Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: boojangles on August 12, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Mr Pain seems to have had it right all along.In saying that I still think Kingspan may only be lookin for a reason to get out of their deal with Cavan.Maybe next year.

Philip Smith put his foot down and got what he wanted, whenever he has had enough and leaves Kingspan will follow.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Swadman on August 12, 2009, 08:00:22 PM
Bo J is probably talking through a straw - Heard it from a leaguer there was a "cafuffell" or two at the game. Their (k/shndra) stand in goalie is called "Polish Tommy" (understandably enough as he is from Poland). Seemingly he took objection to some of the rough stuff and went beserk. The stint they all have to do in the Polish army stood to him. He got the comunist card along with a Drumalee guy
Two leaguers sent off I hear with one of them the wrong man which was later changed.
Quote from: RednBlack on August 13, 2009, 12:35:47 AM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 12, 2009, 04:32:02 PM
Jaysus lads,some of us are horrid crabby on here  ;D

havent been on since the weekend,
awful second half performance from our lads nearly cost us.
Beating Lavey 0-9 to 0-3 at half time,But fair play to Lavey,they completely destroyed us in the second half,and if the game had gone on 5 minutes longer,we would have been in that playoff Saturday Night.

Stayed in to watch the Kingscourt/K'garry game.
RednBlack
i rate your two cornerbacks Charlie Conaty and Darryl McKenna as very good footballers and in McKenna's case a possible county man in the future,But i thought Darragh Gunn and to a lesser extent Mark McKeown roasted the two lads.
I was very disappointed in Kingscourt to be honest,
Especially in Keith McCabe,Alan Clarke,Philip Smith and Ryan McCormack who all under performed.
Philip Tinnelly looked like a good prospect and Thomas Wakely was terrific at full back but other than that the Stars played very much within themselves.
Joe McMahon and Sean Og Gargan and Brendan Corcoran were big misses.
K'garry are for me clearly the 3rd best team in the county after Gaels,Castlerahan,However they havent put together one full solid 60/70 minutes from when ive seen them this year.
Martin Reily is too valuable to be stuck in the full forward line for 40 minutes at club level.
Jamie Coffey impressed me,hes built like a horse,but you can see hes still getting used to high level club football again.
Pauric Cahill was good,
Brendan Murray is a very promising player,Is he under 21 next year?
K'GARRY have the ammunition to go far,but i dont think this management is getting the most out of them.
Charlie hadn't trained all week. A few of the lads were off colour with the flu so it was good to get through the game with a win. Was impressed with Gunne and Tinnelly. Thought Colm Smith went well for periods at midfield. Heard Barry Reilly spent a week on the razz in Spain after he back from Oz and then got the flu when he came home so that accounts for a lot of his poor performance. Took our sideline a while to cop on to the fact they had put two men on Martin leaving Andy Mc free to sweep and build which I thought he did well in the second half. This is a good bunch of lads but I think when a quick change needs to be made in a big game it will be too slow in coming. Puzzled why they insist on pushing Martin inside when he was doing wreck on the 40. Same happened in league against Ramor and Cuchullains. Reilly flying and then shove him to the FF line. Thankfully Martin made his own way back out on Sunday and picked off a few nice scores. Agree with you that they are not getting best from these lads.

Murray will be 20 in Oct. Good looking prospect and deserves a lot more credit than he gets at times. First cousin of Niall's and he really helps Thomas since he got moved to the middle of the park. Cahill is finally starting to find his form. Had a slow start to the year but is now back to playing somewhat like he can.

A guy who gets very little credit and yet again kept them in the game was Paddy Galligan. Made two crucial saves in the first half and rarely if ever has a poor game. Would think he is worth a look at higher up the levels. Working hard on his kickouts and if they keep improving I think he could find a place in county setup.

All year it has been a case of a good 20 minutes per game and not able to put teams away. If and its a big if they can put a whole game together they have the potential to trouble the big boys. Consistency will kill them yet. Hope I am proved wrong though  ;D
How did Declan Sheridan make his way back to the line RnB? He must have been talking to King. ;D

North Longford

Lads what is Mickey grahams role with the gaels.
He seemed in compete control at the Crosserlough game (and that was some game!!!!). Thought he was training somebody else. Is he over 2 teams (as well as the minors)

put-it-up

Quote from: North Longford on August 13, 2009, 09:26:45 AM
Lads what is Mickey grahams role with the gaels.
He seemed in compete control at the Crosserlough game (and that was some game!!!!). Thought he was training somebody else. Is he over 2 teams (as well as the minors)

Yeah he would have a fair bit of influence there.. The Gaels have an outside manager in Mick O'Dowd, but as I said Mickey seems to have a fair bit of influence.

Next year I think he will be fully focused on the minors.

Also saw he dusted off the old puma king's and togged out for the Juniors last weekend ;D

BallyhaiseMan

North Longford
Mickey Graham is training Ballyhaise,an intermediate team.
I can see him taking the Gaels next year(unless it was agreed that he would not take any other team) along with the county minors.

Must have been awful weekend for some poor junior corner back maybe hungover and find hes marking one of the cleverest footballers in the county over the last decade.
  :D

spoggles

Minor Championship 2009

Div 1
Quarter Finals - 08/09/09

1. Ramor vs. Mullahoran
2. Killann Gaels vs. St Joseph's
3. Cavan Gaels vs. Kingscourt
4. Redbridge vs. Ballyhaise

First names team has home advantage

Semi Final Draw

Winner 2 vs. Winner 3
Winner 4 vs. Winner 1

surely the gaels cant win this minor championship..
8 good teams so should be a good championship..think there wil be a few suprises along the way but looks lik it could be a repeat of the league final but there a lot of football to be played before that.
anyone got any opinions on thier clubs chances??

Celt_Man

Minor Championship 2009

Div 1

1. Ramor vs. Mullahoran
2. Killann Gaels vs. St Joseph's
3. Cavan Gaels vs. Kingscourt
4. Redbridge vs. Ballyhaise

First names team has home advantage

Semi Final Draw

Winner 2 vs. Winner 3
Winner 4 vs. Winner 1

Div 2

Preliminary Round - 05/09/09

Drumgoon vs Lacken

1. Lavey vs. Crosserlough
2. Knockbride vs. St Finbarrs
3. Drumalee vs, Slibh Glah Gaels
4. Castlerahan vs. Winner or Prelim Game

Semi Final Draw

Winner 4 vs. Winner 2
Winner 3 vs. Winner 1

Div 3

1. Blackwater Gaels vs. Drumport
2. Gowna vs. Killinkere
3. Shannon Gaels vs. Belturbet
4. Ballinagh vs. Laragh Utd

Semi Final Draw

Winner 3 vs. Winner 1
Winner 4 vs. Winner 2

Div 4

Cornafean vs. Cuchullains

Semi Finals

1. Winner of Prelim game vs. Cootehill
2. Kildallan vs. Ballymachugh

First named teams have home advantage up to and including the semi finals
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Babe Ruth 47

A town the size of Cootehill an their minor team is only in Division 4!! Something seriously wrong

put-it-up

Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on August 14, 2009, 05:40:36 PM
A town the size of Cootehill an their minor team is only in Division 4!! Something seriously wrong

Dont start Celt man off on another rant!

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on August 14, 2009, 06:01:06 PM
Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on August 14, 2009, 05:40:36 PM

Dont start Celt man off on another rant!

Yea there was no division 5 so division 4 had to do but thanks for the concern...

As I have already said before Cootehill as a club has no boundaries and it's open seasion for Drumgoon especially for anyone in town...

Celt_Man

Quote from: RednBlack on August 14, 2009, 05:53:20 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on August 14, 2009, 04:45:08 PM

Div 2

Drumgoon vs Lacken

3. Drumalee vs, Slibh Glah Gaels What do you think Booj??? Can the mountain neighbours beat the town neighbours???

Semi Final Draw

Winner 4 vs. Winner 2
Winner 3 vs. Winner 1

The Drumalee delegate at the meeting the other night, basically said that because they were still placed in Division 2 despite their poor performance in the league and not relegated - the players will have no interest and they will probably not get a team together - well done County Board

put-it-up

Pretty bad game in the park last night..Shamrocks scraped past Drung on a scoreline of 1-5 to 7. Wet windy evening, no particularly good individual performances but happy with the result ;D

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on August 14, 2009, 07:02:51 PM
Quote from: RednBlack on August 14, 2009, 05:53:20 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on August 14, 2009, 04:45:08 PM

Div 2

Drumgoon vs Lacken

3. Drumalee vs, Slibh Glah Gaels What do you think Booj??? Can the mountain neighbours beat the town neighbours???

Semi Final Draw

Winner 4 vs. Winner 2
Winner 3 vs. Winner 1

What do you think Booj??? Can the mountain neighbours beat the town neighbours???

Semi Final Draw

Winner 4 vs. Winner 2
Winner 3 vs. Winner 1

[/quote]

The Drumalee delegate at the meeting the other night, basically said that because they were still placed in Division 2 despite their poor performance in the league and not relegated - the players will have no interest and they will probably not get a team together - well done County Board
[/quote]
We are very weak at Minor level and its a joke that we are in Division 2.But the Minor Board obviously know best.We have a panel of 18.We have some excellent footballers coming through at Under 16 level but we are very weak at Minor.Our best player has also just signed for Bohemians so I really don't know where it will leave us. On another point ,I have seen Sliabh Glabh Gaels a few times over the last few years and although they may not be the strongest I am firmly of the opinion that all Amalgamations should be in Division One.

[/quote]

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on August 15, 2009, 04:59:45 PM

We are very weak at Minor level and its a joke that we are in Division 2.But the Minor Board obviously know best.We have a panel of 18.We have some excellent footballers coming through at Under 16 level but we are very weak at Minor.Our best player has also just signed for Bohemians so I really don't know where it will leave us. On another point ,I have seen Sliabh Glabh Gaels a few times over the last few years and although they may not be the strongest I am firmly of the opinion that all Amalgamations should be in Division One.

Yea I know that can be the case, I know Mullahorn for example stong division one minor team but poor division 4 Under 16 team - sometimes it can just be blind luck with numbers and you can just get a good bunch of players coming through at the right time.

I understand your point about amalgamations - our Under 16 championship game - that we couldn't get a team for - was against Drumport and having played them in the league, half the match with 14 coz we didn't have a sub to replace an injured player they aren't strong and it would serve no purpose having them as cannon fodder in div 1.  My solution would be for the Co. board to provide football for a club regardless of numbers.  If a team like my own could only field an 11 a side team and don't want to go into an amalgamation then they shouldn't be forced into one and a 11 a side league should be established.  You'll find that most clubs would rather do that than amalgamate especially clubs who don't do it regularly like Killygarry, denn, drumlane templeport etc....

I think some people in this county have decided amalgamations are the way forward (and the lack of them is the reason we are doing so bad at senior level) so amalgamations will be shoved down our throats full time

put-it-up

Boo J, would he be signed professionaly up there or is he just playing his schoolboy football with them in hope of progressing on the bigger and better things?

With regards the amalgamations, i am not a big fan of them. This is the fourth year our club has joined with Shercock and it just doesnt seem to work.