Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Depressing, gut wrenching and embarrassing. The story of being being a Cavan fan in these times.

Since BHM has many's a time gone to the bother of giving player ratings in the past I'll return the favour for him.

Miller - 3/10. One dimensional kick outs. Totally at fault again for the goal coming out like a big pussy when he should come out like a man and bust all out of his way. Always had this flaw and clearly is not learning or improving.
Brides - 6/10. Did OK but with weather like we got it was a day for the backs. He even kicked the ball once, unfortunately to a Wicklow player.
Shierdan - 7/10. Not a full back but does try hard and improved a lot in the 2nd half.
Hannon - 6/10. Similar to brides, minus the kicking comment.
Dunne - 5/10. Got eaten in 1st half and exposed for his lack of pace big time.
Gunner - 7.5/10. Probably our best player. Broke up a lot of attacks, gave it away a bit too but often due to having no support and nothing to aim at.
Flanagan - 6.5/10. Came into game in 2nd half and looked busy but in the end of the day didn't really have any effect on the game.
Walsh - 5/10. Competes for ball alright but his foot passing was atrocious, his hand passing not much better. I hope he isn't passing this on when he is training Cavans youth.
Cullivan - 5.5/10. Tried hard, got on the ball but kicked an awful lot of poor passes. But then again, he was up against a lad of 6'4"
Galligan - 5/10. Out of position, had no impact on game but mostly because miller never kicked the ball anywhere near him.
Sean Brady - 3/10. A joke that he stayed on as long as he did. Might as well of put a training cone on the pitch instead of him.
Keating - 3/10. Terrible. People tell me he is creative and is on the pitch to make the passes. Well his passing was deplorable, in fact i don't think he found a player on his own team. He is young but I have to wonder is old fashioned favouritism at play here that he continues to start without producing.
Pierson - 7/10. Scored a class point and was only forward who took the slippery ball in and got turned. Why he didn't make an appearance against Antrim is beyond me.
Larry - 5.5/10. Couldn't get a ball anywhere near him and on the odd occasion they did he did nothing with it. He had one great run which he was fouled for and another goal chance he missed.
Johnston - 5/10. His body language was that he didn't fancy the day, the weather, the tight marking. He trotted out for ball instead of sprint. He turned and did a few "i'm a superstar" on the spot solo's, slowing the whole attack down. If he was anyone else he'd have been taken of but sure you can't sub superstars.

Subs
Mackey 7/10. An absolute joke he didn't start. Up and down the pitch like a hare. He made mistakes but always works hard. He got dropped on one bad performance against Antrim and look at some of the others that started ahead of him.
Cahill 6.5/10. Did well, how come we don't see him until now though. Has a bit of pace that was lacking through out the team.
Givney 5/10. Caused a bit of bother at FF but never seemed to take in the ball and then he started to lose balls he should win. Confidence was finally sapped when he did a dummy solo and ended up dummying himself.

Carr - 3/10. Wrong team started. No fire in the bellies of the players. No game plan. Then he stands on the sideline for 70 minutes with his arms folded. I thought he was the man for the job but the last two games something as fundamental as fight, spirit and work rate are missing. Should we sack him? If there is a big name out there  that is mad enough to take the job then yes we should. The county needs a lift like what a Mick o Dwyer can  bring. Imagine lads, we play in Ulster and our draw this year was Home to Fermanagh, Clones (almost as good as home) against Antrim and away to Wicklow. We won't get a draw like that for another 20 years by the laws of averages. Our players are under performing to such a degree that we now wonder are they just shite. They are not that bad in my opinion.

This performance was rock bottom. There is no county in Ireland that would not fancy their chances against us. We have seen the proud Breffni Jersey dragged through the mud and it makes me sick to the pit of my stomach. The fans have lost fate, I thought me and the 4 boys with me were the only Cavan ones in the crowd as I could hear no other fans. I have travelled the country watching Cavan (I drove from the west coast of Sligo to Cavan to Wicklow to see this game) and it is the first game I ever left before the final whistle blew. I never thought I'd say this but the team played better when Keoghan was the manager - God help us. BAck in the day we were a team that would not lie down, for f**k sake if a Cavan man had of thrown a box in frustration at least that would have displayed a bit of passion. What I see in front of me is a bunch of f**king superstars that think they have achieved something by playing for Cavan, managed by a lad that seems to have no idea how to get that mentality out of their heads. I see no hope for the future for at least 5 years - thats how depressing that was.

cavan4ever

Carrs man management have to be questioned. 

Mark McKeever - Carr said in interview that Mckeever was not dropped from panel and was just taking a break.   McKeever was never seen again and as far as i know Carr never spoke about him again. 

Dermot McCabe - Conflicting stories but im sure could have been handled better.

Lorcan Mulvey - Surely could have offered something at midfield for at least 20 - 25 mins in Antrim Game.  Didnt quit panel, was pushed out by Carr and his side kicks.

I cant think of anyone else, my head tells me im missing someone obvious, im still not right from last night.

boojangles

I give up.I have actually gone past caring.We have really hit rock bottom.Let club championships begin.I really hope Tommy Carr and co are watching because they have a lot of replacing to do.But TBH there just aint the footballers in this county.The last 2 games have really drilled that home.
No more talk about Cavan from me.Thats it.
Just back from an 18 year olds Removal.There are more important things in life than football.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 12, 2009, 07:59:26 PM
Depressing, gut wrenching and embarrassing. The story of being being a Cavan fan in these times.

Since BHM has many's a time gone to the bother of giving player ratings in the past I'll return the favour for him.

Miller - 3/10. One dimensional kick outs. Totally at fault again for the goal coming out like a big pussy when he should come out like a man and bust all out of his way. Always had this flaw and clearly is not learning or improving.
Brides - 6/10. Did OK but with weather like we got it was a day for the backs. He even kicked the ball once, unfortunately to a Wicklow player.
Shierdan - 7/10. Not a full back but does try hard and improved a lot in the 2nd half.
Hannon - 6/10. Similar to brides, minus the kicking comment.
Dunne - 5/10. Got eaten in 1st half and exposed for his lack of pace big time.
Gunner - 7.5/10. Probably our best player. Broke up a lot of attacks, gave it away a bit too but often due to having no support and nothing to aim at.
Flanagan - 6.5/10. Came into game in 2nd half and looked busy but in the end of the day didn't really have any effect on the game.
Walsh - 5/10. Competes for ball alright but his foot passing was atrocious, his hand passing not much better. I hope he isn't passing this on when he is training Cavans youth.
Cullivan - 5.5/10. Tried hard, got on the ball but kicked an awful lot of poor passes. But then again, he was up against a lad of 6'4"
Galligan - 5/10. Out of position, had no impact on game but mostly because miller never kicked the ball anywhere near him.
Sean Brady - 3/10. A joke that he stayed on as long as he did. Might as well of put a training cone on the pitch instead of him.
Keating - 3/10. Terrible. People tell me he is creative and is on the pitch to make the passes. Well his passing was deplorable, in fact i don't think he found a player on his own team. He is young but I have to wonder is old fashioned favouritism at play here that he continues to start without producing.
Pierson - 7/10. Scored a class point and was only forward who took the slippery ball in and got turned. Why he didn't make an appearance against Antrim is beyond me.
Larry - 5.5/10. Couldn't get a ball anywhere near him and on the odd occasion they did he did nothing with it. He had one great run which he was fouled for and another goal chance he missed.
Johnston - 5/10. His body language was that he didn't fancy the day, the weather, the tight marking. He trotted out for ball instead of sprint. He turned and did a few "i'm a superstar" on the spot solo's, slowing the whole attack down. If he was anyone else he'd have been taken of but sure you can't sub superstars.

Subs
Mackey 7/10. An absolute joke he didn't start. Up and down the pitch like a hare. He made mistakes but always works hard. He got dropped on one bad performance against Antrim and look at some of the others that started ahead of him.
Cahill 6.5/10. Did well, how come we don't see him until now though. Has a bit of pace that was lacking through out the team.
Givney 5/10. Caused a bit of bother at FF but never seemed to take in the ball and then he started to lose balls he should win. Confidence was finally sapped when he did a dummy solo and ended up dummying himself.

Carr - 3/10. Wrong team started. No fire in the bellies of the players. No game plan. Then he stands on the sideline for 70 minutes with his arms folded. I thought he was the man for the job but the last two games something as fundamental as fight, spirit and work rate are missing. Should we sack him? If there is a big name out there  that is mad enough to take the job then yes we should. The county needs a lift like what a Mick o Dwyer can  bring. Imagine lads, we play in Ulster and our draw this year was Home to Fermanagh, Clones (almost as good as home) against Antrim and away to Wicklow. We won't get a draw like that for another 20 years by the laws of averages. Our players are under performing to such a degree that we now wonder are they just shite. They are not that bad in my opinion.

This performance was rock bottom. There is no county in Ireland that would not fancy their chances against us. We have seen the proud Breffni Jersey dragged through the mud and it makes me sick to the pit of my stomach. The fans have lost fate, I thought me and the 4 boys with me were the only Cavan ones in the crowd as I could hear no other fans. I have travelled the country watching Cavan (I drove from the west coast of Sligo to Cavan to Wicklow to see this game) and it is the first game I ever left before the final whistle blew. I never thought I'd say this but the team played better when Keoghan was the manager - God help us. BAck in the day we were a team that would not lie down, for f**k sake if a Cavan man had of thrown a box in frustration at least that would have displayed a bit of passion. What I see in front of me is a bunch of f**king superstars that think they have achieved something by playing for Cavan, managed by a lad that seems to have no idea how to get that mentality out of their heads. I see no hope for the future for at least 5 years - thats how depressing that was.

Thanks very much Myles, some trip for you from Sligo to wicklow via Cavan,There are a few of the afore-mentioned lads that shouldnt even be in the panel next year in my opinion,Anyway we have the next 6 months to discuss who should be brought in so i wont start it now.
Depressing stuff.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 12, 2009, 08:25:12 PM
Carrs man management have to be questioned. 

Mark McKeever - Carr said in interview that Mckeever was not dropped from panel and was just taking a break.   McKeever was never seen again and as far as i know Carr never spoke about him again. 

Dermot McCabe - Conflicting stories but im sure could have been handled better.

Lorcan Mulvey - Surely could have offered something at midfield for at least 20 - 25 mins in Antrim Game.  Didnt quit panel, was pushed out by Carr and his side kicks.

I cant think of anyone else, my head tells me im missing someone obvious, im still not right from last night.

His Man Management and Selection skills are atrocious, Anyone who knows anything about club football knows that Martin Cahill and Keith Fannin are better than Brides,Dunne and co.
About 50 people and thats no exagerration have said to me how they cant believe the two players mentioned were not played before the likes of those two,Keating  when at Centre Back etc. I dont know what to make of the whole situation,it doesnt look good from Carr's point of view anyway.

put-it-up

I am just baffled by the whole situation and don't know whether to make heads nor tail of it.

I wonder how some of the players feel?

And some have been given so many chances they really don't deserve anymore. I am not even going through them individually, we all know who they are at this stage

BallyhaiseMan

Michael Brides replaced by Daire McMahon(Kingscourt)
Rory Dunne by Gary Fernacombe(Drumalee)
Eugene Keating by Kevin Brady(Lavey)
Ciaran Galligan by Thomas Corr(Denn)
Sean Brady by Sean Og Gargan(Kingscourt)

Nicholas Walsh at midfield experiment has to have ended,Hes either a targetman at full forward or he shouldnt be there,
Ive seen him play his best for club and county at full forward.
Tomas Reily and Declan McKiernan were on the panel,but both should see extensive action next year, a bit of power,Speed and lots of ability tied in with typical slasher aggression(isnt that right Myles ? )  :P

Gearoid McKernan(Swad) and Jonathon Crowe of Crosserlough should be brought in as well if they are healthy.

From the Gaels.
Chesty if hes willing to come back,i know he couldnt give the commitment this year due to work.
Robert Maloney Derham, Bit of power, speed and size.
Gavin Duffy if hes around,
And my final one, and im going to take abuse for this i know!!!

Sean Reily 6'5, terribly awkward to play against,Good Fielder,Hes worth at least a try in the McKenna Cup, he wouldnt be the best player to ever play for Cavan,but hes a big man and thats what we need.

Theres a good few more players that i would like to see tried,Actually it runs into about 20!!!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: RednBlack on July 12, 2009, 10:11:07 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 12, 2009, 10:06:24 PM

Nicholas Walsh at midfield experiment has to have ended,Hes either a targetman at full forward or he shouldnt be there,
Tomas Reily and Declan McKiernan were on the panel,but both should see extensive action next year, a bit of power,Speed and lots of ability tied in with typical slasher aggression(isnt that right Myles ? )  :P

Gearoid McKernan(Swad) and Jonathon Crowe of Crosserlough should be brought in as well if they are healthy.

From the Gaels.
Chesty if hes willing to come back,i know he couldnt give the commitment this year due to work.

Sean Reily 6'5, terribly awkward to play against,Good Fielder,Hes worth at least a try in the McKenna Cup, he wouldnt be the best player to ever play for Cavan,but hes a big man and thats what we need. nothing wild about that. funny he crossed my mind today.

Theres a good few more players that i would like to see tried,Actually it runs into about 20!!!
what about Murray from the Gaels. How would you rate him compared to Maloney Derham?

Niall Murray is the best pure footballer out of those great group of minors the Gaels had,But Maloney Derham has impressed me greatly whenever i have seen him,Mobile,Powerful and a good ball carrier. Niall Murray i dont think is physically ready for IC Football.
Maloney Derham ran Ballyhaise Ragged this year in the Division Two league game,Most impressive performance ive seen against us and we have came up against different countymen.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 12, 2009, 10:06:24 PM

From the Gaels.

Sean Reily 6'5, terribly awkward to play against,Good Fielder,Hes worth at least a try in the McKenna Cup, he wouldnt be the best player to ever play for Cavan,but hes a big man and thats what we need.

It will be good to see how many will get a chance.  Every year a few are brought in usually treated badly and by the time the league starts its back to the usual suspects apart form maybe 1 or 2 of the previous years Minor team.  

I think all the players that you named there are well worth a shot.  A big probem within the county is the attitude of spme club players and people inside clubs who dont care about the county team.  Im sure you all know people from your clubs who have being saying for the last few weeks "the sooner they are out of it the better".  

BallyhaiseMan

I named your clubmate in those that would be replaced,
But i dont see why He cant be tried at full forward either,Yourself and Drung will soon correct me,But i believe hes played with Drung there when he has had injury problems and has been very effective.
A Big Athletic player who can knock the ball down to the Likes of Jelly and Pierson is worth a try in there.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: RednBlack on July 12, 2009, 10:44:11 PM
its players like that i would love to see play in a regional championship.

imagine having 8 regions in Cavan and players had something real to play for. you could try units of players from certain clubs to see how they mix with other players from other teams. it would not be hard to run off and could be used during the shutdown window for county work.

region 1: Gowna Mullahoran Lacken Cornafean Arva

region 2: cavan gaels drumalee killygarry ballyhaise Ballinagh

region 3: kingscourt shercock bailieboro laragh lavey

region 4: castlerahan mountnugent crosserlough ballymachugh Denn

region 5: ramor maghera munterconnacht killinkere cuchullains

region 6: drumgoon cootehill kill drung knockbride

region 7: swanlinbar shannon gaels templeport corlough kildallon

region 8: killeshandra butlersbridge redhills belturbet drumlane

Would be interesting to hear from ye who know each region well what kind of team you would come up with from those clubs paired together like that

it would take a few posts,but il give it a go.
Group 1

1. Shane Sheridan(Lacken)
2. Dermot Sheridan(Mullahoran)
3. Ciaran Sheils(Mullahoran)
4. Dermot McGlade(Arva)
5.James Moynagh(Lacken)
6.Paul Brady(Mullahoran)
7.Mark McKeever(Gowna)
8.Dermot McCabe(Gowna)
9.Eddie Reily(Mullahoran)
10.Niall Madden(Gowna)
11.Finbar Reily(Lacken)
12.Gavin Doyle(Arva)
13.Gerard Pierson(Gowna)
14.Raymond Galligan(Lacken)
15.Mark Johnston(Cornafean)

i havent seen Arva and Cornafean this year,but from previous outings,they were the lads i believe should get at least a trial.
I think your idea isa terrific one,but probably too far sighted for this county Rednblack.

put-it-up

I know from my own club, Declan Reilly is as good as a corner back there is, though we have had to play him out of position this year. He is quick, fit and nippy.
Paddy Bird has single handedly destroyed teams this year. He ran Drung ragged and would love to see him given a shot. But I understand my lot is Div 3 at the minute.
Unfortunately Daire McMahon done his cruciate last week so a believe.

Instead of us all writing down random players, shall I make up a wish list and you can offer suggestions?

1. A man-marking corner back
2. A player who's natural position is FB and plays there with his club
3. A midfielder who can actually field
4. Another midfielder, who is strong and athletic and above six foot.
5. A creative influence on the 40?
6. A full forward to man the squre and slap down to Jelly and Pierson - personally id go with Walsh or Givney
7. Some genuine back-up to James, looked sluggish this year

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: put-it-up on July 12, 2009, 11:19:39 PM
I know from my own club, Declan Reilly is as good as a corner back there is, though we have had to play him out of position this year. He is quick, fit and nippy.
Paddy Bird has single handedly destroyed teams this year. He ran Drung ragged and would love to see him given a shot. But I understand my lot is Div 3 at the minute.
Unfortunately Daire McMahon done his cruciate last week so a believe.

Instead of us all writing down random players, shall I make up a wish list and you can offer suggestions?

1. A man-marking corner back
2. A player who's natural position is FB and plays there with his club
3. A midfielder who can actually field
4. Another midfielder, who is strong and athletic and above six foot.
5. A creative influence on the 40?
6. A full forward to man the squre and slap down to Jelly and Pierson - personally id go with Walsh or Givney
7. Some genuine back-up to James, looked sluggish this year

Neil Donnelan was very good at full back for you lads aswell a year or two ago.
Shame to hear about McMahon, the way he was playing he was a definite for the county,Hope he comes back stronger,Cavan need big lads who can run(Tackle!!!) and are good on the ball like him.

put-it-up

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 12, 2009, 11:10:23 PM
Quote from: RednBlack on July 12, 2009, 10:44:11 PM
its players like that i would love to see play in a regional championship.

imagine having 8 regions in Cavan and players had something real to play for. you could try units of players from certain clubs to see how they mix with other players from other teams. it would not be hard to run off and could be used during the shutdown window for county work.

region 1: Gowna Mullahoran Lacken Cornafean Arva

region 2: cavan gaels drumalee killygarry ballyhaise Ballinagh

region 3: kingscourt shercock bailieboro laragh lavey

region 4: castlerahan mountnugent crosserlough ballymachugh Denn

region 5: ramor maghera munterconnacht killinkere cuchullains

region 6: drumgoon cootehill kill drung knockbride

region 7: swanlinbar shannon gaels templeport corlough kildallon

region 8: killeshandra butlersbridge redhills belturbet drumlane

Would be interesting to hear from ye who know each region well what kind of team you would come up with from those clubs paired together like that

it would take a few posts,but il give it a go.
Group 1

1. Shane Sheridan(Lacken)
2. Dermot Sheridan(Mullahoran)
3. Ciaran Sheils(Mullahoran)
4. Dermot McGlade(Arva)
5.James Moynagh(Lacken)
6.Paul Brady(Mullahoran)
7.Mark McKeever(Gowna)
8.Dermot McCabe(Gowna)
9.Eddie Reily(Mullahoran)
10.Niall Madden(Gowna)
11.Finbar Reily(Lacken)
12.Gavin Doyle(Arva)
13.Gerard Pierson(Gowna)
14.Raymond Galligan(Lacken)
15.Mark Johnston(Cornafean)

i havent seen Arva and Cornafean this year,but from previous outings,they were the lads i believe should get at least a trial.
I think your idea isa terrific one,but probably too far sighted for this county Rednblack.

The idea does make sense but as Iv said before its tough to find a time for it, when they cant even organise club fixtures properly. This idea would be run off in Novemebr or something and it is very hard to judge lads then.

My problem with your team there BHM is that it is by and large just the same faces again. McCabe, Finbar, Eddie are all past the peak so what is the point of them playing in this. We want to find lads that have never played minor or u21 with the county but are talented and biting at the bit to get into a county squad.

put-it-up

Quote from: RednBlack on July 12, 2009, 11:40:38 PM
the new 3G pitch will be ready behind Breffni from Sept/Oct. No reason why these games cant be played on that pitch in Nov/Dec. Top class good dry surface, central location in the county. Would provide senior management with better data closer to the start of the McKenna Cup and League.

RnB, you seem highly intelligent, would you like to take up a role on the CB and give them a kick up the backside from all us posters ;D Maybe even you could be an honorary advisor?

On the senior management, I think TC's could rejig or extend his backroom team. Would like to see someone older from Cavan, that none of the players would be overly friendly with, involved behind the scenes.