Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: big balla on May 29, 2009, 11:25:53 PM
Quote from: Mr. Pain on May 29, 2009, 02:29:05 PM
Ok, comPainions Mr. Pain gives you credit for your current quest to find out his origins albeit through self-praising hilarity. As Mr. Pain previously stated, let's talk football. 

He just came across this piece on that junior game with a video clip:

www.anglocelt.ie/sport/matchreports/articles/2009/05/29/40096-givney-hattrick-not-enough-for-cavan/

Just click on the above, minions!
that clip was painfully bad, but i suppose i should expect that from you...

I doubt if Mr Pain works for the Celt.

put-it-up

I don't know who is who on this board anymore ;D

sams the aim

Johnston gone for fermanagh game.Supposedly did hamstring last nite at training

boojangles

Quote from: sams the aim on May 30, 2009, 11:53:43 AM
Johnston gone for fermanagh game.Supposedly did hamstring last nite at training

Just don't be rushing to conclusions,was talking to his Father this morning,it miten't be that bad.Time will tell.

anglocelt39

And so another year of Cavan's underage players snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory passes. It would break your bloody heart at this stage.

Was that a mirage a few pages back or has our Ramor representative done a Lazarus? Welcome back me aul mucker
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

This is getting beyond a joke now,  :(
watch Down go on and win the All Ireland now aswell!
The Cavan Minor team is cursed.

boojangles

Quote from: RednBlack on May 30, 2009, 05:26:59 PM
From what I was told being cursed had little to do with it. Took wrong options with time up. Carried ball into tackles and lost it when all they had to do was work and support each other and keep possession. By all accounts Down by far the better team.

Was told the same,all we had to do was give simple balls and keep possession,one Sub no 24 in particular was caught twice when he had men free,wouldnt give it.Same old story,although from reports I doubt Down will go much further.They were there for the taking but as usual Cavan has no killer instinct.

Babe Ruth 47

When I seen that minor result in the paper my heart sank, when will we ever get a decent run. There wasn't even much hype this year either for a change

put-it-up

Im sick of fellas saying typlical bloody Cavan (if i gave you a euro for everytime I have heard since Saturday, you would be loaded.) Can we please elaborate.

Year after year we appear to be producing groups of losers - minors and u21's fell at the first hurdle this year.
Last year's minors I thought were the best we have seen in a while, but this year - I don't know if the fifteen best players available were on the pitch on Saturday. And there was far too many young lads on the panel if you ask me. I thought a lot of our lads were very naive when it came to the crunch at the end. When we went one up, just like last year, everybody pulled back into our own half bar one. That just doesn't work at this level. It is telling teams to coming have a go and nine out of ten teams have someone capable of putting it over. No matter how could your defence, if everyone just sits back, the other team will eventually score.

To be serious at minor level you needs the bulk of your starting 15 to be actual minors. From what I have heard Mickey is an excellent manager (his CV backs that up too) and I would love to see him working with the minors for another year and then moving up to the u21's to work with the teams he already has in the best.

I no a few of you disagree, but i think the big problem for us is at u21 level. This years team, apparently trained and I quote "f**k all" and they were a big let down. The senior management are doing alright this year, but I really do feel the U21's need a seperate manager. A manager that feels the u21's is his number one prority.

Serious questions have to start being raised. Most years we have had players just as good, if not better than other counties, but we have won jack-shit. No-one seems to believe Cavan have a right to win anymore. How many times have teams been a point up and let it slip away?Snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory!

PS. I wanted to post this rant on Saturday but ended up in the pub for the bulk of three days :D Hope it is still of interest to ya's!

Homer

Cavan team for next Saturday

James Reilly
Michael Brides
Dermot Sheridan
Michael Hannon
John McCutcheon
Eugene Keating
Padraic O'Reilly
Nicolas Walsh
Ciaran Galligan
Sean Brady
Ronan Flanagan
Cian Mackey
Martin Reilly
Ray Cullivan
Sean Johnston

No huge surprises. A few of my own feelings on team...

Sheridan was always going to be FB has been solid enough since coming in and hopefully he can continue that form. Eoin Smith supposedly had great game last week for the juniors at FB so I'd be confident that he can step in if needs be.
It's hard to have a whole pile of confidence in Hannon and Brides, both are excellent footballers on their day, but they've also got their fair share of roastings this year too. Lets hope the big game brings out the best in them.
I've already commented on my apprehensions about Keating at CHB but too be fair I haven't seen a whole pile of him in that position and he might prove me wrong but if things aren't going his way I'd move Flanagan or possibly Podge here depending how they are getting on.
McCutcheon has been Cavan's most solid player all year and he's an easy starter. We'll need his huge engine.
Podge seems to have found a return to form of late after a very lethargic start to the year. He has a bit of a point to prove and hopefully he does exactly that.
Ciaran Galligan has been another solid player for Cavan this year and his selection is essential if only for his workrate.
Really haven't seen a whole pile of Walsh this year but he can often produce his best on the big day,
Sean Brady wouldn't be in my team but I suppose he must be doing something right? Maybe he can finally produce the goods.
Flanagan is undoubtedly a very clever player and hopefully he can make things happen from the forty. Good man to pick up breaks also.
Mackey has been a new man this year and always shows his best on the big day. We'll need plenty of tracking back from him.
Martin Reilly's move to corner forward seems to have brought out the best in him. We'll be relying heavily on his and Jelly's freetaking if we're going to get a result.
Cullivan is a big gamble at FF but it's likely he will roam to leave Jelly a bit more room inside.
Fingers crossed the stories about Jelly's injury are a bit exaggerated, we'll need him at his best, but just as importantly he'll need to be on his best behaviour.

Pierson is the obvious omission and may have been over-looked due to a lack of match fitness. If he is able to play I'd move Cullivan out to Sean Brady's place and have him in FF.

put-it-up

Quote from: Homer on June 02, 2009, 12:59:11 AM

James Reilly
Michael Brides
Dermot Sheridan
Michael Hannon
John McCutcheon
Eugene Keating
Padraic O'Reilly
Nicolas Walsh
Ciaran Galligan
Sean Brady
Ronan Flanagan
Cian Mackey
Martin Reilly
Ray Cullivan
Sean Johnston

Sheridan was always going to be FB has been solid enough since coming in and hopefully he can continue that form. Eoin Smith supposedly had great game last week for the juniors at FB so I'd be confident that he can step in if needs be.
It's hard to have a whole pile of confidence in Hannon and Brides, both are excellent footballers on their day, but they've also got their fair share of roastings this year too. Lets hope the big game brings out the best in them.
I've already commented on my apprehensions about Keating at CHB but too be fair I haven't seen a whole pile of him in that position and he might prove me wrong but if things aren't going his way I'd move Flanagan or possibly Podge here depending how they are getting on.
McCutcheon has been Cavan's most solid player all year and he's an easy starter. We'll need his huge engine.
Podge seems to have found a return to form of late after a very lethargic start to the year. He has a bit of a point to prove and hopefully he does exactly that.
Ciaran Galligan has been another solid player for Cavan this year and his selection is essential if only for his workrate.
Really haven't seen a whole pile of Walsh this year but he can often produce his best on the big day,
Sean Brady wouldn't be in my team but I suppose he must be doing something right? Maybe he can finally produce the goods.
Flanagan is undoubtedly a very clever player and hopefully he can make things happen from the forty. Good man to pick up breaks also.
Mackey has been a new man this year and always shows his best on the big day. We'll need plenty of tracking back from him.
Martin Reilly's move to corner forward seems to have brought out the best in him. We'll be relying heavily on his and Jelly's freetaking if we're going to get a result.
Cullivan is a big gamble at FF but it's likely he will roam to leave Jelly a bit more room inside.
Fingers crossed the stories about Jelly's injury are a bit exaggerated, we'll need him at his best, but just as importantly he'll need to be on his best behaviour.

Pierson is the obvious omission and may have been over-looked due to a lack of match fitness. If he is able to play I'd move Cullivan out to Sean Brady's place and have him in FF.

Wouldnt be worried about Cullivan in that role at all, I was very impressed with him against Wexford and think he has the brains to play that role correctly. Brides does worry me and I cannot believe Brady is starting, I just dont rate him at all.

I am slightly worried about Keating but I am sure the logic is for him to try play a sweeper role there and you might see Flanagan tucking back into the CB line at times if we are in trouble or under presssure?!

And yes the stories about Jelly are exaggerated

mylestheslasher

I'm not surprised but I have a few concerns..

Shierdan - Best we have but I would not be surprised if Carr was forced to use Smith at some stage
Brides - not as good as Fannin in my opinion
Martin Reilly - playing well but I suspect he will be too light to deal with the packed Fermanagh defence. A fit pierson would play here for me as he is bigger, stronger and a good shot under pressure.
Keating - Have not seen him play here but you'd be concerned that this is his 1st championship game and he is in such a critical position,

Brady, cullivan, Walsh and Galligan give us quite a bit of physical presence around the middle which is a nice to see and I think they can do well in there. I am optomistic for some reason on this match although I'm not sure if its the heart ruling the head.

Drung

I disagree with some of what you say Slasher.

QuoteShierdan - Best we have but I would not be surprised if Carr was forced to use Smith at some stage
Brides - not as good as Fannin in my opinion
Martin Reilly - playing well but I suspect he will be too light to deal with the packed Fermanagh defence. A fit pierson would play here for me as he is bigger, stronger and a good shot under pressure.
Keating - Have not seen him play here but you'd be concerned that this is his 1st championship game and he is in such a critical position,

Sheridan looks suited to this Carson fella, plus Eoin Smith has been exposed in challenge matches and was very poor for Cavan juniors too by all accounts. I think ti's a case of "the grass is always greener" with him.
Brides/Fannin - not much it it here, I agree. I would personally have Fannion wing-back.
Martin Reilly's speed could be a huge asset. Pierson is actin the maggot by all accounts and is notoriously unpredictable. Plus, he and Jelly don't play well togetehr. The FF line were unreal against Wexford, so Carr couldn't chnage it.
Keating started midfield against Kildare last year in the championship. I saw him play well for his club at CB before but it's  a big ask. Need a huge game from him.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Homer on June 02, 2009, 12:59:11 AM

James Reilly
Michael Brides
Dermot Sheridan
Michael Hannon
John McCutcheon
Eugene Keating
Padraic O'Reilly
Nicolas Walsh
Ciaran Galligan
Sean Brady
Ronan Flanagan
Cian Mackey
Martin Reilly
Ray Cullivan
Sean Johnston

By the way, is it confirmed that this is the team or just an educated guess??
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavan4ever

Was talking to one of the County lads at weekend and thats the team that they had but they werent sure if Johnston would make it.   Jason Reilly is supposed to be out also but he wouldnt have started anyway.