Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tierworker blue

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 17, 2009, 07:17:35 PM
Is Millar a nickname for Reilly? 

Reilly did nothing wrong against Fermanagh so why change?

The only place that I would put Gunner in would be posiblely be a wing forward in place of Sean Brady but that would be a bit harsh on Sean.  If he doesn't start, he would be first sub as he could go into defense or attack.

Yep, Big James is aka Miller.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tierworker blue on June 17, 2009, 07:30:12 PM

The only place that I would put Gunner in would be posiblely be a wing forward in place of Sean Brady but that would be a bit harsh on Sean.  If he doesn't start, he would be first sub as he could go into defense or attack.

Yes and he was partly at fault for the goal against Fermanagh due to his general doziness. Thats why people do fitness tests at training so that they might be on their toes to make the ball before the defender. Its not the 1st  time he's been caught like that either. Apart from that I was very impressed with hie variation on kick outs which is something they have obviously been working on

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 17, 2009, 08:07:06 PM

Yes and he was partly at fault for the goal against Fermanagh due to his general doziness. Thats why people do fitness tests at training so that they might be on their toes to make the ball before the defender. Its not the 1st  time he's been caught like that either. Apart from that I was very impressed with hie variation on kick outs which is something they have obviously been working on

:D :D :D  You should see him for the club sometimes.

Homer

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 17, 2009, 08:07:06 PM

As good a shoptstopper as he is It's definitely his weakness. I've seen him caught out once or twice for Drung and he also should have done a lot better for Benny Coulter's goal up in Casement a few years ago.

trim blue

Bang on Maniac, while there is little in it Cavan will still be favourites and we are on a hiding to nothing, anything other than a convincing performance and a sizeable win and we will get little credit, psychologically that leaves Carr and the players a lot to deal with but I am more sure he will get their heads right than anytime since Eamon Coleman. If we were playing Donegal there would be a better chance of us making a significant step up in performance. Having said that I believe that if we get a hold in midfield, and I think we will have the advantage there, then we will take a much higher percentage of our chances than Donegal did. Carr will probably start with the same 15 especially with Gunner and Lyng doubtful but I would expect to see Gunner, Pierson, Givney and Larry come on, after Mulvey's 15 minute cleanout last year he might just get the chance to do the same this year too. Cavan by 2.
ah sure tog out anyway

BallyhaiseMan

Theres sort of a similar feeling to 2001 about this game if anyone can remember,
It was Cavan V Monaghan in the semi final,
Tyrone and could have been Derry/Armagh in other semi, No-one gave Cavan,Monaghan any attention,saying the other semi final was virtually the Ulster Final.
We got through, 0-13 0-11 if i can remember correctly.
Then played Tyrone off the park for the first 50 Minutes of the final before losing in the end by 2 points.
id take something similar this year.

trim blue

True BM but we are arguably coming from a lower base now, in 01 we had McCabe on fire and Peter, Larry & Jason not too far behind, the performance against Down in Casement was one of the best ever by that team and McCabe's finest hour for me. I seem to remember your clubman McCrudden catching some fierce ball in the final but the turning point for me was Larry missing that chance to put us 4 up at the start of the second half and a bit of panic setting in...
ah sure tog out anyway

cavan4ever

Quote from: trim blue on June 17, 2009, 11:14:09 PM
Bang on Maniac, while there is little in it Cavan will still be favourites and we are on a hiding to nothing, anything other than a convincing performance and a sizeable win and we will get little credit, psychologically that leaves Carr and the players a lot to deal with but I am more sure he will get their heads right than anytime since Eamon Coleman. If we were playing Donegal there would be a better chance of us making a significant step up in performance.

I think that is bullshit, a one point win will do well for me anyway.  Antrim and Cavan are two division 3 teams now and its along time since Cavan have had a sizeable win again anyone.

Drung

QuoteGunner for Keating
Lyng for Brady
Cahill for Brides
would make the team far stronger,

I believe Lyng is struggling to be fit for Saturday week though.
Could be Pierson coming in at corner forward and Martin Reily moving out to the wing

I think it would be extremely harsh on Brides to be dropped, he didn't put a foot wrong against Fermanagh, apart from a bit of a lapse for the goal which Reilly probably should have kept out.
Also, I think Lyng is trading off his name. When was the last time he played better for Cavan than what Sean Brady showed against Fermanagh? Think about it. Brady scored two from play in a tight game, remember.
Gunner for Keating is fair enough, I think Keating has a big future but not as a back.
Pearson and Jelly don't play well together, there is no chance of the GP starting in my opinion, unless Jelly or Martin Reilly are injured.

trim blue

Quote from: cavan4ever on June 18, 2009, 08:51:25 AM
Quote from: trim blue on June 17, 2009, 11:14:09 PM
Bang on Maniac, while there is little in it Cavan will still be favourites and we are on a hiding to nothing, anything other than a convincing performance and a sizeable win and we will get little credit, psychologically that leaves Carr and the players a lot to deal with but I am more sure he will get their heads right than anytime since Eamon Coleman. If we were playing Donegal there would be a better chance of us making a significant step up in performance.

I think that is bullshit, a one point win will do well for me anyway.  Antrim and Cavan are two division 3 teams now and its along time since Cavan have had a sizeable win again anyone.

At the end of my post I said that it would be Cavan by 2 so I don't expect us to win handy and would settle for any sort of win.  We got a lot of credit for beating Fermanagh by a point and as Carr said afterwards this made a statement about Cavan football, irrespective of the fact that they are essentially 2 Div 3 teams we will be down as favourites, if we beat Antrim by a similar score we will not get the same credit and unless we win by a sizeable amount no one will be claiming it makes a statement about Cavan football. This will put more pressure on the players and management than was the case with the last match.
ah sure tog out anyway

Denn Forever

Do I care if we don't get credit for beating Antrim? 

An Ulster final place will alleviate any gripes I'd have about not getting credit!
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

trim blue

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 18, 2009, 12:29:15 PM
Do I care if we don't get credit for beating Antrim? 

An Ulster final place will alleviate any gripes I'd have about not getting credit!

The point is knowing you will get no credit for beating a team makes it harder to beat them in the first place and its this pressure on the team I'm talking about
ah sure tog out anyway

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Drung on June 18, 2009, 09:42:35 AM
QuoteGunner for Keating
Lyng for Brady
Cahill for Brides
would make the team far stronger,

I believe Lyng is struggling to be fit for Saturday week though.
Could be Pierson coming in at corner forward and Martin Reily moving out to the wing

I think it would be extremely harsh on Brides to be dropped, he didn't put a foot wrong against Fermanagh, apart from a bit of a lapse for the goal which Reilly probably should have kept out.
Also, I think Lyng is trading off his name. When was the last time he played better for Cavan than what Sean Brady showed against Fermanagh? Think about it. Brady scored two from play in a tight game, remember.
Gunner for Keating is fair enough, I think Keating has a big future but not as a back.
Pearson and Jelly don't play well together, there is no chance of the GP starting in my opinion, unless Jelly or Martin Reilly are injured.
Although I agree with your general point about Lyng the fact that Sean Brady scored two points from play shows how misleading statistics can be. I would query if Sean Brady touched the ball in the second half at all. He was anonymous apart from his score(s) (did he definitely get two?). It's not unexpected as he hardly kicked a ball all year for the county. All being well I'd guess that Gunner might come in for Keating at CHB with the latter pushing up to the half-forward line in place of Sean Brady. The other factor to consider is that the likes of Pierson (although slightly injured) and Sean Brady will have benefited from a full hour of club championship last week and both looked quite sharp which will have brought them along.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 17, 2009, 11:19:35 PM
Then played Tyrone off the park for the first 50 Minutes of the final before losing in the end by 2 points.

Jasus I remember it well. Jayo's goal had Tyrone on the ropes right before half time, no Cavan fan wanted to hear the whistle for the interval that day. Tyrone fans gone very quiet around that point in the game alright! I'm amazed how few intercounty forwards will keep the ball on the deck with less power and more precision when shooting for goals like Jayo has always done, his shots to goals ratio is so high as a result. I despair when lads lash it at head height, always gives the goalie too much of a chance.

Forde was immense at centre half that year too, best in Ulster, but there was a sense of inevitability about the result for me, same as against Armagh a few years later. These were great performances to a point but there's always a deep-down willingness in the Cavan footballer to accept the moral victory I think, why else would we have so many of them? It's this psychological brittleness that worries me about Antrim but I have faith that Tommy can get the lads' heads right.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 18, 2009, 01:36:32 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 17, 2009, 11:19:35 PM

Jasus I remember it well. Jayo's goal had Tyrone on the ropes right before half time, no Cavan fan wanted to hear the whistle for the interval that day. Tyrone fans gone very quiet around that point in the game alright! I'm amazed how few intercounty forwards will keep the ball on the deck with less power and more precision when shooting for goals like Jayo has always done, his shots to goals ratio is so high as a result. I despair when lads lash it at head height, always gives the goalie too much of a chance.

Forde was immense at centre half that year too, best in Ulster, but there was a sense of inevitability about the result for me, same as against Armagh a few years later. These were great performances to a point but there's always a deep-down willingness in the Cavan footballer to accept the moral victory I think, why else would we have so many of them? It's this psychological brittleness that worries me about Antrim but I have faith that Tommy can get the lads' heads right.

I f i remember correctlforde was marking stephen o neill that day at ctr back and did well first half. O neill then went into corner forward and the decision was taken to send Forde in after him and O Neill ran riot on him - game over.