Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

This game for me was always going to set the tone for the rest of TC's reign. I'm afraid it doesn't look good if this is the best he can do as regards getting the best out of the players. Cavan are now effectively ranked among the very worst teams in the country based on the last two performances, it's hard to credit it. At the moment we might beat Kilkenny or London and give a game to Carlow but every other team would be well fancied to beat us.

In a county where we eat, sleep, drink and spend vast amounts of money on the sport of gaelic football, it's an incredibly sobering and saddening realisation to have to make.

I think I'm going to take a long break from actually giving a shite about the county team, until such a time as they deserve it. Support has been unconditional and blind for far too long and I'm now at the stage where I just couldn't give a fiddler's fart about the whole shooting lot of it. You'll find a lot of folks thinking the same thing, I mean nobody is going to retain any sort of interest in such a dead loss.

How could the squad and manager pick itself up and face into next year with any sort of enthusiasm, after the tame, sheepish capitulations of the last two games. We've really hit rock bottom. Very hard to see any sort of future for us at this precise moment in time.

anglocelt39

BHM man analysis about right. Gone from throwing a game against Kildare away last year ( a bloody good Kildare team as it happens) to getting CONVINCINGLY beaten by Antrim AND Wicklow. However, one thing sticks out like a dogs balls and that's the fact that the "heroes of 97" have more or less departed all at once. It was never going to be easy for Carr and so it has come to pass.

We are where we are I'm afraid-from our last really competitive team Rabbitte, Forde, Doonan, McCabe, Peter Reilly, Larry Reilly, Jason, Gaynor, Mckeever, Paul Galligan, Finbar Reilly, Mickey Graham etc. etc. etc. are gone and the lads that are coming through haven't exactly got a winning habit so it's going to be a long way back. I'm gutted for the players that were out there tonight, none of them went out to let themselves or anybody else down and I think there is so much TC can do, I'm just not sure the players are there right now.

At the moment we are a division three team hovering on the brink of division 4 and maybe we need to get used to it. As a mate of mine said tonight "39 Ulster's, five sam's, pissed on by by Antrim and Wicklow. If your father was alive he'd turn in his grave". Not as he'd intended but I got the sentiment.

As far as I'm concerned, thanks to the players who put the effort in since January and hope next year brings better things. Just look back at the report on the Fermanagh match in the Cavan Echo online and think how things might get better. On that desperately optimistic note I'm off for a skinful
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

The team according to a hoganstand poster was

1.James Reily
2.Michael Hannon
3.Dermot Sheridan
4.Michael Brides
5.Rory Dunne
6.Paul Brady
7.Ronan Flanagan
8.Ray Cullivan
9.Nicholas Walsh
10.Eugene Keating
11.Sean Brady
12.Ciaran Galligan
13.Gerard Pierson
14.Larry Reily
15.Sean Johnston.

a midfield of a 5'11 Ray Cullivan and 6'1 Nicholas Walsh against Thomas Walsh and James Stafford both 6'5
>:( im sure that worked out well.
Lads how did each player play? did anyone have a good game?

tierworker blue

Just in the door after a long, horrible evening, absolutely soaked to the skin and trying to stave off the onset of hypothermia.
Fair play to the few who made the journey. Man, the things we do for Cavan football...I'm honestly wondering if I need my head examined!
It was a divil of a journey down, a divil to get parked, a divil of a game with unbelievably bad rain and wind, a divil of a result and then a divil of a journey home (You can substitute something fruitier for 'divil'...I'm just too polite to curse online!)
Like the rest of y'all, I'm annoyed / depressed / ashamed / worried etc etc...We are totally in limbo, and it's such a long road back to any semblance of success and that's hard to take. I'm too knackered to disect the game at the moment but sure there's hardly much point anyway...It's the same old story.
I see Bruce Willis is saving the world on the telly now...I wonder could he save Cavan football?! Now there's a thought............

put-it-up

Well that was more or less like the antrim game except I travelled three hours in the car and got soaked for an hour an a half due to the lack of cover!

Ah im not going to give out too much, I thought we would see a big performance after the Antrim game but it was a disaster. Tactically, well there is not much to talk about because there did not seem to be any tactic. I'm not saying any of the players were not comittmited, of course they were, but there was no genuine belief. I genuinely feel, Cavan have fallen into a habit of losing and habits are hard to break. I thought after the Fermanagh game we had turned a corner, but its turned out to be one step forward and three back .

Despite the difference in height at MF, we were not cleaned out but we were destroyed on the breaking ball. A couple of times I saw Sean Brady, Paul Brady and Rorry Dunne going up for the kickout - when there job should be sweeping in for breaks. That is basic stuff. Gunner was quite good though and was arguably our best performer.

Did not understand the reason the play Galligan WF and a lot of question marks will be raised about Keating now (whipped off mid-way through first-half).

FF line started well, but poor supply came in and at times Cavan players treated the ball like a hot potato when building an attack. Nobody wanted to take control of the situation. As i said, the lack of belief and execution was shocking.

Cavan football is at a real crossroads now. Does Carr deserve to stay in the job?On this year's performances probably not but I WOULD NOT sack him. He got given the job to start rebuilding and I am hoping that we have to go back before we can go forward. Anyway who else would take the job here? Carr is not free of blame but don't forget he is trying to change the mentality of 30 players who more or less have never suceeded at IC at any level. As much as we all want it, it just doesnt happen over night.

What I would like to see is for players who are playing well in the club championship to be given a shot next year. A few new faces who maybe have not played minor or u21 with Cavan you know?

put-it-up

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 11, 2009, 11:20:16 PM

1.James Reily
2.Michael Hannon
3.Dermot Sheridan
4.Michael Brides
5.Rory Dunne
6.Paul Brady
7.Ronan Flanagan
8.Ray Cullivan
9.Nicholas Walsh
10.Eugene Keating
11.Sean Brady
12.Ciaran Galligan
13.Gerard Pierson
14.Larry Reily
15.Sean Johnston.

a midfield of a 5'11 Ray Cullivan and 6'1 Nicholas Walsh against Thomas Walsh and James Stafford both 6'5

Honestly no point doing player ratings mate. Would only drag morale down even further!

Havin a cuppa and watching bruce save the world myself..and trying to forget a miserable day!

Babe Ruth 47

Just in after the most miserable 3 hour journey in wet clothes imaginable. What a hole of a grounds. Actually had a ticket with a seat number on it, thought I might get some cover but it was just taken off me. Diabolical display. No leadership, direction nor gameplan. Midfield diabolical. Although Cullivan tried hard,  his height is always going to restrict him. Walsh is not an intercounty midfielder. No ability, engine, workrate, nor read of a ball. Pierson started brightly but quickly faded. Our full back line did ok. They managed to pick up a lot of ball. This definately wasn't as a result of being in front of their men but just picking up breaks from the sloppy handling of their counterparts. Gunner was quite good, Keating a disaster, Brady anonymous, Dunne poor etc.etc.etc........

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on July 12, 2009, 12:14:44 AM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 11, 2009, 11:20:16 PM

1.James Reily
2.Michael Hannon
3.Dermot Sheridan
4.Michael Brides
5.Rory Dunne
6.Paul Brady
7.Ronan Flanagan
8.Ray Cullivan
9.Nicholas Walsh
10.Eugene Keating
11.Sean Brady
12.Ciaran Galligan
13.Gerard Pierson
14.Larry Reily
15.Sean Johnston.

Honestly no point doing player ratings mate. Would only drag morale down even further!

Havin a cuppa and watching bruce save the world myself..and trying to forget a miserable day!

Only home now, absolutely soaking and miserable -  just remembered that Brucie is on tele which will cheer me up no end, turn on the tele and it's not working coz of the aerial being fucked... WORST DAY EVER
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

put-it-up

hang in there Celt Man, tomorrow is a new day!

On a positive note, club football will get going again!

put-it-up

Quote from: RednBlack on July 12, 2009, 10:22:46 AM
just about dried out. what a pisser of a night.

Miller has to be one of the best shot stoppers in the game but thats twice this year a high ball has seen him beaten in the air. He should have come and cleaned the Wicklow lad out. Dermot Sheridan scrapped well but IMO is not a full back.

Flanagan bust a gut all night and looked far better at wing back and caught two great balls. Gunner has a habit of bombing forward and leaves big vacant holes behind.

Over the championship season I think its very important that TC finds 4 players for the middle of the park diamond.

Middle of the park competed ok, very slow to get into game but the second half saw an improvement with nothing coming off it. Cullivan has to learn not to jump through his own guys. He was at this in Armagh at U21 game this year and did it 2 or 3 times in second half when we had a sneaking chance of getting back into it.

Keating and S Brady not at it and Mackey not much better when he arrived. Keating had the ball in hand something like 16 times when he was on and turned it over 11. He needs to work on his delivery technique. Simple ball works better than a sexy slice kick making it very  hard for the receiver to grab hold of it. Especially on anight like last night.

Galligan was in as an out option on kickouts to avoid their middle but how many times did Miller send the ball his way?

FF line. Larry ended up coming way out to look for ball as the HF line not getting it in. Left Seanie marshalled by 2 -3 lads at times and Pierson faded in and out but it looked better for having him in there. If he had only carried the ball another 10 yards before shooting in the second half when we had them under a bit of pressure.

Where do we go from here? Up I hope as surely these players will have now learned whats needed at IC level to succeed.

Rather than the regional games played before Christmas where players didnt really give a damn about them I would love to see a Regional  Championship brought in that would have a bit of bit.

Break the county up into 8 regions with five clubs feeding into each side. Give up an coming coaches and managers the repsonsibility to look after them, try units from club teams out together to see how they work. Might just increase the standard of senior football as the current club football in Cavan is so poor.

Only a thought as something has to be done.

Not a bad suggestion RnB, but I think because of the time of year they are played at, it is hard to judge lads and interest from players does wane. And dont forget we already have a massive backlog of club fixtures and an U21 championship to run. The latter I think should be scrapped, if they are going to play it at the end of the year.

It really is a hard problem to solve. Amalgamations in the senior championship clearly are not the answer either.

But I do feel it is time to drag in a few new faces from the club scene. I know there are not many outstanding candidates, but I think TC has to search high and low for a hard-working, man-marking Corner back in the mould of Dessie Mone and a FB. It is clear Dermot Sheridan is not a natural FB, though I would like to see him given a chance in the HB line in next year's McKenna Cup.

MF really is a problem. Young McKiernan will definetly mature into one of our midfielderss but probably not for another two years, so we need short term solutions in that department. Easier said than done, I know. On kickouts I thought we had no system. I know James has a massive kick, but I have said this before, distance does not secure possession. If his kick is going 60 yards and coming straight back, its not helping anyone. Galligan was not used at all at WF, I agree with you there RnB.

I thought our FF line yesterday looked far more potent, but it was a poxy evening and the supply coming in was shite. Our HF line was atrocious. Provided no link from defence to attack. How many times did Flanagan, Brady or even Hannon carry the ball out of defence only to overrun it around the Wicklow 40 because a lack of support?

really interested to hear what TC said to the media and how he feels we can progress from here.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Thought it best to leave it until today to post-not in much humour soaked to the skin at midnight to turn on the PC. It's good to see a lot of rational posts I have to say.
Firstly conditions were dreadful. Some handling errors can be put down to that but it affected both sides. Miller was completely to blame for the goal and for all his shot-stopping ability he's an accident waiting to happen and it happened yesterday. Our FB line did ok but by chance with Sheridan being a yard off all the time but his attempt at a tackle often breaking the ball due the conditions. I though Brides improved from the last day and actually hit a few hefty shoulders in the first half which was at least heartening. Gunner was outstanding in the first half and I thought Flanagan was good too. I'm a big fan of Dunne's ability. The problems lie with his desire/aggression and finding a position for him. He also has very little pace. Keating & Sean Brady were woeful. Galliagan tried his best. I thought Pierson was also outstanding first half holding every ball given the conditions.
In all a woeful result and season. It's hard to know where to start. We're not a great team but we're better than we've shown. It's mostly upstairs where the problems are. Belief/aggression and decision making need major work and that's where the management team come in. There's no way we should be looking for Carr to go but he needs to take what he can from this year and build on it. He needs a strong competitor to keep Miler on his toes. He needs Eoin Smith or Darren Rabbitte to compete for full-back. A couple of corner backs wouldn't go amiss either. Sheridan needs to be tried at wing back as he's one lad not lacking desire. Keating and Brady need kicks to the arse and at midfield I'm liking the look of Declan McKiernan. Pierson and Jelly fully fit and committed would be a geat option.

I'm rambling a bit but I'm just tyring to say that we can't be that far from being a decent team.

On a side note I would like to make my disgust known at a few Cavan fans in the terrace shouting abuse at Keating & Sean Brady when they were being taken off and also at the referee. You hear the same boys giving out about the negative soccer traits of diving etc coming in to GAA. Well this abuse is the worst thing to come across from soccer IMO. Regardless of how good/bad a player or referee is performing they're doing it for little reward and abuse is unilikely to make them want to do it any better. If a player isn't trying then maybe shout at him to run or whatever but this type of shite puts me off going near games.

put-it-up

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on July 12, 2009, 12:17:48 PM
Thought it best to leave it until today to post-not in much humour soaked to the skin at midnight to turn on the PC. It's good to see a lot of rational posts I have to say.
Firstly conditions were dreadful. Some handling errors can be put down to that but it affected both sides. Miller was completely to blame for the goal and for all his shot-stopping ability he's an accident waiting to happen and it happened yesterday. Our FB line did ok but by chance with Sheridan being a yard off all the time but his attempt at a tackle often breaking the ball due the conditions. I though Brides improved from the last day and actually hit a few hefty shoulders in the first half which was at least heartening. Gunner was outstanding in the first half and I thought Flanagan was good too. I'm a big fan of Dunne's ability. The problems lie with his desire/aggression and finding a position for him. He also has very little pace. Keating & Sean Brady were woeful. Galliagan tried his best. I thought Pierson was also outstanding first half holding every ball given the conditions.
In all a woeful result and season. It's hard to know where to start. We're not a great team but we're better than we've shown. It's mostly upstairs where the problems are. Belief/aggression and decision making need major work and that's where the management team come in. There's no way we should be looking for Carr to go but he needs to take what he can from this year and build on it. He needs a strong competitor to keep Miler on his toes. He needs Eoin Smith or Darren Rabbitte to compete for full-back. A couple of corner backs wouldn't go amiss either. Sheridan needs to be tried at wing back as he's one lad not lacking desire. Keating and Brady need kicks to the arse and at midfield I'm liking the look of Declan McKiernan. Pierson and Jelly fully fit and committed would be a geat option.

I'm rambling a bit but I'm just tyring to say that we can't be that far from being a decent team.

On a side note I would like to make my disgust known at a few Cavan fans in the terrace shouting abuse at Keating & Sean Brady when they were being taken off and also at the referee. You hear the same boys giving out about the negative soccer traits of diving etc coming in to GAA. Well this abuse is the worst thing to come across from soccer IMO. Regardless of how good/bad a player or referee is performing they're doing it for little reward and abuse is unilikely to make them want to do it any better. If a player isn't trying then maybe shout at him to run or whatever but this type of shite puts me off going near games.

More or less agree wit everything you have said Lawrence. Especially the point about Sheridan standing a foot off his man everytime. That just shows he is not a FB.
Miller was at fault for the goal, watched it again on line and he should cleaned your man out. He really does have no genuine competition at the minute.
Agree about Dunne, his lack of pace lets him down but I do think he will develop into an IC player. Still only 19 remember.
Keating was appaling and Brady, well I just dont think I have ever seen him play well in a blue jersey.

i think we should should just draw a line under yesterday and start talking about what we need for next year. No point of us keep saying how crap yesterday was. But one last time, it was crap  ;D

I was on the terrace and didn't hear abuse when they were being taken off, I heard one or two shouts during the game alright but that can be understood, fans get frustrated too and are entitled too. Once it is not personal abuse, it is just forgotten about.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: put-it-up on July 12, 2009, 12:56:07 PM

More or less agree wit everything you have said Lawrence. Especially the point about Sheridan standing a foot off his man everytime. That just shows he is not a FB.
Miller was at fault for the goal, watched it again on line and he should cleaned your man out. He really does have no genuine competition at the minute.
Agree about Dunne, his lack of pace lets him down but I do think he will develop into an IC player. Still only 19 remember.
Keating was appaling and Brady, well I just dont think I have ever seen him play well in a blue jersey.

i think we should should just draw a line under yesterday and start talking about what we need for next year. No point of us keep saying how crap yesterday was. But one last time, it was crap  ;D

I was on the terrace and didn't hear abuse when they were being taken off, I heard one or two shouts during the game alright but that can be understood, fans get frustrated too and are entitled too. Once it is not personal abuse, it is just forgotten about.
I agree, but it was personal. "About time you useless bastard" was one I remember. And I think we had more to worry about than a few poor refereeing decisions also.

cavan4ever

Will a player who doesnt have the pace at 19 to be a sucess as an IC footballer have the pace at an older age?

put-it-up

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on July 12, 2009, 01:08:40 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on July 12, 2009, 12:56:07 PM

I agree, but it was personal. "About time you useless b**tard" was one I remember. And I think we had more to worry about than a few poor refereeing decisions also.

Fair enough, that is a bit personal :) i wouldn't abuse like that, he trains prob three nights a week you know? That ref is some twat as well!
C4E, obviously a lack of pace is a problem, but with experience you learn how to cope with your lack of pace you know? Your sense of positioning can mean you do not get exposed.