Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

I wouldn't dream of starting Givney against Antrim, especially since Cullivan did well at FF last day, but I think he has a future. I seen his cameo at midfield in the league against Down and he did very well. Its in him but he needs some more work to make it at county level.

boojangles

The one thing I really like about Givney from what I seen of him is he is very aware of team mates and he isnt afraid to do the simple thing when needed,something I feel Keating could learn from. He is only learning and whether at Full-Forward or Midfield,I definitely feel he has a future if he keeps progressing.In other years I would definitely say a player of his ability should be used but thank god when you can call on players of the ability of Lyng,Larry,Pierson and Jason in the forwards from the bench it looks like he may not be needed-unless at midfield.
As mentioned already by a few,I have a feeling that Larry if given a chance could do damage and give the team a lift if it is geting tight in the 2nd half.
For the first time in a few years I think Cavan may actually travel in numbers,I know alot of people who werent even at the Fermanagh game who are headin for Clones.
What more could ya want-Good weather,Good atmosphere and a place in an Ulster Final -heres hoping.

jimjim

Any predictions for the Weekend??
Maybe Cavan 14 - 9?? - Hopefully.........

the salmon of knowledge

Quote from: jimjim on June 26, 2009, 11:48:21 AM
Any predictions for the Weekend??
Maybe Cavan 14 - 9?? - Hopefully.........

goals a plenty, cavan 2-10
antrim 1-9

fingers crossed

boojangles

Cavan 1-12
Antrim 0-13

He's always good for a goal he is Jayo Jayo He's always good for a goal he is Jayo Jayo
C-o-m-e O-n Y-o-u Boys in Blue Come on you boys in Blue come on you boys Come on you boys in Blue
If you'v won FIVE All-Irelands clap your hands If you'v won FIVE All-Irelands clap your hands
Jellys gonna get ya Jellys gonna get ya

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on June 27, 2009, 10:41:12 AM
Cavan 1-12
Antrim 0-13

He's always good for a goal he is Jayo Jayo He's always good for a goal he is Jayo Jayo
C-o-m-e O-n Y-o-u Boys in Blue Come on you boys in Blue come on you boys Come on you boys in Blue
If you'v won FIVE All-Irelands clap your hands If you'v won FIVE All-Irelands clap your hands
Jellys gonna get ya Jellys gonna get ya

Ahh the chants... you gotta love them

"I'd rather spend a euro than a pound"
Go home and pay your taxes to the crown" - they love that one!!!
If you've got 39 Ulsters clap your hands, etc etc
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Babe Ruth 47

We've got 39 Ulster titles ye've got 10.............etc etc etc

Hollow Man

Chants are embarrassing, we have too much of that British shite coming into our culture, like Irish fellas chanting at the TV in pubs in an English accent.

PS I refuse to talk about the match. Too depressing. PATHETIC.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I made my late night analysis on the page thread. Dreadful day. :'(

cavanmaniac

Right back to zero after that folks. First time seeing Cavan in the flesh under Carr and dare I say it, we lactually ooked better under Keogan  :o. That's some achievement. Too early to criticise Carr too badly but questions will start to be asked now and something needs to happen to redeem oursleves even slightly in the qualifiers. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one though.

It's hard to know where to begin, but given that fitness is the first building block, let's start there. The humid conditions sapped us and were were yards off Antrim all day. In short, we just didn't do the f**king hard work all year and that's simply unforgivable. The last ten minutes we hadn't anything left - fair play to the lads for trying to the end but I think we can say that there's one county squad who didn't fully earn their grant money this year and can't complain too much about it being scrapped!

Tactically also we were inept, especially in the first half. Our defenders were isolated all half and getting turned inside out and it was clear we needed to flood the area with numbers to shore it up. How in the name of Jesus were we only a point down at the break?  The amount of space and time afforded the Antrim forwards was mind boggling at this level of the game, and the sheer refusal of any Cavan defender to even make a cursory effort at tackling their man - for fucks sake, even an effort at tickling their man - was enough to make you weep. When we did pull bodies back in second half, we tightened up to a small degree but then had absolutely no threat at the other end of the field becase we hadn't the puff to get up and down in support and...

...our use of the ball was absolutely horrendous anyway. Passes too long. Passes too short. Aimless, desperate punts to nobody at all. Men with ample time and space fumbling the ball for no reason. Walsh making a one-man bid to make a season's worth of mistakes in one match. Carrying possession, repeatedly, into thickets of eager and hungry Antrim men, or turning it over cheaply when electing to move it quickly.

Antrim were tremendous, buzzing, full of life and running, and I salute them. Despite this we were within a score of them at the end, they gave us every opportunity to get back at them, no matter how unjustified it would have been, with missed chances and so on. But we were such an affront to incompetence today we couldn't even raise a gallop.

I wasn't at the Fermanagh game but f**k knows how we won it. And Lord knows what this says about Down. The optimist in me wants to believe we can improve enough to win a qualifier game and that this is was just "one of those days" (yeah, another one) but if we ever play half as badly again as we did today, we wouldn't beat a ladies team. A big crowd travelled from Cavan and once again they were badly let down, if there's 1000 Cavan fans at the next game I'll be astonished.

We've got some fair trimmings down the years but it's genuinely hard to think of a single match in which we played worse than today. Even the last time Antrim beat us we were better than this.

One last thing: the first person to bemoan the absence of McCabe and McKeever gets shot. If they wanted to be there, they'd have been there, end of story.

BallyhaiseMan

Just in now from drowing the sorrows, And i have training at 11 in the morning.
That was an utter disgrace,The worst in the Donal Keoghan era was better than what we produced today.
Antrim were at least 25% fitter than us today.

Im a big fan of Podge,But he didnt have the legs to stay with Kevin Brady,Brides has been a great servant but he doesnt have anything to offer.

Jesus i am in no way employed by the county management, and i could have lined out the backs man for man better than that shite today.

Michael Brides was destroyed by Tomas McCann.

Rory Dunne is too slow for a back at IC level.

Eugene Keating is no Back, he didnt know where he was today when he was the free man.
I thought McCutcheon whilst getting a bit of a roasting at times along with Hannon and Sheridan performed admirabely against a midfield which was destoryed.

How McCutcheon was taken off before Brides, i will never know.
Ive always been a Ciaran Galligan fan,One of the few on this board,But he was completely destoryed by Niall McKeever.

Nicholas Walsh was the worst man on the field,nothing went right for him,and heis lack of mobility was exposed.

The Frowards had no game plan,other than get it to Jelly,Flanagan worked extremely hard and was one of cavans better performers.
Mackey had a nightmare.
Martin Reily kicked a good score from play but missed a few frees which while difficult were scoreable for him.
Ray kicked a good score,but he tried to do too much and got dispossed too many times.
Sean Brady was non existant.
Jelly done his bot but he was marked by 3 men at times,He had no help.

The sad fact is,and im more guilty than anyone on this board of this,
we have been been living in hope for the last few years that the new era of Sean Brady,Michael Hannon,Ronan Flanagan,Michael Lyng etc would replace the likes of Larry,Jason,McCabe,Forde etc,Its quite clear now this generation isnt good enough to replace the last of our 97 stalwarts,they have fl;attered to deceive for too long now.

We will no doubt disect the panel and game more in the coming days,But we had a small,slow team out there today,Antrim were ,bigger,Fitter,More athletic and had better footballer sthan us. There are some names that i will throw up that i believe need to be brought in to reoplace some of the players who played today.

As for Tommy Carr,il say nothing about him,.because id be liable to start another Carr Must go Thread,after that shambles today.

The walk out of Clones today was gut wrenching,Its bad enough to get beaten by a better team,and Antrim were a better team,But we were embarrassed today and could have been annihilated.

the salmon of knowledge

shambolic, i think is the word i used most watching yesterday.

it was asked, and warned about for the last 2 weeks, but we did it, we took antrim for granted, on the field but more so on the sideline.
sometimes it baffles me how15 players can look so much fitter than another set of 15 at IC. antrim ate us for fitness, 100% ran us off the field.
but the most annoying thing for me was talking to an antrim man whostated before the game how they would play a sweeper, big deal, sure the dogs on the street knew that...
not tommy carr by the looks of things. we could not use our extra man at the back at all. keating was lost.

yesterday was abysmal, and i really dont know how that team will be able up raise themselves to achive anything in the back door.

good luck to antrim, good value for their win, and their fans were brill, good day in clones with them, all but for 70 minutes

Babe Ruth 47

In foul humor here after that match and a bustin head. Again fair dues to Antrim, they thouroughly deserved the win. Their midfield diamond is extremely good. That young McKeever lad was very impressive. They won some amount of clean possession. Personally I think its up there with the Waterford humiliation as one of the worst Cavan performances in living memory.  Walsh in the middle of the field was like a statue, absolutely brutal. His reading of kick outs was atrocious always 5,6,7 yards away from his man. The full back line, as expected, as atrocious. How Brides stayed on the field is beyound belief. This thing the entire back 6 have developed of flapping their hands and standing like scarecrows instead of putting in a tackle is terrible. Instead of landing a forward back on their arses with a shoulder our backs would rather wave at them.

Did Tommy Carr not expect Antrim to drop a man back in front of Johnston? We seemed clueless ho to bypass this or utilise the free man out the field. Only for that soft goal Cavan could have/should have been beat by 12 points. On a lighter note I thought young Givney done well when he came on. At least he put himself about.

I really hope Antrim can go on and give Tyrone a good rattle. Clones was powerful craic with them about.

Babe Ruth 47

Only after seeing your post RednBlack. How did management ever let Walsh stay on the field. Fair play to him for effort if that was the case. Very unfortunate.

put-it-up

Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on June 28, 2009, 04:08:52 PM

In foul humor here after that match and a bustin head. Again fair dues to Antrim, they thouroughly deserved the win. Their midfield diamond is extremely good. That young McKeever lad was very impressive. They won some amount of clean possession. Personally I think its up there with the Waterford humiliation as one of the worst Cavan performances in living memory.  Walsh in the middle of the field was like a statue, absolutely brutal. His reading of kick outs was atrocious always 5,6,7 yards away from his man. The full back line, as expected, as atrocious. How Brides stayed on the field is beyound belief. This thing the entire back 6 have developed of flapping their hands and standing like scarecrows instead of putting in a tackle is terrible. Instead of landing a forward back on their arses with a shoulder our backs would rather wave at them.

Did Tommy Carr not expect Antrim to drop a man back in front of Johnston? We seemed clueless ho to bypass this or utilise the free man out the field. Only for that soft goal Cavan could have/should have been beat by 12 points. On a lighter note I thought young Givney done well when he came on. At least he put himself about.

I really hope Antrim can go on and give Tyrone a good rattle. Clones was powerful craic with them about.

I didn't no that about Walsh but if that is the case, what the hell was he doing on the field...He was miles off the pace.And i genuinely believe the corner-back in my club would have been better than Brides yesterday. Stand up for him all you want, but he was awful. I had mates from Dublin texting me asking where we found him.

Agree with everything you say Babe Ruth. THought the tackling, or attempt at tackling I should say was hilarious. It just didn't work. And i do agree, Antrim had some pretty impressive players.

And i also agree about Givney. I questioned him during the week but at least he put himself about and tried to do something. So did Larry.

We all probably did get a bit excited after the Fermanagh match, but as they say you are only as good as your last game. For that reason I think it is important the qualifiers are taken seriously and pride is restored.