Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: put-it-up on August 30, 2009, 09:54:02 PM
Quote from: RednBlack on August 30, 2009, 09:45:33 PM
Quote from: Drung on August 30, 2009, 06:32:49 PM
Who was the ref in that game Red n Black?

John Smith

Was in at Denn CRahan game. Yes Denn were in their faces all night but I still think the off the ball stuff and mouthing is low. Especially at end of game when a few of their players got in the faces of the losers. Not on IMO.
Mackey took lots of stuff but still went over very easy at times. Heard Cusack pooped his hip out and another ambulance in for a Denn lad.

Lacken Crosserlough was poor but Raymond Galligan a very bright light. As sweet a free taker as there is around and is general play was very good. Impressed by Colm Smith last night and Pierce McKenna cleaned Ciaran Galligan on Friday night.

That must have been pretty sore on Cusack's behind. Never heard anything like that happening in a game before..Doubt his bum is the better of that experience  ;D ;D ;D

Aye Ray Galligan has something to offer, just not sure from what position though at IC level.

A lad from my own club is a serious man marker. Very old fashioned corner-back - no nonsense. I really think Carr and Co. need to find one or two of them.

Would McKenna still be up to county standard

He must have tore the hole of himself :D

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: put-it-up on August 30, 2009, 09:39:01 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on August 30, 2009, 09:16:18 PM
Denn beat the darlings of Cavan football Castlerathan tonight in a bit of shock. Fully deserved in my view. Denn epitomise what Cavan football doesn't have in general-balls and heart. They all give 100% and can tackle properly. The only negative thing to say about them is that Cahill spends the hour (and even some of the HT break) winding up his man. I was particularly impressed with Colin Kiernan for the second time this year. Probably a step below what's needed for the county but worth a look.
Methinks the boys from Ballyduff took this one for granted a little.

What wrong with winding up his man? I bet it was effective was it not?Another problem with Cavan football....a lot of the players are too nice.
You think Ryan McMenamin cares what peope think of him once he gets his job done?

Castlerahan are defo bottlers. Always hyped but never live up to expectation. How was Mackey? I imagine he did not enjoy Denn's swarm defence too much!!!!

Go for the ball hard and fair when it's there to be won. That's how you play the game. There's no call for that type of bullshit. Disappointing comment Put-It-Up.

Mackey went down easy the first time and I was surprised. But then I saw him having to head off for treatment to his mouth about 5 minutes later again so maybe he did get a smack.

I think McKenna has made it clear that he has no interest in playing for the county again. I'm surprised he's still playing with the club. Is Conor McCarey back playing with them?

Drung

QuoteDenn beat the darlings of Cavan football Castlerathan tonight in a bit of shock. Fully deserved in my view. Denn epitomise what Cavan football doesn't have in general-balls and heart. They all give 100% and can tackle properly. The only negative thing to say about them is that Cahill spends the hour (and even some of the HT break) winding up his man. I was particularly impressed with Colin Kiernan for the second time this year. Probably a step below what's needed for the county but worth a look.

Denn were full value for their win I thought.
Kiernan had an excellent first half but kicked three awful wides under pressure late on and gave the ball away very cheaply at one crucial stage too. No point in trying the likes of him at county level, decent club player but would never ben anywhere close to being a good county player. I would like to see Corr tried. Ronan Kiernan was good too.

put-it-up

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on August 31, 2009, 08:44:15 AM
Denn beat the darlings of Cavan football Castlerathan tonight in a bit of shock. Fully deserved in my view. Denn epitomise what Cavan football doesn't have in general-balls and heart. They all give 100% and can tackle properly. The only negative thing to say about them is that Cahill spends the hour (and even some of the HT break) winding up his man. I was particularly impressed with Colin Kiernan for the second time this year. Probably a step below what's needed for the county but worth a look.

What wrong with winding up his man? I bet it was effective was it not?Another problem with Cavan football....a lot of the players are too nice.
You think Ryan McMenamin cares what peope think of him once he gets his job done?

Castlerahan are defo bottlers. Always hyped but never live up to expectation. How was Mackey? I imagine he did not enjoy Denn's swarm defence too much!!!!

Go for the ball hard and fair when it's there to be won. That's how you play the game. There's no call for that type of bullshit. Disappointing comment Put-It-Up.
Mackey went down easy the first time and I was surprised. But then I saw him having to head off for treatment to his mouth about 5 minutes later again so maybe he did get a smack.

I think McKenna has made it clear that he has no interest in playing for the county again. I'm surprised he's still playing with the club. Is Conor McCarey back playing with them?

I dunno Lawrence. I know it is not nice to watch and it probably is abit harder to stomach at club football between lads from the same county that know each other. Like I wouldn't be a big fan of it myself but if it helped my team win I wouldn't care. You gotta do what you gotta do in them 60 minutes.

Win and wind-up your man or lose and be polite and sound? I know which one I'd prefer even if it not the nicest way to go about your business. 

Were too polite around these parts. Sometimes you have to cross the line just to get your job done.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I agree we're too nice but lads might be better trying to enhance their actual game than taking part in this type of behaviour.

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on August 31, 2009, 11:32:58 AM

I dunno Lawrence. I know it is not nice to watch and it probably is abit harder to stomach at club football between lads from the same county that know each other. Like I wouldn't be a big fan of it myself but if it helped my team win I wouldn't care. You gotta do what you gotta do in them 60 minutes.

Win and wind-up your man or lose and be polite and sound? I know which one I'd prefer even if it not the nicest way to go about your business. 

Were too polite around these parts. Sometimes you have to cross the line just to get your job done.

Couldn't agree more... for feck sake lads, we play in Ulster where you have such "nice" teams like Tyrone, Monaghan, Armagh Derry - some of the "nicest" teams in the country.  No point in getting used to lovely flowing football admiring each other on the field and then when it comes down to it for Cavan to make any progress in Ulster we are too soft and used to playing "nice" football.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

The following has been forwarded on to all clubs for discussion from the County Board.At least they are giving the clubs a chance to engage in the decisions that affect everybody. Have a read and if you feel strongly enough about any points let your club Secretary know. There are definitely some points I will be making my feelings known about.

Discussion points for clubs

Please discuss the following points and Master Fixture Plan with your club members.
Return your recommendations to me by the 18 of September for discussion at the next Co Committee meeting on 21st  September.
Please put forward practical recommendations to the problems your club has encountered and to improve the quality of football in Cavan.

A.C.F.L. League Division 1 to 6:

1. At a weekend where this is a full round of 1 to 6 should division 4 to 6 be played first i.e. Divison 4 to 6 played on a Saturday and division 1 to 3 on a Sunday?
2.  Should the games that are played with no county players, be played in the 13 day rule for county players playing in Inter County Championship instead of no games taking place?
3.  Should postponed games take place on Wednesday evenings?
4.  Is it right to run a round of league games in the middle of championship?
5.  Finals only in Division 4 to 6?
6.  Is League Competition started too early in year?
7.  Is Division 4 to 6 over too early?
8.  Should there be more league games at senior level? i.e. home and away.
9. Should games be changed after been fixed to accommodate club issues?
10. Is the policy of agreeing with opposing club to change date/time of game working?
11.   Are the fixtures 4 weeks in advance working?
12. Should clubs name 14 players who cannot play second team football in the league, this would stop clubs playing a lot of players in 2 teams and keep fringe players playing?
13. Is there a way the first 12 / 10 are sorted out?
14. If a club grounds is unplayable , and the opposing team grounds is playable, should that game move to the opposing club grounds and the original club get the gate?
15.  Should Division 3 teams be relegated to Division 4?

Hotel Kilmore Championship:

1.  Do we start Championship too late?
2.  Should quarter finals be an open draw?
3.  Should there be a week's holidays in the plan for holidays in July or August.  This would mean there would be no need to change fixtures for holidays?
4.  Are the county finals played too late?
5.  Time of year for Under 21 Championship
6.  Should there be senior /inter/junior championship games on Wednesday and Thursday nights
7.  Is Junior B, C and D competitions played on Wednesday evening working ok?
8.  Should the semi finals be seeded in the senior championship?

Master Fixture Plan
Please forward recommendations or observations on plan.

Bord na nÓg comments.
5 Divisions  is working well.

Shield finals only .No shield semi finals.

Two touch a great success.

Under 12 medals to be presented on the night (possibly by a prominent county player)Gold to winners and Silver to runners up.

No cups to be presented at U/12 level.

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on August 31, 2009, 01:56:28 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on August 31, 2009, 11:32:58 AM

Couldn't agree more... for feck sake lads, we play in Ulster where you have such "nice" teams like Tyrone, Monaghan, Armagh Derry - some of the "nicest" teams in the country.  No point in getting used to lovely flowing football admiring each other on the field and then when it comes down to it for Cavan to make any progress in Ulster we are too soft and used to playing "nice" football.

Totally agree,we'r far too f**king nice in Cavan.I am not one for Verbals TBH but theres nothing wrong with grabbing hold of your man and stopping his runs.A few raps off the ball will do no harm either.just have to be cute about it.Cavan backs have to start taking it to the limit,especially our corner backs.We need to find a few Dessie Mones.The media may not like it but if it works who gives a shit.

BallyhaiseMan

well  ::), Just had opur yearly breakdown on Saturday,
No complaints though Lavey deserved it,we played nowhere near our potential.
i still think we have the players to win an intermediate,but where we go from here is anybodys guess.
Disasterous weekend for club as Juniors were beaten in semi final yesterday aswell.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 31, 2009, 02:46:48 PM
i still think we have the players to win an intermediate,but where we go from here is anybodys guess.
Disasterous weekend for club as Juniors were beaten in semi final yesterday aswell.

What happened ye in the second half? You were winning at half time weren't ya? Obviously didn't get to look at any of your game.  I would imagine that Lavey are unbelievable red hot favourites for the whole thing now.
As for your juniors I can't imagine us giving them a bye in the quarter final helped you one bit
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Hard Luck BH Man,I know how you feel.Second half melt down killed your chances and it is something we were guilty of too.At HT in our game against Lavey I really felt that the game was their for us,but fair play to Lavey,They took their second chance with both hands.Lavey look to be the strongest left but who knows.Any of the 4 teams left could win it.

It really is a chronic problem in Cavan football with teams not being able to hold their form. Castlerahan,Ramor,Kingscourt,Ballyhaise,Drumalee I could go on. It seems that Ramor have gone back from last year where they looked to be so promising.Castlerahan seemed to be the team to challenge the Gaels but they bottled it when it mattered. Kingscourt promise so much but still havent delivered on their potential.
In Intermediate my own club has gone backwards since winning an Intermediate(although this year we have stopped the rot), Ballyhaise have undoubted potential but can't seem to be able to hold their form. Drumgoon have some great footballers but they rarely seem to click. It reflects on our County side obviously as I feel that the standard of club football has gone back even further in the last 2-3 years.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on August 31, 2009, 02:58:05 PM

What happened ye in the second half? You were winning at half time weren't ya? Obviously didn't get to look at any of your game.  I would imagine that Lavey are unbelievable red hot favourites for the whole thing now.
As for your juniors I can't imagine us giving them a bye in the quarter final helped you one bit
winning at half time,Lavey got the goal,and we missed some chances,and never pushed on,Lavey tagged on a few points and we were never coming back from that. Sickening stuff,with the effort the lads put in.
didnt stay to watch the Knockbride/Cootehill game as i was that sick.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: boojangles on August 31, 2009, 03:19:04 PM

Hard Luck BH Man,I know how you feel.Second half melt down killed your chances and it is something we were guilty of too.At HT in our game against Lavey I really felt that the game was their for us,but fair play to Lavey,They took their second chance with both hands.Lavey look to be the strongest left but who knows.Any of the 4 teams left could win it.

It really is a chronic problem in Cavan football with teams not being able to hold their form. Castlerahan,Ramor,Kingscourt,Ballyhaise,Drumalee I could go on. It seems that Ramor have gone back from last year where they looked to be so promising.Castlerahan seemed to be the team to challenge the Gaels but they bottled it when it mattered. Kingscourt promise so much but still havent delivered on their potential.
In Intermediate my own club has gone backwards since winning an Intermediate(although this year we have stopped the rot), Ballyhaise have undoubted potential but can't seem to be able to hold their form. Drumgoon have some great footballers but they rarely seem to click. It reflects on our County side obviously as I feel that the standard of club football has gone back even further in the last 2-3 years.
Very accurate observation there,All the teams you have mentioned are seriously underachieving,
Castlerahan were the team i thought could most likely topple the Gaels,and they blew it.
Ramor have undoubted ability,and turn it on in the league at times,but havent made a serious impact with this set of players at championship football yet.
Kingscourt,Terrific in the league,yet seemed somewhat stale and uninterested in the championship,maybe Division 1 was their One Goal this year.

Ourselves,bucketloads of ability,but always seem to have one bad day in the championship from quarter final stage on,and we dont seem to be able to play badly and win.
Drumalee-winners a few years ago,Unrecogniseable from that team,even though all the players bar One albeit major one are there.
Drumgoon are even worse than the previous two,as in recent memory,last 2/3 years,they havent even gotten to a semi final,which is shocking with the players they have at their disposal.
Cavan Football would be an awful lot stronger,with Better Ramor/Kingscourt/Castlerahan teams,
Look at Tyrone,numerous winners like Errigal,Carrickmore,Dromore,Killyclogher,Clonoe over the last 6 years.

Denn Forever

Been away for the weekend but what a lovely SURPRISE when I looked up Hoganstand.
But as posters have been saying, I thought Castlerahan would be a team that could challenge CG.

Looks liike I won't Denn play for a while as I have obviously bad luck for them.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 31, 2009, 03:47:34 PM
Been away for the weekend but what a lovely SURPRISE when I looked up Hoganstand.
But as posters have been saying, I thought Castlerahan would be a team that could challenge CG.

Looks liike I won't Denn play for a while as I have obviously bad luck for them.

Congrats on your win DF
I and the rest on this board never seen it coming.