Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

QuoteCriticise all you want but some of the points you made are more than plain criticism. Ronan Flanagan has been one of Cavans most consistent players over the last few years-yet you reckon he plays one good game followed by 3 bad.Totally wrong. Ronan along with Cullivan and Mackey are 21-22,surely they should be given time before we expect them to be the Heart of out team

I stand over my point about Mackey and Cullivan.  Flanagan is more consitant than the rest of them.   Keating has gone back to play with his club isnt he great, he didnt show them much respect to his team mates and parish earlier in the year by walking out on them.

QuoteYou mention about Galligan your club mate not being consistent enough and with that I probably agree-But name a few names that you think would be an improvement for Cavan?? Because I cant. Well sorry I can but he is no longer playing in Cavan.

Mick McDonald, Dermot McCabe  :P

QuoteYou reckon that the Cavan players should know better than to go to a Cavan nite club the night of a game? As if they should know that they will be ridiculed by former greats. I don't know exactly who was involved or what happened but lets be honest- who should really know better?
nite club?

BallyhaiseMan

Have to disagree on Mick McDonald C4ever, he was very good against what was a poor Antrim team last year,But was absolutely destroyed by Paul McGrane against Armagh.
Dermot McCabe and to a lesser extent Pierce McKenna have been our only consistent midfielders over the past 10 years.
Barry Mac had a terrific year in 2001,but left the county scene very soon after.

Re your point on Cullivan,Mackey,Flanagan,

Flanagan is suffering from his constant moving between the half back and half forward line,
Hes an extremely naturally talented footballer,who if given one position to hold down,will go on and lead this team for the next 10 years.

Antrim had their homework done on Mackey, Against Fermanagh,The Fermanagh backs let him go at times and didnt follow him,and he caused havoc with his ball carrying abilities.
Antrim put Loughrey on him who matched him in pace and who also attacked which led to Mackey spending alot of time chasing his man down the field.
He has been one of the most consistent players over the league and championship this year for me.

Ray missed over a month of training,He hadnt trained in weeks prior to the Louth game,He played well against Fermanagh even though he wasnt close to full fitness,yet he can and will play far better than he did in that game. Anyone knows that if you miss a month of hard training it sets you back a sight, If Cavan can win a game or two in the qualifiers,Then you would see Ray at his best in my opinion.

anglocelt39

C4E just reading some of your posts there brings to mind how often at GAA matches at all levels there's the guy outside the white lines who's giving out the pay on all and sundry that's going on on the pitch, it's only a matter of time before the oft used but still enjoyable retort is heard.........."if ye were any use yid be playin"
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavan4ever

Quote from: anglocelt39 on July 01, 2009, 04:27:50 PM
C4E just reading some of your posts there brings to mind how often at GAA matches at all levels there's the guy outside the white lines who's giving out the pay on all and sundry that's going on on the pitch, it's only a matter of time before the oft used but still enjoyable retort is heard.........."if ye were any use yid be playin"

Did it look good on the widescreen?

cavan4ever

Quote from: Drung on July 01, 2009, 03:39:41 PM

I would also like to see some new teams reach the latter stages of the championship eg Kingscourt, Castlerahan to get a look at more players. This thing of "county U16=county minor=county senior three years later" is nonsense.

That is a sensible post.

boojangles

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 01, 2009, 04:39:12 PM
Quote from: Drung on July 01, 2009, 03:39:41 PM

I would also like to see some new teams reach the latter stages of the championship eg Kingscourt, Castlerahan to get a look at more players. This thing of "county U16=county minor=county senior three years later" is nonsense.

That is a sensible post.
I agree. Made more or less the same point myself a while back. Cavan has a very very bad habit of continuing with players on County teams basically because they made a name for themselves 3 or 4 years ago and even though it is clear to all that they are no longer cutting it, for some reason or another they are still picked. We all know who Im talking about.Cavan had 3 players that fall into this category IMO starting on Saturday. Its not the players fault.Its the people over the team who are picking these players and giving them umpteen chances.
We also have a bad habit with picking Young lads coming through from Minor or U-21 when if they bothered their arse going out and watching Club games they would find lads who are more than capable of making the breakthrough if given the same chances.

boojangles

Quote from: RednBlack on July 01, 2009, 05:34:59 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on July 01, 2009, 03:09:50 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on July 01, 2009, 03:02:37 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on July 01, 2009, 02:03:41 PM
Cavan County Board have being involed in coaching some of these players for over 10 years so i dont know how they will try and coach them how to coach kids  :D

Would you have any proposals to improve or modify Bongo's suggestion?

I would have them go into the schools.
All primary schools have access to GAA Coaching so this area is covered. The clubs are the key. Coaches working in schools have access to all the children but like any PE class there will be a large portion with no interest in or will ever play GAA. Its better to take the opportunity of getting than not as you can be sure if the GAA pull out the FAI will fly in after them and are already trying to squeeze out the GAA.

Every club needs to stand back and totally re-evaluate their coaching structures.

How many of your current underage coaches have completed the introduction course to coaching and the Child Protection part?
How many are coaching and allowed coach a)because they are a parent or b) sure he was a great player in his day
I fully understand how hard it is to get people involved but a lot of the time parents are nervous to put themselves forward if new to the area or if a dominant figure is doing it his way because he has been doing it for years.

Go and watch your Under 8 and 10s train and see what they are doing. Is it focused on Agility and Coordination or are they playing 15 a side games with 10 subs looking on. Go and look at other counties websites to see how far their underage boards have progressed. In fairness the full time coaches in Cavan are pushing this but they lack support form the clubs and the attendances on courses is dismal. The Ulster Coaching Conference this year attracted 463 coaches from all over the province. 6 attended from Cavan. 93 from Tyrone. Are we really that far ahead that none of our coaches have a need for education?

Have a read below as to what is laid out in the National Strategic Plan and see if your club fits the criteria or will be able to? The unwritten bit is that all coaches will have the Introduction course as a minimum qualification. This is all available from the GAA website or the Ulster Council site.

Year Children (aged under 12)                                   Youths Age (aged 13-18)
2010         'Award 1' coach: one per team.                                       'Award 1' coach: one per team.
2011         'Award 1' coach: two per team                                        'Award 1' coach: two per team.
2012         All coaches to have achieved 'Award 1' level.                      All coaches to have achieved 'Award 1' level.
               Each club/school to have one 'Award 2' coach.                   Each club/school to have one 'Award 2' coach.
2015         Each club/school to have two 'Award 2' coaches.                Each club/school to have two 'Award 2' coaches.
               Each club/school to have one 'Award 3' coach.                   Each club/school to have one 'Award 3' coach.

As Mr Pain would say rant over but I would implore all GAA loving members to get involved with their clubs at grassroots, become a coach and get the building blocks right. This process of directed and proper coaching got started in Tyrone circa 1993 or so and did not breed success overnight. We have to start somewhere to make a change.

You mention the Introduction Course-I presume thats the Foundation Level course?
Also Award 1-is that the same as Level 1 and so on?
There are a good few with the Foundation done in my club including myself. There are 3 or 4 with the Level 1 done.

mylestheslasher

The debate about training at club underage is still raging I see. When I was a young lad of around 23/24 playing a bit of senior football with Killeshandra I was asked to train our U12's and U13 teams. I was asked because I played a bit of ball, had an interest in the club and mainly because no "adult/parent" could be arsed volunteering. No one mentioned anything about training courses to me at the time and I had no clue how you'd even go about getting on one. I did have a mate at the time who had done some courses when he was based in Dublin. I remember borrowing some training books from his course and inviting him to take a few sessions to see what the done thing was back then. I found them good and so did the young lads. We asked the same guy to share some of his training drills with some of the U14, U16, minor coaches and called a session to do that. 50% bothered to come and of that most of them just chatted and paid no heed - they knew it all. That year I remember a very prominent member of Killeshandra club telling me that the U12 team I was taking were no addition and would do well to win a game. Instead that team were the 1st underage team in aound 10 yrs in the club to contest a county final and included Declan McKiernan, Thomais Reilly, Daragh Tighe and Patrick King. The back bone of the current senior team. I put that down to the training methods we used. The point I am reaffirming is that underage training methods is incredibly important. About time all clubs recognised that.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: REDCOL on July 01, 2009, 07:32:19 PM
G Pierson gone now.

Explain please?

Killeshandra beat Knockbride tonight-Knockbride effectively out of the running for promotion. They were 6 ahead and lost by 3. Larry spent most of the game looking for frees. Peter played well but lost the rag with the umpire and behaved disgracefully if I'm honest. Declan McKiernan absoloutely destroyed Tierney fielding-wise at midfield. I see two of our board members were going head-to-head tonight with Boojangles coming out on top.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on July 01, 2009, 10:41:53 PM
G Pierson gone now.

Explain please?

Yeah when you go to bother of posting you may aswell tell the whole story.

boojangles

G Pierson gone now.

Explain please?

Killeshandra beat Knockbride tonight-Knockbride effectively out of the running for promotion. They were 6 ahead and lost by 3. Larry spent most of the game looking for frees. Peter played well but lost the rag with the umpire and behaved disgracefully if I'm honest. Declan McKiernan absoloutely destroyed Tierney fielding-wise at midfield. I see two of our board members were going head-to-head tonight with Boojangles coming out on top.

What?? Badly misinformed Lawrence-Ballyhaise kicked us off the field,winning 3-7 to 0-7.Game was on 25 minutes before we realised we were in a game.Too late because we were 1-6 to 0-0 down.Ballyhaise should have won by 20 points.

Whats this about Pierson??

Lawrence of Knockbride

Shit had the right scoreline but the wrong way around.

trim blue

Boojangles good stuff about under age there, on a more optimistic note I was down with our Trim Under 10's at a blitz in Navan before heading to Clones and Laragh and Baileboro had teams in it, Baileboro in particular ran rings round us and it was obvious that great time was being put into them as their basic ball skills, agility, balance, teamwork were really impressive. Having said that the point about under age is that from what I can see even though Under 10 has no competition their is still more focus on games and winning which ends up being at the expense of developing the basic skills during planned training. I know one of the other problems in Trim, and I'm sure its the same at home, is that the primary schools are doing less football as teachers are not in a position or won't give the amount of time needed as was the case in the past ( the auld priests and Christian Bros were good for something) and the involvement of the schools is crucial in giving kids a grounding in the basics as it can't be left to the clubs alone who only have them for a couple of months of the year anyway.
ah sure tog out anyway

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: boojangles on July 01, 2009, 10:54:44 PM
G Pierson gone now.

Explain please?

What?? Badly misinformed Lawrence-Ballyhaise kicked us off the field,winning 3-7 to 0-7.Game was on 25 minutes before we realised we were in a game.Too late because we were 1-6 to 0-0 down.Ballyhaise should have won by 20 points.

Whats this about Pierson??

i wouldnt say that boojangles, we dominated the first half,but you lads  won the second half and in my opinion only Eamon got two good goals we would have been in trouble, You had a good game yourself especially in the second half  ;)

BallyhaiseMan

G Pierson gone now.

Explain please?

How is Tierney performing Lawrence, i know he was on the Cavan Juniors but Is he fit,does he have the weight off? im suprised to hear McKiernan roasting him,as while McKiernan is a good player,John Tierney when on form is as good a fielder and player as anyone in the county.