Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

6'5 or 6'6? Jesus Christ.

I recall that lad playing for the U21s in the Ulster final against Down, is it the same guy? Was with the senior panel too under Coleman the same year but got a bad injury shortly after, I think it's the guy I'm thinking off. He has the size and physique anyway, but don't recall being overly impressed with his mobility or use of the ball but might be wrong...

Nobody seems to know what Flanagan did by the way, including Flanagan himself and the player he fouled by all accounts.

cavan4ever

He is very mobile but his use of the ball wouldn't be the best.  He could run the length of the field and kick the ball wide 3-4 times a game.   Probably isn't good enough for inter county but is Walsh or mulvey (has improved alot during this year)

Homer

Didn't see much regarding the Flanagan incident, Play had been stopped at the opposite end of the field and the referee made his way down to the umpire who was signalling his attention. After a brief consultation he walked over to Flano who was standing a couple of yards away and looked to be very astonished that he was about to be booked. The referee raised the red card and both Flano and his man looked at him with shock, his opponent then proceeded to sympathise with him. Flano then made a bee-line for the umpire; he was pulled away by his own man and began walking off the pitch towards the side line. Everybody turned away to continue with the action and Flano turned around and walked straight back up to umpire and had a few words with him. He was again pulled away by team mates and made his way for the side line once again. Keoghan had made his way out to meet Flanagan and as he did Flano appeared to push/strike him. This brought a bit of gasp from the crowd but he was only demonstrating what had happened on the pitch, showing Keoghan what the umpire perceived as a red card offence.

If the referee puts Flanagan down for striking only he will get one month, but if he also mentions abusing an official he will get three!

Great to see Ciaran Galligan back playing football again.

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan defeated by Tyrone in Ulster VS inter-county (U-18) football final Report from Hoganstand
21 March 2007

Cavan vocational schools inter-county team failed in their effort to win this season's Ulster schools inter-county (U-18) football final when in O'Neill Park, Clontibret on Tuesday, 20th of March they went under to Tyrone on a scoreline of 2-15 to 1-11.

As the scoreline would suggest this was a thrilling decider from start to finish between two talented sides, with the Tyrone side have that extra edge in attack which saw them sweep to their fourth title in a row at this grade.

Despite the cold and windy conditions both sides served up a memorable game of top-class football which saw both sides go on all-out attack from the off. Over the hour there was some brilliant football, great scores and some tremendous individual performances. In the end, the greater strength in depth of the Tyrone side proved the difference.

With the wind at their backs in the opening half, Tyrone raced into a six points lead after ten minutes play. However, as the half progressed the Cavan side worked their way back into the game and at the interval they trailed by 1-10 to 0-5.

As expected it was Cavan who forced the pace at the start of the second-half, but they were finding the Tyrone defence hard to break down. They were hit by a sucker punch midway through the half when the Tyrone side worked a quick free which sent Paul McAleer clear and he sent to the Breffni net to give his side a nine points lead.

To the credit of the Cavan side they never dropped their heads and they were right back in the match when the impressiv Conor Smith taking a pass from Adrian Cole sent to the Tyrone net. They continued to press forward but despite having plenty of possession they could only add a further two points to their tally.

In the end, Tyrone finished the game strongly adding four points to their tally for a deserved and impressive victory.

This final was a great advertisement for vocational schools football in both counties, and the teams have to be complimented for a thrilling decider in far from ideal playing conditions.

Tyrone – G. Kelly; C. Hegarty, C. Carson, G. Corey; P. Martin, S. Robinson capt., B. McGarvey; P. Devlin, S. Curran; P. McAleer 2-5, 2 frees, K. Corr, M. Rodgers 0-4; P. McNeice 0-1, K. Coney 0-3, D. Carson.
Subs – J. Donnelly 0-1 for K. Corr; G. Treanor 0-1 for K. Coney.

Cavan – A. O'Meara; S. Cooney, B. Coleman, D. Foxe; C. Quinn, P. Carroll, K. Rooney; E. Keating 0-4, one free, J. McEnroe; B. Tully 0-1, B. Watters 0-1, A. Cole 0-2; F. Tackney, C. Smith 1-2, R. Dunne 0-2.
Subs – C. Sexton for C. Quinn; F. Flanagan for K. Rooney.

Referee – B. Rooney from Armagh.

cavan4ever

mylestheslasher

Wasn't able to go to the U21 match at the weekend. Sounds like it was a total disaster. At the start of the season a lot of us here had mentioned a good performance by the U21's in Ulster being a central part of us having a good season. That has been well and truly blown to pieces. As I understand it nothing much went right for us on the approach to the match with Cullivan playing though injured and Podge playing with the flu. That still doesn't account for such a hammering.

I get this horrible feeling the wheels are loosening a bit on the wagon and i'm just hoping they don't fall off. The seniors have put in two medicore performances in the last two outings. I'd like to see us go up to Belfast and rip into Antrim like it was a championship match - just to get the heads confident again.

As for the wish list for the rest of the seaon - I'll stick with Seniors getting promotion as goal no 1. Beating Down in the championship and maybe Monaghan and having a couple of games in the back door as goal No 2. Dare I say it, could goal number 3 be a decent run in Ulster for our minors??? How do you all rate this years team? Please don't tell me they are the best we've ever produced or i'll cry.

I heard the rumour about gaynor being back. If hes not then that is him done for the season I think. That will be prooven to be a mistake in my opinion.

cavanmaniac

Yep, just about sums it all up at the moment. There is a worrying feeling that the closer we get to the business end of the season and the better prepared our opponents get, the worse the seniors are starting to look. A bit early for doom and gloom though, we're still unbeaten and the Wexford game will tell us all we need to know about progress under Grimley.

Your senior goals are realistic I think, hopefully they get realised. As for the minors, I'm not going to ask or inquire as to their prospects in the hope that ignoring them will somehow coax a convincing season from them for once.

cavan4ever

Quote from: cavanmaniac on March 21, 2007, 07:14:38 PM
A bit early for doom and gloom though, we're still unbeaten and the Wexford game will tell us all we need to know about progress under Grimley.

Id b worried about Antrim first they are capable of giving cavan alot of problems.  Heard that ciarian galligan is starting which id be wary about aswell.

Don't seen the fixture on Aertel  ::)  . it's a 3.30 throw-in in belfast isn't it?

shotstopper1

If we were supposed to have that good an U-21 panel why was it necessary to play Cullivan, at only 18, whilst injured, and risk putting his development back years.This has being a major problem with management down through the years,too many good young footballers with plenty of potential (the most recent being Lyng) ruined by the stupidpidty (or greediness) of their managers.

BallyhaiseMan

C4ever
the game is at 7 or 7.30 Saturday night under floodlights.
i dont know the full team
But i know Gunner is injured
Michael Hannon and Jonathon Crowe are starting.
Lorcan Mulvey replaces Walshe in Midfield
Ray Cullivan and Ciaran Galligan have been brought into attack.

shotstopper
Ray Cullivan was supposed to have damaged his medial ligaments a few weeks ago for DCU Freshers,something which is nomraly a 6 week recovery,Now i know the guy is hard as nails and all,so you could chop a week or two off that,But still id question whether playing him again Monaghan and Antrim this weekend is worth it Long term.

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan ring the changes From Hoganstand
22 March 2007

Cavan manager Donal Keogan has made five changes from the side that edged out Sligo in the last round for Saturday night's floodlit NFL Division 2B clash with Antrim.

There are two changes in defence which see Michael Hannon and Jonathan Crowe replace Paul Brady and Michael Brennan. Lorcan Mulvey comes in for the injured Nicholas Walsh at midfield where he will partner veteran Dermot McCabe.

The remaining changes see Ray Cullivan and Ciaran Galligan named in attack.

Cavan (SF v Antrim): J Reilly; M Cahill, A Forde, K Fannin; M Hannon, E Reilly, J Crowe; D McCabe, L Mulvey; R Cullivan, M McKeever, C Galligan; G Pierson, R Gallagher, J O'Reilly.

cavan4ever

Its county policy to destroy young players before they develop fully.

cavanmaniac

It's one of few policies they have that's implementened consistently and achieves its objectives, don't knock it... ::)

cavan4ever

Anyone goin sat nite??  What time do u reckon it would be when a man would be back in cavan after the game?

BallyhaiseMan

well if game at 7.30
probably late starting so 7.35
Half time allowing for stoppages 8.15
Second half start 8.30
End at 9.10pm
Back in Cavan in id say around 2 hours
so 11 most likely.