Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the salmon of knowledge

Well, i questioned what Cavan could do to counter the higher workrate of Fermanagh... well work harder seems to be the answer! I am one of the ones who will quite happily hold my hand up and say i was wrong, heart and guts won the day for Cavan with jelly, mackey and IMO keating especially doing very well, not to mention some great deadball kicking from M reilly (first time Cavan kicked a 45 in the last 6 yrs in championship).
Walsh nullified Mcgrath, and Cullivan caused all sorts of problems in the first half.
Keatings diagional ball to jelly against the wind really drove cavan forward in the 1st half, i would have liked to see that idea empolyed more in the second half, high ball to Cullivan was very easily dealt with.
Great stuff, and there will be a huge amount of confidence gained.
Hard to fault them but Fermanagh seemed to be at their best when Cavan didnt mark up at quick frees.
Well done lads

sams the aim

Babe Ruth it seems u find it hard to give a certain mr johnston uch credit.how can u say it was selfish i believe he passed that one to flanaga.as far as i was concerned and although m reilly played well he was d only Cavan player who played a bit selfishly.delighted for the lads was in the stand at the end and seen seanie come out of the dressing room and hand his jersey to a young lad.his face lit up was a lovely touch. Very good display from all put in some serious work. Galligan and walsh worked so hard fair play to both. mackey outstanding and brides and all the back line tackled until they dropped. bit disappointed with ronan hope d captaincy is not to much on his shoulders.absolutely brilliant footballer thou and d semi final is now made for him noone will be looking at him before it. Lyng will not get back in d team as far i can see has not really shown us enough in d last few years to give him a start.dnt no about gunner its hard to change anything or anyone.Tom carr also gets a thumbs up had d lads very motivated wel done to d management. Wud anyone like to give ratings on the players? again well done to all.

put-it-up

Quote from: sams the aim on June 08, 2009, 06:59:36 PM
Babe Ruth it seems u find it hard to give a certain mr johnston uch credit.how can u say it was selfish i believe he passed that one to flanaga.as far as i was concerned and although m reilly played well he was d only Cavan player who played a bit selfishly.delighted for the lads was in the stand at the end and seen seanie come out of the dressing room and hand his jersey to a young lad.his face lit up was a lovely touch. Very good display from all put in some serious work. Galligan and walsh worked so hard fair play to both. mackey outstanding and brides and all the back line tackled until they dropped. bit disappointed with ronan hope d captaincy is not to much on his shoulders.absolutely brilliant footballer thou and d semi final is now made for him noone will be looking at him before it. Lyng will not get back in d team as far i can see has not really shown us enough in d last few years to give him a start.dnt no about gunner its hard to change anything or anyone.Tom carr also gets a thumbs up had d lads very motivated wel done to d management. Wud anyone like to give ratings on the players? again well done to all.

Nah there are no need for ratings - the performance should be remembered for a Cavan team looking hungry and willing to roll up their sleeves and work hard! Have not been able to say that too often in recent years

BallyhaiseMan

Senior
Gaels

Intermediate
Lavey

Junior
Mountnugent

the salmon of knowledge

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 09, 2009, 03:24:32 PM
Senior
Gaels

Intermediate
Lavey

Junior
Mountnugent

nice one BHM  i am actually sticking 50 on that triple, have not done it yet cause i reckon the leaguers are in with a shout in IFC...
guidence anyone???

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on June 09, 2009, 10:40:15 PM
Senior
Gaels

Intermediate
Lavey

Junior
Mountnugent

nice one BHM  i am actually sticking 50 on that triple, have not done it yet cause i reckon the leaguers are in with a shout in IFC...
guidence anyone???
50 quid? Well you are the Salmon of Knowledge. Have a fancy for Gowna, a last hurrah for McCabe perhaps. I'll go for the Graham touch to win it for Ballyhaise in the Intermediate and the junior I can't say I know a lot about. Looking forward to four nights in Breffni. ;D ;D

boojangles

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on June 09, 2009, 10:40:15 PM
Senior
Gaels

Intermediate
Lavey

Junior
Mountnugent

guidence anyone???

Killeshandra might well cause a few surprises and may even put ourselves out of the Championship but in the grand scheme of things I honestly cant see them winning it.I know we were young when we won it,but Killeshandra are relying on 2 Under-21s around the middle of the field,and their forward line is young too.I think they may hav peaked too early and reading Ciaran O Reilly(their manager) in the Echo?? last week,it reinforced my view.
A very fit,well organised team with a great work rate and a bit of belief can win the Intermediate.It doesnt take a team with lots of outstanding footballers,just a team that will out work its opponents.

tierworker blue

Good win on Saturday...nice to see honest effort and pride in the jersey. I don't know how many times we've seen Cavan teams bottle winnable games, so it was refreshing to go the whole way, so to speak. Lets hope we can build from here...the only way is up!

BallyhaiseMan

BallyhaiseMans championship preview and predictions

Senior Championship

Killygarry-Doing well again this year in the league,had a terrific championship last year with the exception of one half of football.
Players like Martin Reily,Donal Thomas,Pauric Chaill,Thomas Leonard will carry them far,i dont know if they have the overall quality to beat the Gaels,but i dont think its a stretch to say they are one of the top teams in the county now.

Prediction-Semi Finalists

Denn-Disasterous league campaign following a terrific run to the Championship final this year,Should be doing better with players like Martin Cahill,David Kiernan,Thomas Corr and co,But unless they improve greatly,I can see them playing intermediate championship in 2010.

Prediction-Relegation to intermediate

Mullahoran-up and down league campaign so far,But with Eddie Reily,Ciaran Sheils,Dermot Sheridan and co at the helm,They will be tough to beat.
I dont think they have the scoring forwards to beat the Gaels,but they will more than likely go far.

Prediction- Semi Finalists

Cavan Gaels-The standard bearers of Cavan football over the last number of years,They are only going to get stronger,with the Likes of Robert Maloney Derham,Kevin Meehan,Niall Murray,Niall Smith,Conor McClarey all breaking through to the first team,Add to that the wealth of experience and class in Walsh,Forde,Chesty,Darren Rabbitte,Enda King,Michael Lyng and Jelly.
Really unless they flop on the day,Theres no-one good enough to beat them.

Prediction- Winners

Redhills-Started brightly in the league,but have lost a few games recently,Paddy Gumley returning is a boost to the club,but he wont play any part unless Redhills progressed far into the competition.
There is a huge step up in class between Intermediate and Senior,
I think Redhills will struggle to stay up in the senior championship and i think they will be involved in the relegation playoff fixtures,but they will probably stay up.

Prediction-Relegation Play offs(wont progress from group stages)

Drumbride-Amalgamation of Drumgoon and Knockbride, some serious players in Michael McDonald,Keith Fannin,Michael Hannon,John Tierney,Larry Reily and Peter.
They are not alone there though  as there are Quality players throughout the panel
with Adrian Crossan,Ronan Keaskin,Michael Clarke etc
Talent wise they are as good as nearly any team in the senior championship except the Gaels.
But amalgamations are notoriously difficult to predict. With Knockbride and Drumgoon two favourites for the Intermediate,you would just woner how interested they will be in this team.

Prediction-cant see them progressing far to be honest.

Belturbet-Injection of newcomers over the past 18 months has rejuvinated what looked to be an aging team.
They have some quality young players in Conor Vaughan,Brendan Bud Fitzpatrick,Johnny Klusche and co.
Along with Jason Reily,Rory Donohoe and the returning Johnny Higgins,They will be a team to watch in the next few years.
Could realistically reach a semi final.

Prediction- Quarter Final

Lacken-They have played some terrific football in the league over the past 2 years but seem to have gone stale when championship comes,Perhaps too much training early in the year.
Have the potential in Joe/Trevor Crowe,Raymond Galligan,Finbar Reily and some good young players like Philip Moynagh to go far.
But just dont see them have a serious impact in the championship this year.

Prediction-will comfortably stay up,but will struggle to get out of the group stages.

Kingscourt-I think Kingscourt will really suprise people this year,i know they have been playing at a lower standard(Div 2)
but ive seen a couple of their games,and they are a completely rejuvinated team,fresh from all the drinking/controversery/ and clowing around that has dogged them over the past 2/3 years.
They have Quality players like Sean Og Gargan,Alan Clarke,Darragh Gunne,Joe McMahon,Daire McMahon,Philip Smith, amongst others etc

Prediction- i believe Kingscourt will reach either a semi final or final depending on the draw,Dont think they have what it takes yet to beat the Gaels,but i think they have the beating of any other team in the senior championship.

Castlerahan-have disappointed in the last few years,Should be legitimate contenders with players like Cian Mackey,Ronan Flanagan,Sean Brady backed by the likes of Dane Smith,John Clarke,Enda Mulvey,Nigel Duignan,Paul Brady and co.
They have Eamon Barry managing them this year so they may be on their way back to the latter stages.

Prediction-quarter finalists,have the potential to go further,but have flattered to deceive the last couple of years.

Gowna-You would think a team with McCabe,McKeever,and Pierson would be legitimate contenders and potential champions.
But i cant see it.
They have some good supporting players like,Niall Madden,Wille Stephens,Ciaran Fitzpatrick,Ciaran Brady jnr,but with Bernard Morris managing and not playing, and Ciaran Brady on his very last legs,they just dont have the overall quality of past Gowna Teams.
The big X Factor of course is Paddy Brady,
Hes been injury prone for the last 5 years,A fit Paddy Brady would leave this Gowna team as legitimate contenders,but ive seen nothing to believe he will be fit and back to his best.

Prediction- Quarter Finals most likely,McCabe could conceiveabely drag them to a county final on his own like he done two years ago,but i cant see it.

Ballinagh-
An awful lot of talent at this club,but circumstances with Supporters htting officials etc have left a cloud over the club over the past 18 months.
They have lost a fair bit of talent to Austrailia, Cian McDermott/Ciaran Brady are two i know thats gone,But the list is long so im told
a Fit and focused  Anthony Gaynor would be a great help,but with him,you just never know.
with all their missing players,they still have some great talent at the club,in Niall McDermott,Patrick Carroll,Damien McInerney,Podge,Alan Durkin,David Finnegan,Kevin Smith amongst others.
They are in a tough group though,so i cant see them progressing.
They will have more than enough to stay up though.

Prediction-wont get through the group stages

Crosserlough
2nd Bottom in Division One,they have been a mess this year since Ollie Murphy left them.
They will put in some decent performances in the championship,as they have some good players in Declan and Enda Gaffney,Johnny Crowe(if fit) Tomas McEvoy,Declan McCabe and co.

Prediction-Wont get past the group stages as they arent going well this year.
Could be a possible contender for relegation if they dont seriously improve.

Ramor Utd-
Going well in the league,
if all their players,Stephen Monaghan,Raymond Farrelly,Adrian Cole,Anton Reily,James McEnroe,Paddy McNamee and co are around and firing at all cylinders,they could go far
Ive also been told Keith Soden and Peter Monaghan are around this year(maybe Hollowman will confirm this)
Those two would be great additions to an already talented team.
Prediction-Have the talent to get to a final,But Semi or Quarter final is probably more realistic.

Cuchullains-
disasterous league campaign this year,
Things arent great in the camp,with Eugene Keating gone from them.
Lots of good players, in Barry Smith,Gavin Daly,Donnacha Dunne,Seamus Clarke and co though.
Prediction-Wont progress from the group,but wont have any relegation worries i dont think.

West Cavan Gaels-
Know nothing about them,Amalgamation of 3 junior teams from west Cavan from what im told.
I would say they will seriously be out of their depth.

Now i dont know group wise who is in which,so dont be bitching and complaining,if i tipped 3 teams from the same group to get to a semi or quarter final.
Intermediate tommorow.

cavan4ever

Someone had a productive afternoon  ;D

put-it-up

Quote from: cavan4ever on June 10, 2009, 04:59:42 PM

Haha! What do work as BHM? Must have been a quiet day at the office ;) Only buzzing, thanks for the preview. Was thinking about doing the intermediate one, but seems like a lot of effort! Now a lot about all the teams but I am sure the Celt will have something, il buy it if I leave the house today  ;D

Rollout

Gunners handball matches are being shown live on the internet if anyones interested.
Theres a small download at www.ushandball.org ,if i've worked the time difference out right his quarterfinal should be on at around 8 this evening.

St. Pats handball clubmen Pat Clerkin and James Brady are also competing and have good chances in the mens A and B resp.
http://cavan.handball.gaa.ie

The Ulster Handball Open 2007

Celt_Man

By the way, don't forget there is no relegation in the Senior and Intermediate championship this year and next
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

quite  :D

Quote from: put-it-up on June 10, 2009, 06:27:38 PM

Haha! What do work as BHM? Must have been a quiet day at the office ;) Only buzzing, thanks for the preview. Was thinking about doing the intermediate one, but seems like a lot of effort! Now a lot about all the teams but I am sure the Celt will have something, il buy it if I leave the house today  ;D

as you can see i do sweet f**k all,  ;D
pity i f**ked it all about  the relegation.

cavan4ever

From a poster on Hoganstand

I hear that four Cavan Gaels players who had planned to play football in Boston for the summer were deported from the airport over there on arrival. Please say that they have all signed sanctions and won't be allowed to play any football until August, how funny/embarrasing would that be?

Anyone hear anything bout this or is it crap?