Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on May 19, 2009, 12:58:45 PM
Quote from: boojangles on May 19, 2009, 11:12:37 AM
Boys I just wouldnt be expecting too much from Cavan just yet.I definitely wont be getting my hopes up,and expecting a Cavan win,because we know by no not to expect much,even if we are expecting to win.Fermanagh will be well drilled on how to stop Cavans main threat ie. Jelly and after that it all depends how the rest step up to the mark.Lyng is a huge loss,the best passer of the ball we have and definitely a key man in unlocking a tight defence but anyway.
Cavan Juniors are playing in the Championship next week I believe,I hear they are looking for players for a challenge in Meath tonight.I dont think they are too picky,I wonder is Mr Pain around? we could do with his hard man,straight talking type against the Royals! :P :P

This could prove to be the perfect game to see how far Carr has come with this group in a short space of time. The overwhelming opinion was that our attitude stank and what we'll need to beat Fermanagh will be all the mental attributes we've been sadly lacking. I wouldn't judge Carr if we were to still be found wanting at this stage as Fermanagh have a great level of determination, fitness and pig-headed desire to win that our lads might struggle to match.
With 2 relatively small,mobile teams in opposition, people may expect a good open game but I think this game will be won by the team thats willing to put in the most work.Breaks,Tackles,Blocks,Blocking runs,diving on ball,putting bodies on the line etc. Fermanagh look very well organised so you can expect the above from them. Now its Cavans turn to show how much they want it.

Denn Forever

I worry is

1   Will/Do we have a game plan
2   Can we stick to it

Hers hoping
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 19, 2009, 05:18:32 PM
I worry is

1   Will/Do we have a game plan
2   Can we stick to it

Hers hoping

We have to have a game plan,although theres no point in over complicating it really,Football is a simple game.But my worry is, if our initial game plan isnt working(guessing at 2 men inside with Mackey/Cullivan/Flanagan roaming) ,will the players have to cop on to see its not working and change it,without waiting for TC to change it.
We have a few options like Givney on the square but it mite b a bit much to ask of him.He is definitely worth a chance,just not sure TC agrees.

the salmon of knowledge

Quote from: cavan4ever on May 19, 2009, 09:08:17 AM
Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on May 18, 2009, 07:36:36 PM
Quote from: boojangles on May 17, 2009, 01:04:19 PM
James Reilly didnt play for Drung last night,he was with the team tho,he must be injured.Galligan done well enough.Barry Watters-IMO very over rated,didnt stand out.Takes far too much out of the ball.
onAnybody hear that Eugene Keating has refused to play for Cuchulainns at the moment,he is concentrating  Cavan??Also heard that Mark Little is Gaels (not Enniskillen) bound??
Anybody shed light?

i am told by a CuCu player he was named on the team to play ramor and didnt even show up! was not his desicion

Salmon what do you mean by it wasnt his decison.  Is someone stopping him from playing with his club?

yes C4E, from what i hear, and its a pretty reliable fellow, the players and mentors agreed that after his antics at the ramor game they did not want him anymore...

the salmon of knowledge

mackey and martin reilly donig the roaming seems to be whats going to take place, for me the tactic of a target man at FF is one to start the game with not deploy as a result of other things going wrong. it is not one i would use at all because fermanagh will just play a sweeper to mop up. givney will get there at senior grade, that is a certainty, but to go from one good season at JFC to spearheading the county teams championship lineup would be roy of the rovers stuff.
anyway who is going to deliver in this quality early ball to the FF line, for all the league games i have been at, noone this year has released early, good ball on a regular basis.
maybe some of you guys think different

boojangles

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on May 19, 2009, 09:13:09 PM
mackey and martin reilly donig the roaming seems to be whats going to take place, for me the tactic of a target man at FF is one to start the game with not deploy as a result of other things going wrong. it is not one i would use at all because fermanagh will just play a sweeper to mop up. givney will get there at senior grade, that is a certainty, but to go from one good season at JFC to spearheading the county teams championship lineup would be roy of the rovers stuff.
anyway who is going to deliver in this quality early ball to the FF line, for all the league games i have been at, noone this year has released early, good ball on a regular basis.
There can be too much made of what grade of football lads play at.The bottom line is if he is good enough he can play at any level.Pat Spillane played at Junior level in Kerry and the last time I checked he was on the Team of Century and Millenium with 8 All-Ireland medals. Jason Reilly was one the most exciting talents to come on the scene with Cavan in years,he started out with Belturbet as Junior,Peter and Larry Reilly the same.
If a lad is good enough and works hard at his game to improve himself,what does it matter whether he is playing Senior or Junior.
David Givney can give Cavan options at Midfield,at 14 or as a half forward-we dont have many men who can do that for us.I don't think he will or should start but he is an excellent option to have,as shown by his display at midfield in the 2nd half in Newry.
McCutcheon,Paul the Gunner,Flanagan,Cullivan and Martin Reilly are all good passers of the ball,it just has to be drilled into them to hit it early,if thats the plan they are going with.

You definitely couldnt blame the CuCus for taking that stance. It really is an unbelievable situation though and it would only happen in Cavan. I wonder whats Niall Lynchs views on it?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on May 19, 2009, 11:15:08 PM
There can be too much made of what grade of football lads play at.The bottom line is if he is good enough he can play at any level.Pat Spillane played at Junior level in Kerry and the last time I checked he was on the Team of Century and Millenium with 8 All-Ireland medals. Jason Reilly was one the most exciting talents to come on the scene with Cavan in years,he started out with Belturbet as Junior,Peter and Larry Reilly the same.
If a lad is good enough and works hard at his game to improve himself,what does it matter whether he is playing Senior or Junior.
David Givney can give Cavan options at Midfield,at 14 or as a half forward-we dont have many men who can do that for us.I don't think he will or should start but he is an excellent option to have,as shown by his display at midfield in the 2nd half in Newry.
McCutcheon,Paul the Gunner,Flanagan,Cullivan and Martin Reilly are all good passers of the ball,it just has to be drilled into them to hit it early,if thats the plan they are going with.

You definitely couldnt blame the CuCus for taking that stance. It really is an unbelievable situation though and it would only happen in Cavan. I wonder whats Niall Lynchs views on it?
Could somebody please tell me/remind me what happened at the Ramor game?

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on May 20, 2009, 09:26:35 AM
Quote from: boojangles on May 19, 2009, 11:15:08 PM

Could somebody please tell me/remind me what happened at the Ramor game?
Salmon of Knowledge was informed that he didnt show up for the game.

put-it-up

I've heard strange situations before about Keating, even when he was in school there used to be some crazy stuff going on about will he or will he not play with the team.

I do understand it is not him though, there is, lets say another influence that has a big say in what he does!

ITS crazy that he is not playing with his club though. Personally I feel he wont get a lot of pitch time in the coming weeks if thats the case, because I just dont see him starting with Cavan...certainly not at CB anyway

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up on May 20, 2009, 12:19:33 PM
I've heard strange situations before about Keating, even when he was in school there used to be some crazy stuff going on about will he or will he not play with the team.

I do understand it is not him though, there is, lets say another influence that has a big say in what he does!

ITS crazy that he is not playing with his club though. Personally I feel he wont get a lot of pitch time in the coming weeks if thats the case, because I just dont see him starting with Cavan...certainly not at CB anyway

Who is this other influence you speak off?? Is it a Bird,or is it a Plane??

On another note,heard David Givney was outstanding for Cavan Juniors last nite against Meath at Full-Forward.Couldnt handle him at all.

put-it-up

sorry boojangles, its underdog! I think that is how the cartoon went.

Sorry I don't think it is right to say it on here! But who has a major say over a young man? I dont want to go into the in's and out's of it.

I am delighted David is hitting a bit of form. I know he took the early subbing against, correct me if I am wrong, Roscommon to heart. It really knocked his confidence.

Would be a nice impact sub against Fermanagh. Any other news from that game sir?

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up on May 21, 2009, 12:20:41 AM
sorry boojangles, its underdog! I think that is how the cartoon went.

Sorry I don't think it is right to say it on here! But who has a major say over a young man? I dont want to go into the in's and out's of it.

I am delighted David is hitting a bit of form. I know he took the early subbing against, correct me if I am wrong, Roscommon to heart. It really knocked his confidence.

Would be a nice impact sub against Fermanagh. Any other news from that game sir?

It was against Roscommon,It was a an awful thing to do on a young lad,especially when our problem that day wasnt in our half forward line but anyway,good to hear he is back to form and can play a big part in the Fermanagh match if given the chance.

Didnt hear too much,Terry Hyland one corner,Tomas Reilly was full-back,Johnny Higgins centre half( who was actually asked in to the Senior set-up but declined),Enda McCormack wing half, Donal Thomas and Niall Madden centre field,Givney full-forward,didnt hear the rest.We won a few points. Who are the Juniors playing in the Championship anyway?

Celt_Man

Not so bad. Did I see Levi Murphy's name mentioned with them a couple of weeks ago? And I think Sean Maguire and John Tierney are still involved. They are playing Louth next Wednesday - Champions league final night!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

jimjim

Think the team was something like this. Not sure of a couple of the players or names.

Drumlane Goalie??
Terry Hyland
Tomas Reilly
Killenkere corner back
Enda Mc Cormack
J Higgins
Killenkere player - plays wing back/midfield for them
Donal Thomas
Niall Madden
Anton Reilly
Ronan Reilly
Brady - Lavey
????
Givney
????

Givney scored 5 points in 1st half. Brought out midfield but went out of the game then.
Were losing by 6 points and came back to win.
Sean Maguire was brought on midfield with Givney but was not working so brought out Higgins and then they started winning ball.
Eamon Costello and Levi Murphy came on.
Put Anton Reilly in FF and scored 2 goals.
They also had a number of players missing.
Good result so hopefully they can go on a run now.

put-it-up

who is Johnny Higgins lads?