Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Drung on July 30, 2009, 03:40:47 PM
QuoteWhat often happens in clubs is that a hardcore of buddies form a clique and take the rolles within the club. In fairness to them it is normall cos no one else wants to get involved. Then what happens is that meetings are called with 8/9 people at them and this clique can basically propose, 2nd and pass anything they want. I do know that any of the lads I spoke to in the club (most of them older lads) are not in favour of sacking carr even though they would not be impressed with what they see.

With respect Myles, what you are saying is that only a few bother or want to get involved, the few that do then hold meetings among the few who bother to turn up, and then make decisions based on this.
I wouldn't fault those fellas just because they hold their own opinion. If 'no one else wants to get involved' as you say, then don't criticise the result of the democratic process involviong those who do.

I am just outlining how many clubs make decisions on a week to week basis. I would then ask you to consider some of the more popular votes that were taken at club level over the years. For example opening Croke Park to Soccer/Rugby and allowing RUC to play football. Many clubs (including Killeshandra) actively sent out letters informing members of important votes that would be occuring at the next meeting in order to get a wider democratic decision. I don't think the decision of Killeshandra to speak like that at the meeting reflected what the club members actually wanted.

Drung

QuoteIt has come to Mr. Pain's attention that the county board are not only incompetent but are very stubborn also. A complete reshuffle is needed with a few new names thrown in for a fresher look. Mr. Pain is aware that Cavan have gone back a step, although he did not think it possible after Lt. Frank Drebin's reign. However, the current county board should be held accountable for choosing these managers and paying big bucks.

On another matter, Mr. Pain is not impressed with others making use of his phrases, signatures and associated branding. It has happened before and Mr. Pain let it slide. JohnB Tool, you are new to this board so we will call it a warning.

Finally, while Mr. Pain was in bed last night giving one to Mrs. Pain he came up with a brilliant idea. This board has been full of bad news and negativity lately. Mr. Pain is going to cheer himself up by goin to the fancy dress in Belturbet dressed as Tommy Carr. He has already purchased a bald cap, glasses and oversized wallet. He recommends that ye minions could go dressed up as other former managers. He might have a Val Andrews wig that he could lend to someone.

Rant Over!

Just saw this. Good stuff Mr Pain! ;D

jonb_cúl

Well Lads, just curious what you all think of the cancellation of this years visit of the Australian compremise rules team. Having seen a few games down through the years I have to say that i enjoyed watching this code. I was also hoping (dreaming) that we might be in with a shout of getting one of the games in Breffni Park. I suppose a lad is allowed to dream, we're good at that in this county!!!!!       

:P :P :P :P :P
You can't win derbies with donkeys.
Babs Keating
Before Tipp played Cork in 1990.

jonb_cúl

A quick one for someone out there, but in the past was the August bank holiday weekend not always a free weekend for club players in this county? I know this is the case in other counties, e.g Donegal.
You can't win derbies with donkeys.
Babs Keating
Before Tipp played Cork in 1990.

Celt_Man

Quote from: jonb_cúl on July 30, 2009, 11:58:44 PM
A quick one for someone out there, but in the past was the August bank holiday weekend not always a free weekend for club players in this county? I know this is the case in other counties, e.g Donegal.
Yea the last week in July, first week in August was always kept free because of the builder's holidays though I suppose there are feck all builders working now I guess the County Board didn't feel the need to keep them free
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Swadman

QuoteMr. Pain is going to cheer himself up by going to the fancy dress in Belturbet dressed as Tommy Carr. He has already purchased a bald cap, glasses and oversized wallet. He recommends that ye minions could go dressed up as other former managers.
Took your advice Mr. Pain. Me and 3 mates went to the Belturbet fancy dress as the last 4 Cavan managers. Nobody recognised us. Then it dawned on me - sure they were sacked before anyone got to know what they looked like !!! ;D

Swadman

Myles, Drung has it right, I heard from two different chairmen that the K/shandra delegate backed up the Laragh motion with venom. (He is a long time, good mate of the Kings). The motion was deferred as some of the delegates said they could'nt make a decision before getting a mandate from their respective clubs.
Our club had a committee meeting to discuss the issue and the outcome was'nt favouring T.C. It was a case of "a pox on both your houses". All clubs have probably thrashed it out by now for the big vote on Tuesday night. If I was TC I would be checking the "situations vacant" column in his local rag.
The blame lies in all areas at the moment. Breheny got it spot on IMO.
Quoteyou might think that litany of failure would prompt Cavan to look at their entire approach, structures and targets. Is the county best set up to compete in the new environment or is it living in a time warp where a high self-regard over successes achieved more than 50 years ago blinds them to present-day realities? Some players have been happy to blame successive managers for the failures. It's the ultimate cop-out but then the county board have been no better. Churning managers on a regular basis gives the impression of actually doing something constructive when, in fact, it's a cowardly abdication of responsibility.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Swadman on August 01, 2009, 01:27:37 PM
Myles, Drung has it right, I heard from two different chairmen that the K/shandra delegate backed up the Laragh motion with venom. (He is a long time, good mate of the Kings). The motion was deferred as some of the delegates said they could'nt make a decision before getting a mandate from their respective clubs.
Our club had a committee meeting to discuss the issue and the outcome was'nt favouring T.C. It was a case of "a pox on both your houses". All clubs have probably thrashed it out by now for the big vote on Tuesday night. If I was TC I would be checking the "situations vacant" column in his local rag.
Quoteyou might think that litany of failure would prompt Cavan to look at their entire approach, structures and targets. Is the county best set up to compete in the new environment or is it living in a time warp where a high self-regard over successes achieved more than 50 years ago blinds them to present-day realities? Some players have been happy to blame successive managers for the failures. It's the ultimate cop-out but then the county board have been no better. Churning managers on a regular basis gives the impression of actually doing something constructive when, in fact, it's a cowardly abdication of responsibility.

Was talking to the lads alright and this appears to be true amazingly enough. This same pal of King (and chairman of Killeshandra) is the same guy  that fell out with king over the Kilmore hotel room fiasco. However, all seems to be forgiven and the motive now seems as selfish as getting a buddy into the job. Like I said there are 5/6 lads in a clique in the Killeshandra club that run the show. A couple are very good buddies with King (although I wrongly reported that this relationship was over). Seems as simple and as selfish as that. Shame on them. I find it incredible as Carr gave Declan McKiernan and Thomais O Reilly a place in his panel this year as he reckoned they were lads for the future. But King is more important to be in there than these young lads! Ye have no idea what a mess is until he gets involved, we'll be begging for Carr or even Keoghan back if that happens.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 01, 2009, 02:20:06 PM
Quote from: Swadman on August 01, 2009, 01:27:37 PM

Was talking to the lads alright and this appears to be true amazingly enough. This same pal of King (and chairman of Killeshandra) is the same guy  that fell out with king over the Kilmore hotel room fiasco. However, all seems to be forgiven and the motive now seems as selfish as getting a buddy into the job. Like I said there are 5/6 lads in a clique in the Killeshandra club that run the show. A couple are very good buddies with King (although I wrongly reported that this relationship was over). Seems as simple and as selfish as that. Shame on them. I find it incredible as Carr gave Declan McKiernan and Thomais O Reilly a place in his panel this year as he reckoned they were lads for the future. But King is more important to be in there than these young lads! Ye have no idea what a mess is until he gets involved, we'll be begging for Carr or even Keoghan back if that happens.
I don't mean to doubt you Myles but this bit seems extreme. I know of Kings tricks but do you have genuine reasons to believe that your club would vote Carr out just to get their man in with a chance of the job? Just when you think things can't get any worse............

mylestheslasher

There is no other logical explanation as far as I can see. Can you see any other reason?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Well I don't know the individual(s) concerned so I wouldn't have a clue.

Celt_Man

Belturbet beat Drumbride 1 - 16 to 1 - 14 this evening in Ballyhaise... Heard West Cavan Gaels pulled out of their final game with Redhills...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Celt_Man on August 01, 2009, 09:04:12 PM
Belturbet beat Drumbride 1 - 16 to 1 - 14 this evening in Ballyhaise... Heard West Cavan Gaels pulled out of their final game with Redhills...
Couldn't field a team?  ;D

the salmon of knowledge

Belturbet going well, who is over them?
could they be dark horses??

cavan4sam

We played Belturbet 2 weeks ago and I wouldn't rate them at all, Thay may have had an off day but i think I can safely say that they wont be winning the senior championship this year.