Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Drung on July 29, 2009, 10:39:31 PM
Many seem to be rallying around Carr, but we need to be careful not to venerate him too much. Carr has a dire record as a manager and he has actually managed to disimprove Cavan.
He didn't do it for the good of his health eitheer -  I heard from a good source that he got the final 15k of the 45k he was owed last week, in cash.
My opinuion on the whole sorry farce is as follows:
Shame on the Cavan players for their lack of passion. Shame on Tommy Carr for taking OUR money not doing his job properly and shame on the county board for appointing him in the first place and now taking the quick fix.

I am hoping like BHM that the net effect of this is that the county board will get a big kick in the balls as a backlash to the handling of this. As for carr, although I am not happy with his performance I still don't see anyone else out there that would take the job that would do a better job. I think the message we would send to the wider GAA if we sack Carr is very negative and would blacken our names so much that no one would ever want to manage us.

put-it-up

Quote from: Drung on July 29, 2009, 10:39:31 PM
Many seem to be rallying around Carr, but we need to be careful not to venerate him too much. Carr has a dire record as a manager and he has actually managed to disimprove Cavan.
He didn't do it for the good of his health either -  I heard from a good source that he got the final 15k of the 45k he was owed last week, in cash.
My opinuion on the whole sorry farce is as follows:
Shame on the Cavan players for their lack of passion. Shame on Tommy Carr for taking OUR money not doing his job properly and shame on the county board for appointing him in the first place and now taking the quick fix.

I agree we were dire last year, but the man needs to be given another year. \Give him and the team a chance to redeem themselves....I heard his pay-packet was around that mark. Thats the only thing that makes me think he will be voted out...because he is costing an awful lot you know?!

Big changes need to happen both on anf off the field

Drung

I predict he will stay in on a roughly 65-35 split.
Had the vote been taken the other nigth, he was gone. However, once the delegates seek advice from their county players they will vote to keep him, with only a few such as Gowna, Killeshandra, Laragh and Cavan Gaels said to be opposed.

put-it-up

Quote from: Drung on July 29, 2009, 11:01:42 PM
Had the vote been taken the other nigth, he was gone. However, once the delegates seek advice from their county players they will vote to keep him, with only a few such as Gowna, Killeshandra, Laragh and Cavan Gaels said to be opposed.

Funny the Gaels are opposed, when Jelly is all over the papers giving his support. An official from that club has other interests.

I would imagine a right few clubs will support him. CuCu's, Kingscourt, Castlerahan... I dunno, I think the clubs that have no county players will have a big say. Whatever way their votes go will be crucial.

I dunno what the story is with my own club, the comitee are split from what I gather

mylestheslasher

I'd be surprised if Killeshandra are opposed. He has 2 leaguers on his panel for 1st time in a long time. It is certainly not to get King in as they wouldn't even put his name forward last time the managers job was up for grabs - some other club did that.

put-it-up

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 29, 2009, 11:19:21 PM

I'd be surprised if Killeshandra are opposed. He has 2 leaguers on his panel for 1st time in a long time. It is certainly not to get King in as they wouldn't even put his name forward last time the managers job was up for grabs - some other club did that.

Why are Laragh so opposed does anyone know? Celt said they proposed the no-confidence vote

tierworker blue

Quote from: put-it-up on July 29, 2009, 06:18:17 PM
Quote from: tierworker blue on July 29, 2009, 05:50:48 PM
Just read the Indo article...spot on in my opinion. He tapped into a lot of the things we've been harping on about for ages.
No word from the Shamrocks yet put it up...I'll put the feelers out.

Yeah the article hit a few things on the head and is a concise opinion from a neutral.

I presume you are from up around the Royal Brenni TB? Not too many would adopt the name tierworker from outside the area! Are the Shamrocks your home club

Yep, Shamrocks is my home club now. I actually played my underage football with a Meath club due to where I went to national school (Tis'nt easy being the only young lad at training wearing a Cavan jersey...the tackles came in extra hard methinks!)
As you know yourself, the border snakes in and out around my neck of the woods like nobody's business and a few hundred yards this way or that can make a big difference! Then I spent a few clubless years when I was'nt around home much. Being a lifelong Breffni Blues supporter, it made sense to join the Shamrocks eventually.
There are always plenty of stories like that when you're dealing with split parishes.

put-it-up

Quote from: tierworker blue on July 30, 2009, 12:14:16 AM
Just read the Indo article...spot on in my opinion. He tapped into a lot of the things we've been harping on about for ages.

Yeah the article hit a few things on the head and is a concise opinion from a neutral.

I presume you are from up around the Royal Brenni TB? Not too many would adopt the name tierworker from outside the area! Are the Shamrocks your home club

Yep, Shamrocks is my home club now. I actually played my underage football with a Meath club due to where I went to national school (Tis'nt easy being the only young lad at training wearing a Cavan jersey...the tackles came in extra hard methinks!)
As you know yourself, the border snakes in and out around my neck of the woods like nobody's business and a few hundred yards this way or that can make a big difference! Then I spent a few clubless years when I was'nt around home much. Being a lifelong Breffni Blues supporter, it made sense to join the Shamrocks eventually.
There are always plenty of stories like that when you're dealing with split parishes.

Do you still play a bit of ball or just folly results?

tierworker blue

Quote from: put-it-up on July 30, 2009, 12:22:27 AM
Quote from: tierworker blue on July 30, 2009, 12:14:16 AM

Do you still play a bit of ball or just folly results?

I hav'nt played ball for a while to be honest, although I plan on giving it one last lash soon, before I seize up for good! Work has gotten in the way of a lot of things lately...hard to commit to training etc. I'd usually go to a few games when I'm home and follow the results through the lads who play when I'm not about. The next step for me with the Shamrocks is actually a bit of small ball work...the East Cavan hurling revival has begun!
What about yourself?

Drung

QuoteI'd be surprised if Killeshandra are opposed. He has 2 leaguers on his panel for 1st time in a long time. It is certainly not to get King in as they wouldn't even put his name forward last time the managers job was up for grabs - some other club did that.

You are badly out of touch with your own club Myles. The Killeshandra delegate was the first to speak and was by far the hardest hitting on the night, calling Carr 'diabolical' and the worst-qualified candidate that ran for the job. A couple of others spoke against Carr after this but nobody was as ferocious as the Leaguers chairman. So I've been told, didn't make the meeting although my own clubman spoke fairly strongly in favour of keeping Carr, having consulted wit county players.

Denn Forever

If Carr is gotten rid off, I don't think Donal would even think of going back.  How bad is that?

A prophet in his own land is not listened to.  I say prophet in the sense of telling the truth.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Drung on July 30, 2009, 12:11:59 PM
QuoteI'd be surprised if Killeshandra are opposed. He has 2 leaguers on his panel for 1st time in a long time. It is certainly not to get King in as they wouldn't even put his name forward last time the managers job was up for grabs - some other club did that.

You are badly out of touch with your own club Myles. The Killeshandra delegate was the first to speak and was by far the hardest hitting on the night, calling Carr 'diabolical' and the worst-qualified candidate that ran for the job. A couple of others spoke against Carr after this but nobody was as ferocious as the Leaguers chairman. So I've been told, didn't make the meeting although my own clubman spoke fairly strongly in favour of keeping Carr, having consulted wit county players.

I forgot that things have changed in there and the new chairman in leaguer land would not be my favourite person in the world. He wouldn't exactly be the brightest lad either. In fact he trained the leaguers on two occassions and overseen probably 2 of the worst seasons we ever heard. So I am not surprised that he made a ferocious attack. You might argue he was not a good choice but how you say that he was the lesser of all candidates is crazy. I can also tell you that that lad was not even in Wicklow to watch the game - i know this for a fact.

What often happens in clubs is that a hardcore of buddies form a clique and take the rolles within the club. In fairness to them it is normall cos no one else wants to get involved. Then what happens is that meetings are called with 8/9 people at them and this clique can basically propose, 2nd and pass anything they want. I do know that any of the lads I spoke to in the club (most of them older lads) are not in favour of sacking carr even though they would not be impressed with what they see.

boojangles

Its only when the shit really hits the fan like whats happening in Cavan at the moment that everything is really started to be questioned. People are looking at the amount of players Cavan have that are playing Colleges football and not training with Cavan until March or so and how it must be having a negative influence on the set-up. I know of one up and coming player on the Cavan squad who was asked how many times he had trained with his college and he said 3 TIMES.This wasnt 3 times a week as the County Management had presumed but 3 Times all year. ::) ::)

LandErIn

The Cavan schools scene must be the thing that needs improved the most.  Most counties going well have a healthy school structure in place.

Drung

QuoteWhat often happens in clubs is that a hardcore of buddies form a clique and take the rolles within the club. In fairness to them it is normall cos no one else wants to get involved. Then what happens is that meetings are called with 8/9 people at them and this clique can basically propose, 2nd and pass anything they want. I do know that any of the lads I spoke to in the club (most of them older lads) are not in favour of sacking carr even though they would not be impressed with what they see.

With respect Myles, what you are saying is that only a few bother or want to get involved, the few that do then hold meetings among the few who bother to turn up, and then make decisions based on this.
I wouldn't fault those fellas just because they hold their own opinion. If 'no one else wants to get involved' as you say, then don't criticise the result of the democratic process involviong those who do.