Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollow Man

You are completely wrong again Bojangles. Daniel Hughes was brilliant that day, he gave the Gunner a roasting. He only scored a point from play but he was class.
So much so that Gunner was actually dropped for the next round, when the teams were:

Armagh: P Hearty, E McNulty, F Bellew, A Mallon, K Hughes, A O'Rourke, A McCann, J Toal, P McGrane, P McKeever (0-1), T McEntee, O McConville (0-5), S McDonnell (0-2), R Clarke (0-1), M O'Rourke. Substitutes: B Mallon (0-2), D Marsden (0-1), K McElvanna (0-1).

Cavan: E Elliott; C Collins, D Rabbit, R Donahoe; A Forde, A Gaynor, K Crotty; P McKenna, T Crowe, L Reilly (0-3); M Lyng (0-4), M McKeever, J O'Reilly; P Reilly, G Pearson (0-3). Substitute: D McCabe (0-1).

Gunner is one of the best three or four footballers in the county, but not at corner-back.
Also, from the other thread where we were debating about Pierson and Jelly playing together, I just noticed that both started together in that match against Down in 04, BOTH were taken off at half-time! All the talk about how Coleman had Pierson playing like a genius is exaggerated - GP scored 0-3 in two championship matches that summer, hardly Paddy Bradley/Tom Freeman etc scoring. How you think GP would make the Tyrone/Derry/Monaghan teams is beyond me.
I mean, the much-maligned Larry scored the same as him against Armagh but nobody remembers that.
Pierson is way over-rated.

put-it-up

Quote from: Hollow Man on June 20, 2009, 01:14:43 PM
You are completely wrong again Bojangles. Daniel Hughes was brilliant that day, he gave the Gunner a roasting. He only scored a point from play but he was class.
So much so that Gunner was actually dropped for the next round, when the teams were:

Armagh: P Hearty, E McNulty, F Bellew, A Mallon, K Hughes, A O'Rourke, A McCann, J Toal, P McGrane, P McKeever (0-1), T McEntee, O McConville (0-5), S McDonnell (0-2), R Clarke (0-1), M O'Rourke. Substitutes: B Mallon (0-2), D Marsden (0-1), K McElvanna (0-1).

Cavan: E Elliott; C Collins, D Rabbit, R Donahoe; A Forde, A Gaynor, K Crotty; P McKenna, T Crowe, L Reilly (0-3); M Lyng (0-4), M McKeever, J O'Reilly; P Reilly, G Pearson (0-3). Substitute: D McCabe (0-1).

Gunner is one of the best three or four footballers in the county, but not at corner-back.
Also, from the other thread where we were debating about Pierson and Jelly playing together, I just noticed that both started together in that match against Down in 04, BOTH were taken off at half-time! All the talk about how Coleman had Pierson playing like a genius is exaggerated - GP scored 0-3 in two championship matches that summer, hardly Paddy Bradley/Tom Freeman etc scoring. How you think GP would make the Tyrone/Derry/Monaghan teams is beyond me.
I mean, the much-maligned Larry scored the same as him against Armagh but nobody remembers that.

That is bull-shit Hollow Man, Pierson is NOT over-rated. He just has not fulfilled his potential. The man can be a genius on the pitch if he sets his mind to it. Imagine if him and Jelly clicked on a big-day. "Put the flag up"

On the point about Brady perhaps I was abit hasty. I think I was over-desperate to get him on the field, and get Brides off it :) I'vv slept on it and think he should go into the half-forward line in place of Sean. And in his defence myles, Benny has destroyed most players that marked him! He is such a class act.

The corner-back slot is a difficult one...I reckon Carr will give Brides another run. Dublin clubs rate him very highly, unfortunately I'm noth is biggest fan!

the salmon of knowledge

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on June 19, 2009, 05:55:51 PM
Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on June 19, 2009, 05:16:30 PM
i think everyone is being hard on keating... i felt his preformance warrented another day @ CHB.
And how much exactly has gunner done in that position to suggest he is that much better?
the team in my opinion should be:
miller
brides, sheridan, fannin
gunner, keating, mc cuetheon
galligan, walsh
mackey, cullivan, flanagan
johnstone, givney, reilly.

apart from his frees the last day martin reilly would not make the team.
i felt cullivan could have been used further out the field the last day as his fielding and option taking are generally good, and it makes the diamond very physically strong.
givney on the square, as if things are not working for him or walsh, they can switch without using a sub needlessly.

just my opinion
Fair enough SOK but if you questin what the gunner has done to warrant a place the same could be asked of Givney.

fair point alright...
but there is a difference in what both players bring to the team is really my point. we seem to have a few fast comfortable on the ball half back types and keating played well enough to start in the 6 shirt. he also was the cucus best player against gowna last weekend from that position...
in givneys case, he is something that the might have lacked the last day, for all the mayhem cullivan caused, he made his runs early, coupled with some slow ball in meant when he won the ball he was outside the real danger zone, ie. inside the 21.

i just like to see the FF playing the square with his HFs running off him.
we seem to be unable to do this, because our CFs have not been instructed to make decoy runs where by they make space but have no hope of getting the ball

Hollow Man

QuoteThat is bull-shit Hollow Man, Pierson is NOT over-rated. He just has not fulfilled his potential

Hang on a second so we can get things straight put-it-up...
Boojangles said that Pierson would make any team in Ulster. I said that he wouldn't (can't make the Cavan team FFS!) and the comments from genuine supporters like Boojangles to that effect show that he is over-rated.
You now accuse me of talking bullshit, but in the next line state that Pierson hasn't fulfilled his potential.
So which is it? Would he make any team in Ulster?
If your answer is no, then Boojangles has over-rated him as I said. If your answer is yes, well God help the rest of the country when he finally fulfils that potential!
This Pierson debate is a lot of what's wrong in Cavan - the man has only played a handful of good games for us. 2004 is commonly regarded as his best year (a lot of posters here have mentioned how Coleman had Pierson firing on all cylinders) but as I have pointed out, he was taken off at half-time in the first round that year and scored 0-3 (as opposed to a huge tally or 1-5 or 1-6) against Armagh. A good performance, but not enough to live off for five years.
Good forwards are judged by their performances in the heat of battle in the championship. Are you saying that Pierson has done anything in the last five years to show that he would make any side in Ulster?
He's usually either injured or disinterested looking.
He's been in or around the Cavan team since '02 I think (debut v Donegal, scored 0-9 from frees that day alright) but has never done anything to merit the reputation he has among supporters in my opinion. I'm sure he's a sound fella, but he's not a top inter-county player and if anyone from one of the top counties saw Boojangles' comment they'd be laughing!

mylestheslasher

You are correct to a point Hollowman but I think Pierson has the potential to be a great player if a)He can get fit and stay fit and b)If he starts to develop some hunger for the game. Big If's but he has serious skill to be unlocked.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 20, 2009, 10:10:24 PM
You are correct to a point Hollowman but I think Pierson has the potential to be a great player if a)He can get fit and stay fit and b)If he starts to develop some hunger for the game. Big If's but he has serious skill to be unlocked.

Id be a Pierson fan myself the year he got injured he nearly beat Meath on his own up in Navan but because of injury and as myles said earlier about sitting around having the few beers when he cant play means he hasnt being consistent.

I would be guilty of talking him up myself as other do here but that is because we know what he can do.

put-it-up

Quote from: Hollow Man on June 20, 2009, 09:26:25 PM
QuoteThat is bull-shit Hollow Man, Pierson is NOT over-rated. He just has not fulfilled his potential

Hang on a second so we can get things straight put-it-up...
Boojangles said that Pierson would make any team in Ulster. I said that he wouldn't (can't make the Cavan team FFS!) and the comments from genuine supporters like Boojangles to that effect show that he is over-rated.
You now accuse me of talking bullshit, but in the next line state that Pierson hasn't fulfilled his potential.
So which is it? Would he make any team in Ulster?
If your answer is no, then Boojangles has over-rated him as I said. If your answer is yes, well God help the rest of the country when he finally fulfils that potential!
This Pierson debate is a lot of what's wrong in Cavan - the man has only played a handful of good games for us. 2004 is commonly regarded as his best year (a lot of posters here have mentioned how Coleman had Pierson firing on all cylinders) but as I have pointed out, he was taken off at half-time in the first round that year and scored 0-3 (as opposed to a huge tally or 1-5 or 1-6) against Armagh. A good performance, but not enough to live off for five years.
Good forwards are judged by their performances in the heat of battle in the championship. Are you saying that Pierson has done anything in the last five years to show that he would make any side in Ulster?
He's usually either injured or disinterested looking.
He's been in or around the Cavan team since '02 I think (debut v Donegal, scored 0-9 from frees that day alright) but has never done anything to merit the reputation he has among supporters in my opinion. I'm sure he's a sound fella, but he's not a top inter-county player and if anyone from one of the top counties saw Boojangles' comment they'd be laughing!

My god Hollow-man, you really took my comment to heart didn't you? I didn't mean to upset you or make you feel the need to write such a lengthy reply. I suppose I do understand where you are coming from but I just don't understand how you can say the man is overrated. I didn't actually see the comment about Pierson getting playing with any other county and on his current form the answer is NO.

The reason some of us speak so highly of him, is we know what he is capable of - if the fire is burning in his belly. Since when does having unfulfilled potential mean you are over-rated? I admit he is no spring chicken at this stage, but I think there is a big performance going to come from him in a blue jersey soon. More than likely when he is sprung from the bench.

And I wouldn't say he is disinterested. His body language is lethargic, I give you that, but there are plenty of players that give off that impression. Conor Smith from Cuchulainns springs to mind. Were you not thaught to not judge a book by it's cover? 

Celt_Man

Aye was over there for a while with a scatter of young ones. great novel idea for them to run. hope they raised a few pound
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

Didn't hear anything but if they broke it, well done to all concerned esp. Nicholas Walsh.  Hopefully next aturday will be a red letter day (or whatever the phrase is).
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: Hollow Man on June 20, 2009, 01:14:43 PM

Just steady on there Hollow before you jump to conclusions.I said I remember Paul Brady playing very well against Down at corner back marking Daniel Hughes in 2004.Paul Brady started the first Down game in 2004 at corner back in Casement marking Daniel Hughes,he played very well that day and Hughes only scored a point. He started the replay and was replaced by Rory Donohue in the 2nd half. So how am I completely wrong?? If you wanna pick holes through everything I write,make sure you have your facts right.
On the Pierson debate-I suppose we will just have to wait and see.Time is running out for him to prove to Ulster how good I know he is but if he gets an injury free run we just might see it. Don't forget that Keoghan had a serious dislike of Pierson which probably didnt help him for the past few years.

Was up in Breifne park Saturday morning,there was a great crowd and it was a credit to all the organisers and all the clubs in the county.

Hollow Man

QuoteI said I remember Paul Brady playing very well against Down at corner back marking Daniel Hughes in 2004.Paul Brady started the first Down game in 2004 at corner back in Casement marking Daniel Hughes,he played very well that day and Hughes only scored a point. He started the replay and was replaced by Rory Donohue in the 2nd half. So how am I completely wrong?? If you wanna pick holes through everything I write,make sure you have your facts right.

::) How are you completely wrong? Because you're talking through your arse Boojangles. Daniel Hughes scored 0-4 FROM PLAY on Paul Brady the first day, not a point as you seem to think.
Check out the report below if you don't believe me.
Just to re-iterate, you are COMPLETELY wrong this time. Again.

Monday May 17 2004

DOWN 1-13
CAVAN 1-13
CAVAN football has harboured Casement Park with the same enthusiasm in recent years as a pilot does for the Bermuda Triangle. Too often it has disappeared without trace on a Sunday afternoon in west Belfast. But there was respite for the pilgrims yesterday, a glint of hope that brightens the horizon.
A draw with Down was better than anything they had experienced on their previous three visits to the city venue. Moreover, it should have been a first Ulster championship win in three years for the Breffni men but for John Clarke's late intervention with an equalising point three minutes into injury time.

Twice Cavan, playing with an extra man for the second half after Michael Higgins was red carded for a double booking after 33 minutes, failed to defend a one-point lead after an inevitable Jason O'Reilly goal had turned their fortunes dramatically 11 minutes from time. In soaring temperatures they should have done better.

Down manager Paddy O'Rourke put it down to his side's character, his counterpart Eamonn Coleman felt their inexperience with the extra man cost them.

"If it was Johnny McGurk or Henry Downey there they would have killed the other team by coming at them," quipped Coleman in reference to his old Derry warhorses.

Both managers retired content with the result and another chance to redress on Sunday week in Kingspan Breffni Park.

However inexperienced Cavan were they must have been delighted with many of their new recruits. Michael Lyng played in the curtain raiser against Antrim 12 months earlier but yesterday he was a leader beyond his years, showing creative touches that gave sound reason for why such a young man was selected at centre-forward.

They had problems at midfield and the direction of Eoghan Elliott's kick-outs while full-back Darren Rabbit had few comfortable moments on Benny Coulter.

But when the ball went in fast to the Cavan forwards they looked dangerous.

Gerald Pearson showed why he carries such a high rating, O'Reilly displayed trademark opportunism while Mark McKeever and Larry Reilly worked tirelessly with Lyng to help reduce a four-point deficit.

Down established a decent foothold early on at midfield where Dan Gordon fielded impressively and Greg McCartan made his presence felt. Dermot McCabe's absence for Cavan through injury hit hard.

Gordon was named at full-forward but a pre-match switch with Benny Coulter worked effectively as Coulter did damage in the first half.

Cavan were 0-4 to 0-2 ahead thanks to some impressive movement in attack but their insistence on short passing out of trouble was high risk and costly.

Once Ward placed Coulter on 24 minutes with a well-directed pass and Rabbit tumbled giving chase, the gap that Down required opened and the Mayobridge man made no mistake.

Two minutes later, O'Reilly might have goaled when he turned Alan Molloy but Michael McVeigh advanced quickly and the danger was cleared.

They continued to trade points up to the break but Down retained their two point advantage (1-7 to 0-8 at half-time) even after Higgins' sending-off for a high challenge on Sean Johnson.

If Coulter was the star of the first half for Down, young Daniel Hughes picked up the baton after the break.

Four shots yielded four points for the Saval man and three in a row, interrupted by a Lyng free, had Cavan in disarray in the third quarter. But then the well dried up for Down as McCartan tired and Gordon began to feel the effects of an earlier knock.

Coleman urged his extra man - it alternated between Eamonn Reilly and Mark McKeever - to get forward, but it was a goal they needed to transform them and it came from an inevitable source.

O'Reilly has been banging them in throughout his career for Cavan and when the chance came on 59 minutes he didn't spurn it, availing of the industry of Anthony Forde and McKeever.

That left Cavan trailing by just one point, 1-10 to 1-11, but soon they were one clear as Lyng rolled his sleeves up. From that point Cavan should have won.

Down substitute Aidan O'Prey flicked over a Doyle free to equalise, Pearson slotted a third point after an intelligently-placed Lyng free but Down's patience was their virtue and O'Rourke's declaration of happiness afterwards when he saw Clarke in possession with time almost elapsed was well-justified.

SCORERS - Down: B Coulter 1-2, D Hughes 0-4, L Doyle 0-4 (4f), R Sexton, J Clarke, A O'Prey 0-1 each. Cavan: M Lyng 0-6 (4f), J O'Reilly 1-2, G Pearson 0-3, L Reilly, S Johnson 0-1 each.

DOWN - M McVeigh; M Higgins, A Molloy, A Scullion; J Clarke, M Cole, S Farrell; D Gordon, G McCartan; L Doyle, S Ward, R Sexton; E McCartan, B Coulter, D Hughes. Subs: J LLavery for Farrell (54), C McCrickard for G McCartan (64), B Grant for Sexton (66), A O'Prey for E McCartan (69).

CAVAN - E Elliott; E Reilly, D Rabbit, P Brady; A Forde, T Crowe, A Gaynor; P McKenna, C Collins; L Reilly, M Lyng, M McKeever; G Pearson, J O'Reilly, S Johnson. Subs: K Crotty for Collins (51), P Reilly for Johnson (61).

REF - D Coldrick (Meath).

Attendance: 19,417.

Hollow Man

By the way, Paul Brady should definitely be on the team as I've said, he's a class act at half-back or half-forward. Just thougth I'd pull Boojangles up on some obvious shite-talking. Now can we get along please? ;)

boojangles

f**k sake,I have been shown up as a true shite talker.I bow down to your greater memory and knowledge and promise to never talk shite again.We will all have to watch what we write now for fear of the wrath of Hollow Man.No more talking through our arses on here and I may get that memory of mine serviced too.

Now would you mind telling me where you got that match report from? I was looking the other day for an old match report and couldnt get anything, or maybe you wanna keep it to yourself and Il carry on talking through my arse ;) ;)

Hollow Man

In fairness, you were badly caught out, especialy when you came back with the whole 'in future, check your facts' thing when you were TOTALLY wrong.

Got it on www.independent.ie.

boojangles

Quote from: Hollow Man on June 22, 2009, 10:30:02 PM
In fairness, you were badly caught out, especialy when you came back with the whole 'in future, check your facts' thing when you were TOTALLY wrong.

Got it on www.independent.ie.

TOTALLY wrong-dunno about that.I was wrong with what Hughes scored,I still say Paul the Gunner played well that day.Or have you Paul the Gunners stats done out somewhere to prove me even further wrong?? ;)
Anyway you'v set a precedent now Hollow,you better be prepared to back everything up from now on. :-*
If theres one thing Boojangles hates-its being proven wrong.