Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trim blue

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 18, 2009, 02:01:05 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 18, 2009, 01:36:32 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 17, 2009, 11:19:35 PM
Then played Tyrone off the park for the first 50 Minutes of the final before losing in the end by 2 points.
id take something similar this year.

Jasus I remember it well. Jayo's goal had Tyrone on the ropes right before half time, no Cavan fan wanted to hear the whistle for the interval that day. Tyrone fans gone very quiet around that point in the game alright! I'm amazed how few intercounty forwards will keep the ball on the deck with less power and more precision when shooting for goals like Jayo has always done, his shots to goals ratio is so high as a result. I despair when lads lash it at head height, always gives the goalie too much of a chance.

Forde was immense at centre half that year too, best in Ulster, but there was a sense of inevitability about the result for me, same as against Armagh a few years later. These were great performances to a point but there's always a deep-down willingness in the Cavan footballer to accept the moral victory I think, why else would we have so many of them? It's this psychological brittleness that worries me about Antrim but I have faith that Tommy can get the lads' heads right.

I f i remember correctlforde was marking stephen o neill that day at ctr back and did well first half. O neill then went into corner forward and the decision was taken to send Forde in after him and O Neill ran riot on him - game over.

That was it, Val Andrews was on telly recently and mentioned that tactical decision as being the turning point (pity it took him 8 years to realise that!) Forde's goal against Derry the following week in the qualifiers was one of the best Cavan goals I ever saw too, albeit to no avail ultimately.
ah sure tog out anyway

cavanmaniac

I f i remember correctlforde was marking stephen o neill that day at ctr back and did well first half. O neill then went into corner forward and the decision was taken to send Forde in after him and O Neill ran riot on him - game over.

Jesus yes, that's right, I'd completely forgotten. Rose-tinted memories and all that.

As for the best goal I've seen Cavan score, it would have to be Larry Reilly's v Donegal in the qualifiers in 2005. Such a shame the cameras weren't there to record it, but the boy Larry collected in space, bolted a few yards closer to goal and unleashed a rocket that somehow travelled from the 14 yard line or so without rising half a foot off the ground. He was unmarked and could have carried closer to goal but obviously just said "f**k it" and let fly from where he was. It nearly ripped the net from its rigging.

My all-time favourite Larry memory.

A close second would be Forde's v Meath in the U21 semi-final in 1996. It might trail behind Larry's in pure technical excellence, but for the sheer sicken-the-stonethrowers factor, it'll never be topped.

boojangles

Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 18, 2009, 03:43:12 PM

Jesus yes, that's right, I'd completely forgotten. Rose-tinted memories and all that.

As for the best goal I've seen Cavan score, it would have to be Larry Reilly's v Donegal in the qualifiers in 2005. Such a shame the cameras weren't there to record it, but the boy Larry collected in space, bolted a few yards closer to goal and unleashed a rocket that somehow travelled from the 14 yard line or so without rising half a foot off the ground. He was unmarked and could have carried closer to goal but obviously just said "f**k it" and let fly from where he was. It nearly ripped the net from its rigging.

A close second would be Forde's v Meath in the U21 semi-final in 1996. It might trail behind Larry's in pure technical excellence, but for the sheer sicken-the-stonethrowers factor, it'll never be topped.

Fordes goal against Derry in 01 definitely stands out although so does Tohills the same day :(
I don't remember Fordes score against Meath in 96.I was at both games,but I suppose I was only a gassin! Description??

mylestheslasher

Quote from: boojangles on June 18, 2009, 04:13:23 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 18, 2009, 03:43:12 PM

Fordes goal against Derry in 01 definitely stands out although so does Tohills the same day :(
I don't remember Fordes score against Meath in 96.I was at both games,but I suppose I was only a gassin! Description??

I remember it well. Cavan were 6 points behind at half time and were sent out to score a goal early which was obvious as they were intent on working the ball in. Forde ran on to a pass took a solo and right on the laces from about 20 yards buried it in the top corner. There was also probably the best Cavan fight that day too when all 30 players on the pitch landed in a big heap boxing each other after some meath tr**p (as we called them back then!) kicked the ball into peter reillys head when he lay injured on the ground. The fight ended when Larry ran from one end of the field to the other, jumped kung fu style at the mass of fighting bodies and then sailed over the whole lot of them without making contact. Everyone stopped fighting and started laughing then :D

cavanmaniac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 18, 2009, 04:17:44 PM
I remember it well. Cavan were 6 points behind at half time and were sent out to score a goal early which was obvious as they were intent on working the ball in. Forde ran on to a pass took a solo and right on the laces from about 20 yards buried it in the top corner. There was also probably the best Cavan fight that day too when all 30 players on the pitch landed in a big heap boxing each other after some meath tr**p (as we called them back then!) kicked the ball into peter reillys head when he lay injured on the ground. The fight ended when Larry ran from one end of the field to the other, jumped kung f* style at the mass of fighting bodies and then sailed over the whole lot of them without making contact. Everyone stopped fighting and started laughing then :D

Classic stuff. And the ref adding on an eternity of injury time before Roy Brennan slotted the free to take it to a replay...or did Forde's goal come in the replay itself? You've a better memory than me I must say, it if wasn't for me name I'd forget where I was from sometimes.

cavan4sam

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on June 18, 2009, 01:33:45 PM
Quote from: Drung on June 18, 2009, 09:42:35 AM
QuoteGunner for Keating
Lyng for Brady
Cahill for Brides
would make the team far stronger,

I believe Lyng is struggling to be fit for Saturday week though.
Could be Pierson coming in at corner forward and Martin Reily moving out to the wing

I think it would be extremely harsh on Brides to be dropped, he didn't put a foot wrong against Fermanagh, apart from a bit of a lapse for the goal which Reilly probably should have kept out.
Also, I think Lyng is trading off his name. When was the last time he played better for Cavan than what Sean Brady showed against Fermanagh? Think about it. Brady scored two from play in a tight game, remember.
Gunner for Keating is fair enough, I think Keating has a big future but not as a back.
Pearson and Jelly don't play well together, there is no chance of the GP starting in my opinion, unless Jelly or Martin Reilly are injured.
Although I agree with your general point about Lyng the fact that Sean Brady scored two points from play shows how misleading statistics can be. I would query if Sean Brady touched the ball in the second half at all. He was anonymous apart from his score(s) (did he definitely get two?). It's not unexpected as he hardly kicked a ball all year for the county. All being well I'd guess that Gunner might come in for Keating at CHB with the latter pushing up to the half-forward line in place of Sean Brady. The other factor to consider is that the likes of Pierson (although slightly injured) and Sean Brady will have benefited from a full hour of club championship last week and both looked quite sharp which will have brought them along.

Sean scored 2 very good points from play and had 1 taken off him in the first couple of minutes. He caught 2 kickouts clean and put in some decent ball to the full forward a couple of which i think resulted in frees that were converted, overall not a bad return I think. I don't think that sort of performance warrants being dropped?? If someone comes in they should have to earn their place. Perhaps Gunner in but I think we should stick with the lads that got us the win against Fermanagh.

mylestheslasher

I really doubt Carr will change things too much to start with. I think Keating off and Gunner on and that will be it. Maybe we are being harsh on brady, he does add some more size and ball winning ability for Miller to aim his kicks at - Lyng wouldn't give you that. What it does give us with Lyng, Larry, Jason, Mulvey (who destroyed Antrim last yr when he came on), Gunner/Keating and pierson is a very strong bench to keep the starting 15 on their toes. Springing Larry in the last 20 minutes when the games breaks up a bit would really put pressure on Antrim. Have to say I am optimistic we can win this and thats not arrogance, I just believe we have slightly better footballers and for a change a manager that can get them in the right frame of mind.

trim blue

All things being equal Brady would replace Keating but he hasn't played in a few weeks and has a bit of an injury too, add in the fact that we won the last day and Carr said afterwards that he only made changes because of tiredness so I can see him starting the same 15 with the changes being made a bit earlier this time. Have to say I like Carr's air of calm authority which bodes well for our mental approach to the game.
ah sure tog out anyway

the salmon of knowledge

i think everyone is being hard on keating... i felt his preformance warrented another day @ CHB.
And how much exactly has gunner done in that position to suggest he is that much better?
the team in my opinion should be:
miller
brides, sheridan, fannin
gunner, keating, mc cuetheon
galligan, walsh
mackey, cullivan, flanagan
johnstone, givney, reilly.

apart from his frees the last day martin reilly would not make the team.
i felt cullivan could have been used further out the field the last day as his fielding and option taking are generally good, and it makes the diamond very physically strong.
givney on the square, as if things are not working for him or walsh, they can switch without using a sub needlessly.

just my opinion

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on June 19, 2009, 05:16:30 PM
i think everyone is being hard on keating... i felt his preformance warrented another day @ CHB.
And how much exactly has gunner done in that position to suggest he is that much better?
the team in my opinion should be:
miller
brides, sheridan, fannin
gunner, keating, mc cuetheon
galligan, walsh
mackey, cullivan, flanagan
johnstone, givney, reilly.

apart from his frees the last day martin reilly would not make the team.
i felt cullivan could have been used further out the field the last day as his fielding and option taking are generally good, and it makes the diamond very physically strong.
givney on the square, as if things are not working for him or walsh, they can switch without using a sub needlessly.

just my opinion
Fair enough SOK but if you questin what the gunner has done to warrant a place the same could be asked of Givney.

boojangles

Paul the Gunner has been playing for Cavan since 2002 and is IMO our most versatile player.I seen him against Roscommon and he was outstanding.No harm to Keating but he had nobody to mark against Fermanagh.We have to go with experience.Maybe Keating in for Sean Brady at HF. I like Givney and think he will make it,but I dunno about starting him.TC obviously likes him at Midfield tho so doubt we will see him at FF,altho IMO thats where Id play him.

put-it-up

I'd personally just put Brady straight in for Brides or Sean Brady. He is versatile and well capable of playing both positions. If Keating wasn't working out at CB, changes can be made without substitutions. Him and Flanagan could swap for example. I think we will need Gunner's athletiscism in the full-back line, Antrim are lively there. Also Podge was excellent the last day, until he began to tire!

I think Carr will not want to change things about unneccesarily and I don't think Givney will start either, has not done enough to deserve it!

Id go with

Miller
Hannon Sheridan Gunner

McCutcheon Keating Podge

Walsh Gallo

Mackey Flanagan Martin Reilly
Johnston Cullivan Pierson

mylestheslasher

Quote from: put-it-up on June 19, 2009, 07:15:52 PM
I'd personally just put Brady straight in for Brides or Sean Brady. He is versatile and well capable of playing both positions. If Keating wasn't working out at CB, changes can be made without substitutions. Him and Flanagan could swap for example. I think we will need Gunner's athletiscism in the full-back line, Antrim are lively there. Also Podge was excellent the last day, until he began to tire!

I think Carr will not want to change things about unneccesarily and I don't think Givney will start either, has not done enough to deserve it!

Id go with

Miller
Hannon Sheridan Gunner

McCutcheon Keating Podge

Walsh Gallo

The only time I saw Brady in the FB line he was marking Benny Coulter and got destroyed. On what basis would you put him at corner back.  Thats madness.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 19, 2009, 09:00:10 PM

Id go with

Miller
Hannon Sheridan Gunner

McCutcheon Keating Podge

Walsh Gallo

The only time I saw Brady in the FB line he was marking Benny Coulter and got destroyed. On what basis would you put him at corner back.  Thats madness.

I agree

boojangles

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 19, 2009, 09:00:10 PM

Id go with

Miller
Hannon Sheridan Gunner

McCutcheon Keating Podge

Walsh Gallo

I remember Gunner starting corner back against Down in 2004,marking Daniel Hughes,played very well. I wouldnt judge him on his performance against Benny tbh.The man can play anywhere IMO but I wouldnt waste him in the corner.Probably sound like an LP at this stage but I cant understand why they aren't playing Fannin,Id put him in for Brides.