Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

I am absolutely delighted at this outcome.
Hopefully a few members of the county board will resign in the wake of this fiasco.

CavanCola

http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaelic-football/carrs-cavan-future-still-in-the-balance-1851448.html

(it might not be over yet.)

TOM Carr's future as Cavan manager still hangs in the balance, despite surviving a vote of 'no-confidence' at a county board meeting last night. In a remarkable turnaround, the motion tabled by Laragh United and seconded by Gowna, was defeated by 30 votes to 23, with a single abstentation and one spoilt vote.

As recently as last week, Carr (pictured) had been asked to step down by members of the county committee but refused to do so and having received the backing of the players, Carr dug his heels in.

However, Carr confirmed to the Evening Herald this morning that he still had reservations about the vote, which included votes in his favour from members of the county board executive, and would wait until the weekend before deciding whether to accept the post again for 2010.

"I'm just meeting the rest of the management team today and we'll have a chat about it," said Carr. "The vote isn't just a matter of 30 to 23. The executive members would have been mandated to vote for me. So it would suggest that the majority of clubs are against it."

"The primary thing here is - can you operate in an environment and can the players operate in an environment if there's unwarranted and unnecessary pressure on them? That's certainly my concern."

mylestheslasher

Very happy that Carr has won this vote and stuck 2 fingers up to some of these dinosaurs on the county board. As BHM said I hope it results in some fresh blood and fresh ideas coming into the organisation. The problem his opposition had was that they had no plan B. Its easy to knock everything but not so easy to come up with alternatives. I hope Carr gives it another year now as if he doesn't it will not reflect well on him either.
Know its time for TC to learn some lessons. He needs to get out and about and watch some games. If he is getting the money that I've heard he needs to earn it and watch some club champ matches. Maybe he needs a selector from the northern side of the county too? He also needs to begin taking no shit from any player and he needs to get his players working harder on the field. That for me was the most disappointing aspect of our performances - no fight.

Drung

Is the secretary more or less untoucable there now that he's full-time?

Carr will stay lads, don't so naieve. He is wringing the last drop of media attention out of it that he can.
Mark my words, he'll stay. Which will be amazing when you consider what Cavan did this year, the fact that the majority of the clubs don't want him and the majority of the officers on the executive clearly don't and looked for him to be removed but have been swayed into toeing the party line.

On another point, the arrogance of the executive never ceases to amaze. Who gave them the right to ask for Carr's resignation? They are up themselves and out of touch with the clubs.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Drung on August 06, 2009, 10:33:24 AM
Is the secretary more or less untoucable there now that he's full-time?

Carr will stay lads, don't so naieve. He is wringing the last drop of media attention out of it that he can.
Mark my words, he'll stay. Which will be amazing when you consider what Cavan did this year, the fact that the majority of the clubs don't want him and the majority of the officers on the executive clearly don't and looked for him to be removed but have been swayed into toeing the party line.

On another point, the arrogance of the executive never ceases to amaze. Who gave them the right to ask for Carr's resignation? They are up themselves and out of touch with the clubs.

Exactly what I said a page or two ago. Who do they think they are acting with no mandate like that. That is where the axe should fall. I hear  that the PRO is on the radio pretty much suggesting that even though Carr won the vote he should leave anyway - does that man not know when to shut his big gob.

Homer

Terrible tragedy up at Gallon Lough yesterday evening, young Simon Delaney a former county minor and under 21 player, drowned while trying to save 3 lads who got into difficulty when their boat capsized. Another Dublin man who tried to assist is also missing while all three occupants of the boat survived. Apparently Simon was on his way to training in Killinkere when he spotted the lads in trouble but got into difficulty himself as he tried to save them.

Thoughts are with the families.

Denn Forever

Puts Tommy Carr into perspective.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Drung

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Homer on August 06, 2009, 11:02:51 AM
Terrible tragedy up at Gallon Lough yesterday evening, young Simon Delaney a former county minor and under 21 player, drowned while trying to save 3 lads who got into difficulty when their boat capsized. Another Dublin man who tried to assist is also missing while all three occupants of the boat survived. Apparently Simon was on his way to training in Killinkere when he spotted the lads in trouble but got into difficulty himself as he tried to save them.

Thoughts are with the families.

Jaysus thats terrible. RIP.

boojangles

Thoughts and Prayers are with the family.Unbelieveable tragedy.Although its no consolation to the family,they should be very proud of Simon who died trying to save lads he didnt even know I believe. RIP.

tierworker blue

There are'nt many who would've been as brave and jumped in to save others...That was a serious act of selflessness.
RIP.

BallyhaiseMan

What a brave lad, RIP  and condolences to his family and teammates.
Cant imagine what they are going through right now.

boojangles

Celt Man your games hardly on this evening?

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on August 06, 2009, 06:12:23 PM
Celt Man your games hardly on this evening?
Sorry boss, was away and didn't see that till now... Obviously not on tonight - was moved to Saturday at 3 in Breffni
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Hangsangwidge

Quote from: RednBlack on August 06, 2009, 01:16:34 PM
What a brave young man. A real hero. Ar dheis dé go raibh a anam
Thanks for that, he's my first cousin. A brave lad and sadly missed.