Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Bongo thanks for the report much appreciated in the exile community. Is that Micky Murtagh as in retired from senior a few years ago, well able to hold his own all right. Good to see Neil Donnellan togged out again-take it the likes of Robbie Mulhall and Andy Coleman are gone by the wayside by now. Anyway, good to see youth get it's fling and delighted to see the lads hold their own given that they are playing down at Junior level, not for too long hopefully.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Swadman

Hi Guys, Just in from watching Dernacrieve Gaels (swad & corlough) under 12's win by a point in a semi final against Killygarry. Killygarry must be commended for their management of underage football. Great attitude from young lads and management not F*ing and blinding from the side line. A big crowd came with them to Swad a witnessed a really exciting and close game. Both teams were rightly applauded off the field. The "2 touch" rule has revolutionised the underage game in Cavan, again Killygarry were to the fore in putting it forward and I'm glad to say our club were fully supportive of it. Thanks to a few more progressive clubs it was brought in at U-12 & U-14. If any of you get the chance to catch a game you will see that it can only be good for the future of the game.
On a sadder note i can confirm the injury to G McKiernan will keep him out of football this year. His kneecap came out of place. Going to the Mater, Dublin for further scan to see if any more damage. (hope not) John Cunningham is also out for a while and attending hospital with a swelling behind his eye causing blurred vision. Cracked the socket too in the only dirty incident of the game. Young Levi Murphy was unconcoius for a good half hour but was up and about in the hospital visiting all the Swad men in the ward.
More later

put-it-up

Mickey Murtagh,,,,now there is a man I would not mess with ;D

From the sounds of things there was some amount of injurys at the weekend. We all wish for hard ground, then it break legs and ankles and the whole lot!

On the point about Galligan,from what I am told, he didn't look like the best midfielder on the field, never mind the county at the weekend. Kelleher has some pair of hands on him though and if he knuckled down could make a serious midfielder.

BallyhaiseMan

i dont know much about Mickey Murtagh other than that hes a former Shamrocks stalwart.
But he would want to be some bear of a man to even contemplate going at it one on one with Ronan Crowe,  :D
I could name you the footballers within the county on one hand that could compete with Crowe when the punches start flying   :P

We beat Killeshandra 2-09 to 0-10 on Sunday,Good win,Lots of lads played well,Lots of lads have a lot more in them,Good to see Fergal Slowey back after a year out.

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 16, 2009, 02:13:48 AM
i dont know much about Mickey Murtagh other than that hes a former Shamrocks stalwart.
But he would want to be some bear of a man to even contemplate going at it one on one with Ronan Crowe,  :D
I could name you the footballers within the county on one hand that could compete with Crowe when the punches start flying   :P

We beat Killeshandra 2-09 to 0-10 on Sunday,Good win,Lots of lads played well,Lots of lads have a lot more in them,Good to see Fergal Slowey back after a year out.

How did you get on yourself BH Man? I doubt it will take Slowey long to get up to the pace,he's one lad who looks after himself.

An Laoch

What's the championship structure? Backdoors/groups etc

thanks

boojangles

Quote from: Swadman on June 15, 2009, 11:40:24 PM
The "2 touch" rule has revolutionised the underage game in Cavan, again Killygarry were to the fore in putting it forward and I'm glad to say our club were fully supportive of it. Thanks to a few more progressive clubs it was brought in at U-12 & U-14. If any of you get the chance to catch a game you will see that it can only be good for the future of the game.

Glad to hear that they have implemented this rule in to Underage in the county.I was at the Bord Peil na Nog AGM last year when there was a motion to bring it in for U-14 football.It wasnt passed but it was decided to bring it in for U-13 which our club was fully behind.We played 2 games in last years U-13 Championship and the rule wasnt used in either game.I went to the ref before the game and he knew nothing off it.
But I suppose like most things in this county we are slow to cop on.Delighted to hear its working well anyway.It should improve the overall quality of all players,and will make sure that some teams aren't being carried by 3-4 individuals as has happened for too long in Cavan at Underage.

Denn Forever

Just watched the Antrim - Donegal game.  If Cavan played like they played and Antrim play like they played (I'm trying out for a pundit's job on the Sunday game), I think we're in for a humdinger.  Both teams have good Sigerson experience and so they should be able to stand the pressure and both side have very tasty forwards.

My fear is that both teams may get stage fright and it'll be bity and fractious, but as long as we win, jobs a good'un.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavanmaniac

If Cavan play to their full potential they should win just about, but the being favourites factor concerns me a lot along with the potential for complacency. Ironically given recent championship history I was very confident of a narrow win over Fermanagh in the lead up but not so much so in the case of Antrim because of the psychology at play more than anything.

If we approach it in the right manner then I think we should win it narrowly, for me how Tommy Carr prepares the players mentally is absolutely vital but I'm confident he will.

whats my name

I hear eamon reilly of Shannon Gaels and donal Thomas where brought in to replace watters and mc kiernan they trained last night with the panel

Homer

Might as well post here too.... From Hoganstand....

Brady switches attention to football
14 June 2009

Paul Brady will be available for Cavan's Ulster SFC semi-final against either Donegal or Antrim after returning from his latest handball success in California.

Brady confirmed his number one status on the world handball stage when he defeated legendary American player David Chapman on Friday night to claim his fifth consecutive US Men's Open title. The Mullahoran man will return to the US for the World Championships in October but, in the meantime, will be concentrating all his efforts on football.

"I'm finished with handball until the World Championships in October, so I will be able to concentrate fully on football with Mullahoran and whatever Cavan are involved in," said Brady, who had trained with Tommy Carr's squad before he flew out to the US Nationals.

cavan4ever

Team i would like to see start.

Miller
Hannon
Sheridan
Cahill
P Reilly
Gunner
McCutheon
Walsh
Galligan
Mackey
Flanagan
Lyng
M Reilly
Cullivan
Johnston

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4ever on June 17, 2009, 02:20:02 PM
Team i would like to see start.

Miller
Hannon
Sheridan
Cahill
P Reilly
Gunner
McCutheon
Walsh
Galligan
Mackey
Flanagan
Lyng
M Reilly
Cullivan
Johnston

agree with your selection.
Gunner for Keating
Lyng for Brady
Cahill for Brides
would make the team far stronger,

I believe Lyng is struggling to be fit for Saturday week though.
Could be Pierson coming in at corner forward and Martin Reily moving out to the wing

cavan4ever

Quote from: RednBlack on June 17, 2009, 05:06:36 PM
Gunner has hamstring issue since returning from US. Lyng making slower progress than hoped. McKiernan out for 6 - 9 months. cruciate not ruptured.

Thats good news on Mckiernan.

Denn Forever

Is Millar a nickname for Reilly? 

Reilly did nothing wrong against Fermanagh so why change?

The only place that I would put Gunner in would be posiblely be a wing forward in place of Sean Brady but that would be a bit harsh on Sean.  If he doesn't start, he would be first sub as he could go into defense or attack.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...