Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: REDCOL on June 29, 2009, 03:25:38 PM
Hollow Man, word has it mulvey was told he would never play again for cavan while one of the current cavan selectors is involved. I did not believe it until saturday.

Well that selector should get the boot right away.  Its no wonder were laughing stock off the country with crap like that going on.

put-it-up

Quote from: Hollow Man on June 29, 2009, 02:12:32 PM
The shoulder can dislocate several different ways but once it does, it is very obvious, you will have your arm held at a weird angle and running, jumping for a ball etc is out of the question.
Nicholas Walsh may have hurt his shoulder, and if he did it explains a lot of his poor performance, but to say that he dislocated it and played on is laughable.
I'll try to find a pic online or someone with a dislocated shoulder to show you what it's like. Sore shoulder/restricted movement of shoulder is one thing; dislocation is entirely another.

Walsh was in Drogheda hospital this morning for a check-up and that was the diagnosis I am told form a reliable source.
When u say a certain selector, as far as I no We have a manager, a trainer and only one genuine selector. Is that correct?
Do you know the reason why he was told this and if that was the case, why would Mulvey sit on the bench?

cavan4ever

Quote from: REDCOL on June 29, 2009, 04:13:13 PM

Footnote: Some of the team celebrated their performance with a good knees up in Butlersbridge, good preparation for the 11th of July :o :o :o :o

Id doubt if anyone was celebrating.

BallyhaiseMan

im sure a management team of 3,
One of which, the manager spent the whole league campaign going to as many Dublin Games as he could,many on days where there were Cavan Club games on, seen alot of club action during the earlier part of this year.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 29, 2009, 04:32:07 PM
im sure a management team of 3,
One of which, the manager spent the whole league campaign going to as many Dublin Games as he could,many on days where there were Cavan Club games on, seen alot of club action during the earlier part of this year.

A manager who knew the system Antrim were going to play and still couldnt work out a plan to try and stop them.   I get the feeling that he didnt take Antrim serious.

BallyhaiseMan

He wasnt even at the Donegal/Antrim game because he had the team training at the same time.
Thats unheard of at IC Level, a manager not going to see his potential opponents in person,watching a copy of the game on TV is no substitute.
Im not for one minute laying all the blame on Carr because almost all the players didnt perform,but theres no way the preparation was were it should have been.

cavan4ever

Some Stats from irish news

Cavan Kickouts

Cavan     Antrim
Breaks won           10             13
Clean Catches         0               4

Antrim Kickouts

Cavan     Antrim
Breaks won           9         3
Clean Catches        3        4

Kickout Summary

Cavan 48%  Antrim 52%

cavanmaniac

I actually think he took them no less seriously than he should have cavan 4 ever. You can see the two stools he was caught between - go man for man in defence and play numbers in attack to stretch what would be a packed, hard-working Antrim defence (although bewilderingly, we ran down the middle into cul de sacs time and time again, perhaps hoping to win frees and exploit Martin Reilly's form, which proved flawed in the end), or pack our own defence and leave the attack isolated and lacking support. Those were the choices facing him and patently, the first option didn't work in the first half because any time Antrim got the ball past the middle - i.e. most of the time - they were skipping around our defenders who seemed to think they were partaking in a non contact sport like f**king tag rugby or something.

The second option, i.e. matching Antrim's pattern and slugging it out like we tried in the second half was clearly the right thing to do. They kicked a lot more wides in this period - a marked contrast to the free and easy scoring before the interval - because of the pressure they were at last put under while kicking, but the sheer volume of attacks they could launch, because of the dominance at midfield, always meant that they'd secure enough scores to win it. Not least because although we belatedly adopted the right tactic, we simply didn't have the fitness to execute it properly. Remember Jayo on his own on edge of the square in the final minute, surrounded by 5/6 Antrim men, and not a supporting Cavan player in sight. Jayo somehow won a ball in and his free, took his first of two potshots at the goal and yet there still was barely a Cavan player anywhere in the same parish!

This rank lack of fitness as opposed to the tactics on the day is the biggest blame we can attach to TC I think. But the most culpability has to be laid at the door of the players who collectively and individually looked like they'd never seen a ball in their lives so mind-numbingly dreadful were their attempts at using it accurately and creatively. On the question of preparation, I presume TC took the same approach pre-Fermanagh and did okay there by all accounts, so I'd hold back on hanging the manager just yet. If in time he deserves a slating, let him have it, but let's wait and see if this game will prove typical of his reign or a mere one-off like we all have to desperately hope it is.

The next game has a helluva lot at stake in it folks, make no mistake about it, it's make or break and what happens in this game will colour the rest of TC's reign and every one of his plans.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: cavan4ever on June 29, 2009, 04:17:13 PM

Footnote: Some of the team celebrated their performance with a good knees up in Butlersbridge, good preparation for the 11th of July :o :o :o :o

The point is if I was one of those players I'd be hiding my head in shame until I could make up for it in a fortnight. A good few were guests of Mr.Keoghan on Saturday. Superstars.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on June 29, 2009, 06:21:05 PM

The point is if I was one of those players I'd be hiding my head in shame until I could make up for it in a fortnight. A good few were guests of Mr.Keoghan on Saturday. Superstars.
I have been quiet up to now coz I was trying to compose myself but gonna step in right now and say steady on.... I don't think we can criticize any of the boys for hitting town after Saturday's match.  If my team gets beaten or I have a bad game myself and if the opportunity allows me to, there's nothing like a dozen or so pints and then a slap of vodkas or whiskeys to take your mind off it for a couple of hours - and I know for a fact most of the boys on the county panel are people like the rest of us so why wouldn't they want to do the same...
Did we expect them to come home and go straight out on the field at Breffni and start training again or go to a Hotel for video analysis??
What exactly would have been the appropriate response to Saturday's result and more so the preformance? 
Believe me when I say the mood and humour on Saturday was a lot different when compared to after the Fermanagh game so they were hardly celebrating?

Everyone is hurting the players especially so lets try and not go over the top with some of the comments
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Celt_Man on June 29, 2009, 06:29:56 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on June 29, 2009, 06:21:05 PM

I have been quiet up to now coz I was trying to compose myself but gonna step in right now and say steady on.... I don't think we can criticize any of the boys for hitting town after Saturday's match.  If my team gets beaten or I have a bad game myself and if the opportunity allows me to, there's nothing like a dozen or so pints and then a slap of vodkas or whiskeys to take your mind off it for a couple of hours - and I know for a fact most of the boys on the county panel are people like the rest of us so why wouldn't they want to do the same...
Did we expect them to come home and go straight out on the field at Breffni and start training again or go to a Hotel for video analysis??
What exactly would have been the appropriate response to Saturday's result and more so the preformance? 
Believe me when I say the mood and humour on Saturday was a lot different when compared to after the Fermanagh game so they were hardly celebrating?

Everyone is hurting the players especially so lets try and not go over the top with some of the comments
I had a feeling I'd get this response. They certainly are entitled to as many dozen pints as they want. I only made a suggestion as to what I would do (and I've done it in bold this time(I think)) which is what you're now asking. I was in no form for going out after watching it. Were you?

Denn Forever

Looked at the game again on RTE.ie.

No one likes to be made a fool of and we, the supporters made fools of ourselves.  Talk about TC not taking Antrim seriously, I didn't take Antrim seriously.  Put it up was worried before the game, but I didn't take the worries seriously.  We had loads of players with Sigerson experience, like Antrim.  So I'd like to think we just had a bad day att the office.

Back to the game, we just seemed to take the wrong options all the time and this seemed to introduce a panic into the players.  There were 12 minutes plus stopage time left when we scored the goal.  A bit more composure and taking our points may have worried the Antrim team.  Our shooting was abysmal but what can we do about that?  The forwards can score but seemed to be rattled.

Botttom line, 1st year of a rebuilding program so lets see what happens.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Its all been said really.Still shocked,not at the loss but at the teams performance and lack of the basics.Nobody played well but the lack of ideas from the line was very worrying too.In saying that,he got his line-up wrong from the start,so we were on the back foot immediately.The myth that Keating is a Centre Half back can be put to bed and also the myth that he is one of Cavans best passers.There were so many mistakes made along the line and some questions Id love to hear an answer to include-
How McCutcheon was taken off before Brides or Sheridan was crazy.What do Fannin or Cahill have to do to get a game?Why not try a target man on the square and give Antrim something to think about? How was midfield left the same? How come Antrim looked like a Senior team in condition when Cavan looked like a Junior team?.Fitness wasnt a problem against Fermanagh but on Saturday every Cavan player looked jaded.
The biggest disappointment is that for the first time in about 3-4 years Cavan people actually travelled in numbers,with expectations might I add. It might be another 3-4 years before we see the same again.And who could blame them?

put-it-up

Lads im more pissed off than anyone over the result but i've decided im not going to criticise the performance anymore.

Denn you are right, this was the first year of a rebuilding programme and at the start of the year we woulda grabbed the thought of a trip to Clones with both hands.

After the Fermanagh I wasn's sure about a lot of things. Antrim got us to learn about ourselves, and flagged up our weaknesses clear as day.

The team was relatively young and that was their first experience of a proper pressure enviroment..for a lot of them anyway!And lets not forget it was Carr's first experience of an Ulster pressure cooker too.

Now we will see what Carr is all about. I know a lot of the players speak very highly of him but TC has to learn from that defeat, as do the players. Everybody does. Many of them froze at the occasion, but next time they will no what to expect.

Next year we will see what the man is all about and if we are heading in the right direction.

Problems were flagged up. Now they have to start working towards solutions.

Our defensive system clearly didn't work. We went man for man but didn't tackle. Thats suicide.
Midfield again we were outclassed and I think we are going to have to start looking at playing someone like Keating,Givney or Cullivan at WF the help out our midfield.

I saw McHugh in the Star branded our forwards as individuals. And i really do feel they did not work as a unit. Johnston, as good as he is needs to take his hands of his hips and work...even if the ball isn't coming. If he is being marked by three men, he needs to make decoy runs to bring his teammates into the game, instead of standing still. I love Jelly and think he is brilliant but there is no I in team.

I would like to see a few changes by the time the qualifiers come round..and i dont want any radical changes. More Gradual progression.

Be interested to hear how you guys feel we can move forward.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I agree with the last two posts despite what I posted earlier. I too have reminded myself that we just needed to see progress, but gradual process over TC's term. As far a the question of moving forward in the immediate future I would suggest the following. Take Sheridan, Brides and Hannon out of the full-back line and replace with Cahill,Smith and Fanin. No point having Smith sitting their and I think we might as well experiment in the back door to some extent. It will give the likes of Hannon a kick in the arse and give these three a chance to prove TC wrong for omitting them. I'd put McCutcheon back at WB with Flanagan in the middle and I'd move Dermot Sheridan to the other wing in place of Podge who is long out of chances. Midfield is tough as I can't bring myself to suggest giving Mulvey a chance. Try Keating and/or Givney there perhaps, maybe even Cullivan. In attack I'm not sure. Mackey will come good again and all that needs to be said about Johnston has been said. I think we'd all like to see Pierson get a run but who knows what goes on behind the scenes. Sean Brady needs to be left out similary to Podge.
See, simple isn't it. ;)