Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on May 17, 2009, 09:01:22 PM
Suprised Drung beat Drumalee,
Like ourselves,Drumalee have underachieved in the league so far,
Probably missing the leadership and abilities of Mr Boojangles  :P
Drung on 6 points now???
Told ye, you would pick up points C4ever  :P

Good to be on 6 but still have tough games to come, we have the teams at the top played so we are up against teams in similar suituations as ourselves from now on.  Niall O'rourke started on saturday evening and played quiet well.  Its great to see him back playing again after so many years out.

boojangles

Couldnt believe when I seen Niall O Rourke as rite,I thought he had retired for good.I remember him as a Cavan Minor,like all the O Rourkes,serious talent.Whats the story on Karl? Who was your full-back on Saturday C4Ever?

Homer

I'm quite hopeful we can overturn Fermanagh in Breffni. The big worry for me is whether we can match their workrate.

With the Fermanagh match being on a Saturday evening does anyone know what the plan is for the Down minor game? I presume it won't be played as a curtain raiser anyway.

put-it-up

Quote from: Homer on May 18, 2009, 01:46:30 PM
I'm quite hopeful we can overturn Fermanagh in Breffni. The big worry for me is whether we can match their workrate.

With the Fermanagh match being on a Saturday evening does anyone know what the plan is for the Down minor game? I presume it won't be played as a curtain raiser anyway.

the minors play Down on May 30, which i think is the Saturday, in the Athletic Grounds Armagh in their first round game. I'm really not expecting much from them, heard they lost to Westmeath and Roscommon in challenges in the last two weeks.

Lyng is definetly out of the senior game, which is disappointing. We will neeed a bit of creativity to break down Fermanagh..man they are boring to watch

cavanmaniac

Fermanagh are definitely no world beaters but then again, neither are we.

My concerns having watched them v Down yesterday is that their big no.14 might do some damage under high ball, and as mentioned above, their workrate will take matching. It seems Keogan was right all along!

As usual the middle eight is where it will be won and lost. We have to break even at kickouts and get direct and long, accurate ball in before Fermanagh funnel everyone back, and hopefully we have the pace in attack to hit them on the break if their attacks break down. Their defence looked decent v Down but a lot of that was surely to do with how awful Down were at engineering attacks. Flanagan, Gunner and Mackey will have to get up and down the park and pick out the long passes from deep and I'm confident that they can do this.

I see it as an evely matched game with maybe home advantage swinging it our way. I expect to see Cavan being a very different animal to the league when, even from the outside looking in as I was, we never seemed too bothered apart from two games that TC would badly have wanted to win, i.e. v Down when the world and his mother was laughing at us following the loss to Tipp, and v Ros where he'd have wanted to stick it to them after the way he was treated there. So I'm hopeful we can apply ourselves like that more consistently in championship.

Having read that Dessie Dolan knocked over alot of frees in that challenge v Westmeath though, and looking at Fermanagh tapping over frees on Sunday, there's a major concern that our jittery defence will resort to silly fouling and cough up cheap scores. Or the ref might just be one of those whistle-happy eejits that buys every dive. If we work hard on disciplined tackling - Down clearly hadn't - then we'll take a lot of the sting out of Fermanagh.

That's my tuppence worth anyway. Cavan by two I'll say.

Babe Ruth 47

Fermanagh's defence did look the part alright but as Maniac said a lot of this is due to a very one dimensional Down attack. The key men will be Mackey and Flanagan and their ability to ball carry. I feel the key man though may be Martin Reilly. His ability to pick out a pass is second to none and its rare you see him waste possession from the boot. My instict is that he will line out in the full forward line ad come deep acting as a link man, along with Mackey between deence ad attack. As also stated quick chest high ball in front of our full forwards will be key before Fermanagh get a chance to flter men back.

If you go through the teams individually I believe their is morre natual talent in the Cavan squad. All depends how we operate as a unit. Hopefully too if we put enough pressure on the Fermanagh forwards they will revert to type. I fully expect us to win, albeit narrowlyl

cavan4ever

Quote from: boojangles on May 18, 2009, 11:09:45 AM
Couldnt believe when I seen Niall O Rourke as rite,I thought he had retired for good.I remember him as a Cavan Minor,like all the O Rourkes,serious talent.Whats the story on Karl? Who was your full-back on Saturday C4Ever?

When Joe Fitz are manager came last year he got talking to Niall and sent him to a surgeon in Belfast who looks after the Cross and Armagh players and he found a problem with the work done by previous surgeons and operated sorted him out.  I dont know where Karl was the other evening but he was playing poor and had lost his place, he was late coming back and missed a few games at start of the year.  Finabar O'Reilly was full back on saturday.

Western Blue

Just our luck...What is the extent of Michael Lyng injury...Has he any hope of making the game on the 6th June : ???

the salmon of knowledge

Quote from: boojangles on May 17, 2009, 01:04:19 PM
James Reilly didnt play for Drung last night,he was with the team tho,he must be injured.Galligan done well enough.Barry Watters-IMO very over rated,didnt stand out.Takes far too much out of the ball.
onAnybody hear that Eugene Keating has refused to play for Cuchulainns at the moment,he is concentrating  Cavan??Also heard that Mark Little is Gaels (not Enniskillen) bound??
Anybody shed light?

i am told by a CuCu player he was named on the team to play ramor and didnt even show up! was not his desicion

the salmon of knowledge

on the down game...
was it just me or did anyone think Bannon gave Fermanagh everything???
we could have big problems with that Carson guy at 14 for them

cavan4ever

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on May 18, 2009, 07:40:09 PM
on the down game...
was it just me or did anyone think Bannon gave Fermanagh everything???
we could have big problems with that Carson guy at 14 for them

Id say Dermot Sheridan will be fit for him, well im hoping anyway. 

ExiledGael

Have also heard the Little story from the Fermanagh end of things. All is not well.
Also anyone saying that Cavan posess far greater natural talent than Fermanagh is just wrong.
This is very close to a fifty fifty game, Fermanagh (St Micks) have been producing superb footballers for the last 10/15 years, many of whom have won McRory's and Sigersons.
Looking forward to this though.

cavan4ever

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on May 18, 2009, 07:36:36 PM
Quote from: boojangles on May 17, 2009, 01:04:19 PM
James Reilly didnt play for Drung last night,he was with the team tho,he must be injured.Galligan done well enough.Barry Watters-IMO very over rated,didnt stand out.Takes far too much out of the ball.
onAnybody hear that Eugene Keating has refused to play for Cuchulainns at the moment,he is concentrating  Cavan??Also heard that Mark Little is Gaels (not Enniskillen) bound??
Anybody shed light?

i am told by a CuCu player he was named on the team to play ramor and didnt even show up! was not his desicion

Salmon what do you mean by it wasnt his decison.  Is someone stopping him from playing with his club?

boojangles

Boys I just wouldnt be expecting too much from Cavan just yet.I definitely wont be getting my hopes up,and expecting a Cavan win,because we know by no not to expect much,even if we are expecting to win.Fermanagh will be well drilled on how to stop Cavans main threat ie. Jelly and after that it all depends how the rest step up to the mark.Lyng is a huge loss,the best passer of the ball we have and definitely a key man in unlocking a tight defence but anyway.
Cavan Juniors are playing in the Championship next week I believe,I hear they are looking for players for a challenge in Meath tonight.I dont think they are too picky,I wonder is Mr Pain around? we could do with his hard man,straight talking type against the Royals! :P :P

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on May 19, 2009, 11:12:37 AM
Boys I just wouldnt be expecting too much from Cavan just yet.I definitely wont be getting my hopes up,and expecting a Cavan win,because we know by no not to expect much,even if we are expecting to win.Fermanagh will be well drilled on how to stop Cavans main threat ie. Jelly and after that it all depends how the rest step up to the mark.Lyng is a huge loss,the best passer of the ball we have and definitely a key man in unlocking a tight defence but anyway.
Cavan Juniors are playing in the Championship next week I believe,I hear they are looking for players for a challenge in Meath tonight.I dont think they are too picky,I wonder is Mr Pain around? we could do with his hard man,straight talking type against the Royals! :P :P

This could prove to be the perfect game to see how far Carr has come with this group in a short space of time. The overwhelming opinion was that our attitude stank and what we'll need to beat Fermanagh will be all the mental attributes we've been sadly lacking. I wouldn't judge Carr if we were to still be found wanting at this stage as Fermanagh have a great level of determination, fitness and pig-headed desire to win that our lads might struggle to match.