Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

I heard this story from the lads in Killeshandra months ago but I think now is an important time to share it. Last year the leaguers had their dinner dance in the Kilmore. A good night was had by all. After the party was over members of the club found out that the club had been given one or two free rooms by the hotel for the night. Funny enough nobody on the board of Killeshandra heard about these rooms. A little digging uncovered what had happened. Apparently the hotel had contacted one of the management team about the rooms. Instead of this man informing the club so that they might decide what they would do with the rooms (raffle them, give them to a club president etc) this guy instead decided to take the rooms for his own and put up his own family and friends in them. Clearly this did not go down well, friendships were broken as a result within the management team. It was probably a factor in the management team not taking the team this year.

Moving on, If Carr does leave I hope the county board do not put a guy like the one mentioned above in charge of the future of Cavan football cos then we are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Celt_Man

Drung beat Drumgoon by a point in Breffni this evening - could have won by more. 9 points to 8. drumgoon forward hit the crossbar with an open goal and no one to beat with 20 seconds left
Castlerahan beat Gowna 1 - 14 to 10 points as well
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Castlerahan are evidently moving well against albeit an understrength Gowna team.

Didnt expect the drung/drumgoon result.
Then again we and i especially should know you count out Drung at your peril.

Just wanted to pick up on this point of Anglo Celts
Quote from: anglocelt39 on July 24, 2009, 07:14:41 PM

Turn the clock back a short while to 2004. We had a top class management team-Coleman (RIP) and McIlkennon. We were beating Down, We were putting it right up to Tyrone, Derry, Armagh. We had lads that could defend and put themselves about a bit-Rabbitte, Crowe, Crotty. We had options at midfield-McCabe, Mckenna, Paddy Brady (?!); Eamon had Ger Pierson and Mckeever on fire. he plucked Lyng and Gaynor from a minor team and had them looking like part of a serious future for Cavan football. We pushed Down massively in an Under 21 final which could have been won.

That team AC had in question while it didnt anything was at least a 12 point better team than the one we have now.
It was noticeable The amount of Gaels men on the panel

Eoin Eliiot
Darren Rabbitte
Karl Crotty
Eamon Reily
Cathal Collins
Anthony Forde
Sean Johnston
Nicholas Walsh

8 Gaels lads.
The Question i have for the Cavan posters on here is?
Are there too few players from (by far we have to say) the best club team in the county on this current County Panel??

put-it-up

Any other late night posters out there?

The biggest question I have to ask is Why the hell RednBlack was listening to Northern Sound in the first place!!!

What went on?

That story about King is shocking and its nothing to do with that but by no means would he get my vote for the job. I really do think TC should get another year.

But while he was the manager, I would let one of the home-grown men mentioned being linked with the top-job manage the u21''s and see how they got on with that first.

The CB situation is bollix. No follower of Cavan football ever knows what there up too and I really dont think they have a clue.

With regards to the Gaels, I know in theory it would make sense to have more of them on the panel, but I'm not too sure. Rabbite, Chesty and Collins are not interested for different reasons,mainly work which is fair enough, and after them there are not too many outstanding candidates you know?Forde is retired and Elliot had his chance years ago....

Lawrence of Knockbride

I'm online but it's all too depressing to say too much. King would be worth the entry fee if you were from Monaghan or Meath for some serious slapstick.
Gaels have a winning mentality but who would we have in there. Enda King isn't up to it IMO and has been tried and the rest are mentioned above. Rabbitte of a few years back is the stand out ommission but I haven't seen him play since he returned.
I can hardly bring myself to watch the club games this weekend.

put-it-up

It just feels like endless doom doesn't it...

They are some crowd in Northern Sound..none of them earn their wages! I presume they did not name the footballers?

I know we were crap this year, at least I can be honest, but the names mentioned to replace him so far would not be good enough to manage the Gaels,,,,now what does that say?

I would nearly try get my own club to say Carr should stay but a homegrown manager should be given the sole responsibility of the U21 and maybe the same management team could be over the Junior Panel, with an emphasis on bringing young lads through and trying out new players in their mid-twenties.

That lets Carr focus fully on his job, however I do think his backroom team should have a bit more geographical spread.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on July 25, 2009, 12:52:21 AM
I'm online but it's all too depressing to say too much. King would be worth the entry fee if you were from Monaghan or Meath for some serious slapstick.
Gaels have a winning mentality but who would we have in there. Enda King isn't up to it IMO and has been tried and the rest are mentioned above. Rabbitte of a few years back is the stand out ommission but I haven't seen him play since he returned.
You and a lot more beside ya... there could have been more than 150 at the Drung drumgoon game... which is terrible when there was only one other game on... honestly there was more at the Cootehill Drumgoon junior game a couple of weeks.  Personally without being called a typical cavan man, a tenner is too much... grand for a once off but if you went to a game thursday, friday, took it two on Saturday and even 3 on Sunday - not everyone would want to see that much football but lots would - that would probably cost around 60 - 65 euro which is far too much.  Interest in football in Cavan is at a low web and a flat fee of a fiver into all games might encourage those half thinking about it to chance the fiver and go and watch a game.  A 30 euro once off ticket (for all club championship games that wkend wouldn't be a bad idea either I know I would do it)

put-it-up

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 25, 2009, 01:08:59 AM
You and a lot more beside ya... there could have been more than 150 at the Drung drumgoon game... which is terrible when there was only one other game on... honestly there was more at the Cootehill Drumgoon junior game a couple of weeks.  Personally without being called a typical cavan man, a tenner is too much... grand for a once off but if you went to a game thursday, friday, took it two on Saturday and even 3 on Sunday - not everyone would want to see that much football but lots would - that would probably cost around 60 - 65 euro which is far too much.  Interest in football in Cavan is at a low web and a flat fee of a fiver into all games might encourage those half thinking about it to chance the fiver and go and watch a game.  A 30 euro once off ticket (for all club championship games that wkend wouldn't be a bad idea either I know I would do it)

Not a bad idea Celt man, but what gobshite would go to all those games  ;D

A tenor is far too much in my opinion. If mammy and daddy want to go watch there son play, thats 20. If the dad wants to go to any others games and drive to them expenses soon rack up,,,,they should be encouraging people to come....not scaring them off.

That county board could do with an overhaul. With the recession there are a lot of good unemployed people out there, who might be willing to get involved. It needs freshness and new ideas. I could list off about 20 things that could be done to help Cavan football, but sure why ask people for ideas when you can just be lazy and do it the old-fashioned way.

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on July 25, 2009, 01:15:39 AM

A tenor is far too much in my opinion. If mammy and daddy want to go watch there son play, thats 20. If the dad wants to go to any others games and drive to them expenses soon rack up,,,,they should be encouraging people to come....not scaring them off.

That county board could do with an overhaul. With the recession there are a lot of good unemployed people out there, who might be willing to get involved. It needs freshness and new ideas. I could list off about 20 things that could be done to help Cavan football, but sure why ask people for ideas when you can just be lazy and do it the old-fashioned way.

Big time if any parents and two older brothers/sisters wanted to go see a two games that's 80 - some chance!!
The problem is most people don't want the bloody job because the total negativity which surrounds the county board - that's the reason pricks like out minor chairman get the job - no one else wants it.
and in case anyone is thinking it, not hiding behind my username calling him that - still mad enough that I'm not sure what I'd do if I meet him at a game over the weekend >:( >:(

put-it-up

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 25, 2009, 01:32:06 AM

Big time if any parents and two older brothers/sisters wanted to go see a two games that's 80 - some chance!!
The problem is most people don't want the bloody job because the total negativity which surrounds the county board - that's the reason pricks like out minor chairman get the job - no one else wants it.
and in case anyone is thinking it, not hiding behind my username calling him that - still mad enough that I'm not sure what I'd do if I meet him at a game over the weekend >:( >:(

Carry a blow up baseball bat. That way if you meet him you can let out all your anger and not get arrested for it ;D That is what I used to do with the little brother  ;D
I really do think it is a disgrace charging in a tenor a head to group games..Fair enough if it was the knock-out stages in Breffni you know.

I know it is hard but a whole new mentality needs to be got in there. Imagine if you could get a group between 20 and 40 years of age to liven it up. They should not be thinking what can I get out if being on the county board, rather what could I be doing to help Cavan football.

I would love to sit with those people in a room and say listen, what they f*ck are you people doing!

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on July 25, 2009, 01:44:14 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on July 25, 2009, 01:32:06 AM

Carry a blow up baseball bat. That way if you meet him you can let out all your anger and not get arrested for it ;D That is what I used to do with the little brother  ;D
I really do think it is a disgrace charging in a tenor a head to group games..Fair enough if it was the knock-out stages in Breffni you know.

I know it is hard but a whole new mentality needs to be got in there. Imagine if you could get a group between 20 and 40 years of age to liven it up. They should not be thinking what can I get out if being on the county board, rather what could I be doing to help Cavan football.

I would love to sit with those people in a room and say listen, what they f*ck are you people doing!

I get them in a room - there'll be no talking done... Honest to jaysus when the Under 16 players themselves hear the draw, they'll be liable to do anything

put-it-up

they really don't give a shit, oh we have power and don't care about you...but the thing is who exactly are these people. They are like some secret group that people know of but are not sure who are member and what exactly are they doing...Are they good or evil? And what is the point of a master fixtures if it is not stuck too..like for f**k sake

you have an idea there Celt Man, perhaps the U16's could kick a bit of sense into them  ;D

put-it-up

Just saw a story in the story about 3 lads being at Oxegen before the Cavan game..

Just when I thought our reputation could not get anymore embarrasing

mylestheslasher

Quote from: put-it-up on July 25, 2009, 12:45:55 PM
Just saw a story in the story about 3 lads being at Oxegen before the Cavan game..

Just when I thought our reputation could not get anymore embarrasing

Where did you see this? Is there a link available?

Drung

QuoteJust saw a story in the story about 3 lads being at Oxegen before the Cavan game..

My best guess at what you're trying to say is: Just saw a story in the story newspaper about 3 lads being at Oxegen before the Cavan Wicklow game?
Is it true Carr is for the boot? Quick fix.