Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Drung on July 08, 2009, 02:04:05 PM
I'm not a fan of martin Reilly, he's very average from play and is ridiculously light. I mean there's small light and hardy players, but he's extremely weak for inter-county senior football and you can't afford to have a player like that unless he's exceptional.
He's also not that great a free-taker - he got a couple of nice ones against Fermanagh but he was hopeless from frees against Antrim. For that reason I'd drop him and bring in Larry - I would always start Larry because he takes the game to the opposition, has experience and gets the crowd rose and behind the team.

Mulvey and Walsh are out, so it has to be Cullivan at midfield, I would try Givney at full-forward, we have nothing to lose by throwing him in there, he's had a few months since the Longford and Tipp games when he last featured at FF.
He scored a hat-trick for the Cavan juniors in that position against a very good Louth team, and marking their senior full-back Ciaran Goss.

I would have liked to see Cahill thrown in but he's gone now so I'd bring McCutcheon to centre-back with Flanagan and Gunner on the wings. Dunne should be full back along with Hannon/Brides/Fannin/Sheridan - any two. If things are going wrong at 3, bring on Ted. Brides was brilliant against Fermanagh remember, while Hannon, who I rate highly, has been off the pace ever since his injury.

So my team would be

James Reilly

Sheridan
Dunne
Brides/Hannon - I'd give Brides the nod.

Brady
McCutcheon
Flanagan

Galligan
Cullivan

Larry Reilly
Lyng
Mackey

Johnston
Givney
Pearson

Regradless, it's going to be very tough. Hopefully we get a big performance and a win.
a few points Drung that id disagree with
Brides brilliant against Fermanagh? he was caught for the goal, he wasnt terrible but brilliant is stretching it a bit.
Dunne isnt quick enough for full back at Inter County Level, a Full Back at IC Level needs to be either fast or at least very quick off the mark,preferebly both. Dunne is a good footballer ,but not at full back.

The Full back line IMO should be
Sheridan
Ted
Hannon/Fannin either one

boojangles

No harm to Rory Dunne,he is a good footballer but Drung if you seen him playing with his club last week you wouldnt have him near the panel let alone starting him full back.He hasnt played there all year so how you think he is gonna be ready for a Championship start there is beyond me.
John McCutcheon has been playing well at Right Half back all year,leave him there.Paul the Gunner has played well this year at Centre Half back,thats why I think he should be there.A Championship game is the not the time to be trying boys out,especially in Key positions.
Also how you could pick Brides ahead of Hannon is a joke.Brides did well against Fermanagh-to say he was brilliant is a total exaggeration.I know Hannon seems to be playing below par,but come on,Brides should have been shipped off after 20 mins against Antrim.Hannon has been Cavans best corner back for the last 5 years and was the best player in the Full-Back line in Clones-although thats not saying much.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Good to see a few of you are still interested. A lot of our so-called fans have reverted to type (as have the players by the sounds of things) and aren't travelling for vaious reasons. Drung, I have to disagree also about Dunne. I think he's a very natural footballer but not a FB. Boojangles, he did in fact play FB against Louth and got roasted as he did anytime he played there under Keoghan. Definitely time to give Smith a run at FB. I also disagree Boojangles that it ain't a time for experimenting. All TC's plans have come undone. He did plenty of experimenting in the league but had room for even more. Sheridan and Podge were shown to be weak at FB, Dunne was poor there last year so Smith should've at least come on against Louth. Throw him in I say. I'd have Fanin in for Brides and I'd have had Cahill in for Hannon too if he'd stuck around (more on that later). Hannon may have been our best CB for years but you go on form for the most part surely and he's been mediocre all year, bar the Limerick match.
Is Walsh def out by the way? I also wouldn't have Larry on from the start. He gets the crowd going alright because he's liable to do anything-still unreliable even at 31 or whatever he is.
As for Cahill and Mulvey, I'm sure I'm going to get abuse for this so I'll put it as a question rather than a statement. Why would an inter-county footballer train hard for 6 months and then pack it in a week before what may be the county's last game? Now of course I don't know all the details, but all things being equal, why not stick at it? Especially given the poor form and injuries in these lads' respective positions. I don't rate Mulvey and I find it hard to watch or listen to him but we could've used him on Saturday. Ditto Cahill who has been slightly hard done by. The Cavan way I reckon is the answer. At least when he headed for Chicago he had some sort of reason. Concentrating on his club? They don't have a game for at least two weeks.
Anyway, rant over as our sporadic poster would say. I'll be heading South East with no expectations for a last look at the Breffni this year possibly.

put-it-up

I too agree that Dunne should not be FB. Dont get me wrong, I think he will eventually inherit the number 3 jersey but at 19 years old, he is still abit naive and a bit too nice. More experienced forwards can bully him. At the minute his best chance of a game is at WB, but McCutcheon and Flanagan would be my choices there.

He impressed me with the u21'S and I know a couple of the young lads from my own club think very highly of him.

On the point on the lads walking away, I couldnt agree more with you Lawrence. I remember reading an article in the Post this time last year questioning why lads would leave the panel after training for so long. It really doesn't make sense. At the end of the day, they are another bite at the cherry.

Cahill I would have started this Sat but to be fair, the management clearly dont think much of him. Mulvey, well I dont rate him, but something has gone on behind the scenes that I would love to know more about

Drung

QuoteAlso how you could pick Brides ahead of Hannon is a joke.Brides did well against Fermanagh-to say he was brilliant is a total exaggeration.I know Hannon seems to be playing below par,but come on,Brides should have been shipped off after 20 mins against Antrim.Hannon has been Cavans best corner back for the last 5 years and was the best player in the Full-Back line in Clones-although thats not saying much.

Boojangles, by your own admission, you haven't seen much of Cavan this year. I've seen almost every game and Michael Hannon has been poor in most. Like I said, a class player who I thought a couple of years ago was actually the answer to our problems at full-back, but he's way off-form at the moment.
Brides was poor against Antrim but generally he's been solid this year. Martin McHugh said on TV after the Fermanagh game that he thougth he was the best defnder on the pitch that day.
Either way, it's a close call and I hope whoever plays can do the job. They both come across as fellas with great attitude so good luck to them both.
Put it up, did you see Dunne at full-back for the Cavan minors two years ago? He was outstanding. Obviously it's a massive, massive step up but you say yourself that he will be senior full-back for years to come - why not throw him in now?
Boojangles, didn't see Dunne in that game you were at. I'm not saying he's Darren Fay but he's big, young and can play football, why not give him a go?
Ted didn't set the world alight for the Cavan juniors, and neither did Fannin, when they really should have been staking a claim for a senir spot. Both were in the full-back line on a team that conceded 3-15 against a junior side that evening and I'd say that made up the management's minds.
Paul Brady had one super game at centre-back v Roscommon but didn't play there otherwise. He has to start, but I think he's better at wing-back, where has always been very good for Cavan. McCutcheon is more of a stopper in my opinion and could do a job in the centre.
Anyone going? I'll be there. Long spin.

boojangles

I agree that McCutcheon could do more of a job as a stopper and maybe hold the middle better but he is playing well at Half Back and gives a good attacking option.its his first year playing Championship,so id let him get his confidence up and let him keep progressing.Centre half maybe next year. I agree that Hannon seems to be playing within himself but IMO that is still better than Brides can play.Brides was an outstanding Wing half back when he first came on to the scene but I just think he hasnt been near the same since that horror leg break.
Believe me I would be travelling,I know I missed a few League games,the interest isnt what it used to be but I rarely miss a Championship match.Its hard to know what to expect really.Fingers crossed.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Roadwatch says 3 hours so with the massive crowd  ;) maybe best to leave at 3. I'd say 4 o'clock from Cavan Town. See the first half of the slog in Clones and then head wondering why you bothered.

put-it-up

McCutcheon defo out RednBlack? Big loss!

Not overly surprised by Cullivan at MF, little other options it seems. Is Larry actually 14? He has a big point to prove if so!

Any other info?

mylestheslasher

Cullivan will struggle in the middle. Thats where wicklow are strong as they have two hig hoors in their, Walsh from Carlow being one and I forget the other lads name. Be better to put Givney in there. I'm afraid to say I think Wicklow will win this. I'll be there anyway.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: RednBlack on July 09, 2009, 12:07:30 AM
McCutcheon gone - hamstring
Larry - FF
Cullivan midfield
Gibney - doubtful

Got the full team RNB?

put-it-up

Quote from: RednBlack on July 09, 2009, 09:05:13 AM
no. from what i was told from a player he suspects dunne in the corner but may change with mccutcheon gone. gunner CB. walsh and cullivan in middle. got told gibney pulled out with injury during training. flanagan at wing back. fannin may be a surprise. brady, reilly and keating unsure if they got in. larry FF. hope pierson gets nod for the corner. Martin Cahill trained but no Mulvey

update: dunne on wing, brides in corner, keating WF with Brady CF, Pierson in corner and Reilly, Mackey off........gets stranger by the hour....what does Keating have to do to be dropped........the boy better produce this weekend

Ah RnB, i can't tell you how much I hope you are wrong.

Fair enough if Brides starts due to a lack of alternatives but if Cahill is back I would like him to start ahead of him with Dunne at WB.
I know I have said I want Flanagan put back into the HB line, but not if it means Sean Brady has to play CF. Am I the only person that thinks he is useless??

Keating, because of his relationship wit Niall Lynch over the years in school and CuCu's, seem that he can do no wrong. He has been mediocre all year with both the U21's and seniors. He needs to deliver this weekend and show what he can do. There is no doubt he has talent but he has now gotta show it. Let's be having you Eugene.

For me Mackey has to start.

We talked about having no targetman the last day, so if Cullivan is MF and Givney is injured we definetly wont be hitting in high balls.

PS. What's happened to Galligan?? Don't think he deserves to be dropped. Would keep him MF and put Ray WF or FF

Team is not officaily out yet anyway, must be giving the injured fella;s as much time as possible

put-it-up

Just saw the Hoganstand.

Carr delays team selection

Cavan manager Tommy Carr has delayed selecting his starting 15 for this Saturday's All-Ireland SFC qualifier against Wicklow.

The Tipperary man was due to announce his team after a training session at Kingspan Breffni Park last night (Wednesday), but knocks picked up by three members of the squad during last night's session have saw the team selection for Saturday's trip to Aughrim postponed.

Carr is now set to assess the fitness of John McCutcheon, Ciaran Galligan and David Givney before revealing his side that will take on the Garden men, which means the team could well be left to be named hours before the throw-in at 7.00pm.

If those 3 are injured, our squad will looked pretty poor. That would bring us down to about 21 players I reckon!!

cavanmaniac

Quote from: put-it-up on July 09, 2009, 04:00:09 PM
I am really starting to worry about team selection.

Sean Brady plays CF (absolutely baffling)...

Agree to an extent, Sean Brady can contribute well on his day but he's very erratic and hasn't really done anything to hang on to his shirt for this game IMO, he started reasonably against Antrim but was anonymous thereafter. He clipped a few scores v Fermanagh alright but as far as I can gather, wasn't great generally speaking.

He played very well for Cavan against Down in that replay in Newry under Keogan and prior to that in a qualifier against Kildare in Newbridge in the dying days of the McElkennon 'era' but that's about it, to my recall. Perhaps Lyng is good for a second half or so and is being held in reserve?

Either way, we're in for a rough ride in Aughrim make no mistake about it, Wicklow are limited enough mind you and we should be something of a wounded animal and well wound up. If we come out flat and play poorly again or fail to rouse ourselves, it'll be a serious question mark over Carr's tenure already and will leave us at a total crossroads once more, incredible though that sounds not even 12 months since he took over. But that's the reality as I see it. I'd bite the hand off anyone offering me a one-point win right now to get the thing back on the rails.

GaelicGames.In

Hi there,
I'm trying to put together a list of all the recent Cavan footballers and their clubs. Can any one help by adding in the first names and the clubs?
(Please can you keep an eye out for players with the same first initals eg P Canavan could either of the Tyrone footballers so dont just change it to Peter or Pascal - could you just add a note to say that)

A   Donohoe   
G   Sheridan   
E   Jackson   
T   Prior   
A   Forde   
J   Doonan   
P   Reilly   
C   Clarke   
B   McCrudden   
P   Galligan   
John   Tierney   
R   Cunningham   
Michael   Graham   
Jason   O'Reilly   
Finbarr   O'Reilly   
R   Rogers   
B   Morris   
F   Reilly   
Dermot   McCabe   
C   McCarey   
H   Smith   
L   Reilly   
Michael   Brides   
R   Donohoe   
E   Reilly   
Colm   Hannon   
Cathal   Collins   
P   McKenna   
Gerald   Pierson   
C   Nelligan   
B   Corrigan   
P   Kermath   
James   Reilly   
B   McGahon   
Mark   McKeever   
Patrick   Brady   
Sean   Maguire   
K   Fannin   
E   King   
John   Clarke   
J   McNally   
J   Jordan   
Michael   Hannon   
D   Prior   
Sean   Brady   
E   Elliott   
Darren   Rabbitt   
Karl   Crotty   
T   Crowe   
S   Smith   
A   Coleman   
R   Galligan   
Darren   Rabbitt   
Nicholas   Walsh   
P   O'Dowd   
Eddie   O'Reilly   
C   McGovern   
Sean   Johnston   
Michael   Lyng   
Anthony   Gaynor   
S   Cole   
Martin   Cahill   
Paul   Brady   
Patrick   Brady   
Lorcan   Mulvey   
Peter   Reilly   
Pauric   Reilly   
P   O'Reilly   
Cian   Mackey   
C   Anderson   
M   Brennan   
G   Duffy   
J   Kiernan   
P   Cahill   
Ronan   Flanagan   
D   McGlade   
C   Mackay   
Eddie   O'Reilly   
Jonathan   Crowe   
D   Thomas   
M   Cunningham   
R   Gallagher   
Martin   Reilly   
Ray   Cullivan   
Ciaran   Galligan   
Dermot   Sheridan   
John   Clarke   
Keith   Fannin   
John   McCutcheon   
D   Rooney   
David   Givney   
Mark   McKeever   
Rory   Donohoe   
Martin   Reilly   
Ryan   McCormack   
A   Clarke   
A   Fitzpatrick   
John   McCutcheon   
Barry   Watters   
Rory   Dunne   
J   Cunningham   
M   McDonald   
E   McCormack   
A   Reilly   
P   Gumley   
D   O'Dowd   
Fintan   Reilly   
David   Givney   
E   Keating   
C   Smith   

Bongo

Here is a start Gaelic Games.in

Aaron   Donohoe    Belturbet
Gerry   Sheridan    Bailieborough ( There was also a Gerry Sheridan from Mullahoran in the Early 90's)
Edward   Jackson   Drumgoon
Thomas   Prior   Swandlinbar
Anthony   Forde   Shannon Gaels/ Cavan Gaels
James   Doonan   Cavan Gaels
Peter   Reilly   Knockbride ( or Pauric Reilly Ballinagh)
Charles   Clarke   Bailieborough
Barry   McCrudden   Ballyhaise
Paul  Galligan   Ballinagh
John   Tierney   Knockbride
Raymond    Cunningham   Kingscourt / Kilmainhamwood
Michael   Graham   Cavan Gaels
Jason   O'Reilly   Belturbet
Finbarr   O'Reilly   Lacken
Rapheal   Rogers   Knockbride
Bernard   Morris   Gowna
F   Reilly   
Dermot   McCabe   Gowna
Conor   McCarey   Kill
Hubert   Smith   Denn
Larry   Reilly   Knockbride
Michael   Brides   Redhills / St. Vincents
Rory   Donohoe Belturbet
Eddie   Reilly   Mullahoran (or Eamonn Reilly Cavan Gaels)
Colm   Hannon   Drumgoon
Cathal   Collins   Cavan Gaels
Pierce   McKenna   Kill
Gerald   Pierson   Gowna
Cormac   Nelligan   Cavan Gaels
B   Corrigan   
Philip   Kermath  Ramor Utd.
James   Reilly   Drung
B   McGahon   
Mark   McKeever   Gowna
Patrick   Brady   Gowna
Sean   Maguire