Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the salmon of knowledge

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 30, 2009, 12:35:19 AM
To be fair while Martin Reily lost ball in contact and ran into blind alleys on Saturday  he also chased back and put in tackles on the marauding Antrim half backs, Loughrey and Scullion when some of his teammates either werent willing to track back or just were not fit to stay with speed half backs . He also kicked one tremendous point from play.
While he was nowhere near his best,He was one of Cavans better performers on saturday,although thats not saying much.

are you for real???
worst on field IMO

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on June 30, 2009, 11:36:40 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on June 30, 2009, 08:57:05 PM
Quote from: boojangles on June 30, 2009, 01:45:04 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on June 30, 2009, 01:23:14 PM
He look like he hadnt played much football and if he bothered to play with his club it would work to his advantage. 

He played against Gowna in the Championship so he is back playing with them.

Wasnt near the Imperial thank god.Was chatting a few of them Saturday and Sunday and they all were fairly subdued.I certainly wouldnt begrudge them a few pints.

The club Championships will go ahead 2 weeks after Cavan are eliminated from the Qualifiers.
Boojangles could you confirm that this is 100% accurate about the club championships? If we were beaten on Saturday week and the club championship started two weeks later do you know what would be on the weekend in between as that is the date scheduled for the next round of club championships game per the master list? Appreciate if you could clear that up, thanks.

Cavan play July 11th.so 2 weeks from that if we lose.if we win 2 weeks from the 18th.If we win on the 18th then 2 weeks from the 25th or so on.

This is definitely the case,got the text from the one man who is always in the know in my club,he is our County Board delegate also.I would take it as gospel. They have changed from the Master Fixtures already as far as I know. I presume there would be nothing on the weekend in between to give the County players a chance to get back in with their clubs.
Cheers. ;D

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 30, 2009, 08:49:16 PM
The important thing is to learn and react well to this. We really need to go out next day, be up for it and go hard from start to finish. Make some personel changes if neccessary but for f**k sake lets be up for the bloody match! I won't give up all hope just yet even if thats what I felt like on Saturday.

Learn i dont think they will learn much.  Not capable of playing well for two games in a row by the look of things.  They have carried the league form into the championship. 

In other posts i see that people are saying that Galligan is the best of what we have for midfield.  How is this true because he isnt consistant with Drung and often comes out second best as he did against Baileboro in club championship.   

boojangles

Quote from: RednBlack on July 01, 2009, 01:07:09 AM
Quote from: put-it-up on June 30, 2009, 01:54:46 PM
Jaysus I would not begrudge any of them pints at all. I cant stand people criticising players having a few jars after a game.

Just heard a story involving a current players and a former player, having a little bit of handbags!

What date will the club championship be back roughly?
would that be the famous Ronan O'Gara ex midfielder rubbing it Cavan players faces that they could have done with him on Saturday night?? I believe the response was maybe we could but you were the one who walked out. What a p***k. Had so much respect for the man as a footballer but he should learn to f**k off gracefully and tarnish the memories.

Cannot believe that.That is some joke.From looking at him a few weeks ago in Breifni Park,he wouldnt have made any difference.
We just don't have midfielders in the County and at the moment I cant think of anybody who would do much better than Galligan

Drung

Whoa.
McCabe has been scoring pressure frees for Cavan for years - if he was playing he would have slotted those couple that Martin Reilly missed. He can deliver inch perfect 60 metre passes into space (anyone see the ball he gave Pearson v Cuchullains?) - Walsh punts the ball like a rugby player.
Overall, for all his faults, McCabe is a leader. Cavan have very few.
I know he's supposed to be mouthy etc but he's still by far the best midfielder in the county. And he as balls, which a lot of Cavan players lack.
We don't know what went on behind the scenes but it's a sad day when a player like Dermot McCabe is in the stands watching while Cavan turn in one of the worst midfield performances we've seen.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Drung on July 01, 2009, 11:28:13 AM
Whoa.
McCabe has been scoring pressure frees for Cavan for years - if he was playing he would have slotted those couple that Martin Reilly missed. He can deliver inch perfect 60 metre passes into space (anyone see the ball he gave Pearson v Cuchullains?) - Walsh punts the ball like a rugby player.
I know he's supposed to be mouthy etc but he's still by far the best midfielder in the county. And he as balls, which a lot of Cavan players lack.
We don't know what went on behind the scenes but it's a sad day when a player like Dermot McCabe is in the stands watching while Cavan turn in one of the worst midfield performances we've seen.
I agree with the positives that he would bring to the game as you pointed out there but to attribute balls to anybody who mouths off in a nite club about what he could have offered is a bit wide of the mark.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on July 01, 2009, 11:34:29 AM
Whoa.
I agree with the positives that he would bring to the game as you pointed out there but to attribute balls to anybody who mouths off in a nite club about what he could have offered is a bit wide of the mark.

It was wrong of him to mouth off at players in a pub but if the players had of had any brains they wouldnt have gone near that place.

boojangles

Whoa.

Note the Important word in all that-IF. He wasnt there,he made his mind up he didnt want to be there,so your ramblings about what he would have done are immaterial. I seen him give a few fine passes to Pierson against Cuchulainns-yes.That was in a club championship game played at a lethargic pace.If you think McCabe or anybody else for that matter could have got enough time on the ball to pick out inch perfect passes in Clones on Saturday,your dreaming.Dermot McCabe has been a superb servant for Cavan but HE forced the issue and made it clear he didnt want it any more.Now please can we move on.

Cavan4Ever No disrespect to you but your negativity towards the players is totally uncalled for. RedNBlack made the point that until we sort out the Coaching system in the county and start producing Winning underage teams we may forget about winning at Senior level. We are all at fault for this. Instead of bitching about our Senior players,get out and do something that may improve the standard of football in your local area.
We are so far behind in terms of Coaching and even in terms of people wanting to help out at Club level in this county,its no wonder we have been a failure since the 1960s. There is so much wrong in this county from County Board level down to Club level. For years Selectors being picked for County teams not for what they have achieved with their clubs or what coaching experience they have, but because they are Yes men. Jobs for the Boys.
People in Cavan still expect things to happen,instead of making it happen. Like it or not but the only club in Cavan who have done something about it are Cavan Gaels,hence dominating Cavan football for the last decade. Iv seen it in my own club.Massive effort put in by the same individuals with one or two Age groups.It pays dividends but its the other age groups that are neglected and therefore it is hard to keep a constant conveyor belt of talent coming along like the Gaels have done. Fair enough they have got an advantage in terms of numbers but the hard work still has to be put in with 7 and 8 year olds no matter what.
Things are moving slowly in the right direction but its up to individuals in every club in Cavan to put it right.Until then we are going nowhere and the best we can hope for is a once off Ulster win every 20 years or so.

cavan4ever

Quote from: boojangles on July 01, 2009, 01:02:22 PM

Cavan4Ever No disrespect to you but your negativity towards the players is totally uncalled for. RedNBlack made the point that until we sort out the Coaching system in the county and start producing Winning underage teams we may forget about winning at Senior level. We are all at fault for this. Instead of bitching about our Senior players,get out and do something that may improve the standard of football in your local area.
We are so far behind in terms of Coaching and even in terms of people wanting to help out at Club level in this county,its no wonder we have been a failure since the 1960s. There is so much wrong in this county from County Board level down to Club level. For years Selectors being picked for County teams not for what they have achieved with their clubs or what coaching experience they have, but because they are Yes men. Jobs for the Boys.
People in Cavan still expect things to happen,instead of making it happen. Like it or not but the only club in Cavan who have done something about it are Cavan Gaels,hence dominating Cavan football for the last decade. Iv seen it in my own club.Massive effort put in by the same individuals with one or two Age groups.It pays dividends but its the other age groups that are neglected and therefore it is hard to keep a constant conveyor belt of talent coming along like the Gaels have done. Fair enough they have got an advantage in terms of numbers but the hard work still has to be put in with 7 and 8 year olds no matter what.
Things are moving slowly in the right direction but its up to individuals in every club in Cavan to put it right.Until then we are going nowhere and the best we can hope for is a once off Ulster win every 20 years or so.

So i should say that they did their best better luck next time.   

Can we not critise players on the Cavan Thread on GAABOARD.com ?

Bongo

I am extremely disappointed with the performance on saturday. Everything I have been thinking has already been said by one or other of you over the past few days, so I won't repeat it.

I totally agree that the problem with our senior teams is a result of poor underage coaching throughout the county. The sad fact is that the current players on the panel are the best that are available. The only solution is to start at the bottom and work our way up and hopefully produce a crop of good players who are able to compete in 10 to 15 years time. Maybe sooner if we were lucky.

So, here is a mad idea that just occured to me, let me know what yis think!........

There are several GAA players throughout the county at present who, due to the construction industry collapse and general recession, have become unemployed recently. The GAA is a community in itself and should therefore be striving to look after it's own. I believe that this is the perfect opportunity for the county board to get of it's ass and create some employment for these guys.

I suggest that the county board put together a team of about 20/30 coaches, drawn from currently unemployed playing members from all over the county. They should be provided with tuition on how to coach the game to youngsters and then deployed to each club. In this manner the county board can promote a unique "cavan" style of football within each club. Each team will then be singing from the same hymn sheet and in a few years time we would have a good crop of young players, all with a similar background, from which to select our county panel.

It would create a win/win situation for everyone involved.
Unemployed lads would be provided a job
Underage teams, county wide, would get excellant coaching
This would improve the overall standard of the game in the county
The county board would have created something very special
And best of all we would have a decent supply of players for selection to the senior county teams

I really am convinced that this is the best way forward for all........ I must send the idea to the county board!!

cavan4ever

Cavan County Board have being involed in coaching some of these players for over 10 years so i dont know how they will try and coach them how to coach kids  :D

anglocelt39

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 01, 2009, 02:03:41 PM
Cavan County Board have being involed in coaching some of these players for over 10 years so i dont know how they will try and coach them how to coach kids  :D

Would you have any proposals to improve or modify Bongo's suggestion?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavan4ever

Quote from: anglocelt39 on July 01, 2009, 03:02:37 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on July 01, 2009, 02:03:41 PM

Would you have any proposals to improve or modify Bongo's suggestion?

I would have them go into the schools.

boojangles

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 01, 2009, 01:53:14 PM
Quote from: boojangles on July 01, 2009, 01:02:22 PM

So i should say that they did their best better luck next time.   

Can we not critise players on the Cavan Thread on GAABOARD.com ?

Criticise all you want but some of the points you made are more than plain criticism. Ronan Flanagan has been one of Cavans most consistent players over the last few years-yet you reckon he plays one good game followed by 3 bad.Totally wrong. Ronan along with Cullivan and Mackey are 21-22,surely they should be given time before we expect them to be the Heart of out team.IMO they are the 3 brightest footballers we have emerging in Cavan.I know that Cullivan and Flanagan dedicate most of their spare time to make themselves better footballers,they deserve more than having somebody behind a computer making little of their efforts.
You say Eugene Keating should learn some manners and respect and go play with his club.He is playing with his club and I wouldnt mind hearing your reasons again why he should learn respect? Do you know something the rest of us don't about Keating?
You mention about Galligan your club mate not being consistent enough and with that I probably agree-But name a few names that you think would be an improvement for Cavan?? Because I cant. Well sorry I can but he is no longer playing in Cavan.
You reckon that the Cavan players should know better than to go to a Cavan nite club the night of a game? As if they should know that they will be ridiculed by former greats. I don't know exactly who was involved or what happened but lets be honest- who should really know better?
We are all sickened and disappointed by what happened Saturday evening but lets not lose the run of ourselves in our criticism.

Bongo,great Idea but TBH I cant see the County Board giving the go-ahead.They have a number of Full-Time coaches(some of whom are excellent) looking after all areas of the County at schools level,I cant see them paying out more money on top of whats already being committed.But its definitely worth a shot. It may involve a motion being passed at Convention.

Drung

To be fair to Dermot McCabe, there are two sides to every story and I have heard it said that McCabe was both sinned against and sinning. I have heard the management was in the wrong and that McCabe was in the wrong, and my gut feeling is that it was a bit of both.

Sad though. McCabe is still class. He showed in his caemo against Louth in the last league match that he's still a quality player.
By the way, I said McCabe had balls for his temperament and nerve in big games over 14 years in the senior jersey, not for some hearsay on this message board about what he might have said in a pub.

I remember giving out about McCabe about three years ago and a fella said to me "he won't be properly appreciate till he's gone". Prophetic words when you look at last Saturday.
Cavan weren't destroyed at midfield like that when McCabe was there as far as I recall. Plus, he was worth a couple of points from frees, line balls and even play, and gave us an option of a target man on the square.

Hopefully for the good of the county team we'll have our best 15 out next season.

I would also like to see some new teams reach the latter stages of the championship eg Kingscourt, Castlerahan to get a look at more players. This thing of "county U16=county minor=county senior three years later" is nonsense.