Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drung

Lacken won the Intermediate in 2004 and lost three games.

boojangles

Quote from: Drung on September 01, 2009, 04:59:04 PM

Every team left in the Intermediate has been beaten this year.Drumgoon bet BBoro,Knockbride bet Cootehill,Drumalee beat Lavey and Bailieboro beat Drung twice.But thats the format that has been chosen.I think a team deserves a 2nd chance after been beaten,but after that its hard to call it Championship.

Mr. Pain

Boojangles, shut your pie hole. Nah, just kidding. Some big games this weekend. Any predictions?
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I see Mr. Pain & Drung have been relegated to Newbies too. Mr. Moderator-can't you do something? I predict some Pain if you don't. 8)

boojangles

Quote from: Mr. Pain on September 03, 2009, 11:21:44 AM
Boojangles, shut your pie hole. Nah, just kidding. Some big games this weekend. Any predictions?

Mr Pain your mothers a man-nah just kidding. Mullahoran,Gowna,Gaels.

Mr. Pain

boojangles

Denn Forever

Wish for the day?

Redhills would beat CG.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on September 01, 2009, 08:12:42 PM
Quote from: Drung on September 01, 2009, 04:59:04 PM

Every team left in the Intermediate has been beaten this year.Drumgoon bet BBoro,Knockbride bet Cootehill,Drumalee beat Lavey and Bailieboro beat Drung twice.But thats the format that has been chosen.I think a team deserves a 2nd chance after been beaten,but after that its hard to call it Championship.

I remember 2004 quite well, we were top of one group of seven teams with 2 draws and 4 wins and Lacken were fourth in the other group - got to the first knock stages (quarter final) and we were turfed out!! Same with Ballinagh top of the other group, and Lavey fourth in ours knocked them out in quarters.  I suppose looking back on it you are undefeated in 6 games in the championship and still get knocked out at the quarter final stage is a bit too much.

But on the other hand, what about if it was straight knockout, how many teams would be out of the championship from the wkend of 13/14th June - thats a very long time ago and odds are those same teams wouldn't be still training for the last 2 games of the league so football in Cavan in general wouldn't benefit from a straight knock out.

So the format we have isn't perfect but I think it's the best way of doing it...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Mr. Pain

Not a bad point Celt Man. But you could say Lacken and Lavey just won when they really had to and the other teams bottled it. Nevertheless, excellent rant in Mr. Pain's eyes!

put-it-up

Fair point Celt Man, i never thought of it from that point of view. I just completely disagree with a team losing twice or more and still being in with a chance of winning a championship.

Would keep teams from the same group away from each other as well. There is no need for seeding or anything, but just keep teams from the same group away from one another at the QF stage.

See Monaghan have added Grimley to their backroom team. That is Banty, McElkennon and Grimley. A lot of knowledge and experience there. Cavan could do with sorting a few things out soon enough!

Babe Ruth 47

Mc Elkennon as manager, Banty as trainer and Grimley as physio

put-it-up

Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on September 04, 2009, 05:25:26 PM

that is what would happen over here alright ;D

Celt_Man

Quote from: Mr. Pain on September 04, 2009, 04:37:10 PM
Not a bad point Celt Man. But you could say Lacken and Lavey just won when they really had to and the other teams bottled it. Nevertheless, excellent rant in Mr. Pain's eyes!

Oh I agree Lacken played well that day against us and we started to change things that had served us well up to that point which back fired big time.  But Lacken won it out that year and you don't win a championship without playing well so fair play to them.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on September 04, 2009, 05:25:26 PM

I suppose the only one we wouldn't know much about is Banty!

Monaghan now have some of our old management team.  If they do well, what does it say about us?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...