part but as I say these are only rumours.
Im also looking forward to seeing Killygarry, I think they will put it up to the gaels as long as they dont go in to the game giving too much respect to the opposition. If they give them too much respect and dont get on with their own game and instead consentrate on trying to stop the gaels they could find themselves with the game over after 15 minutes. Im sure their management will have them well drilled before the game so im looking forward to a good one.
Ive been away for the summer so I havent seen any championship really, but is there any players that would be looking like potential county men? Ive heard about Darren Smith and Eoin Smith as potential full backs, what about Colm Smith from Cootehill, or Kevin Tierney, maybe hes still a bit young. Enda McCormack, Kevin Brady, Daryl McKenna, Bud Fitzpatrick and Thomas Corr might be worth a look at. I realise some of them have been in already but they were young then and might have matured as players and men. Any one else see any possible panelists or even someone who might push for a place on the county team?

boojangles

Killygarry will really be up against it this weekend,I know it would be great for football if Killygarry could cause an upset but TBH I just can't see it.Im also hearing that Johnston is home today.Although another has told me he's not back til 24th.Killygarry should be expecting him this weekend Id say.

BigMac Thomas Corr and EndaMcCormick are definitely worth another look.Both lads have lots of power.Something Cavan need.Colm Smith and Darren Smith mite also be worth bringing in.I wouldn't be so sure about the rest you mentioned.Tierney is far too young.Bud Fitz is still U-21 I believe too.

boojangles

Supposedly the CB have thrown the book at the Gaels following incidents after the Junior game on Sunday. 7 or 8 suspensions including 2 of their Senior players.Unless something happened down the tunnel then it seems a bit harsh. Anything happen about the Gowna incident the week before???

space rabbit

Quote from: boojangles on September 15, 2009, 04:09:54 PM
Supposedly the CB have thrown the book at the Gaels following incidents after the Junior game on Sunday. 7 or 8 suspensions including 2 of their Senior players.Unless something happened down the tunnel then it seems a bit harsh. Anything happen about the Gowna incident the week before???

I cant see them taking that lying down. 

boojangles

Quote from: space rabbit on September 15, 2009, 05:30:13 PM
Quote from: boojangles on September 15, 2009, 04:09:54 PM

I cant see them taking that lying down.

Well I seen the reaction of the 2 players in question,they were doing water boys and unless they did more down the tunnel then they should definitely be appealing.I know what I would have been doing on Sunday if he had done the same on my club. I would not condone violence on a ref but when are referees gonna be made accountable for their mistakes? The standard of refereeing in Cavan is ABYSSMAL.

boojangles

Quote from: REDCOL on September 15, 2009, 07:11:27 PM
In my opinion the referee was very lenient to the Gaels forwards throughout the second half . The incident that everyone feels that should have been at least a free was preceded by a clear push in the back by the Ballyhaise manager on the Bridge Centre Back. I can appreciate the Gaels players frustration, but the Bridge werent jumping up and down when a lot of 50/50 decisions went against them in the 2nd half

I cant agree here.The ref was letting alot of things go and let some over the top tackling go and fair enough,Id do the same if I knew the referee was letting it go but the one decision that he had to make sure he got right and he made a complete balls of.
There was instances for both teams where he lets things go,steps etc but that decision cost the Gaels a draw at least.
The Bridge boys were jumping up and down at the final whistle when they realised he hadnt given a penalty.

space rabbit

Quote from: boojangles on September 16, 2009, 09:51:20 AM
Quote from: REDCOL on September 15, 2009, 07:11:27 PM
In my opinion the referee was very lenient to the Gaels forwards throughout the second half . The incident that everyone feels that should have been at least a free was preceded by a clear push in the back by the Ballyhaise manager on the Bridge Centre Back. I can appreciate the Gaels players frustration, but the Bridge werent jumping up and down when a lot of 50/50 decisions went against them in the 2nd half

I cant agree here.The ref was letting alot of things go and let some over the top tackling go and fair enough,Id do the same if I knew the referee was letting it go but the one decision that he had to make sure he got right and he made a complete balls of.
There was instances for both teams where he lets things go,steps etc but that decision cost the Gaels a draw at least.
The Bridge boys were jumping up and down at the final whistle when they realised he hadnt given a penalty.

They were jumping up and down because they were after getting to a county final. 

Drung

If Cavan were in an All Ireland hurling final, the football club final would be put back - this is the handball championship of the world and so-called Gaels are begrudging putting back a match by a week?
I am flabbergasted.
R n B, are you a friend and supporter of Cavan GAA, Cavan football or just Killygarry?
Seeing as handball is a GAA sport and we are lucky enough to have the undisputed world number one in our county and he is flying to America hoping to defend his title, we should be doing all we can to support him.
By the way, there is no prize money for the World Championships according to www.ushandball.org.

Drung

Hang on, just so we're straight on this:
you are comparing a player having an injury to a player representing his club, county and country at a worldwide GAA event?

Remember, there is no prize money for this. This is for sheer pride.
Shame on you if you call yourself a GAA man and would deny someone a chance to play in a county final because they are representing Cavan and Ireland at the World Handball Championships.
It's not like he's going to make up the numbers, either. The man is arguably the greatest player ever.
With all of the problems, all of the f**king mess that the GAA is in in this county, your attitude is absolutely typical. Forget the bigger picture, mind your own little agenda.
I expected more from you.

PhilsJemmysField

Is it true that both Gaels Div2 team and Gowna have been kicked out of league becuase of after match antics ?

Celt_Man

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on September 16, 2009, 01:02:58 PM
Is it true that both Gaels Div2 team and Gowna have been kicked out of league becuase of after match antics ?

Yea it's true..

Ex-Cavan star McCabe hit with suspension
16 September 2009

The Cavan Competitions Control Committee has come down hard on two of the county's leading clubs following recent incidents of indiscipline.

Gowna have been suspended from playing matches in Division 1 of the All County Football League for 12 weeks and fined EUR2,000 following alleged abuse directed at referee Ollie Donohoe after their SFC quarter-final defeat by Killygarry.

Meanwhile, Cavan Gaels have been hit with similar bans as a result of incidents after their JFC defeat by Butlersbridge last Sunday, with their second team also suspended from Division 2 of the All County League for 12 weeks.

Seven individuals from each club were suspended in all, including former All-Star Dermot McCabe (four weeks) and county under 21 player Conor McClarey (four weeks). The heaviest suspension was on Gaels goalkeeper Niall O'Riordan, who has been handed a 12-week ban while the club was also fined EUR2,000.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Lawrence of Knockbride

You've got to love the GAA. The suspension of clubs, as opposed to deducting them points is a joke. I haven't seen the league table in division 2 in a while but I do know that Kingscourt & Killeshandra are the top two. Killeshandra have both the Gaels & Kingscourt to play except now they'll probably be handed the two points from the Gaels match while some or all of the chasing pack may have already played them.
But it's ironic to see McCabe whinge his way through his career only to be hit with this suspension. And don't any of ye start on about what a servant he's been. I know he was but he was also a whinger.
I'm with RnB on the Gunner thing. There are many reasons that a player might miss a game but I don't think we should start drawing lines. He missed inter-county games for Cavan for handball related reasons. I doubt if the county got to any meaningful game, e.g. Ulster Final that we'd be looking to get it changed.
A little less of the emotions Drung. ;)

Celt_Man

Great win on Sunday in what was - looking back at it now - definitely not a classic match but not that it matters... We are in our first Championship final since 1971... we have gotten to a few senior semi finals and a handful of intermediate semis since then so Sunday really was a great day for a lot of people in the club...

Drung I suppose never really got going even when they got the goal against the run of play in the first half, they never really kicked on and only one more score from play in the whole game is a poor return.  But I have to say their captain Alan Curran, manager Joe Fitz and chairman Patsy Fitz could not have been more genuine after the game when they came into our dressing room - I really felt they meant every bit of what they said.

Now to the final, Friday night will be a tough game to call and I think it's dead even and wouldn't have Lavey as favourites at all.  Final fixed for Sunday week but that isn't 100% definite either but we'll not complain when it is.... 38 years is a long time I'd say we could stretch the wait out another week!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Drung

To be honest, it won't concern you anyway RnB, much as it pains me and every neutral.