Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tierworker blue

Quote from: cavan4ever on June 12, 2009, 10:38:07 AM
Quote from: tierworker blue on June 11, 2009, 09:18:56 PM
Any stirrings on whether the Cavan v Donegal / Antrim match will be a pay in or an all ticket affair?

Id be pretty confident that it will be pay at the gate but the covered stand will be tickets.

Aye, I was thinking that allright. Cheers dude...

Babe Ruth 47

Strange game alright in the park with peculiar refereeing to add to the mix. Killygarry again seem the lack the determination to drive on when they get a lead. Major flaw in my opinion. In fairness to Denn though, they kicked a couple of great points to bring it back level when they were 4-1 down. Denn seemed to just try and defend their 4 point lead right from the throw in in the second half. They very seldom got forward though Killygarry lacked the guile to brake down the packed defence. Martin Reilly kicked some huge scores from frees from the ground, one of which must have bee 55 yards on his bad side. Very strange refereeing throughout, Killygarry's wee centre forward (Mc Gorven i think) was nearly decapitated on at least 2 occasions and didn't even get a free. Strange too to see Killygarry get more cards, both yellow and red over the course of the hour despite Denn being the team playing on the edge. One of the strangest decisions of the lot was the decision to penalise the Killygarry no. 18 for over carrying in front of the post despite having only landed after catching the ball. In fairness to the referee though the linesmen, especially those under the stand, seem afraid of intimidation if they make a controversial decision.

Overall the standard of football was poor, the only players standing out were Martin Reilly, Thomas Corr and Mousey (Cant remember his name, Denn no.13 i think). As mentioned Reilly was outstanding from frees and played well in general. Thomas Corr and his partner Mc Kiernan absolutely destroyed the Killygarry midfield. Corr in particular was excellent in the air and driving forward at every opportunity. Kicked one very important point too. I think the lad has great potential as an intercounty footballer. I understand he got a run under that previous goon Keoghan, but maybe if he got a run under a decent management set up he could thrive, he has the basics of height, power and ability in the air. That Mousey lad was a useful outlet for Denn, his pace had the Killygarry defence panicing every time he got the ball. Eoin Smith was also extremely composed through out. Very confident under a number of high balls.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on June 12, 2009, 02:03:40 PM
Strange game alright in the park with peculiar refereeing to add to the mix. Killygarry again seem the lack the determination to drive on when they get a lead. Major flaw in my opinion. In fairness to Denn though, they kicked a couple of great points to bring it back level when they were 4-1 down. Denn seemed to just try and defend their 4 point lead right from the throw in in the second half. They very seldom got forward though Killygarry lacked the guile to brake down the packed defence. Martin Reilly kicked some huge scores from frees from the ground, one of which must have bee 55 yards on his bad side. Very strange refereeing throughout, Killygarry's wee centre forward (Mc Gorven i think) was nearly decapitated on at least 2 occasions and didn't even get a free. Strange too to see Killygarry get more cards, both yellow and red over the course of the hour despite Denn being the team playing on the edge. One of the strangest decisions of the lot was the decision to penalise the Killygarry no. 18 for over carrying in front of the post despite having only landed after catching the ball. In fairness to the referee though the linesmen, especially those under the stand, seem afraid of intimidation if they make a controversial decision.

Overall the standard of football was poor, the only players standing out were Martin Reilly, Thomas Corr and Mousey (Cant remember his name, Denn no.13 i think). As mentioned Reilly was outstanding from frees and played well in general. Thomas Corr and his partner Mc Kiernan absolutely destroyed the Killygarry midfield. Corr in particular was excellent in the air and driving forward at every opportunity. Kicked one very important point too. I think the lad has great potential as an intercounty footballer. I understand he got a run under that previous goon Keoghan, but maybe if he got a run under a decent management set up he could thrive, he has the basics of height, power and ability in the air. That Mousey lad was a useful outlet for Denn, his pace had the Killygarry defence panicing every time he got the ball. Eoin Smith was also extremely composed through out. Very confident under a number of high balls.

I doubt if he is happy with his free taking, he missed some easy enough ones and seemed to kick the harder ones.   

I like the way you get your usual Eoin Smith is god statement in  :P

Mr. Pain

Quote from: boojangles on June 11, 2009, 10:06:25 PM
BH Man I was waiting on your Championship predictions all day with bated breath,very disappointed :P :P

Quote from: boojangles on June 12, 2009, 10:32:00 AM
Id never try to fill your boots BH Man. :P

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 08, 2009, 12:39:41 PM
You say the nicest things...  :-*

Love is in the air, do do do do do do...

No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Mr. Pain on June 12, 2009, 03:17:09 PM
Quote from: boojangles on June 11, 2009, 10:06:25 PM
BH Man I was waiting on your Championship predictions all day with bated breath,very disappointed :P :P

Quote from: boojangles on June 12, 2009, 10:32:00 AM
Id never try to fill your boots BH Man. :P

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 08, 2009, 12:39:41 PM
You say the nicest things...  :-*

Love is in the air, do do do do do do...

I cant believe you went to the bother of copying and pasting that. ;D
You playing this weekend Mr Pain? how do you fancy your chances(with the game that is  :o )

boojangles

Its a terror the way people can read a game differently.My brother was in the park and he said that Eoin McPhillips had the upper hand on Martin Reilly while he also said that while Eoin Smith marked his man well,he was fairly quiet and never looked for the ball.
Who was the referee last nite anyway?

Me and BH Man would definitely make a great couple.Like he knows who I am,Im just waiting on the first move!

Mr Pain oh wise one 8) -come on put your neck on the line and give us your predictions for the Championship?

Great evening for a game,hopefully we get a humdinger in the Park.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on June 12, 2009, 06:21:08 PM

Its a terror the way people can read a game differently.My brother was in the park and he said that Eoin McPhillips had the upper hand on Martin Reilly while he also said that while Eoin Smith marked his man well,he was fairly quiet and never looked for the ball.
Who was the referee last nite anyway?

Me and BH Man would definitely make a great couple.Like he knows who I am,Im just waiting on the first move!

Mr Pain oh wise one 8) -come on put your neck on the line and give us your predictions for the Championship?

Great evening for a game,hopefully we get a humdinger in the Park.
Tis strange how games are seen differently. While the Denn midfield were on top overall the first 15 minutes I couldn't believe how dominant Killygarry were. Donal Thomas rose uncontested on more than one occassion to claim kick-outs. Padraig Cahill was dominating at CB and then all of a sudden at 0-04 - 0-01 up they all stopped playing. I don't think McPhilips had the better of Reilly although he played quite well on the ball. I also thought Eoin Smith was brought out to the middle too much to assess overall.

put-it-up

Wasn't impressed by Denn and Ki;ygarry at all last night. Denn are desperately short of some fire power and lets jsut say the refereeing was dubious to say the least! What eegit let a Kingscourt ref, do the game anyway!

Our boys Bailieborough are in for a big test tomorro against Drung, don't know if they have it in them.

Denn Forever

CG won but it was rather a damp squib. 

He who holds Sean Johnson have some hope.  Not a lot but some. 

CG always were in control and Mullahoran were in it, fluctuating between 2 to 3 points in arrears at the start of the 2nd half.  Mullahoran should have put away a 21 yard free but it was given welly, hit the post and rebounded far out.  After that, CG coasted.

Was somebody sent off?  Throughout the second half, Eamonn Reilly seemed to be playing sweeper but in any case Mullahoran couldn't get the ball up.

A poor two games in the Park.  Ah well there is always tomorrow.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Babe Ruth 47

Agree with the above in the main. Final score 12 to 1-5. Another poor game, decent 1st but atrocious second half. Fairly tame game in general. Johnston the Gael main and arguably only attacking threat. More to follow at a more reasonable hour..............

sams the aim

yea poor game in breffni gaels always looke dcomfortable. Johnston class of his own although looked a bit injured and not overly pushed by the end everything he does just produces sumit. Mullahorn were poor and are very hit and miss in front of goal. hopefully tomorrows games will be better. Mullahorn goalie very good i have to say some super saves.

RednBlack

Congrats to Paul Brady on his win in the states last night. The man is a true superstar.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0612/bradyp.html
"Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is." -Vince Lombardi

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: sams the aim on June 13, 2009, 12:29:25 AM
yea poor game in breffni gaels always looke dcomfortable.  :-* :-* :-*Johnston class of his own although looked a bit injured and not overly pushed by the end everything he does just produces sumit :-* :-* :-*. Mullahorn were poor and are very hit and miss in front of goal. hopefully tomorrows games will be better. Mullahorn goalie very good i have to say some super saves.

boojangles

Quote from: RednBlack on June 13, 2009, 08:41:14 AM
Will never understand how Eamonn Brady was not Cavan goalie for a number of years. The guy is a top class football man and is proving it even still not only on the pitch but off it with is work at underage with Castletara.

Couldnt agree more,the save he pulled off from Maloney in the 2nd half was Top drawer.A very quiet,unassuming man but still the best goalkeeper in Senior football in the county.

Drung

Good enough keeper, cost them a county final one year though.
Of senior ranks, the Lacken, Cuchullains, Belturbet, Redhills goalkeepers are all fairly good.