Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 14, 2009, 08:34:21 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 14, 2009, 08:31:26 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on July 14, 2009, 08:27:11 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 14, 2009, 08:12:19 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on July 14, 2009, 06:01:54 PM
Miller says he has retired.... again

Did he retire before the Wicklow game or after?

Best of luck to him, I'm sure he will find somewhere else nice and comfy to go to sleep.

I think he was at fault for two championship goals so if he had any character he'd want to work hard and put that right. I hear that he didn't want to do the training he was asked to either and this bears out in the fact that he has not shown any improvement in his game. Best rid of lads like him if you ask me as I for one are sick of some of these boys bullshit.

Still gave good service though, and saved cavan from many a hammering.
I'd have to agree with C4E Myles. A lot of rumours flying around. Miller is very sleepy and there have been rumours of his unwillingness to train over the last few years. But let's not slag lads off at this stage. People make rash decisions and say stupid things, especially in Cavan. Let's just let the dust settle-we have several months after all.
Any word of the fixture plan for the championship weekend til I unearth some stars?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on July 14, 2009, 08:45:21 PM

Best of luck to him, I'm sure he will find somewhere else nice and comfy to go to sleep.

I think he was at fault for two championship goals so if he had any character he'd want to work hard and put that right. I hear that he didn't want to do the training he was asked to either and this bears out in the fact that he has not shown any improvement in his game. Best rid of lads like him if you ask me as I for one are sick of some of these boys bullshit.

I'd have to agree with C4E Myles. A lot of rumours flying around. Miller is very sleepy and there have been rumours of his unwillingness to train over the last few years. But let's not slag lads off at this stage. People make rash decisions and say stupid things, especially in Cavan. Let's just let the dust settle-we have several months after all.
Any word of the fixture plan for the championship weekend til I unearth some stars?

Sorry but I'm not tippy toeing around these f**king superstars anymore. f**k them. They disgrace a county with a proud tradition. They could all do with a history lesson on Cavan GAA just so they can understand how low they are dragging it. I'm not expecting All Irelands or even Ulsters, but I expect the county players to behave to high standards and to put 100% into it. And don't give me the shite about sacrifices they make. They get lots back in return. Some got jobs, all get fame, the health, the tracksuit and bag and the struting around Cavan like f**king peacocks. They have to live up to their side of the deal too. Whinging to papers and quiting, going to f**king Oxygen. I am for an absolute zero tolerance on these boys and I don't care own f**k what they did last year or last week for that matter.

Lawrence of Knockbride

f**k who Myles? Who are you giving out about? My point is that these are merely rumours for the minute. At least wait until some or all of them are substantiated. We've had one post about Oxegen and one about Miller quiting, without even a hint of an explanation or back-up to either story, and you have them in the dock before we even know who they are.
Relax.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 14, 2009, 08:52:48 PM

Sorry but I'm not tippy toeing around these f**king superstars anymore. f**k them. They disgrace a county with a proud tradition. They could all do with a history lesson on Cavan GAA just so they can understand how low they are dragging it. I'm not expecting All Irelands or even Ulsters, but I expect the county players to behave to high standards and to put 100% into it. And don't give me the shite about sacrifices they make. They get lots back in return. Some got jobs, all get fame, the health, the tracksuit and bag and the struting around Cavan like f**king peacocks. They have to live up to their side of the deal too. Whinging to papers and quiting, going to f**king Oxygen. I am for an absolute zero tolerance on these boys and I don't care own f**k what they did last year or last week for that matter.

Are they not allowed quit now? , and james doesnt strut about he isnt like that.  

big balla

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 14, 2009, 09:00:26 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 14, 2009, 08:52:48 PM

Are they not allowed quit now? , and james doesnt strut about he isnt like that.  
they are well entitled to quit C4E, but quitting every year just so they'l be begged to come  back is no good to anyone. And if reports are true, James isn't exactly the most dedicated when he does decide to grace us with his presence

anglocelt39

I think the Oxegen thing started off as an (I hope) tongue in cheek/throw away line a page or two ago and it might have grown some legs, or at least I hope so. Christ if it seriously came to lads who togged out on Saturday making the trip down from a Rock Festival one of the following needs to happen:

1. Carr needs to come out with a statement that these lads would not be playing much further part in the panel; or else

2. He needs to come out with a statement about his own position.

I'm willing to believe it's a bit of poetic licence at this stage- like Paddy Bradley and Martin Cahill quitting their county panels last week
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavan4ever

Quote from: RednBlack on July 14, 2009, 09:23:04 PM
Quote from: boojangles on July 14, 2009, 07:48:56 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 14, 2009, 07:25:40 PM
*Players going to a championship game from Oxygen

Shotstopper,what was the story here?
Only know of one for sure who definitely went on Friday - Rory Dunne

As if he isnt slow enough.

anglocelt39

Myles, no doubt about it you are hacked off and are entitled to be after your episode on Saturday. However I think you might need to pause for thought just for a moment. One area where the rewards of being an inter county player are disappearing a bit is on the job prospect front. Sure a few years ago it was a passport to a job in the bank sales repping or whatever if that was your line. The outfit I work for sponsor more than one inter county team. I've seen lads fall down on job interviews because it was clear they had big GAA committments and it was felt could not commit to the job. I've seen lads get jobs and lose them because of GAA committments. This will only get worse.

If we look outsider our own county I'd be worried about some of the developments this year. The likes of Laois, Roscommon, Westmeath getting absolutely tanked in the championship, all counties with some bit of past underage success. I fear it is going to get to the stage where there will be no more than 4 or 5 counties competing seroiusly with the rest having trouble getting 30 lads to commit to 6 months of hard slog with no real prospect of success at the highest level. Reading this it seems like we have trouble getting 30 to commit, we might not be alone on that one.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

ExiledGael

We've been through something like this in the past (mid eighties) and not too long after that we had the breakthrough success of a number of sides (Down, Donegal, Derry) so I don't think we're in the kind of trouble hurling is.

boojangles

Im flabbergasted to say the least. :o :o The management had to have known this.He obviously didnt travel down with the team. What is happening? I just dunno what to think anymore. The Cavan jersey obviously means f**k all to some anymore.
A club mate of mine walked away from the County set up in January.I thought he may have jumped the gun a bit. Obviously not.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 14, 2009, 09:36:14 PM

As if he isnt slow enough.

Rory Dunne has put in some great service to Cavan and doesn't deserve to be sneered at?

Angle Celt - No one is forced to play for Cavan. They should all know whats expected and if they don't want to do it then they should not go in. I am quite relaxed and I don't regret one letter in my post. The time for understanding and tolerance have gone and in hindsight it was gone 5 years ago. Enough is enough.

Lawrence - you know full well who the lads are swaning around Cavan on the beer after matches in their team jackets. I'd wouldn't give them one bit of gear to bring home with them until such a time as they've earned it. There are no doubt some genuine lads and I of course excuse them from my rant but clearly we still have an issue with this and I understood TC was going to deal with it - obviously he has not.

put-it-up

Quote from: Onlooker on July 14, 2009, 06:25:15 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on July 14, 2009, 10:49:36 AM
certainly not the bit about telling Carr to f**k off!

I only read it in the shop, just says he doesnt think Carr will be here next year and not much has changed in the last year.
Brilliant stuff put it up.  Post of the week.  I am still laughing at it.  Well done.
Jaysus lads there is great banter in this lately!

I'm glad im not the only one that just scimped over it in the shop, even if i do sound like a cheap skate. Havin bought the post in at least a year..I gave up on it. I heard about the Drumalee Lavey report, it took the biscuit.

i am sorry but there is no way I believe Rory went to the game from oxegen. The management defo would have known about it or if not surely some of the players would have heard and should have flagged it up. If that really happened that is a new low, but I don't believe it. He knew beforehand he was starting surely any who half-cared would not do that.

With regards to miller, he does this every year. I'm sorry but i think we need to start looking at proper alternatives and find genuine competition for that place so he cant just do what he wants and waltz back in when the games start. Remember Keogan said something about many of them want the perks of being an intercounty player but dont want to put in the effort. Well he sounds like a chief culprit. Good keeper though ;D

Ah I just dont know what to think anymore. TC talks a good game but were not seeing it on the pitch, and I thought he was in there to put discipline on the panel. Then you have Jayo saying he is too easy-going. And by the way, if any of us were Jayo been asked to come on with a minute to go and 8 points downs. I'd say most of you would have said the same thing! ;D

put-it-up

And I jsut though Rory could have went up on Friday with just a day pass and been home in his bed by 12.That is not that bad if that was the case. I imagine he would not have drank and left all his friend to drive him, So ease off until it becomes clear what went on.

innocent until proven guilty. We are all pissed off and frustrated but slating people wont solve anything. I think a lot of question will be raised about the teams performance this year, but TC will have to come up with the answers. He had a year to get to know players personalities and attitudes. He should know by now who he likes and who he doesnt. Judge him after another year>

shotstopper1

From Cavan Post website
http://www.cavanpost.ie/2009/07/14/oreilly-predicts-carrs-departure/

CAVAN manager Tommy Carr's reign hangs in the balance  the team's disastrous exit to unfashionable Wicklow in the All-Ireland Qualifier on Saturday led a senior player cast doubt on his future.

After a turbulent tenure which has seen Cavan languishing in D3 of the National League, and fall to footballing minnows Antrim and Wicklow in the Championship, Breffni marksman Jason O'Reilly has predicted Carr's resignation after less than a year. However the Cavan manager revealed to the Post that he wishes to stay in the hot-seat despite such a senior figure speaking out.

Thirteen-year veteran O'Reilly was less than optimistic of Carr's chances of staying on as manager after the weekend's poor 1-12 to 0-08 defeat at the hands of the Garden County. According to Jayo, one of the two surviving panel members of the triumphant Cavan '97 side, there were a deep-rooted problems in the team when previous manager Donal Keogan left and very little has changed under Carr's tenure.

"There are a number of lads in the set-up who just do what they need to do to keep hold of the shirt," said Jason. "They don't feel like they need to do more than the bare minimum to keep the shirt. I think a lot of the players were a little bit afraid of Donal and then Tommy came in and things were more easy going. It was more of the same. Something needs to change. You can't be losing the games we lost against teams like Antrim and Wicklow."

When asked if he thought Carr would be in charge of Cavan for the next campaign, Jason said "I don't think so".

The Rory O'Moore's forward says he was left feeling very disappointed by Carr's decision not to play him more regularly this year despite making a committment to senior players when he was appointed.

"In my 13 years with Cavan I've missed five training sessions," said Jason. "There are not a lot of players who can say that. To get the amount of playing time I got after being promised more was a huge disappointment."

While Tommy Carr refused to comment on individual players, he did say that there were a good 10 players in the squad who probably felt they had a right to more time on the pitch. He said he could understand the disappointment within the panel but also noted that Cavan's team was no great shakes when he took charge.

"Cavan football has been in free fall for the last few years," he said. "This year saw a bigger ratio of wins for the side than last year. I don't know if we even won a game in the league last year. There was never going to be an immediate turn around. We played three games in the Championship this year. We said we would be happy to play four, so we weren't that far off. A lot of work needs to be done and I would like to be here to do it."
Regardless of the manager's desire to stay on, the stinging criticism from such a senior figure as O'Reilly - who claims "a good few" county players feel the same way as himself - could lead to a wider loss in confidence. Tommy admits that he still has to consider his options.

"I haven't even spoken to my management team yet. We will meet up and reflect on how things went and look at where we are and then decide from there," said Tommy.

I think someone should have informed TC that last year we played Div 2 football against better opposition and beat Cork, and lost to Armagh (Div 2) & Kildare (div 1)in the Championship.

tierworker blue

Bejaysus...Things are lively here, eh?! I hav'nt been online since my beautiful evening in Aughrim...A few days off from thinking about Cavan football was required for sanity's sake!
Like most, I also think TC should be left where he is...chopping and changing management is not a solution and in my humble opinion we'd be cutting off our nose to spite our face. I liked the fact that he threw a few lads off the panel for being uncommitted etc and I believe that's the right approach to have from the get go, but I'll have to say now that I'm becoming increasingly unhappy at how he lines out the team and how slow he seems to make vital changes. Still, I think he deserves another year before I start calling for his goolies!
I firmly believe that a sports psychologist should be a permanent fixture on the backroom team, because if we are ever going to drag ourselves out of the doldrums and compete at a decent level again, there is going to have to be serious work on the mindset of the players. Now, I know this is a personal bugbear of mine, and feel free to tell me to shut up for dragging up the same stuff over and over (my sports psychology rant normally gets an airing every few months!) but unless you believe you can win, you'll find it difficult to go out and get results. I go to most games, and the manner in which the lads go about their business sometimes just screams defeatism...you just know by the way they are  carrying themselves that they are beaten men...even in games that are totally winable. I honestly can't get over how unmotivated they seem at times...absolutely no fire in the bellies whatsoever.
The weight of constant loosing is weighing us down and it will take a total mental attitude change before we can begin to turn this around. Some dismiss it as mumbo jumbo, but I think it's a vital ingredient.
I agree with all the other posts and ideas in relation to finding new players who should be given a shot, the divisional games (i'm a big fan of this idea...if run properly of course! The better players playing the better players more often...how could it be a bad thing?!) and I'm totally in favour of ditching wasters no matter how talented. Generally speaking, I think we're all basically on the same page, but that's just my 2 cents in relation to the motivational side of things.
A great manager will be part disciplinarian, part psychologist, part motivator, part trainer, part sideline genius etc etc (that list could go on...) and being realistic, it's hard to find all that in one person. Because we have gone so far down the food chain, it will possibly take someone who posesses all of these traits to help drag us up, and managers like this are'nt around every corner. If the manager himself does'nt have all the ingredients, he should be surrounded by people who bring the skills he is lacking in to the table.
TC does'nt have all the right stuff, so I'd be leaning towards putting together a stronger management team to help strengthen things. Sure, let the man work to his strengths, but that should'nt mean that the things he is weak in get left by the wayside...every aspect of preparing a winning team is as vital as the next. I have banged on a bit, but I'm sure ye'll get where I'm coming from!