Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Anyone hear that Lyng walked out with about two minutes to go Saturday evening?

Id tell Keating to have a bit of manners and go back and play with his club.

put-it-up

Quote from: cavan4ever on June 30, 2009, 11:44:19 AM

C4E, why does KEating need manners?

cavan4ever

Maybe not manners, respect.

put-it-up

C4E, why does he need respect..I have no idea what your talking about!

boojangles

Quote from: cavan4ever on June 30, 2009, 11:44:19 AM

I would love to know what the point is naming the like of Micky Lyng and Gerald Pierson in your 24 and not giving them a run.If they are not fully fit,they should not be in the panel.We missed Lyngs creativity big time.
I heard a while back that Jelly told the Gaels that he may not be around for the latter stages of the Senior Championship.Don't know if its the States and not sure if theres any truth in it,I know his girlfriend is over in New Zealand.
C4Ever don't see the point in criticising Keating really.The lad is only 19 or so and has alot to learn.Im not the biggest fan of him at CHB but lets not get personal. We all know Saturday wasnt good enough but nobody went out to lose on Saturday.There are a few club players on this board including myself and I cant say any of us would do any better than what was shown on Saturday. The 19 lads that played on Saturday were the ones who had put in 3-4 sessions/games a week since January.Its easy to criticise from behind a computer.Im as guilty as anybody for being over critical,I suppose we just have to keep the faith and hope that Saturday was a once off,and that everybody will learn from it-especially the Management.

put-it-up

yep in fairness to then they do give up an awful lot of time, on a voluntary basis, so it is hard to properly slate them. It's not as if they are being paid thousands for their troubles you know?

Did Keating react badly to being taken off or something?
Still cant believe they actually put him in FF for a while!! Where did that notion come from!

Heard there was a bit of argy bargy in the imperial on Saturday!

cavan4ever

He look like he hadnt played much football and if he bothered to play with his club it would work to his advantage. 

boojangles

Quote from: cavan4ever on June 30, 2009, 01:23:14 PM
He look like he hadnt played much football and if he bothered to play with his club it would work to his advantage. 

He played against Gowna in the Championship so he is back playing with them.

Wasnt near the Imperial thank god.Was chatting a few of them Saturday and Sunday and they all were fairly subdued.I certainly wouldnt begrudge them a few pints.

The club Championships will go ahead 2 weeks after Cavan are eliminated from the Qualifiers.

put-it-up

Jaysus I would not begrudge any of them pints at all. I cant stand people criticising players having a few jars after a game.

Just heard a story involving a current players and a former player, having a little bit of handbags!

What date will the club championship be back roughly?

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up on June 30, 2009, 01:54:46 PM
Jaysus I would not begrudge any of them pints at all. I cant stand people criticising players having a few jars after a game.

Just heard a story involving a current players and a former player, having a little bit of handbags!

Cavan play July 11th.so 2 weeks from that if we lose.if we win 2 weeks from the 18th.If we win on the 18th then 2 weeks from the 25th or so on.
Thank God theres a bit of certainty anyway.
Drinks In,Wits out.

Denn Forever

Didn't know that Liam Bradley was the Derry Bradley's Da.

Makes interesting reading.

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on June 30, 2009, 11:39:49 AM
Antrim feel benefits of the love of the game

Against the Breeze
By Paddy Heaney
30/06/09

Liam Bradley's success in steering Antrim into their first Ulster Senior Football final in 39 years was laced with irony.

The day before Antrim created history in Clones the GPA announced that a media ban will be enforced during this year's Leinster Football and Munster Hurling finals.

Liam Bradley and his Antrim players must have scratched their heads when they heard this news. Bradley and his happy Saffrons inhabit a very different world.

This was evident in the immediate aftermath of Antrim's victory over Donegal in Ballybofey when Bradley let rip on the journalists who enforced their own media ban on his players ahead of the game.

In typically 'Baker' fashion, the Glenullin man asked where all their microphones were the previous Tuesday when journalists from just two newspapers (The Irish News and The Andersonstown News) attended Antrim's press night.

The snub was keenly felt. Press nights are good for managers because it allows all interviews to be completed in one fell swoop and it's good for journalists because there's no need to spend hours tracking down players on their mobile phones.

A bit of media coverage is one of the small perks of playing for Antrim. The players don't crave the attention, but it is appreciated by their family, friends and clubs. An interview is something that can be kept in the attic, proof that granda used to play for the county.

The typical Belfast

inter-county footballer has got little in common with some of his city counterparts in Dublin and Cork.

James Loughrey is a good example. At that press night in Creggan, Loughrey revealed how he turned his back on a career in basketball because all his friends played for St Brigid's. A gifted athlete, Loughrey graduated to the county senior team, but only to become the butt of the jokes and jibes from those same loyal friends.

Like his Antrim team-mates, James Loughrey plays football for the love of the game. There is nothing else. No sponsorship deals, cheques for appearances, or financial incentives to join other clubs.

The GAA in Dublin is a very different animal. Last week I was speaking to a club footballer living and playing in Dublin. His latest club provides him free accommodation and pays him E300 a week.

Then we wonder why there are individuals in Dublin who have signed for three different clubs, all within a 15-minute drive of each other.

In an environment where the GAA is acting as a revenue stream, it's not surprising that some people now hold a topsy-turvy view of what it's all about. If a footballer is getting a signing on fee, then of course he'll believe that: 'it's not what you can do for your club, but what your club can do for you.'

Those who believe that the GAA owe them a living would feel bewildered that Bradley is not getting paid to manage Antrim. And don't take my word for it.

Antrim chairman John McSparran made an unequivocal statement to this newspaper a few months ago, stating Bradley is not being remunerated for his services.

Nope. The real reason Liam Bradley is managing Antrim is because, one day, he wants to manage his native Derry. He has already been overlooked for the job twice.

But Bradley is refusing to go away. As Derry manager, he would have two sons on the team. This can pose problems. There would also have been some confusion over his ability to do the job. When he led Glenullin to the county title in 2007, some of the credit was attributed to Kevin Madden, who Liam brought in to assist him. There may also have been some doubts about Bradley's temperament. He's no lamb, and he'll say exactly what he thinks to anyone.

A lesser man might have simply accepted that the Derry job was always going to remain beyond his grasp.

But by taking the Antrim post, Bradley set out to prove that he can manage a county team, and that he can do it successfully. Now, his stock is soaring and his detractors must view him in a different light.

Antrim have played 11 League and Championship games this year and lost just once. They've gained promotion from Division Four and have progressed to the last 12 teams in the All-Ireland Championship.

Bradley deserves huge credit. His strength of personality lies at the heart of his success.

Weak, insecure managers surround themselves with weak, insipid, 'yes' men. A strong manager likes to surround himself with strong people, who may sometimes challenge him.

At Glenullin, Bradley took on Kevin Madden, and has now harnessed Niall Conway's expertise. Conway led the Derry minors to the 2007 All-Ireland final. His teams play 'heads up football'. It's fast, it's slick and it's effective. Conway coaches, Bradley calls the shots.

His conviction is unshakeable. His nickname, 'the Baker' was earned due to the white sports jacket he was fond of wearing at a time in the 1980s when a brown leather jacket, a moustache, and a pint of Bass was the standard leisure wear of most self-respecting North Derry men.

And, unlike a few other managers, Bradley hasn't turned into a Mickey Harte mimic. He will not be found standing on the sideline in thoughtful repose. After Sean Brady won Cavan's first three kick-outs, Liam could be seen addressing this state of affairs with Tony Scullion. Fingers were pointed, voices were raised, and it can be assumed Tony was told in no uncertain terms to make sure that Brady didn't make four catches in-a-row.

The previous week his son Paddy was snuffed out of the game in Casement Park when double-marked by Justin McMahon and Conor Gormley.

Having watched that performance, it would have been understandable if Bradley had aped Tyrone's system against Cavan's Seanie Johnston. But Bradley had his own ideas. During a conversation with him last week, he told me that there was no guarantee that he would put two men on Johnston. I thought he was joking, and laughed. Liam laughed too.

Liam wasn't joking. After Saturday's game, it emerged that Bradley had told the Antrim players that there was no need to double mark Johnston. He told them that as individuals they were better footballers than the Cavan players. He said if they went out and expressed themselves then they would win.

Liam Bradley is not the first manager to assure Antrim footballers that they are every bit as good as the outfit next door. The difference with 'the Baker' is that when he says something, players believe it.

Next up for the Saffrons is Tyrone, the All-Ireland champions in an Ulster final.

There will be no media bans. After 39 years in darkness, the Saffrons deserve their moment in the sun. And their families are entitled to store and treasure the newspaper supplements and television stories which will be produced for this rare and wonderful occasion.

Because when you manage and play for this Antrim team, you use the attic to store newspaper cuttings, not the brown paper bags from tax-free perks.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavan4ever

Quote from: boojangles on June 30, 2009, 02:12:36 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on June 30, 2009, 01:54:46 PM

Cavan play July 11th.so 2 weeks from that if we lose.if we win 2 weeks from the 18th.If we win on the 18th then 2 weeks from the 25th or so on.
Thank God theres a bit of certainty anyway.
Drinks In,Wits out.

No good if a club player wants to book a holiday and not miss championship. 

mylestheslasher

I haven't said a lot since the match on here as I was trying to compose myself. Needless to say it was very disappointing indeed. But on reflection beating Fermanagh didn't make us all ireland contenders and losing to Antrim does not make us the worst team in Ireland. Antrim are a handy enough outfit and are on a bit of a roll - I think they will give Tyrone a good game.

As for the match - I don't believe the Cavan team were less fit than Antrim. We went up against the workaholics of Fermanagh and we didn't lack in fitness that day. Perhaps Antrim are more athletic but I am more inclined to think it was a mental failing on our behalf. When you see guys just stand of their man instead of walking into him, allowing the man to run at them and trail behind like a junior football then you have to wonder were the lads really up for it or did they get some world beater attitude from 1 win. When I look back at the performance and note that no one really did their stuff you have to suspect that is the case. Where such an attitude would come from is beyond me. It is managements job to make sure this does not happen and I think they failed on this count.

I also think they made a big mistake sending McCutcheon into corner back having never played him in there all year. I mean it is not like Antrim were putting in high ball. I though Walsh was terrible but maybe the injury was the cause of this. So the players did not do themselves justice and the management weren't too clever either. But this is yr 1 of a total rebuild. The important thing is to learn and react well to this. We really need to go out next day, be up for it and go hard from start to finish. Make some personel changes if neccessary but for f**k sake lets be up for the bloody match! I won't give up all hope just yet even if thats what I felt like on Saturday.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on June 30, 2009, 01:45:04 PM

Wasnt near the Imperial thank god.Was chatting a few of them Saturday and Sunday and they all were fairly subdued.I certainly wouldnt begrudge them a few pints.

The club Championships will go ahead 2 weeks after Cavan are eliminated from the Qualifiers.
Boojangles could you confirm that this is 100% accurate about the club championships? If we were beaten on Saturday week and the club championship started two weeks later do you know what would be on the weekend in between as that is the date scheduled for the next round of club championships game per the master list? Appreciate if you could clear that up, thanks.

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on June 30, 2009, 08:57:05 PM
Quote from: boojangles on June 30, 2009, 01:45:04 PM

Boojangles could you confirm that this is 100% accurate about the club championships? If we were beaten on Saturday week and the club championship started two weeks later do you know what would be on the weekend in between as that is the date scheduled for the next round of club championships game per the master list? Appreciate if you could clear that up, thanks.

This is definitely the case,got the text from the one man who is always in the know in my club,he is our County Board delegate also.I would take it as gospel. They have changed from the Master Fixtures already as far as I know. I presume there would be nothing on the weekend in between to give the County players a chance to get back in with their clubs.