Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

The Thing that angers me is the lack of a plan B,
Its been the same throughout the league, Plan A is Seanie and if that doesnt work, we are f**ked.
Carr has been in the job well over 6 months now,Its just not good enough after maybe 80-100 training sessions,7 league games 3 McKenna Cup games and 1 Championship game and god knows how many challenges that,No Alternate pattern of play was developed.

For the next day id like to see
David Givney
Keith Fannin
Gunner
and Martin Cahill along with
Larry ,Jason and Eoin Smith(at full back if hes not injured??? ) all starting
The team definetely needs to be re-inforced

It might not be a bit of harm to give Keating another chance in the forwards.
Would also like to see Myles clubmate Tomas Reily being blooded aswell.

Denn Forever

Weird how a football game affects your mood.  Foul, Foul, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Well done Antrim, we were schooled. 

They had a high tempo game and went at it from the start.  Double and Triple teaming Johnson.  We just didn'tt turn up.  In the second half, we couldn't get out of our half. 

Words and the ability to analyse what went on fail me.

I noted that Mr. Pain was no longer ranting.  Somehow I don't think that will last!

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 28, 2009, 08:11:49 PM
Weird how a football game affects your mood.  Foul, Foul, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Well done Antrim, we were schooled. 

They had a high tempo game and went at it from the start.  Double and Triple teaming Johnson.  We just didn'tt turn up.  In the second half, we couldn't get out of our half. 

Words and the ability to analyse what went on fail me.

I noted that Mr. Pain was no longer ranting.  Somehow I don't think that will last!

Mr Pain is well entitled to rant about what happened Saturday Night!!!

anglocelt39

We can be well pissed off that our lads performed so poorly after what looked like a fair effort against Fermanagh however we should not take away from Antrim who will trouble at least one more outfit before the summer is past. Fair play to them. To sober us all up-we are a division 3 side and lucky enough to be that, we had a crowd of lads starting yesterday not one of whom has won anything of note playing in a Cavan jersey. Our club scene wouldn't be the best either now.

Before we get too bloody down on ourselves take a look around tomorrow for your colleagues at work from Laois, Westmeath, Roscommon. Three counties with some underage pedigrees who have been absolutely destroyed in the championship. Sligo nearly taking Galway today so there are all sorts of twists at this early stage. If our lads can regroup and win one game in the qualifiers I won't be too unhappy provided the following game isn't a disaster. We followed terrible league performances with ok so I'm just hoping we can retrieve the situation a small bit.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

That's a decent bit of perspective ac39 and well said but it's just so difficult to get away from the sheer, awful, dreadful poverty of our performance on Saturday.

'Complacency' is a consolatory and worthy exscuse for the strong teams when they inexplicably fail against the weak. We should have had no such delusiuons v Antrim and despite one delirious headbanger on the main board earnestly manufacturing reasons to suggest otherwise, I don't think we did. The effort and application was there I thought, but the execution was abysmal. Leave Tommy Carr out of the equation a moment and concentrate on the embarrassing failings of the actual players at all the basic skills of the game. It was so bad you'd have to ask was it nerves, a bad day at the office, or what? Can you literally imagine us playing any worse than if we went out to deliberately turn in a wretched performance? Or is that sort of speculation a refuge we don't deserve, no more than we don't deserve the relative comfort of saying it was complacency?

For all that, I firmly believe we are way better than yesterday. Not Ulster title winning better, but respectability and not being ashamed to tell people where you're from better. To illustrate, ask yourselves this, with regard to how crucial the correct managerial appointment is: if you'd been told after Cavan beat Antrim last year that the Saffrons would be in an Ulster final within 12 months, how hard would you have laughed? That's not an indictment of TC just yet but a nod to how the right man at the right time and you'd be astonished at what can be achived, just like McHugh did for us 14 years ago.

I guess I'm ackowledging that we've every right to be very downcast but some hope should remain. The manner of our next performance will be very, very telling IMO, and will really set the tone for TC's reign from here on. We are, remember, a very very young side, a decent qualifier performance will encourage, another capitulation will be extremely hard to recover from. The next match will show us if the display v Antrim was a true barometer of where we at, I can only hope and trust that it wasn't.

Hollow Man

Having seen Antrim v Donegal and Cavan v Fermanagh and having watched us beat Antrim handily enough last year, I was confident that Cavan would win this.
However, Antrim played better than I have ever seen them play (they were fantastic) and Cavan turned in their worst ever perfomance in my time watching them. I know they weren't let play all that much at times, but their passing and decision-making was pathetic.
I
QuoteWalsh sustained a dislocated shoulder 5 minutes into the game. the fact that he wasn't subbed is not his fault.

I don't believe this. I dislocated a shoulder in a match once and it's agony, one of the most painful injuries you can receive and even if someone pops it in, you are unable to continue. Nicholas Walsh was able to jog normally from what I've seen - with a dislocated shoulder/collar bone/whatever, you can't hold up the arm.
Walsh was cleaned out - it happens.
No need for ridiculous excuses.

cavan4sam

I actually thought Galligan competed well with Niall Mckeever, got his hands to a lot of ball and fielded a couple of balls, it wasn't his fault that we were cleaned out in terms of breaking ball. The biggest factor in the defeat was the fact thta Mackey was destroyed, he is our main link between defense and attack and he just wasnt in it at all, so much so that his man got man of the match. The lads will bounce back, as they will never play as bad as that again, hopefully we get a nice draw in the qualifiers. The fact remains that those 30 players are the best available in the county at present and we need to stick with them. They didn't go out to play bad, shit happens!!

Hollow Man

According to the Irish News, McKeever made five clean catches during the 50 odd minutes he was on.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Hollow Man on June 29, 2009, 07:25:15 AM
Having seen Antrim v Donegal and Cavan v Fermanagh and having watched us beat Antrim handily enough last year, I was confident that Cavan would win this.
However, Antrim played better than I have ever seen them play (they were fantastic) and Cavan turned in their worst ever perfomance in my time watching them. I know they weren't let play all that much at times, but their passing and decision-making was pathetic.
I
QuoteWalsh sustained a dislocated shoulder 5 minutes into the game. the fact that he wasn't subbed is not his fault.

I don't believe this. I dislocated a shoulder in a match once and it's agony, one of the most painful injuries you can receive and even if someone pops it in, you are unable to continue. Nicholas Walsh was able to jog normally from what I've seen - with a dislocated shoulder/collar bone/whatever, you can't hold up the arm.

How recently did you sustain the injury? Was the dislocation confined to the shoulder area?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

Quote from: hardstation on June 29, 2009, 12:42:49 AM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 29, 2009, 12:31:18 AM
'Complacency' is a consolatory and worthy exscuse for the strong teams when they inexplicably fail against the weak. We should have had no such delusiuons v Antrim and despite one delirious headbanger on the main board earnestly manufacturing reasons to suggest otherwise, I don't think we did.
I think you'll find that it was on this thread, on the last page and a one Mr. salmon of knowledge who suggested that this happened. That's not to mention a few others who saw this as a factor before the match even took place. For whatever reason, I don't know but please carry on....

Oh well sure if one person and at that, no less an oracle than the "salmon of knowledge" suggested it, it can't but be true! But if you'll recall, my main objection in the first place was you calling us "an arrogant shower of b**tards" and telling us to "suck it up." The best you've been able to provide as an example of this is someone suggesting we may have been complacent along with a quote from a Drung poster where he pointed out we had a good record v Antrim in the past, had every reason to believe we could win but equally had every chance of losing.

Now if mere, run-of-the-mill speculating like this on the simple liklihoods of beating Antrim gets you so hot and bothered, I can only imagine you spend the majority of your time on this board in a state of high agitation.

Had some Cavan poster suggested pre-match that Antrim were a "useless shower of b**tards" then you might have a case, but I think you'll find it's only a bad winner like yourself that uses such language about your opponents, ones who've been a hundred times more gracious in defeat than you in your very well-merited victory. So you trying to seize the moral high ground here is faintly ridiculous, don't you think?

But by all means carry on, it seems to be where you're getting the most pleasure from the win, which says it all really.

put-it-up

Quote from: Hollow Man on June 29, 2009, 07:25:15 AM
I

Sorry Hollow Man, Walsh did in fact dislocate his shoulder. I take back my earlier insult about his performance if that is the case. How could the management leave him on the field though...bafflinig really!

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hollow Man

The shoulder can dislocate several different ways but once it does, it is very obvious, you will have your arm held at a weird angle and running, jumping for a ball etc is out of the question.
Nicholas Walsh may have hurt his shoulder, and if he did it explains a lot of his poor performance, but to say that he dislocated it and played on is laughable.
I'll try to find a pic online or someone with a dislocated shoulder to show you what it's like. Sore shoulder/restricted movement of shoulder is one thing; dislocation is entirely another.

Homer

Quote from: Hollow Man on June 29, 2009, 02:12:32 PM
The shoulder can dislocate several different ways but once it does, it is very obvious, you will have your arm held at a weird angle and running, jumping for a ball etc is out of the question.
Nicholas Walsh may have hurt his shoulder, and if he did it explains a lot of his poor performance, but to say that he dislocated it and played on is laughable.
I'll try to find a pic online or someone with a dislocated shoulder to show you what it's like. Sore shoulder/restricted movement of shoulder is one thing; dislocation is entirely another.

Just to take you up on this HollowMan, I know of players who have dislocated their shoulder on a couple of occasions and have popped it back into place themselves and offered to play on after.

That's not to say a dislocated shoulder isn't a serious injury but it causes far more pain first time around as that's when the real ligament damage occurs whereas subsequent dislocations can be far more bearable.

Hollow Man

Fair enough Homer, I'll take your word for it. I only did mine the once.
It's just infuriating to hear this sort of thing though, smacks of a ready-made excuse. What other county would keep a player on in such a big match with a bad injury?
Especially when we had Mulvey on the bench who, for all his faults, turned the game against the same opposition last year.