Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Mr Keoghan got off light enough in court.  I don't think the rest of us would have got off as lightly. :o

cavan4ever

Team according to northern sound .

Anderson, Cahill, Forde, Fannin, Flanagan, Reilly, P Brady , Mccabe, Walsh, Cullivan, McKeever, Cunningham, Pierson, Gallagher, Jason

Homer

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 08, 2007, 03:35:36 PM
Team according to northern sound .

Anderson, Cahill, Forde, Fannin, Flanagan, Reilly, P Brady , Mccabe, Walsh, Cullivan, McKeever, Cunningham, Pierson, Gallagher, Jason

Could be Andersons chance to prove himself with Miller out.

Anyone know why Mickey Brennan was dropped?

Or anyone have any information on the situation with Micheal Hannon for that matter?

cavan4ever

Dunno homer . Did rabbite or lyng play with gaels last weekend?

Homer

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 08, 2007, 04:43:40 PM
Dunno homer . Did rabbite or lyng play with gaels last weekend?

Gaels match was called off but they were due to tog out alright. Wouldn't be surprised to see the two introduced at some stage.

cavan4ever

They need some action anyway but i can't see it happening unless were winning well which is unlikely as this will be a tough game sligo will be no pushover.

cavanmaniac

Forde STILL at full back. Big mistake, Sligo are the first team we've faced since Meath who will really put it up to us. Have they any class of a big target man full-forward? If so we're in trouble!

I can't believe they regard Forde as a viable full-back back-up, it's ridiculous.

cavan4ever

Well if there not careful if could cos promotion.  who else is there on the panel . Brennan prehaps?

The Bottom Brick

Does anyone thiak Mickey Hannon is an option at full back? And what happned to Thomas Corr?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Homer

Quote from: The Bottom Brick on March 09, 2007, 12:46:24 PM
Does anyone thiak Mickey Hannon is an option at full back? And what happned to Thomas Corr?

Mossy Corr was dropped off the panel.

I presumed Hannon was injured when he was only named on the bench earlier this year but still no sign of him plying so I don't know what the story is. He marked Declan Browne, Dessie Dolan and Benny Coulter (he tried hard with benny but could't compete with his strength) still Cavans best defender IMO.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavanmaniac on March 09, 2007, 10:06:51 AM
Forde STILL at full back. Big mistake, Sligo are the first team we've faced since Meath who will really put it up to us. Have they any class of a big target man full-forward? If so we're in trouble!

I can't believe they regard Forde as a viable full-back back-up, it's ridiculous.

Sligo are not a big team in general but they do have that Brehony lad who is handy and would be troublesome at FF. Agree that we are making a mistake leaving forde back there.

cavan4ever

Hannon must be still injured cos he didn't play with drumgoon last weekend

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan 1-9 Sligo 0-10

shockingly bad game.

Cavan team

1.Colm Anderson,Kickouts werent great,gave the ball away from a free and wasnt convincing unde rthe high ball.

2.Martin Cahill, was up against the very fast number 13 of sligo David Kelly who caused him some problems.Made some crucial interceptions.Overall solid. 7

3.Anthony Forde,Played well,won his battle with Sean Davey,But will be found wanting under the high ball if Cavan persist with him here. 7

4.Keith Fannin, his man dragged him out as a third midfielder,that was a mistake,Fannin done alot more harm going forward than he did, was at the heart of everything good for Cavan last night. 8

5.Ronan Flanagan,Very assured on the ball, a lovely footballer.done very well last night 8.

6.Eamon Reily,Very good last night,Broke forward well and was very assure defensively,Hes definetely growing as  an intercounty CHB. 8

7.Paul Brady,Gunner was very solid last night,His fielding ability is unmatched by anyone on the Cavan team except for maybe Cullivan, If only he was 3 inches taller. 7

8.Dermot McCabe, was ok, Not vintage McCabe by any means,There wasnt much in the way of primary possession won by either sets of midfielders, 6

9.Nicholas Walsh,Decent,started out on a marking job on O Hara,Then switched into Full Forward where he caused a couple of problems.Limped off in the second half. 6

10.Cian Mackey, started in place of the listed Ray Cullivan,Done ok in my opinion,unless he improves i cant see him being in contention for a starting place come May. 6

11.Mark McKeever,Scored a lovely point in the first half,more of the same from McKeever as we have seen in the first few league games, a very solid work ethic combined with flashes of his outstanding ability. 7

12.Michael Cunningham,probably not his best display for Cavan,But tried hard, was switched out onto O Hara after about 25 minutes.Took the wrong option a couple of times,Replaced in the second half. 6

13.Gerard Pierson, Gerard had a proverbial nightmare,nothing went right for him last night,It was just one of those days. 6

14.Rory Gallagher,kicked two wonderful 45's and was very good from open play as well.Best display for Cavan this year so far. 8

15.Jason Reily, Kicked some great frees including an amazing one from out on the right wing.good from open play as well. 8

Subs
Sean Johnston, Held the ball up well when he came on, solid 7
Larry Reily,Didnt have much impact really,But good to see him back in contention 6
Lorcan Mulvey,Punched the ball into the net from a Fannin long ball,Carried the ball well near the end when Sligo were on top. Very good. 8
Martin Reily, only came on in the last few seconds.

Overall a dire game,
Poor tactics by the Cavan management in my opinion,short passing in defense allowing sligo to group behind the ball,Then when getting to midfield,Delivering it long into a forward line completely outnumbered.
Midfield was outgunned.Im Sorry but the McCabe and Walsh combination isnt physically big enough if we are to have any chance come May,Dan Gordon and Coulter would clean them out.
some of the ball handling and basic skills were sloppy at times,but i suppose thats to be expected in early March.
One more comment,i already mentioned the lack of height in midfield.
The overall size of the team from 2-9 is worrying
Small Full Back line
Small Half back line
undersized midfield.

BallyhaiseMan

Keith Fannin was outstanding last night i thought but as you said Brick,he may not be best suited for corner back...why not try him at wing forward,hes great on the ball.

Darren Rabbitte/Michael Brennan is a must at Full back,
It goes to show the lack of management skills of our opponents in This Division,that they havent got it scouted that we have a small full back line and its vulnerable under the high ball.

team i would love to see the next day

Anderson(im guessing we are stuck with him now Miller is injured)
Cahill
Rabbite/Brennan
Forde
Gunner
Chesty
Flano
Mulvey
McCabe
Cunningham
McKeever
Fannin
Jayo
Gallagher
Pierson/Jelly

Cullivan is a serious injury doubt for the under 21 game next week,
Hannon has had hamstring trouble,but im guessing hes fairly near full fitness
No sign of Lyng last night wasnt named in the subs
Jonathan Crowes suspension is also up,named in the subs last night.

mylestheslasher

I thought that was a very poor show from us last night and I think only for a generous ref we would have lost that game. Our full forward line were completely marked out of the game with sligos back line sticking to them like glue. I can't remember Pierson or Jason once getting away from their men. Saying that the ball into them in the 1st half was brutal and too slow getting in. Sligo were unlucky to be 5 down at half time. Think they hit the post 2 or 3 times. We did well in the backs in general but they had no really big FF to test Forde. Anderson was a complete disaster, his kicks had way to much height so into the wind they just sit up there waiting for Sligo men to slap them down onto the onrunning sligo forwards. He was also very indecisive on a couple of occasions and could have leaked a goal in that game. I thought Mulvey did very well when he came on. Worst player on the pitch for me was Mackey. He is completely brainless. Always taking the wrong decision, running into five defenders and over turning possesion. Stupid shot from close in for a point when he should have fisted it over. Then with a few minutes left him and johnson totally f**k up a two on one chance for a possible goal or match sealing point. He was even stupid to go running in on his own for that last point after Gallagher had done well to settle us down for a bit of keep ball at the corner flag. How he stayed on the field is a mystery to me.

In general we were a bit clueless when Sligo filtered men back. We have no plan B - a big target man at FF as I see it. Wexford seem to be back on track and they have to play us and Meath. There is a way to go yet before this promotion is earned.