Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Good to see some of you lads in the know lift the gloom a bit by naming lists of lads worth a go at county. I've been living out of the county for a good few years now and am pretty much out of touch with the club scene. One thing that stood out against Wicklow and Antrim is the lack of pace and power in the team. Are any of the lads named above big, fast and powerful cos I reckon we need about 5 like that.

mylestheslasher

If Carr was to go what about Paul Caffrey and maybe Bernard Morris to take over? Would they be mad enough to take it over?

boojangles

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 13, 2009, 09:39:20 PM
If Carr was to go what about Paul Caffrey and maybe Bernard Morris to take over? Would they be mad enough to take it over?

I know Bernard Morris is still learning but from what I came across him playing against teams he was over,he was naive along the line.I remember being shocked at some of the moves he made and didnt make when we played Ballinagh in the Intermediate final a few years back.I know he went on the next year and won Ulster so he has improved but I just would have my doubts about his suitabillity. I played under his fellow club man Ciaran Brady for a bit and IMO I feel he mite have more to offer.
Pillar Caffrey wont come near Cavan anyway.
I think talk of management is pointless really because unless TC walks the County Board wont sack him.Unless something like the farce that happened when Val Andrews left happens again.

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up on July 13, 2009, 11:38:50 PM
Quote from: boojangles on July 13, 2009, 11:17:58 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 13, 2009, 09:39:20 PM

I know Bernard Morris is still learning but from what I came across him playing against teams he was over,he was naive along the line.I remember being shocked at some of the moves he made and didnt make when we played Ballinagh in the Intermediate final a few years back.I know he went on the next year and won Ulster so he has improved but I just would have my doubts about his suitabillity. I played under his fellow club man Ciaran Brady for a bit and IMO I feel he mite have more to offer.
Pillar Caffrey wont come near Cavan anyway.
I think talk of management is pointless really because unless TC walks the County Board wont sack him.Unless something like the farce that happened when Val Andrews left happens again.

More importantly I overheard a conversation in Cavan this evening while I was waiting for my grub. I hope it was just gossip but I heard the terms 'vote of no confidence' 'County Board' and 'Tommy Carr'in and around the same few sentences. Didn't recognise the man and I hope he is a nobody and just talking shite with his friend. 

Too many people who drive the major decisions in the county board wouldn't know a football if it hit them in the face anyway.

I wouldnt put anything past some of the dimwits in this county.There is still alot of the older generation in Cavan who havent moved with the times and still feel we should be competing for Ulster every year.Cant see the Big picture. Like when you think about what happened to Andrews in 2001-We run Tyrone to 3 points in an Ulster final that we really should have won. Yet some delegate (from out Homers neck of the woods-correct me if Im wrong) calls for a vote of No Confidence in Val Andrews.Tyrone were AI Champs within 2 years,while Cavan got beat out of Casement Park by Antrim. Only in Cavan. >:( >:( >:(

BallyhaiseMan

I dont necessarily agree with Tommy Carr getting the boot or a vote of no confidence,Hes hasnt impressed this year,but he should probably be given more time to put things right.
i would however fully support the no confidence motion for this county board,
Any County Board which has to outsource its search for a senior county manager to a private company doesnt deserve its position.
Not to mention the farce of the last few years when they elected to take the cheap way out and select Keoghan instead of Damien Cassidy.

shotstopper1

Did Andrews not walk out himself because although he got the majority support he wanted 100% support? There was talk at the time that what he really wanted was Dublin job but that just didn't happen.The biggest balls up the county board made was when Eamon Coleman (R.I.P.) took ill that they didn't give Cassidy the reigns.McIlkennon was no manager,he should have being left as trainer. The county board just seem to walk from one mess into another like the Liam Austin episode,it was a disgrace the way he was treated.
Not sure what sort of contract TC may be on, it could well be that he has a three year contract and if it were to be terminated he'd be due compensation,so therefore the only way he would be got rid of is if he walked out,which is unlikely to happen.
In all fairness he can't be solely to blame for our recent performances.The main thing that seems to be missing from the Cavan panel is the pride and the passion when they pull on the blue jersey,it just doesn't seem to be there for whatever reason.It's one thing losing but to go down lamely without putting up a fight is something else.These lads have trained all year for this and made a lot of sacrifices,but there's something missing,there doesn't seem to be any leaders within the squad,we don't seem to have any strong characters, that when things are going wrong they can drag the team back up by the scruff of the neck.Like the fullback who comes bursting outta defence or the midfielder who will soar highest and take the ball outta the clouds or the full forward who will take the responsiblity to kick a few inspirational scores,thats what we need inspirational players who can lift a team and supporters when things are going bad.
Also the attitude and commitment of some players is way off,there were three players a couple of years ago who were lambasted in the county and the media for heading to the States to make a few pound , I  just wonder will the lads who travelled from Punchestown to Aughrim to play get the same treatment, somehow I doubt it.

the salmon of knowledge

Quote from: hardstation on July 14, 2009, 12:48:42 AM
You simply can't give Tommy Carr the boot. That would be ridiculous. You have to give him time to build a team. For fecks sake if you replace the manager every year you play crap, how are you supposed to learn?

correct 100%

no championship games this weekend in junior anyhow

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on July 14, 2009, 12:55:55 AM
You simply can't give Tommy Carr the boot. That would be ridiculous. You have to give him time to build a team. For fecks sake if you replace the manager every year you play crap, how are you supposed to learn?

correct 100%

no championship games this weekend in junior anyhow

Championship is on on Thur/Friday/Sat/Sunday week i believe.

cavan4ever

Quote from: shotstopper1 on July 14, 2009, 12:48:16 AM
Also the attitude and commitment of some players is way off,there were three players a couple of years ago who were lambasted in the county and the media for heading to the States to make a few pound , I  just wonder will the lads who travelled from Punchestown to Aughrim to play get the same treatment, somehow I doubt it.

Are you serious ?

Denn Forever

You have to remember Hardstation, we are Cavan ::)
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

put-it-up

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 14, 2009, 08:03:40 AM
Quote from: shotstopper1 on July 14, 2009, 12:48:16 AM
Also the attitude and commitment of some players is way off,there were three players a couple of years ago who were lambasted in the county and the media for heading to the States to make a few pound , I  just wonder will the lads who travelled from Punchestown to Aughrim to play get the same treatment, somehow I doubt it.

Are you serious ?

Please tell me no players travelled from Punchestown? There is no way that can be true.

Anybody see the post today~?

Jayo is not a happy camper!

cavan4ever

Quote from: RednBlack on July 14, 2009, 10:17:25 AM
whats wrong with him?

He was told to warm up that he was going on, asked how long was left and was told 7 minutes.   He then asked the linesman and he told him there was 1 minute left so when Carr called him to go on he told him to f**k off.

put-it-up

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 14, 2009, 10:22:12 AM
whats wrong with him?

He was told to warm up that he was going on, asked how long was left and was told 7 minutes.   He then asked the linesman and he told him there was 1 minute left so when Carr called him to go on he told him to f**k off.

Never heard that C4E? Is that defo true?If so, I presume thats the end of his IC career

put-it-up

certainly not the bit about telling Carr to f**k off!

I only read it in the shop, just says he doesnt think Carr will be here next year and not much has changed in the last year.

cavan4ever

Quote from: put-it-up on July 14, 2009, 10:28:34 AM
Quote from: cavan4ever on July 14, 2009, 10:22:12 AM
whats wrong with him?

Never heard that C4E? Is that defo true?If so, I presume thats the end of his IC career

One of the players told me.

Quote from: put-it-up on July 14, 2009, 10:49:36 AM
certainly not the bit about telling Carr to f**k off!

I only read it in the shop, just says he doesnt think Carr will be here next year and not much has changed in the last year.

You give Cavan people a good name  :D :D