Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: trim blue on July 01, 2009, 11:57:41 PM
Boojangles good stuff about under age there, on a more optimistic note I was down with our Trim Under 10's at a blitz in Navan before heading to Clones and Laragh and Baileboro had teams in it, Baileboro in particular ran rings round us and it was obvious that great time was being put into them as their basic ball skills, agility, balance, teamwork were really impressive. Having said that the point about under age is that from what I can see even though Under 10 has no competition their is still more focus on games and winning which ends up being at the expense of developing the basic skills during planned training. I know one of the other problems in Trim, and I'm sure its the same at home, is that the primary schools are doing less football as teachers are not in a position or won't give the amount of time needed as was the case in the past ( the auld priests and Christian Bros were good for something) and the involvement of the schools is crucial in giving kids a grounding in the basics as it can't be left to the clubs alone who only have them for a couple of months of the year anyway.

Thats definitely true.Gaelic isnt near as big in schools anymore and teachers aren't in a position to coach it in most cases.Myself and the brother were doing a bit of Coaching in my clubs only real school for the last few months and it was the only bit of Gaelic coaching they had got in a few years. In my day in National school nearly everybody played with some club-nowadays Id say only about a third of schoolkids in some schools play Gaelic with a club.Soccer and Rugby are becoming more and more of a an attractive option for kids to play.
Not suprised to hear about Laragh or Bailieboro-Bailieboro are always traditionally strong at Underage while Laragh have really started to improve themselves in the last number of years.They obviously badly neglected things there for a while but good to see a big parish with a winning tradition coming back.

BH Man yous must have kicked 10 wides in the first half and although we had lots of possession in the 2nd,you's always looked like scoring when attacking. Cullivan gave an exhibition of fielding in the 2nd half.Was good battle with him and Peggy in 2nd half but its hard to match Rays power in the air.
I did OK,Im slowly getting back to myself.A fair bit to go yet though.Were you playing yourself,or ya still leaving me guessing? ;) ;)

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: boojangles on July 02, 2009, 12:22:02 AM
Quote from: trim blue on July 01, 2009, 11:57:41 PM
Boojangles good stuff about under age there, on a more optimistic note I was down with our Trim Under 10's at a blitz in Navan before heading to Clones and Laragh and Baileboro had teams in it, Baileboro in particular ran rings round us and it was obvious that great time was being put into them as their basic ball skills, agility, balance, teamwork were really impressive. Having said that the point about under age is that from what I can see even though Under 10 has no competition their is still more focus on games and winning which ends up being at the expense of developing the basic skills during planned training. I know one of the other problems in Trim, and I'm sure its the same at home, is that the primary schools are doing less football as teachers are not in a position or won't give the amount of time needed as was the case in the past ( the auld priests and Christian Bros were good for something) and the involvement of the schools is crucial in giving kids a grounding in the basics as it can't be left to the clubs alone who only have them for a couple of months of the year anyway.

Thats definitely true.Gaelic isnt near as big in schools anymore and teachers aren't in a position to coach it in most cases.Myself and the brother were doing a bit of Coaching in my clubs only real school for the last few months and it was the only bit of Gaelic coaching they had got in a few years. In my day in National school nearly everybody played with some club-nowadays Id say only about a third of schoolkids in some schools play Gaelic with a club.Soccer and Rugby are becoming more and more of a an attractive option for kids to play.
Not suprised to hear about Laragh or Bailieboro-Bailieboro are always traditionally strong at Underage while Laragh have really started to improve themselves in the last number of years.They obviously badly neglected things there for a while but good to see a big parish with a winning tradition coming back.

BH Man yous must have kicked 10 wides in the first half and although we had lots of possession in the 2nd,you's always looked like scoring when attacking. Cullivan gave an exhibition of fielding in the 2nd half.Was good battle with him and Peggy in 2nd half but its hard to match Rays power in the air.
I did OK,Im slowly getting back to myself.A fair bit to go yet though.Were you playing yourself,or ya still leaving me guessing? ;) ;)

No Comment  :P, were you asking McGowan was he BallyhaiseMan on GAABOARD when you were "walking into him"  :D
you really regret leaving your email showing now dont ya?  ;D
dont be worrying Boojangles,i wouldnt know ya that well other than say hello if i met you walking down the street!!!
Im not who you think i am!!!
Ray was terrific as was Eamon and Baz Kelly, anyway that was only the warm up game for the Real Match in Killygarry in a few weeks, time. Sure you lot are crafty feckers, probably trying to lull us into a false sense of security.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 02, 2009, 12:02:12 AM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on July 01, 2009, 10:41:53 PM
Quote from: REDCOL on July 01, 2009, 07:32:19 PM
G Pierson gone now.

Explain please?

Killeshandra beat Knockbride tonight-Knockbride effectively out of the running for promotion. They were 6 ahead and lost by 3. Larry spent most of the game looking for frees. Peter played well but lost the rag with the umpire and behaved disgracefully if I'm honest. Declan McKiernan absoloutely destroyed Tierney fielding-wise at midfield. I see two of our board members were going head-to-head tonight with Boojangles coming out on top.
How is Tierney performing Lawrence, i know he was on the Cavan Juniors but Is he fit,does he have the weight off? im suprised to hear McKiernan roasting him,as while McKiernan is a good player,John Tierney when on form is as good a fielder and player as anyone in the county.
Tierney scored a goal in the first half. He started the move with a great run from inside his own half and was on hand to finish a bit of a scrap in the box. I was very surprised at his speed. But truly McKiernan won about 10 clean kickouts, and I mean cleanly caught, contested and never getting bottled up when he came down with it. If he had a little more pace he'd be a serious prospect. As it is I'd have him in the county. I know he turned down the offer from TC to concentrate on college but now myabe his exams are finished he may be tempted back. He kicked over two savage frees too. One with the outside of the boot from the 45 and the other from the sideline on the 20 metre line in the last minute.
Tierney faded badly in the second half and the younger fitter team ran through them.

Drung

Quotenowadays Id say only about a third of schoolkids in some schools play Gaelic with a club.

Maybe that's the case in towns such as Cavan Town Boojangles but in my experience football is as popular as ever in the rural National Schools. In Bunnoe and Drung for example, all the boys play that I know of.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Drung on July 02, 2009, 12:42:28 PM
Quotenowadays Id say only about a third of schoolkids in some schools play Gaelic with a club.

Maybe that's the case in towns such as Cavan Town Boojangles but in my experience football is as popular as ever in the rural National Schools. In Bunnoe and Drung for example, all the boys play that I know of.

Drung N.S is a soccer school. 

cavan4ever

Watched a bit of the game online there, will i be shot for saying it wasnt quiet as bad as i though from being at the game  :P

Though Galligan played good enough and that if Martin Reilly had of kicked them early frees we could have won.  Any more on this Walsh story with discolated shoulder, i didnt see it but didnt watch it all.

The passing at time though  :(

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 02, 2009, 12:28:27 AM

No Comment  :P, were you asking McGowan was he BallyhaiseMan on GAABOARD when you were "walking into him"  :D
dont be worrying Boojangles,i wouldnt know ya that well other than say hello if i met you walking down the street!!!
Ray was terrific as was Eamon and Baz Kelly, anyway that was only the warm up game for the Real Match in Killygarry in a few weeks, time. Sure you lot are crafty feckers, probably trying to lull us into a false sense of security.

Ah I was only saying hello back to Ciaran after he greeted me!
Im hardly gonna announce my identity on here but I dont really give a f**k to be honest,as Iv said before it wouldnt be too hard to make out who I am.
Yous had some fine performances alright,and going on yesterday we have alot of catching up to do.You's are in serious shape too.
That game should be played in Breifne Park,in 2005 we produced probably the game of the year there.But we'l settle for Killygarry.

Heard today that Lyng has left the County also. The Gaels are heading away for the weekend to Mayo and Lyng is heading. He scored 1-3 against Redhills last nite.
Any other scores from League games played last nite?

boojangles

Quote from: boojangles on June 18, 2009, 02:23:32 PM

--Boojangles does not think Micky Lyng is 'trading on his name' and thinks that we will see the best of him shortly
--Boojangles knows that Cavan has not seen near the best of Gerald Pierson in a while but feels that the time is getting close

If reports are correct thats 2 Fingers up to Boojangles and what he thinks anyway.

REDCOL can you confirm anything on Pierson?

cavan4ever

Quote from: boojangles on July 02, 2009, 07:07:08 PM

--Boojangles does not think Micky Lyng is 'trading on his name' and thinks that we will see the best of him shortly
--Boojangles knows that Cavan has not seen near the best of Gerald Pierson in a while but feels that the time is getting close

If reports are correct thats 2 Fingers up to Boojangles and what he thinks anyway.

TC seems to like pissing off our big name players.  The McCabe stories and now Lyng and Pierson supposed to be gone.

boojangles

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 02, 2009, 07:09:17 PM

TC seems to like pissing off our big name players.  The McCabe stories and now Lyng and Pierson supposed to be gone.

Ah I just don't know what to think anymore.Nothing would amaze me anymore when it comes to this county. Like surely after Keating was moved from Centre Back and then to Centre Forward,surely Lyng should have replaced him then?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 02, 2009, 07:09:17 PM

You could be right C4E or maybe we're just re-living the days of Liam Austin. Still, Lyng and Pierson have serious potential  ;)

Celt_Man

I'm beginning to worry about Carr to be honest... Apparently he said at half time that Galligan was carrying them out there and yes Galligan was definitely the better of the two mid fielders but carrying them?

And then he told John McCutcheon all along that he wouldn't be playing in the full back line - fair enough thinking, John has never played in the full back line - then 2 minutes before the start of the the game he tells him he is in the corner.... That move baffled me no end it made a wig out of McCutcheon and Brides.  
How many times did we see Brides on the ball on his own moving up the field, clearly uncomfortable/unused to that situation and he took the wrong option/ gave a bad pass every time.  In the very same situations that McCutcheon did so well in throughout the year up to Saturday...  Like I said baffled me
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 02, 2009, 07:37:39 PM
I'm beginning to worry about Carr to be honest... Apparently he said at half time that Galligan was carrying them out there and yes Galligan was definitely the better of the two mid fielders but carrying them?

And then he told John McCutcheon all along that he wouldn't be playing in the full back line - fair enough thinking, John has never played in the full back line - then 2 minutes before the start of the the game he tells him he is in the corner.... That move baffled me no end it made a wig out of McCutcheon and Brides.  
How many times did we see Brides on the ball on his own moving up the field, clearly uncomfortable/unused to that situation and he took the wrong option/ gave a bad pass every time.  In the very same situations that McCutcheon did so well in throughout the year up to Saturday...  Like I said baffled me
Couldn't agree more about McCutcheon. If ever a player could have felt that he deserved his place at wing-back it was John, and then to be put corner back made no sense.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on July 02, 2009, 08:29:46 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on July 02, 2009, 07:37:39 PM

Couldn't agree more about McCutcheon. If ever a player could have felt that he deserved his place at wing-back it was John, and then to be put corner back made no sense.

No sence what so ever  :-\

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: boojangles on July 02, 2009, 06:49:41 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 02, 2009, 12:28:27 AM

Ah I was only saying hello back to Ciaran after he greeted me!
Im hardly gonna announce my identity on here but I dont really give a f**k to be honest,as Iv said before it wouldnt be too hard to make out who I am.
Yous had some fine performances alright,and going on yesterday we have alot of catching up to do.You's are in serious shape too.
That game should be played in Breifne Park,in 2005 we produced probably the game of the year there.But we'l settle for Killygarry.

Heard today that Lyng has left the County also. The Gaels are heading away for the weekend to Mayo and Lyng is heading. He scored 1-3 against Redhills last nite.
Any other scores from League games played last nite?
definetely should be breffini i agree,Killygarry will be packed to the rafters that night.
Belturbet Beat Denn 0-10 to 1-03 or something along those lines.