Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on May 23, 2009, 04:09:18 PM
Miller is a very laid back character, who Im sure can be very frustrating to manage at times but lets be honest we need his presence.In most Championship games he saves at least one certain goal.That is invaluable and theres no better shot stopper in the country IMO.He may not be the most energetic but when it comes to the big day he rarely lets Cavan down,which is what a lad should b judged on.Some boys need to be handled differently than most,but if it means making the odd exception for somebody like James then I think its worth it,for what he brings to the team.
Same could be said for McKeever and even more so for McCabe...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Miller supposedly refused to take part in some aspect of Training Carr insisted he  do.
Anyone know what this included?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on May 23, 2009, 04:20:45 PM
Miller is a very laid back character, who Im sure can be very frustrating to manage at times but lets be honest we need his presence.In most Championship games he saves at least one certain goal.That is invaluable and theres no better shot stopper in the country IMO.He may not be the most energetic but when it comes to the big day he rarely lets Cavan down,which is what a lad should b judged on.Some boys need to be handled differently than most,but if it means making the odd exception for somebody like James then I think its worth it,for what he brings to the team.
Same could be said for McKeever and even more so for McCabe...

Have to disagree CM, Miller had a disagreement with Carr over training drills,
The Two Gowna men had more serious problems in regard to discipline
McKeever went on a Binge when he wasnt supposed to,
This reportedly happened in previous years aswell.
McCabe 's reported relationship with and attitudes towards some other players,
Pierce McKenna and James Clarke being two prominent examples left alot to be desired.
He also didnt bother turning up to a key Pre Championship tune up game.

cavanmaniac

No personal offence intended boojangles, but this is the sort of hare-brained short term thinking that has Cavan in the mire we're in.

There are too many people out there, and you're not alone, being critical of Carr for giving gate to the likes of McKeever, McCabe and Miller, if it's true, because all they think about is the next match. Time and time again, managers thinking only of the next game and the football equivalent of the fast buck, indulged shitehawkers and leadswingers who - and just look at our record in the last few years for evidence - drag the thing down in the long term, irrespective of what they might do on a 'big day.'

f**k the big day, that's what I say.

The health of the county football team in Cavan and the liklihood of some sort of success in TC's reign, doesn't begin and end with one or two players who deign to come down from their pedestal and bless us with a big contribution on the big day. It's a year round, hard training, disciplined and proudful approach we need. League, challenges, winter nights hard training, that's what the lads have to sign up for, and most of all, sign up for a good dose of doing what the f**k they're told by the manager, and if they can't sign up to it, then leave and let someone else take their place. They'll go with the thanks of supporters who recognise that not everyone can make the commitment necessary. With patience, we'll be a hell of a lot better off in two seasons time, with a full squad of team players, than we would be by repeating the ills of previous years and constantly giving a stream of second chances to admittedly very talented players who keep shitting on their own doorstep time and time again in different ways. Everybody is equal and that's that. I obviously don't know what went on with Miller re: training drills, but would it kill any of our superstars to respect the team manager, be a team player and just do as he instructs?

Either we're serious about discipline or we're not. Either we're serious about not carrying passengers or we're not. Either we see the big picture and think long term, or we put a one-off game before the health of the county team for years to come.

If we have to lose a few games because the top players haven't committed, so be it. In my opinion, we'll be better for it in seasons to come.

mylestheslasher

Put it up/ Cavanmaniac - I agree totally. Its not enough to turn up for training - it has to be put in. If Miller or anyone else doesn't want to do drills or fitness tests then fine, go back playing for their club and let some young lad come  in that wants to play. The alternative is to send out a message that if your good enough you can do whatever you like. Thats where we were and thats where we need to move away from.

put-it-up

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 23, 2009, 08:19:29 PM
Put it up/ Cavanmaniac - I agree totally. Its not enough to turn up for training - it has to be put in. If Miller or anyone else doesn't want to do drills or fitness tests then fine, go back playing for their club and let some young lad come  in that wants to play. The alternative is to send out a message that if your good enough you can do whatever you like. Thats where we were and thats where we need to move away from.

we can put the boxing gloves away now :)

No offence intended, but I really don't think Fintan is up to the task of the Ulster Championship match. Think he would be a bit of a liability.

mylestheslasher

Whether he is up to it or not is irrelevant. The question is who is the best goalie available to the team. If Reilly is acting the p***k then Fintan is the man for the job. He hasn't done much wrong in any game I've seen him in.

Couple of results from today...

Div 1

C'Lough 0-7 Cavan Gaels 0-08
Lacken 3-7 Lavey 1-12

Div 2

Shercock 1-8 Drumalee 1-9
Drumlane 3-10 C'Lough 1-6
Killinkere 2-7 Killeshandra 1-11
Kingscourt 0-16 Cavan Gaels 0-02

Div 3

B'boro 3-10 Templeport 0-07
Kildallan 0-6 B'bridge 0-09
Swad 2-9 Shannon Gaels 0-15
Arva 0-6 Cornafean 0-09

Any game not listed was postponed due to weather.

Leaguers and Kingscourt steaming ahead in Div 2

boojangles

Quote from: cavanmaniac on May 23, 2009, 06:13:34 PM

No personal offence intended boojangles, but this is the sort of hare-brained short term thinking that has Cavan in the mire we're in.

There are too many people out there, and you're not alone, being critical of Carr for giving gate to the likes of McKeever, McCabe and Miller, if it's true, because all they think about is the next match. Time and time again, managers thinking only of the next game and the football equivalent of the fast buck, indulged shitehawkers and leadswingers who - and just look at our record in the last few years for evidence - drag the thing down in the long term, irrespective of what they might do on a 'big day.'

f**k the big day, that's what I say.

The health of the county football team in Cavan and the liklihood of some sort of success in TC's reign, doesn't begin and end with one or two players who deign to come down from their pedestal and bless us with a big contribution on the big day. It's a year round, hard training, disciplined and proudful approach we need. League, challenges, winter nights hard training, that's what the lads have to sign up for, and most of all, sign up for a good dose of doing what the f**k they're told by the manager, and if they can't sign up to it, then leave and let someone else take their place. They'll go with the thanks of supporters who recognise that not everyone can make the commitment necessary. With patience, we'll be a hell of a lot better off in two seasons time, with a full squad of team players, than we would be by repeating the ills of previous years and constantly giving a stream of second chances to admittedly very talented players who keep shitting on their own doorstep time and time again in different ways. Everybody is equal and that's that. I obviously don't know what went on with Miller re: training drills, but would it kill any of our superstars to respect the team manager, be a team player and just do as he instructs?

Either we're serious about discipline or we're not. Either we're serious about not carrying passengers or we're not. Either we see the big picture and think long term, or we put a one-off game before the health of the county team for years to come.

If we have to lose a few games because the top players haven't committed, so be it. In my opinion, we'll be better for it in seasons to come.

Thats the passion we need CavanManiac,but I think you misread what I was getting at there.I probably posted too soon because I dont know what went on with Miller.I dont know that he missed sessions or whats the story,I know he didnt play against us last week so he must be injured.All I picked up was that their was a clash of personalities with TC .I think James needs to be handled a bit differently but there are players like that with every county,if you read Mickey Hartes or Jack O Connors books,even the top counties have the lads that need constant motivating.But for a man of James Reillys ability then it is worth it.I never said that he should be let miss trainings or do his own thing. If he is missing trainings or not training hard then I totally agree with everything you said. We are far better off picking a committed 15 than 15 stars who aren't willing to put in the work all year round.

Never did I ask for McCabe or McKeever to be brought back in to the panel.I questioned the way McKeever was dropped,as there was more than 1 player that broke the rules that time.But I said that it was McKeevers second chance and they were right.

We bet Shercock tonight in a tight game as usual.6 points down in 2nd half but thanks to Gary Ferncombe in particular,we scraped a win.
Some county lads were playing tonight with their clubs which is good to hear.A competitive game will them no harm.

When are Cavan playing Wexford?

Western Blue

Let the Cull begin.!! Roy Keane ,Alex Ferguson Martin McHugh and Martin O'Neill  dont tolerate big egos .  Let T.C. put out those players that put in the work since Jan. The team that plays Wexford tonight in Dublin will be the team to play Fermanagh.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on May 23, 2009, 04:22:06 PM
Miller supposedly refused to take part in some aspect of Training Carr insisted he  do.
Anyone know what this included?

I'd say it involved working up a sweat.

put-it-up

where is the game tonight lads and what time is it at? If you let me know Il try get out to it and see how it goes!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: This Years Model on May 22, 2009, 02:38:03 PM
Lads, any of ye hear about a Challenge between Cavan and Wexford in Ballyboden/St Enda's this Sunday evening?
Would any of ye know what time?
Thanks.

Put it up - See above.

Red n black said its on at 7pm.

Homer

Match is in Ballyboden at 7.00

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 23, 2009, 10:08:50 PMC'Lough 0-7 Cavan Gaels 0-08

Supposedly this match actually finished a draw but the scoreboard had it wrong and everyone left thinking that was the result

cavanmaniac

Quote from: boojangles on May 24, 2009, 02:08:03 AM
Thats the passion we need CavanManiac,but I think you misread what I was getting at there.I probably posted too soon because I dont know what went on with Miller.I dont know that he missed sessions or whats the story,I know he didnt play against us last week so he must be injured.All I picked up was that their was a clash of personalities with TC .I think James needs to be handled a bit differently but there are players like that with every county,if you read Mickey Hartes or Jack O Connors books,even the top counties have the lads that need constant motivating.But for a man of James Reillys ability then it is worth it.I never said that he should be let miss trainings or do his own thing. If he is missing trainings or not training hard then I totally agree with everything you said. We are far better off picking a committed 15 than 15 stars who aren't willing to put in the work all year round.

Fair play for the restrained response boojangles, reading my own post back I probably came across a bit narky and I didn't intend that, it's just that this is a particular hobby horse of mine for a long time now and I tend to get up on the old soapbox about it! ;D

I don't disagree with you in the slightest that certain players need to be handled differently to get the best out of them, but always and only within the confines of the rules that every player is asked to adhere to. Not doing as instructed in training would be a no-no in that regard, and if he got gate for it or whatever, then it's nobody's fault but his own.

Btw, when I mentioned McCabe and McKeever I wasn't referring to you specifically, more to general comments and vibes I pick up discussing the matter with various people and reading about it etc.

It's hard to accept having to do without good players but they effectively take the decision themselves when they act the maggot, and I'm more pleased than not to finally see a manager laying down the law and taking no shit. It's what we all prayed for and although TC's unlikely to win anything with us, his legacy will hopefully be the decent foundation he leaves behind for the managers that follow him.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Thanks Put-It-Up. You really should look for a job with some of the local partners. Can you just clear up that it was Sean Brady at wing-forward and not The Gunner? Is the latter around for the Fermanagh game?