Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Pain

Next Saturday is a severe test of the character of the current crop of players. At this stage one would hope that the cockiness of each individual has subsided and they realise that they are not the superstars they thought they were. Well, hopefully. They will have to be humble if they are to overcome a Wicklow side that will have the support of most of the country due to their rags to, eh, small profit story. It is the only way they will progress. Cavan are not great, let's be honest. However in this Pain dude's opinion they are not as bad as the display they gave against Antrim. There will be no prediction made before this game. Rant over!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

Denn Forever

Quote from: North Longford on July 06, 2009, 03:31:03 PM
Was speaking to a fella today who has a bit of insider knowledge on the squad and he was told it has gone a bit down hill since the Antrim game. Fellas not turning up for training etc etc.......

I suppose the performance on Saturday will show the validity of the above comment.

IF it is true, Hopefully the lads on the field will give it everything they've got.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: put-it-up on July 06, 2009, 02:31:02 PM
also heard Killygarry won the u14 All-Ireland Feile...Good to see a club doing something right at underage level. Red n Black, would be interested to know what exactly the club is putting in their water? ;D Only joking, the coaches must be doing something right up there.

Congratulations lads

Congratulations to RednBlack and Killygarry,Its a terrific achievement to win an All Ireland title.
at the recent Coaching Conference Killygarry had an army of volunteers/coaches there compared to other clubs,They are certainly putting the work in underage.

I know the Gaels won their division about 10 years ago down in waterford
and Baileborough have competed well in recent times. They won one and lost two narrowly in this years.

Babe Ruth 47

Well done RednBlack, wonderful achievement. Were you involved by any chance, you seemed very quiet over the weekend?

put-it-up

trim blue

RednBlack fantastic achievement by all concerned
ah sure tog out anyway

jimjim

Heard the transfer of Mark Little to Cavan Gaels is to be completed this week.

boojangles

Congrats RedN Black,great achievement.A win like that can keep a young bunch of footballers together until at least Minor level,and has also given them that winning feeling,which is vital at Underage.
Martin Cahill has definitely left the panel.wanted to concentrate on his club.Hard to know what to think there.He hasnt been given much of a chance this year.
My earlier reports of Lyng were proved untrue,he did not travel with the Gaels for the wkend away.
Id expect a few changes for Saturday. For what its worth here would be my moves-
Gunner in Centre Half
Fannin in for Brides
Lyng in for Sean Brady
Givney in for Keating

Miller
Hannon
Sheridan
Fannin
McCutcheon
Brady
Flanagan
Galligan
Cullivan
Mackey
Lyng
Martin Reilly
Jelly
Givney
Pierson/Larry

I would hope for a much improved performance from our Full-Back but I wouldnt be confident.Flanagan needs to be given a position and let him stay there. People can say what they like about Cullivan being too small for MF but I dont know of anybody else in the County that can field a ball as well as him.His judgement in the air is superb.Shane Ryan worked at MF for the Dubs and he is only 6ft.He couldnt be any worse than Walsh against Antrim,who may be injured anyway. Givney done well when introduced and he deserves his chance.He is aware and hopefully can break a few down for Jelly. Lyng seems to be moving well,he played well with his club last week and deserves a chance.Paul the Gunner has to be a cert for Centre Half. I don't know the situation with Pierson,hopefully he is still there.If not,Larry would give Wicklow something to worry about.

tierworker blue

Quote from: boojangles on July 07, 2009, 06:32:45 PM

Miller
Hannon
Sheridan
Fannin
McCutcheon
Brady
Flanagan
Galligan
Cullivan
Mackey
Lyng
Martin Reilly
Jelly
Givney
Pierson/Larry

That's the team I'd start as well...you just beat me to it Boojangles! I think Cullivan could bring some fight / energy to midfield and Givney deserves a chance...I like the cut of his jib (does anyone even say that anymore?!) so far. Gunner at chb is important too methinks. It would be great to see Lyng on, and playing well, spraying some intelligent ball about the forwards.
With the right attitude, it's a game that can be won, and would put us back on track to improving things. Wicklow won't be found wanting in the motivation stakes, but I believe we have the better footballers (yeah...I know that's what we said before the Antrim game!) so if the lads get their finger out, they are in with a good shout. As we have all said previously, this game will tell a lot!

Ps...congrats to Killygarry...well done to all involved.

Denn Forever

Sorry that Martin has left the panel.  I suppose he looked what was before him (what has happened up to now) and didn't see himself playing. Pity.

Wouldn't be that close to the club, but don't see how much can be done before the end of the year.  But hope springs eternal.

Well done Killygarry.  Must be all the goodness that flows from Sliabh Glah that fortifies you.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavan4ever

Quote from: RednBlack on July 07, 2009, 10:31:02 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on July 07, 2009, 09:53:52 PM
Sorry that Martin has left the panel.  I suppose he looked what was before him (what has happened up to now) and didn't see himself playing. Pity.

Wouldn't be that close to the club, but don't see how much can be done before the end of the year.  But hope springs eternal.

Well done Killygarry.  Must be all the goodness that flows from Sliabh Glah that fortifies you.
ha ha ha the Lavey boys will now try and take credit? Is that what your saying   ;D

Mulvey gone too.......that fairly reduces down the pack weight!!!!

Wont make any difference anyway the way things were going for him in there.

Celt_Man

Best of luck to the boys on Saturday - I'll be there anyway athough I presume all the "sunshine supporters" who left long before Cavan got their goal against Antrim won't make the trip...
Just a worrying point that some of the boys have only played one league game since the Antrim game and it's hard to judge whether there was any intensity to it.  I see both Mayo and Galway had club championship at the weekend despite playing in the Connacht Final this Sunday so I ask the question why couldn't Cavan had played the second round of club championship last weekend as well?
We had a bye in the first round so still haven't played a game obviously and if Cavan win on Saturday then it won't be played till August at the earliest....
We played Drung last Wednesday the 1st of July our first competitive game since the 25th April against Ballyhaise.... if the Championship doesn't get played till August Cootehill will have played 2 competitive games during the months of May, June and July - How in the name of jaysus is club football supposed to improve with that going on???? All the while Cavan will have only played 3 games so it's not like they will have gone on some amazing run with a couple of replays thrown in...
I would hazard to say that this gap of no games for club players contributes big time to the negativity surrounding the county side...
By the way, I'm not just lamenting my own club, I would say that there is plenty of clubs in a similar boat - obviously other teams who had a bye in the first round
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

put-it-up

Quote from: tierworker blue on July 07, 2009, 07:47:02 PM
Quote from: boojangles on July 07, 2009, 06:32:45 PM

Miller
Hannon
Sheridan
Fannin
McCutcheon
Brady
Flanagan
Galligan
Cullivan
Mackey
Lyng
Martin Reilly
Jelly
Givney
Pierson/Larry

Id like to see Ted given a chance at FB to be honest last. From what I hear Dermot is very dedicated and I do rate him but I feel Smith needs a chance.
Agree with the half-back line.
In midfield I would start Givney there and Ray at 14. Cullivan is more accomplished at point-taking. However what I like about this is the fact they can switch in games and when Givney goes in, that will give Wicklow something to think about. David does seem to have a knack for goals from FF which I like.
I go back to the Wexford challenge game I was at ages ago. Ray drifted out and was exceptional and left oceans of room for Seanie and Martin. Was effective, as Cavan kept playing diagonal balls. When Cullivan's man start sweeping, he went back in on the square and Cavan pumped ball into him, which he fielded impressively.

Also would like Larry to start, he looked very sharp the last day.

put-it-up

By the way, how long is it from Bailieborough to Aughrim roughly?

I think i'll need a packed lunch ;D

Drung

I'm not a fan of martin Reilly, he's very average from play and is ridiculously light. I mean there's small light and hardy players, but he's extremely weak for inter-county senior football and you can't afford to have a player like that unless he's exceptional.
He's also not that great a free-taker - he got a couple of nice ones against Fermanagh but he was hopeless from frees against Antrim. For that reason I'd drop him and bring in Larry - I would always start Larry because he takes the game to the opposition, has experience and gets the crowd rose and behind the team.

Mulvey and Walsh are out, so it has to be Cullivan at midfield, I would try Givney at full-forward, we have nothing to lose by throwing him in there, he's had a few months since the Longford and Tipp games when he last featured at FF.
He scored a hat-trick for the Cavan juniors in that position against a very good Louth team, and marking their senior full-back Ciaran Goss.

I would have liked to see Cahill thrown in but he's gone now so I'd bring McCutcheon to centre-back with Flanagan and Gunner on the wings. Dunne should be full back along with Hannon/Brides/Fannin/Sheridan - any two. If things are going wrong at 3, bring on Ted. Brides was brilliant against Fermanagh remember, while Hannon, who I rate highly, has been off the pace ever since his injury.

So my team would be

James Reilly

Sheridan
Dunne
Brides/Hannon - I'd give Brides the nod.

Brady
McCutcheon
Flanagan

Galligan
Cullivan

Larry Reilly
Lyng
Mackey

Johnston
Givney
Pearson

Regradless, it's going to be very tough. Hopefully we get a big performance and a win.