Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 14, 2009, 10:04:14 PM
Crawl, Walk, Run.

Correct, 100%.

Put it this way, if you offered an Antrim man (or woman come to think of it) the chance to take part in an Ulster final for the first time in 30 plus years with one win necessary, who would they want in their way? They have their wish, and so have we.

Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

imtommygunn

Last 4 c'ship matches...

Cavan 2 wins
Antrim 1 win
1 draw

Drung

Cavan have beaten Antrim five or six times in the last few years in McKenna Cup and championship and drew a couple of times. That's a better record than we have against anyone.
Plus, Antrim were the only Division Four team in Ulster.
If we're being honest, Cavan usually beat Antrim most of the time and if both sides play to their best, Cavan will beat them again.
However, if we underperform - as we often do - they should beat us.

imtommygunn

Drung if I recall correctly you beat us by a point this year and we beat you by a point last year so I'm not sure about your 5 or 6 times...

I think there's also been a draw off late.

boojangles

Jesus the ambulances were in big demand this weekend! Mark Lynch from Crosserlough rushed off in an ambulance.Not sure whats the matter,think it was his ankle.Could be ligaments?
A game of 2 halfs really in the Park. Crooserlough showed great heart in the 1st,defended very well,particularly Colin Lynch at Full-Back and Pauric McKiernan at Midfield.Ballinagh kicked some very bad wides and looked very shaky.Half time was 1-3 to 0-2 to the Lough.But whatever John Mulvaney said at half time worked a treat as the Nagh came out a different side in the second half.Niall McDermott was the key man,with alot going through him,he kicked some fine scores and Pauric and Niall Reilly were outstanding also.I would have been moving Colin Lynch over on McDermott TBH,very impressed with Lynch throughout.Game finished 1-12 to 1-07 to Ballinagh.Ballinagh mite fancy their chances of beating Mullahoran if they could produce that second half display again.Cavan Gaels next for them though.
Gaynor came on with 5 minutes to go.

Cavan Antrim will be a war of attrition Id imagine.Its a massive chance for both teams,and as pointed out Antrim have massive motivation to reach their first Ulster final since 1970? playing the one team they would fancy their chances against.Alot has changed in both counties since we met last year so its hard to take anything from that win.Ultimately its 2 Division 3 sides so no reason for Cavan to be cocky. Time will tell how far Cavan have come.

Homer

Not much to add on what Boojangles has said (Although I think it's Mullahoran and not the Gaels up next for Ballinagh (I think!))

Ballinagh started lively but wanted to rush the ball over the bar, and over-panicked and hurried themselves when it started to take a while. Having said that Crosserlough's defending was immense in the first half but they just didn't get enough relief from their midfield and half-forward line. Our lot eventually found their shooting boots in the second half and probably won the match in a 20 minute spell.

Also attended the Gaels-Mullahoran and Castlerahen-Ramor matches. Gaels never had to get out of second gear and it was hard to believe Mullahoran were so close to them for long periods of the game. Wouldn't take much out of Mullahoran's performance, they'll give ourselves and Crosserlough a much sterner test.

Castlerahen looked impressive, again without going through many gears, Mackey was the key-man and didn't show any ill-effects from the Fermanagh game. Ramor were far cry from last years side. Was Aido Cole injured?

Mark Lynch's injury looked to be the ankle, poor fella was in a lot of distress. Hopefully it isn't as bad as feared. Most of this weekends matches were played on very ground that had a spill of rain a couple of hours before, unfortunately those conditions are always liable for serious leg injuries.

cavan4ever

Anyone have any view on Oisin Minagh from Redhills.  He has a outstanding game yesterday marking Keith Fannin at both wing back and full back.

boojangles

Quote from: cavan4ever on June 15, 2009, 02:00:48 PM
Anyone have any view on Oisin Minagh from Redhills.  He has a outstanding game yesterday marking Keith Fannin at both wing back and full back.

Don't know alot about him,TBH wasnt that impressed with him as a Minor last year but I did hear that he was outstanding yesterday,keeping Fannin out of the game and also scoring 2 points himself.Definitelt looks one for the future.
Redhills definitely should not be taken for granted by any team at Senior level.I heard they were superb yesterday,kicking most of the 2-17 from play.I thought Drumbride would put up a better show,but I suppose playing 2 Championship matches in the 1 wkend is always gonna be tough.Plus I just don't see what the motivation could be.
Belturbet also had a good win against the other amalgamation,West Cavan Gaels, 3-11 to 1-9 I heard.

cavan4ever

Quote from: boojangles on June 15, 2009, 03:12:48 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on June 15, 2009, 02:00:48 PM

Don't know alot about him,TBH wasnt that impressed with him as a Minor last year but I did hear that he was outstanding yesterday,keeping Fannin out of the game and also scoring 2 points himself.Definitelt looks one for the future.
Redhills definitely should not be taken for granted by any team at Senior level.I heard they were superb yesterday,kicking most of the 2-17 from play.I thought Drumbride would put up a better show,but I suppose playing 2 Championship matches in the 1 wkend is always gonna be tough.Plus I just don't see what the motivation could be.
Belturbet also had a good win against the other amalgamation,West Cavan Gaels, 3-11 to 1-9 I heard.

The Drumgoon lads had a Stag on Saturday night and i dont think they were drinking water at it, really is a pointless experiment and after the beating they got yesterday id say they wont be interested in it for much longer. 

Just to update you on Barry Watters it is his ankle and Knee that are injured.  I heard Geroid Mckiernan was heading to London today to get his injury accessed, maybe swadman will update when he is on. 

I wonder will TC call up anyone to replace these two.

Homer

Quote from: Homer on June 15, 2009, 11:48:32 AM
Although I think it's Mullahoran and not the Gaels up next for Ballinagh (I think!)

Wrong again, Gaels up next. Handy win for us  :P

cavan4ever

Quote from: Homer on June 15, 2009, 04:17:14 PM
Although I think it's Mullahoran and not the Gaels up next for Ballinagh (I think!)

When are these games going to be anyway?

boojangles

Quote from: Homer on June 15, 2009, 04:17:14 PM

I was thinking,It was your Goalie,Mr McCarthy who said it to me.

We were told that the next Championship match miten't b for 6-7 weeks.They are after changing from the Master Fixtures as usual >:(.One of our players is off to the States in July for 3weeks,he was supposed to only miss one game going on the Master fixtures,now it looks like he will miss 2.They will be going ahead with the next round of League fixtures in 3 weeks.

whats my name

from what i hear they are bring in a few new players onto the panel this week to train I'm not sure if its to replace the two boys or is it just for them to get experience with the senior setup!!!!

Bongo

I'm delighted that Bailieborough won their first champ match against Drung on Saturday. I was afraid that the step up from Div 3 fare would be too much for them. The momentum they've carryed into the match has stood them well. Hopefully they can keep it going now for the next match against Ballymachugh. The shamrocks were underdogs for this match and I think that was also in their favour. They wont have that luxury the next time and I'd say it'll be a very tight game.

I was a bit disappointed in the way Drung approached the game. They had obviously been instructed to hit Bailieborough hard, however I felt that they overdid the niggly stuff. Their no.5 never quit at it with P.Sharkey. To be honest I'm suprised Sharkey didn't swing for him at some stage. Bailieborough were caught out be this tactic and although they won they had 2 men sent off for retalatory swipes, Paddy Bird with 2 yellows and Neil Donnellan with a straight red.

I thought that Galligan started the game very well and I felt that we were going to get a bit of a hiding. But our lads stuck to the task and after about 15 mins Galligan faded out of the game. Now and again he showed glimpses of what you might expect from a county man, but in fairness he should have been lording over our 2 relatively limited (no offence intended) midfielders. He also was nowhere to be seen when Drung needed him most, near the end, when they mounted a comeback of sorts.

It's still a big ask for the shamrocks but I think we can qualify out of this group, probably along with Drumgoon.

I thought Jimmy Clarke, Gary Reilly, Declan Reilly, Paddy Bird all did well for the shamrocks. The 2 midfielders, Ollie Kelleher and Damien Sheridan, have to be comended for their display also, full of heart and workrate. Indeed that could be said of the entire team.

Another small bit of entertainment was seeing Ronan Crowe and Micky Murtagh squaring up to each other on the sideline. That would have been a hell of a fight if it had developed!

On a final note, I hope that Barry Watters makes a speedy recovery. It's not nice to see that happening to any young lad, especially a guy with his potential. Brian O'Callaghan was also carried off after about 2 minutes, hopefully he will make a quick recovery too.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Bongo on June 15, 2009, 09:02:40 PM
I'm delighted that Bailieborough won their first champ match against Drung on Saturday. I was afraid that the step up from Div 3 fare would be too much for them. The momentum they've carryed into the match has stood them well. Hopefully they can keep it going now for the next match against Ballymachugh. The shamrocks were underdogs for this match and I think that was also in their favour. They wont have that luxury the next time and I'd say it'll be a very tight game.

I was a bit disappointed in the way Drung approached the game. They had obviously been instructed to hit Bailieborough hard, however I felt that they overdid the niggly stuff. Their no.5 never quit at it with P.Sharkey. To be honest I'm suprised Sharkey didn't swing for him at some stage. Bailieborough were caught out be this tactic and although they won they had 2 men sent off for retalatory swipes, Paddy Bird with 2 yellows and Neil Donnellan with a straight red.

I thought that Galligan started the game very well and I felt that we were going to get a bit of a hiding. But our lads stuck to the task and after about 15 mins Galligan faded out of the game. Now and again he showed glimpses of what you might expect from a county man, but in fairness he should have been lording over our 2 relatively limited (no offence intended) midfielders. He also was nowhere to be seen when Drung needed him most, near the end, when they mounted a comeback of sorts.

It's still a big ask for the shamrocks but I think we can qualify out of this group, probably along with Drumgoon.

I thought Jimmy Clarke, Gary Reilly, Declan Reilly, Paddy Bird all did well for the shamrocks. The 2 midfielders, Ollie Kelleher and Damien Sheridan, have to be comended for their display also, full of heart and workrate. Indeed that could be said of the entire team.

Another small bit of entertainment was seeing Ronan Crowe and Micky Murtagh squaring up to each other on the sideline. That would have been a hell of a fight if it had developed!

On a final note, I hope that Barry Watters makes a speedy recovery. It's not nice to see that happening to any young lad, especially a guy with his potential. Brian O'Callaghan was also carried off after about 2 minutes, hopefully he will make a quick recovery too.

Paddy Bird got his second yellow for dragging a Drung player who beat him to the ball to the ground not for retaliating.  Baileboro gave as good as they got, and i wouldnt be happy about the way Watters got injured.  That is typical Galligan and im glad you said it because i would get slatted if i said it.  As for getting out of group i think you will but wont go any further.